/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pets?

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 09:06 PM
:sl:
We have a fish and a cat thread so i thought to make a "pets" thread.
Do you have any pets? Jee, no? Would you like to have any? Whats your favorite animal?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
11-09-2007, 09:42 PM
are you sure you really want to know? ;D

Pk_#2
11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
Yah go on,

I once had many things buh not anymore :(

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 09:50 PM
at the moment i only have10 snakes, 17 lizards, a cat (plus 2 more stray cats), 2 gold fish, 2 frogs, an unknown number of cockroaches (in a cage), and 6 tarantulas and 2 scorpions. i think that's everybody. :statisfie
plus a number of critters that i keep to feed to other critters.
i have had just about any kind of pet imaginable because i am quite a nutter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I have lots of animals too:D:)!
Yeah i do!

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
I have lots of animals too:D:)!

Yeah i do!
what do you have (besides fish)? do you have creepy animals, or Sensible ones? :D

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
at the moment i only have10 snakes, 17 lizards, a cat (plus 2 more stray cats), 2 gold fish, 2 frogs, an unknown number of cockroaches (in a cage), and 6 tarantulas and 2 scorpions. i think that's everybody. :statisfie
You know i could swear i replied to this post!!!
Only hope it wasnt some where else!^o) But anyway a repeat, what do you do with scorpions and frogs? And dont the cockroaches come out of the cage?!! Not my line, thats for sure!

'Abd al-Baari
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

at the moment i only have10 snakes, 17 lizards, a cat (plus 2 more stray cats), 2 gold fish, 2 frogs, an unknown number of cockroaches (in a cage), and 6 tarantulas and 2 scorpions. i think that's everybody.
wow..that is just wow :X

I think if i ever saw a snake/lizard..i'd run a mile :-[....and tarantulas..urghh..they gave me nightmares..

btw do you name them?

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
what do you have (besides fish)? do you have creepy animals, or Sensible ones? :D
I think sensible ones, if you can call them that!
2 Dogs, 9 birds, 7 chickens, we had a cat but gave it away. Then theres a farm but thats not here... lol!:D

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 11:07 PM
You know i could swear i replied to this post!!!
Only hope it wasnt some where else!^o) But anyway a repeat, what do you do with scorpions and frogs? And dont the cockroaches come out of the cage?!! Not my line, thats for sure!
i don't do anything with the scorpions and frogs except look at them and take care of them. you'd be surprised what a nice addition a frog is to the bathroom.
no, the cockroaches, who are (all) named madame blavatsky, do not come out. i am not overly fond of them - originally i bought them to feed to my spiders, but even they didn't like them! they're brazilian forest cockroaches.

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

I think if i ever saw a snake/lizard..i'd run a mile :-[....and tarantulas..urghh..they gave me nightmares..

btw do you name them?
yes, most of them have names. i said i was a nutter, didn't i? :D

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I think sensible ones, if you can call them that!
2 Dogs, 9 birds, 7 chickens, we had a cat but gave it away. Then theres a farm but thats not here... lol!:D
yes, they sound like Sensible ones to me. (even tho the dogs are unislamic).
btw, you haven't lived til you've had a pet duck in an apartment!

wilberhum
11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
As a kid, I had 2 pet ducks. They were amazing pets. They would come when called, go for a walk, snuggle, just about anything a dog would do, including fetch.

They made good "Watch Ducks" too. Quack like crazey when a stranger came into the yard.

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 11:20 PM
ducks are cool - but not in an apartment. and yes, they can be very noisy.

جوري
11-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I had a cat named hobo and indeed he was a disreputable vagrant, who exchanged tall tales for the occasional sponge bath...

After he left, my life was never the same, and I decided I didn't like pets... that feeling is now carrying over to humans too!

snakelegs
11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
oh pets are much better than people!!!

