/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Struggling and striving against oneself

madeenahsh
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Struggling and striving against oneself
A muslim realizes that his greatest enemy is his own soul within his skin, By Its nature, it leads him to evil and makes him flee from Allaah.It orders him to do evil as mentioned in the Quran:
And I free not myself (from the blame). Verily, the (human) self is inclined to evil, except when my Lord bestows His Mercy (upon whom He wills). Verily, my Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
The soul loves calmness and relaxaion. It desires free time and idlenss.it i sswept away with desires. it will happily follow its present lusts even though they may lead to its misery and destruction..

If a muslim realizes that, he takes it upon himself to struggle against his soul, He declares wars against it.He prepares his weapons to do battle with it. He determines to sturggle against its heedlessness and immturity.He is ready to content with his desires. If his sould want rest, he puts it to work, If it seeks desires , He forbids it , If it falls short in obeying Allaah or doing goof deeds , he punishes it and censures it.Then he makes it perform what it faild to do by making up what it missed.He Follows that disciplining course until the soul becomes tranquil, pure and wholesome.This is the goal of striiving against oneself

Allaah has said:. As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our Paths (i.e. Allahs Religion - Islamic Monotheism). And verily, Allah is with the Muhsinoon (good doers)."
If a Muslim strives against his base self for the sale of Allaah, in order to purify it, refine it make it wholesome and tranquil, he becomes befitting of Allaah's Special blessings and pleasure.This is the training of the pious and the path of th sincere, true believers, The person follows along in their footsteps.Allaah's Messenger Sallallahu alyihi wasalaam for example, would pray at might until his two noble feel would bless.When he was asked about that , he would say

Shall I not be thankful servant? (Al Bukhari and Muslim)

What better example of striving can be given than that?

Ali May Allah be please with him,was once talking about the Companionds of Allaah's Messenger Sallallahu alyhi wasallam .He said:By Allaah I witnessed the Companions of Muhammad Sallallahu alyhi wasallam and I do not see anyone similar to them.In the morning they would be disheveled, covered with dust, yellowish in skin.They had spent the whole night in prostration and stanind (in prayers), reciting the Book of Allaah , spening their time between standing on their feet and being with their forehead on the ground.If Allaah's Name is mentioned, they would sway like a tree sways on the windy day. Their eyes would cry to the point that thier clothing would become wet."
Abu Ad Darda, May Allah be pleased with him, said :" if it were not for three things,I would not like to live even for one day. These three are: Having thirst for the sake of Allaah during the midday heat, Prostration for Allaah's sake during the middle of the night, and sitting with a people who choose themost pleasant speech in the same ways that one choose the sweetest fruit:"
Umar bin Al Khattab , May Allaah Be Pleased with him, reproached himself for missing the Asr prayers in congregation by giving away a piece of land that was worth 200,000 Dirhams.
When 'Adbullah bin umar, may Allaah be pleased with him would miss a prayers in congregation, he would spend that whole night in prayer .One night , he delayed the magrib prayers until two stars had appeared.Therefore he freed two slaves.
Ali MayAllaah be pleased with him said: May Allah have mercy on a people whom he others think are ill but they are not ill.That is simply the effect of the strugling against their soul."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.