/* */

PDA

View Full Version : • Surgery begins to save Bihar girl with 2 bodies

Admin
11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Bangalore surgery: 'Pray for our daughter please'

November 06, 2007 16:54 IST
They wanted to build a temple for her. Lakshmi , who was born recently at Araria village in Bihar, was treated as a goddess thanks to the fact that she has two bodies united at the pelvis.
However, for the doctors she is an ischiopagus conjoined twin. One of the twins is headless and has two pairs of arms and legs.
Lakshmi is in Bangalore and a 40-hour surgery on her has just commenced at the Sparsh hospital.
Just after she was born, news of her peculiar body spread across the village and people rushed to see her with garlands.
Her parents were offered huge chunks of money to give up the baby. The villagers initially wanted to put her up on display, but later they decided that they would construct a temple and keep her on display there.
However, her parents refused all such offers and wanted to get their daughter treated.
They first went to Delhi, but the doctors there said the case was too complicated. As the parents left for their native place, a team of doctors from Sparsh hospital headed by Dr Sharan Patil rushed to Bihar and offered medical help to the parents.
They readily agreed and came down to Bangalore.
Dr Sharin Patil said before the surgery that it would risky and would involve a team of 36 doctors.
He also said that the surgery would come up to Rs 26 lakh and the expenses would be borne by the hospital. He also said that it is a great challenge and hoped that the operation would be successful.
Dr Patil said that during the operation, there would be a risk of cerebro spinal fluid leakage when the spine is being operated.
This will have to be controlled. Moreover, the vertebral column has to be separated. The one kidney with the parasitic twin has to be moved up and reconstructed.
The ordeal does not end here. Another surgery will have to be conducted on the child after four weeks, only after which the child would be normal.
As the surgery commenced, her father Shambu was seen praying. He told rediff.com that he is hopeful that the operation will be successful.
"I have faith in the doctor. If the operation is successful, it is great and if not, I would only say it is the will of God. Pray for our daughter please," Shambu, who was both nervous and emotional, said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
:sl:

Innaalillaah!!

I was watching a news report earlier on where they said the locals have taken her as a Goddess and are now worshiping her. Something to do with her resembling the Hindu Goddess of Wealth! Wal-'Iyaathubillaah.

wilberhum
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Being considered a Goddess is sure better than being considered a freak and outcast.

I just hope the surgery goes well for her.

Joe98
11-06-2007, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Admin
If the operation is successful, it is great and if not, I would only say it is the will of God. Pray for our daughter please,
He forgot to say that it is the will of God that the child be born this way in the first place.

This is the type of god that makes an Athiest a believer!

-

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
11-08-2007, 04:48 AM
In the newspaper this morning i found the good news: she is well and the surgery was successful. She became a very healthy little girl, like the other children of her age :statisfie

Muezzin
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Being considered a Goddess is sure better than being considered a freak and outcast.
Yeah, but the circus wanted to buy her. :-\

I just hope the surgery goes well for her.
I believe it has - News: It's Clickable

wilberhum
11-09-2007, 09:16 PM

This computed axial tomography (CT scan) provided on Thursday by the Sparsh Hospital shows 2-year-old Lakshmi before she underwent surgery in Bangalore, India. The Indian girl born with four arms and four legs was in stable condition Thursday, a day after surgeons completed a marathon operation to remove her extra limbs, doctors said. (AP Photo/Sparsh Hospital)
(November 08, 2007)

amirah_87
11-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Here's a CT scan of her after the surgery:

Walhamdulillaah.

Muezzin
11-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Kind of makes you wonder. Before the op, how the heck did they change her nappy?

Tania
11-11-2007, 07:15 AM
In the newspaper wrote this morning that she wake up from op. :)

*"Bangalore: The “eight-limbed” girl from Bihar, Lakshmi Tatma, who was operated upon by doctors to separate her from her parasitic conjoined twin, has regained consciousness and is making steady progress but still needs to be under observation. "

*"“She responded when her name was called and has been moving her eyes around. She also managed to move her fingers and toes. She even smiled at her mother and when they were leaving the ward she started crying,” Dr. Patil said. "

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/10/stor...1053800400.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.