~Taalibah~
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Ducks awful messy, but make lovely roast...:ooh:
The dogs are guard dogs and as far as i know it is permissible to keep them as guards.^o)

snakelegs
11-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Ducks awful messy, but make lovely roast...:ooh:
The dogs are guard dogs and as far as i know it is permissible to keep them as guards.^o)
aw, no - they are too cute to eat.
yes, you're right re: dogs.

zarhad
11-10-2007, 10:06 AM
i wouldnt mind getting some sort of bird or parrot, cats are cute but extra vaccuming n the hair is still there, so i prefure things that cant shed...and im afriad of bugs, but reptiles are fine.

nadia85
11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I wouldnt mind a pet,but not sure what lol

Danah
11-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Actually the most thing I hate in this life is touching animals.
if I saw an animal (cats, dog, birds or whatever)
I feel like I will prefer die than touching an animal skin :grumbling

the only thing I can deal with is fish since I will not have to touch it directly (:

here is a funny story:
one time there was a cat in our kitchen (I dont knew how did it came there) and I wanted to eat something for dinner. I was just hearing its voice not seeing it and freezed in my place. I waited for someone from my family to bring something for me to eat.
Alhumdulilah that my eldest brothers came and bring a food for me or I would sleep that night without dinner :(

my dad always said that when I saw a cat in my way, the cat is the one who must run away since its a small creature and scared quickly, not me :(

but what can I do? it cant help at all :(

Ayesha Rana
11-10-2007, 07:52 PM
lol! I dnt like creepy crawlies... the name so goes.
snakes are cool! And i luv ducks-they're cuddly n they follow u round lol!
We have a parrot (African Grey n a right big-mouth) but lovable all the same
Bunny rabbits are cute n cuddly too but they're dopey lol. Horses are fun, Killer Whales are awsome and intelligent and birds of prey r so majestic but what I'd really love is a lion (Brave, loyal and strong!)... which is out of the question in this poxy country so I'll have to settle for a cat... only i don't have one yet cos im not too keen on cleaning up the mess...:(
wassalam

~Taalibah~
11-10-2007, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
Actually the most thing I hate in this life is touching animals.
if I saw an animal (cats, dog, birds or whatever)
I feel like I will prefer die than touching an animal skin :grumbling

the only thing I can deal with is fish since I will not have to touch it directly (:

here is a funny story:
one time there was a cat in our kitchen (I dont knew how did it came there) and I wanted to eat something for dinner. I was just hearing its voice not seeing it and freezed in my place. I waited for someone from my family to bring something for me to eat.
Alhumdulilah that my eldest brothers came and bring a food for me or I would sleep that night without dinner :(

my dad always said that when I saw a cat in my way, the cat is the one who must run away since its a small creature and scared quickly, not me :(

but what can I do? it cant help at all :(
I have a friend who is like that! Beats me tho, love nearly all animals!

Ayesha Rana
lol! I dnt like creepy crawlies... the name so goes.
snakes are cool! And i luv ducks-they're cuddly n they follow u round lol!
We have a parrot (African Grey n a right big-mouth) but lovable all the same
Bunny rabbits are cute n cuddly too but they're dopey lol. Horses are fun, Killer Whales are awsome and intelligent and birds of prey r so majestic but what I'd really love is a lion (Brave, loyal and strong!)... which is out of the question in this poxy country so I'll have to settle for a cat... only i don't have one yet cos im not too keen on cleaning up the mess...
Wassalam
Apart from hair cats dont really make a mess. They do their business outside and (supposed to) eat clean.
And i agree with the african grey+ big mouth, very true! We have one too and his always copping us.:D

Esther462
11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't have any pets but my landlady lives in the other side of the house that I live in has a dog. He looks scary because of breed but he is so sweet and funny but now I'm Muslim I can't really play with him anymore because I want to keep my clothes clean.

ashley66
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
I have 16 pet goats and I bottle feed 7 of the kid goats. 1 bird who live at the goat house, 1 tortoise oops that one got away last week. Several stray cats who come to the house. I love the goats. 4 of the adults are already a month or 2 above 2 years old and can some friends have asked to buy for aqiqah and Qurban, but I love them too much to part from them. A bit silly I know since the purpose of keeping a farm is to sell the animal.:hiding: But I can talk to them and hold the kids for hours:D They have their own names and I know their habits and behaviour.

snakelegs
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
i always thought goats were cute - until i finally met one up close.
they have the creepiest eyes.

