/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Finding Noah's Ark

IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Finding Noah’s ark

Question:
Assalaamualaikum, I have heard that Noah's ark was found a few years ago using references from the Quraán as opposed to the bible. Is this true?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"The people of Nuh denied (their Messenger) before them, they rejected Our slave, and said: ‘A madman!’ and he was insolently rebuked and threatened.
Then he invoked his Lord (saying): ‘I have been overcome, so help (me)!’
So We opened the gates of heaven with water pouring forth.
And We caused the earth to gush forth with springs. So the waters (of the heaven and the earth) met for a matter predestined.
And We carried him on a (ship) made of planks and nails,
Floating under Our Eyes, a reward for him who had been rejected!
And, indeed, We have left this as a sign, is there then any that will remember (or receive admonition)?
Then how (terrible) was My Torment and My Warnings!"
[al-Qamar 54:9-16]

In his Tafseer, Ibn Katheer, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: "‘And, indeed, We have left this as a sign, is there then any that will remember (or receive admonition)?’ refers to this story, which serves as a lesson." It was also suggested that it referred to the ship or ark itself, which was left so that those who came after the people of Nuh might learn lessons from it and not reject the Messengers. Qutaadah said: "Allaah left it in Baaqirdi in the Arabian Peninsula (a place in Iraq), as a lesson and a sign, so that the first generations of this ummah would see it. How many ships have there been after it that have turned to dust and left no trace!"
The apparent meaning is that this refers to ships in general, as in the aayaat (interpretation of the meaning):
"And an aayah (sign) for them is that We bore their offspring in the laden ship (of Nuh),
And We have created for them of the like thereunto, so on them they ride."
Yaa-Seen 36:41-42]

"Verily! When the water rose beyond its limits [Nuh’s Flood], We carried you [mankind] in the floating (ship that was constructed by Nuh).
That We might make it a remembrance for you, and the keen ear (person) may (hear and) understand it."
[al-Haaqqah 69:11-12]

Hence Allaah says here "is there then any that will remember (or receive admonition)?" i.e., is there anyone who will remember and learn?

In his tafseer of the words "We have left this as a sign" Ibn Katheer, may Allaah have mercy on him, mentions three opinions:

1. That Allaah has left this story as a lesson to those who come after the people of Nuh;
2. That Allaah has left the ship of Nuh so that subsequent nations may see it and learn from it how Allaah saved the believers and destroyed the kuffaar.
3. That Allaah taught mankind how to make ships and left this invention as a reminder of His blessings and how Nuh’s children and the believers were saved by means of a ship like those which are well-known.

In any case, there is nothing that would go against either Islamic teaching or reason if Nuh’s ark were to be discovered and if generations of mankind after Nuh were to see it, because it would be a sign to them. The issue would be how to prove that the ship discovered was really Nuh’s ark; not everyone who finds an ancient ship and claims it to be Nuh’s ark is to be believed. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Nowadays, certian people would find a toothpick on some mountainside and claim it to be a remnant of Noah's Ark.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Nowadays, certian people would find a toothpick on some mountainside and claim it to be a remnant of Noah's Ark.
be careful bro, what if it really is :p lol

i get your point, but still its nice to be optimistic about these things, gives us excitement

wilberhum
11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Several years ago I saw witching a program about someone who saw evidence from some old WWII photos.

He was going to use those photos to find the Arc.

He said, if the Arc was found, it would be the greatest find in the last 2000 years because it would prove Jesus was god. :skeleton:

Now isn’t that kind of logic scary? :?

It is also further proof that there is no end to what people will believe.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 08:31 PM
^ i just found the article interesting party pooper !!

lol how does finding the arc prove jesus was God? ;D

wilberhum
11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ i just found the article interesting party pooper !!

lol how does finding the arc prove jesus was God? ;D
If the Arc is true, then the Bible it true.
If what the Bible says is true, then Jeus is god.

Just another idot that has no concept of proof. :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah%27s_ark
Believers in the historicity of the Genesis account feel that finding the Ark would validate their views on a whole range of matters, from geology to evolution. "If the flood of Noah indeed wiped out the entire human race and its civilization, as the Bible teaches, then the Ark constitutes the one remaining major link to the pre-flood World. No significant artifact could ever be of greater antiquity or importance.... [with] tremendous potential impact on the creation-evolution (including theistic evolution) controversy.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.