*~Sofia~*
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ashley66
I have 16 pet goats and I bottle feed 7 of the kid goats. 1 bird who live at the goat house, 1 tortoise oops that one got away last week. Several stray cats who come to the house. I love the goats. 4 of the adults are already a month or 2 above 2 years old and can some friends have asked to buy for aqiqah and Qurban, but I love them too much to part from them. A bit silly I know since the purpose of keeping a farm is to sell the animal.:hiding: But I can talk to them and hold the kids for hours:D They have their own names and I know their habits and behaviour.

awwww wow i love goats! when I went to India last year, i saw so many and they were just gorguz :D specially the babies..awwwwwww My aunt in India has a few goats too, but she said they've all been paid for and will be departin them for Qurbani :( I think that's soo sad,selling ur pet, and then knowing what's gonna happen to them, it's makes me :( just finking about it. (and me being a sensitive so and so, I don't fink I could ever handle it) :lol:

Even so, I would absolutely love a baby goat as a pet.. and I think so would my mum ;D she had one when she was younger,and she loved him to bits.. but one day, the family cut him up and ate him up as the Qurbani.. my mother cried like a baby :cry: (so would I actually) :(

Neway, I've currently got one cat.. he's gorguz (even tho he's a bit of a bully :X ) :lol:

And my bros got a big fish tank with 3 angel fishes in em. He had loads, but they gradually died one by one :( hopefully we'll be gettin sum more soon. :sunny:

Had a hamster when I was younger, Jazz, but didn't really bond with him much.. all he ever did was sleep :giggling:..we gave him away after coz ma dad didn't like him!

W'salam :)

Ummu Sufyaan
11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

btw do you name them?
would you be scared if i posted some up. actullay i didn't think they were that bad, then i did some reseach. they are totally creepy.
we had a lizard take up residancy in our yard once. we showed our mum. she was like eww!! get that thing away from me. it was quite amusing. :X

~Taalibah~
11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*
And my bros got a big fish tank with 3 angel fishes in em. He had loads, but they gradually died one by one :( hopefully we'll be gettin sum more soon. :sunny:
W'salam :)
Thats a shame! You'll should read about cycling, & Nitrates+nitrites, those are the main reasons fish die.
I have 2 tanks one i'm going to start breeding angelfish and the other is a community aquarium. Love them!!

ashley66
I have 16 pet goats and I bottle feed 7 of the kid goats. 1 bird who live at the goat house, 1 tortoise oops that one got away last week. Several stray cats who come to the house. I love the goats. 4 of the adults are already a month or 2 above 2 years old and can some friends have asked to buy for aqiqah and Qurban, but I love them too much to part from them. A bit silly I know since the purpose of keeping a farm is to sell the animal. But I can talk to them and hold the kids for hours They have their own names and I know their habits and behaviour.
Ohh Thats soo nice!
We had a deformed lamb that we raised. Its mom had twins and she left this one. We named her Misbaah, bottle fed her, let her sleep in the wash room. Her front legs couldnt get straight so she used to crawl on her knees. We used to let her crawl around the house at times, she bit the telephone cords and used to nibble anything! But in the end because of her weight her knees were getting raw, we put bandages but she always managed to get them off! We had to slaughter after that because it was more zul'm to let her live. No one could eat the meat so we gave as sadqah.

I had a bull pet too! He will always be my favorite animal! I used to play with him when he was a calf, put a rope on him and lead him around, feed him with a bottle, fed him veggies etc as he grew, play around with him. My poor boy! He never chased us when he grew up! No matter what we did or what the situation was and always let us pet him, feed him and play with tho we did that a bit wearily! I had him for 3 years. But my father said that qurbani had to made as we cant keep him always...
My boy will always be the dearest pet i had!

ashley66
11-15-2007, 06:34 AM
My husband just sms me just now to tell me that one of my 2.5 month old pet goat just died. I noticed that her mom stopped giving her milk and the kid looked thinner than usual. So may be the kid was starving coz, eating grass would still be new to a 2.5 month old kid. I should have followed my instinct to bring her into the house and bottle feed her despite of my husband protest. (Understandable since I we live in an apartment and goat house is 1 km away). I felt so guilty for not doing the best for my pet.
Heart breaking, but I cannot help thinking that when I choose to keep a pet, it is also like an amanah from Allah.

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
You are right, every animal in our care is aamanat.

shible
11-15-2007, 02:41 PM

I like to go for Aquarium and then i also like to go for Cats.

As far as Aquarium i have maintained one in my Past .

Where i use to Maintain more than 20 to 25 fishes and 80 to hundred laval stage of fish wish i got from it's parent fishes.

And also to maintain the it i also had Two Oscar and One Piranha on a Seperate Drum (Both are Meat Eaters). In case if i found any fish dead due to climate or Water Contamination i switch them to these.

Camomilla
11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a cat and a bunny, they both have names :smile:
we had two cat's when I was little and about 3 three years ago we had one cat, but they were taken away so now I have only one and a bunny :statisfie
cats are so cute!

Camomilla
11-15-2007, 02:59 PM
ow, and did I mention that when I was veeery little, we had a snail but died long time ago...

Al-Zaara
11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi, selam aleykum,

Nah, I don't have and never had any pets. I wish I had a tiger though, or a lion. But nooo.. Otherwise I'd be quite happy with a Holy Birma cat or an Siberian husky (dog)..

InshaAllah, maybe I'll have them all one day. :D

Scorpions!! That's soo cool. What kind of scorpions are they?

shible
11-15-2007, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

I too Love to keep Scorpion but none allows them. They are one of those cool creatures like the Octopus and Snakes.

Al-Zaara
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
I too Love to keep Scorpion but none allows them. They are one of those cool creatures like the Octopus and Snakes.
Agreed! I'm extra fond of snakes, they are so beautiful.

*~Sofia~*
11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
You are right, every animal in our care is aamanat.

sorry but what is aamanat? :-[

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
You get plenty snakes for sale here!

shible

I like to go for Aquarium and then i also like to go for Cats.

As far as Aquarium i have maintained one in my Past .

Where i use to Maintain more than 20 to 25 fishes and 80 to hundred laval stage of fish wish i got from it's parent fishes.
Great! What type of fish did you keep?

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*

sorry but what is aamanat? :-[

Something that belongs to someone that is in your charge, so its your responsibility to care for it- if you took it on.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

speaking of pets, a lot of sahabi's nicknamed themselves of fathers of pets:

for example:

Abu Hurayra - Father of a kitten
Abu Bakr - Father of a baby camel (i think
Hamza (the prophets uncle) - Lion

There might be more but thats from the top of my head

Assalamu Alaikum

*~Sofia~*
11-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Something that belongs to someone that is in your charge, so its your responsibility to care for it- if you took it on.

ohhhhh seen, jazakhallah for the explanation! :D

*~Sofia~*
11-15-2007, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

speaking of pets, a lot of sahabi's nicknamed themselves of fathers of pets:

for example:

Abu Hurayra - Father of a kitten
Abu Bakr - Father of a baby camel (i think
Hamza (the prophets uncle) - Lion

There might be more but thats from the top of my head

Assalamu Alaikum

yeh I knew the Abu Hurayra one, my lil sister told me that he loved kittens.. like me :D

w'salam

shible
11-15-2007, 04:23 PM

You get plenty snakes for sale here!

Great! What type of fish did you keep?
I don't know what naming convention followed there i will list them up according to how we call it

1 Pair

Fighter
Sword Tail
Tank Cleaner
Scat
Tiger Shark
Yellow Gorah

2 Pairs

White Molly
Black Molly
Baloon Molly
Rosy Barb
Koi Carp
Blue Gorah

More than 2 Pairs

Guppies
Tiger
Snail
Neon Tetra
Zebra
Red Surface Tetra

Meat Eaters

Piranha
Brown Oscar
Pink Oscar

Camomilla
11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I would like to have a Maine Coon cat one day, Insha Allah!
they are so big, chek out this link yall :D
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006...-giant-cat.jpg

what yall think?

snakelegs
11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

i keep desert hairy scorpions. (Hadrurus arizonensis) they are not dangerous. i caught them myself, as i live not far from the desert and go there a lot. they are the easiest animals to take care of. they don't require much room, much food, or much water.
right now, i just have 2, who were born in my house (in a cage). when the babies are born, they ride around on their mother's back at first.
here's what they look like:

snakelegs
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
do you keep snakes? i only have 10 at the moment, but i used to breed them and have had over 300 at one time! they're just about my favourite creatures.
you're not allowed to keep any scorpions - even emperor scorpions?

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Ohhhh woah! :D He looks verry interesting! :ooh::ooh:

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM

I don't know what naming convention followed there i will list them up according to how we call it

1 Pair

Fighter
Sword Tail
Tank Cleaner
Scat
Tiger Shark
Yellow Gorah

2 Pairs

White Molly
Black Molly
Baloon Molly
Rosy Barb
Koi Carp
Blue Gorah

More than 2 Pairs

Guppies
Tiger
Snail
Neon Tetra
Zebra
Red Surface Tetra

Meat Eaters

Piranha
Brown Oscar
Pink Oscar

Big lot you've got there! Masha'Allah. Have you got the Piranha and oscars in a separate tank? Never heard of the Blue Gorah and cant find it on google.:hmm: By tiger, do you mean tiger barbs? And by tank cleaner do you mean the common pleco? I adore plecos! I'm going to put my one in a goildfish/koi pond as he's exceeding 9 inches!

snakelegs
11-15-2007, 08:32 PM
they're cool, but i wouldn't describe them as super fascinating little beasties because they don't do much of anything.
emperor scorpions are more interesting and you can keep a number of them in one cage. i have had them, but not now.
but i prefer the desert hairy's and can catch them myself. in the summer they are often seen (as are snakes) "basking" on the heat retained on roads. i do not handle them, as they will sting, even though their sting is not dangerous.
here's what emperor scorpions (Pandinus imperator) look like:

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Cant believe how you can hold it on your hand! I woudnt mind looking at it from a bit of a distance.

snakelegs
11-15-2007, 08:49 PM
yes, you can (though they are not cuddly) emperors are quite mellow.
the desert hairy scorpions shouldn't be handled as they can give a painful sting.
and, of course, i'm sure you know that there are scorpions that are deadly.
(= if you should meet one, do not handle it)

shible
11-16-2007, 03:40 AM

Big lot you've got there! Masha'Allah. Have you got the Piranha and oscars in a separate tank? Never heard of the Blue Gorah and cant find it on google.:hmm: By tiger, do you mean tiger barbs? And by tank cleaner do you mean the common pleco? I adore plecos! I'm going to put my one in a goildfish/koi pond as he's exceeding 9 inches!
Yes it's tiger Barb and blue Gourami

I had Two tanks and a seperate drum.

In drum i kept the Oscars and Piranha

In one tank thats small one i use to keep all the offsprings

and one big tank that i used to keep all the fishes i mentioned

I haven't grown any other pets as such apart from Maintaining Aquarium.

But

If I was given a chance to maintain my collection of variety animals then they include the below list.

Wild ones:

1. Snakes
2. Scorpions
3. Crocs
4. Black Panther
5. Chimps

Domestic Ones:
1. Cat
2. white Mouse
3. Rabbit

Birds
1. Hawk
2. Eagle
3. Kite
4. Parrots

~Taalibah~
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Parrots are great birds Masha'Allah. I would like to keep a Peregrine Falcon, one day Insha'Allah.

smile
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
lots of fish
3 simese fighters
3 birds
4 stray cats that wonder around in the garden

ashley66
11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Falcon.. Woow.. Yup that would be the ultimate pet for me. When I was small I trained my cockerel to stand on my arm and on my bicycle handle and I would go cycling around the village with him, pretending that it was a falcon trained to hunt for me.

~Taalibah~
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Lol, you did a god job! Must have been tough training him! I can carry my polish bantams on my arm as they are extremely tame. Never tried training a chickens though, my lil sis just has to give one shout when the chickens eat the birds food/plants and the chickens know they must stop!

Jayda
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
hola!

we have a really big aquarium room right off of our library with a lot of fish, coral, various plants, some unusual creatures and some sharks. my little girls love to go in and watch them :) we named two of the sharks so they are like pets... my husband has three horses but i do not ride so i don't know very much about them, and i have a goldfish named sebastian who has been one of my best friends since college :)

que Dios te bendiga

shible
11-19-2007, 04:08 PM
One more thing.

I forgot to add Bats to my list.

Hashim_507
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Does huge spiders count?
Spiders are friendly as long as you feed them.

~Taalibah~
11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
Does huge spiders count?
Sure they do!
But depends what spider it is. You wouldnt think of a funnel web as friendly will you!

snakelegs
11-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Does huge spiders count?
i have 6 tarantulas. they're not cuddly but they're fine pets and not hard to take care of. i feed mine crickets.
do you have any?

Hashim_507
11-20-2007, 07:57 PM
i have 6 tarantulas. they're not cuddly but they're fine pets and not hard to take care of. i feed mine crickets.
do you have any?
5 camel spiders, 4 tarantulas and 3 Goliath Tarantulas. Those spiders are expensive and its not easy to find them.

Hashim_507
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Sure they do!
But depends what spider it is. You wouldnt think of a funnel web as friendly will you!
Funnel web just needs space; they are aggressive when you get in there territory.

snakelegs
11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
5 camel spiders, 4 tarantulas and 3 Goliath Tarantulas. Those spiders are expensive and its not easy to find them.
we have camel spiders here in the deserts of southern california (we call them wind scorpions). i have tried to catch them but they are just toooo fast. what kind of pets do they make - are they active?
we also have a native tarantula that is pretty mellow - i've caught them - at the moment i have one.
i had a horned baboon spider once that someone gave me as a spiderling. it was pretty cool.

Hashim_507
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
we have camel spiders here in the deserts of southern california (we call them wind scorpions). i have tried to catch them but they are just toooo fast. what kind of pets do they make - are they active?
we also have a native tarantula that is pretty mellow - i've caught them - at the moment i have one.
i had a horned baboon spider once that someone gave me as a spiderling. it was pretty cool.
Camel spiders are very active indeed especially in the deserts enviroment. They very fast spider indeed, I pet them when they were very young and they grew fast.

snakelegs
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
so they are active in the cage? do you keep them on sand? i have a couple of desert scorpions i caught - i keep them on sand. i like them, but they don't do much of anything. (easiest animal i've ever had to take care of)

~Taalibah~
11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Funnel web just needs space; they are aggressive when you get in there territory.
:D Wouldn't like to risk it!

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I only have one pet now. His name is George McMellon. He likes to play on the PC.

He enjoys dressing up.

He has a friend that comes over and plays with him.

~Taalibah~
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Bro Woodrow you have the most exclusive type of pet, lol! And the best to some as you dont have to clean up...

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Yep he is my incredible, pettable edible.

snakelegs
11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
woodrow,
don't your grand kids have any pets that you can enjoy without taking care of?

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 10:15 PM
woodrow,
Up until recently they had 2 rabbits, a box turtle, 4 cockatiels, a bowl full of triops, a bowl full of sea monkeys, a beta and a hermit crab.

Now they are down to:

3 cockatiels, a bowl of sea monkeys and a female beta.

~Taalibah~
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
woodrow,
Perhaps that is the best pet. They can play with it as much as they like it cant get hurt!

~Taalibah~
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Up until recently they had 2 rabbits, a box turtle, 4 cockatiels, a bowl full of triops, a bowl full of sea monkeys, a beta and a hermit crab.

Now they are down to:

3 cockatiels, a bowl of sea monkeys and a female beta.
what are sea monkeys?

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
what are sea monkeys?
Brine shrimp, Here are the ones the Grand kids have.

They are almost microscopic.

I just found an old ad from the 1950s for them:

they don't look like that :giggling:

Here is "Fish Face" their Beta

snakelegs
11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
wow- i had never heard of sea monkeys or triops before and had to search for them on the web. those triops are pretty cute.
beta fish are quite "personable".
i'll pass on the cockatiels though.

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
wow- i had never heard of sea monkeys or triops before and had to search for them on the web. those triops are pretty cute.
beta fish are quite "personable".
i'll pass on the cockatiels though.
cockatiels are actually pretty cute. this is "Tookie Tookums" She likes to play scrabble. But she isn't all that good I beat her 3 out of 5 games.

~Taalibah~
11-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Woooow Lol, i'll pass on the brineshrimp (sea monkeys) i feed them to my fish!
The betta and cockatiels i like!

snakelegs
11-20-2007, 11:06 PM
don't cockatiels (like parrots) screech all day long?
all my pets are quiet little things.

Woodrow
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
don't cockatiels (like parrots) screech all day long?
all my pets are quiet little things.
I don't really know, I have a tonal hearing loss and I would not hear them if they do. I can only hear low frequency sounds.

ashley66
11-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Are sea monkey some kind of shrimp or plankton? What is triops.

Woodrow
11-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Are sea monkey some kind of shrimp or plankton? What is triops.
Both sea monkeys and triops are varieties of shrimp. Sea monkeys are brine shrimp, Triops are also called tadpole shrimp, shield shrimp, dinosaur shrimp, probably a few other names, there are several species, but they all look similar:

they are larger than sea monkeys and remind me of horshoe crabs. This is a picture I found. But this is what the ones the kids had looked like:

either one can be part of plankton. Plankton is better described as ocean soup it consists of plants, animals, seeds, spores, spawn, eggs etc. any small nearly microscopic and slightly larger life forms that happen to be in the area.

جوري
11-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Br.wodrow is hogging all the sea monkeys and now their emperor is all alone without his clan =(

Woodrow
11-21-2007, 02:24 AM

They obey my every command. I told one to play dead and he/she is still floating at the top of the bowl.

جوري
11-21-2007, 02:45 AM
^^ :haha:
this too happened to my pet fish who was a beta and ironically that too was its name.. we came home on a cold winter night once and the bowl was so cold.. my sister said wow look at poor fishy he must be freezing.. lets warm up the water a bit.. and we did and he was happy...then she (my sis ) said still the bowl feels a little cool to me let's make it a little warmer and we did and I think he seemed happy? his eyes were bugging, his fins looked pleading... we mistook it for yes more warmth pls I was cold down here all by myself..so we made him a nice warm bath and he was so happppy he came near the surface and did a flip and was swimming on his back...
shortly there after we had our 'porcelain cermony' and he went back to the sea =)

Hashim_507
11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Its not easy to find those pets.

The Brazilian wandering spider appeared in the Guinness Book of World Records 2007 for the most venomous animal. Ok, I was not afraid to handle this spider. Do not try to purchase like I do; its very dangerous spider compare to black widow.

Woodrow
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Spiders can be very nice and easy to care for our native hairy megalamorph aka: American Tarantuala is very docile, can be ealily handled, likes being brushed and to some extent can be trained. The females are very long lived can can live to be over 20 years old. In my younger days I had an old female for over 5 years. she was very sweet. I finaly realised she did not deserve to be a house pet and turned her loose in a good location.

She looked like this:

(this is not a picture of mine)

click the link: http://www.desertusa.com/video_pages...ula_movie.html

More info:

http://www.desertusa.com/july96/du_taran.html

Woodrow
11-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I should mention that while the venom of a Tarantula is not dangerous the fangs can do considerable damage. The rascals can bite a good sized plug out of you. Here is what happened one day when the old girl was walking on my arm. Although she bite me over 20 years ago, you can still see where she bit me. The circled area.

Clearer picture without my scribbling.

Like with all creatures, you need to exercise caution and care. But, with proper care and precautions a tarantula can be a joyful creature. I no longer am much for having wild critters as pets, but that does not mean it is wrong or right to do so.

Hashim_507
11-21-2007, 05:42 PM
I should mention that while the venom of a Tarantula is not dangerous the fangs can do considerable damage. The rascals can bite a good sized plug out of you. Here is what happened one day when the old girl was walking on my arm. Although she bite me over 20 years ago, you can still see where she bit me. The circled area.

Yeah, I experiance non-venom snake bites and it can do considirable demage. I am not keeping those pets forever, I will free them to the wild.

~Taalibah~
11-21-2007, 06:30 PM
:sl:Bro's Woodrow and Hashim.
I'll pass for spiders! Dunno how you can keep them as pets, i'm not afraid of lots of animals but if a spider comes on me i'll probably get a heart attack.

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I experiance non-venom snake bites and it can do considirable demage. I am not keeping those pets forever, I will free them to the wild.
i only keep non-venemous snakes. i've been bitten many times and it is no big deal. but one i was bitten by a harmless little ribbon snake and my hand swelled up to almost twice its normal size!
almost all the bites i've gotten have been from the feeding response - snake is hungry, i move too fast or carelessly and they strike.
had a really stupid carpet python once who would bite and hang on. i had to hold this really stinky massage oil under her nose to get her to let go. she was a real idiot.
i don't handle my tarantulas or scorpions at all, though i have handled our native tarantuala.

~*~Asmaa ~*~
11-21-2007, 08:50 PM
wasalaam, thanx for the welcom 2 the site. i didnt think that many people would reply bh u showd me rong lol. wow!! :hiding:i cant belev u hav soooo many pets its amazing. ive only eva had one cat, sadly it died. but how on earth do u manage to live with SNAKES!! i take it u absolutely adore em!!! i wudnt want to hav snakes as pets personally am 2 frightened of them lol. :giggling:so how long hav u had the snakes.

wasalam,
Asmaa xx

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
yes - i like snakes a lot. most of them are actually quite gentle creatures.
the one i've had the longest i've had since '87 - so he is probably about 23 years old now, as he was a young adult when i got him. i used to raise snakes but not anymore - i just keep a few now.
there is hardly any animal that i don't like.

Ali.
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I have a...brace yourself...a TORTOISE! :D

Yes, they are usually boring creatures but so cute! It's nice watching them eat and walk, they're quite interesting, not what you'd expect :).

~Taalibah~
11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
What do you'l feed the snakes and spiders?

جوري
11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
people you don't like :X flotsam jetsam go get em boys...

Woodrow
11-21-2007, 09:09 PM
i only keep non-venemous snakes. i've been bitten many times and it is no big deal. but one i was bitten by a harmless little ribbon snake and my hand swelled up to almost twice its normal size!
almost all the bites i've gotten have been from the feeding response - snake is hungry, i move too fast or carelessly and they strike.
had a really stupid carpet python once who would bite and hang on. i had to hold this really stinky massage oil under her nose to get her to let go. she was a real idiot.
i don't handle my tarantulas or scorpions at all, though i have handled our native tarantuala.
I have found that snakes in the coluber family do sometimes develop mildly toxic saliva which produces a reaction like that.

It seems to be the result of diet and happens if they have been eating toads.

I have not heard of it in ribbon snakes, however they often eat frogs and small toads. could be similar. I had a similar reaction with a garter snake, even tho I had been been bitten many times before by them with no effect.

Both the Garter and Ribbon snakes are in the family Thamnophis. I wonder if this may be the result of eating toads although they prefer frogs. Most toads have somewhat venomous skin.

Something interesting to look into.

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HelloImAli
I have a...brace yourself...a TORTOISE! :D

Yes, they are usually boring creatures but so cute! It's nice watching them eat and walk, they're quite interesting, not what you'd expect :).
i've had them but found them a nuisance to feed.
once i met a desert tortoise on the road so i picked him up and carried him to safety. to my surprise, he began to follow me.
very gentle little critters.

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
well, i live near an elementary school..... (blame purest for the Bad Influence)
the snakes get mice and the spiders get crickets.

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I have found that snakes in the coluber family do sometimes develop mildly toxic saliva which produces a reaction like that.

It seems to be the result of diet and happens if they have been eating toads.

I have not heard of it in ribbon snakes, however they often eat frogs and small toads. could be similar. I had a similar reaction with a garter snake, even tho I had been been bitten many times before by them with no effect.

Both the Garter and Ribbon snakes are in the family Thamnophis. I wonder if this may be the result of eating toads although they prefer frogs. Most toads have somewhat venomous skin.

Something interesting to look into.
well, i fed mine goldfish and they were long time captives. they're nice little snakes if you like attention - they stare at you all the time. ;D

~Taalibah~
11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
It Illegal too keep tortoises as pets here, but we have some in our yard they eat the plants, grass etc. The kiddies love them.

~Taalibah~
11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
well, i fed mine goldfish and they were long time captives. they're nice little snakes if you like attention - they stare at you all the time. ;D
Poor goldfish...:hiding:

Ali.
11-21-2007, 09:30 PM
i've had them but found them a nuisance to feed.
once i met a desert tortoise on the road so i picked him up and carried him to safety. to my surprise, he began to follow me.
very gentle little critters.
Yes, they are very gentle :).
Sometimes when I go to feed him and put the food a little infront of him, he shoots his head into his shell, thinking I'm going to attack him :(.

It Illegal too keep tortoises as pets here, but we have some in our yard they eat the plants, grass etc. The kiddies love them.
It's illegal for you? Interesting.

Some live in your yard? You must live in a very hot place :).
*Looks at your Location*
:O Africa, no wonder :).

Hashim_507
11-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Non-venom bites really hurts sometimes; they bite hard and they hold on to the skin till the person realise the bleeding. But those experiences didnt stop petting those snakes.

جوري
11-22-2007, 04:18 AM
..... (blame purest for the Bad Influence)

Moi? what did I do? I am innocent I tells you....

Nabooly
11-22-2007, 04:30 AM
I used to have a duck back in Lebanon :thumbs_up

Edit: Woops, and by duck i mean cat. Dunno how that slipped out so wrong :D

ashley66
11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
My husband called me only just now to tell me that he just adopted a puppy which he found under a bridge near home.:uhwhat . He's worried if the puppy has been abandoned by its mom. Now I gotta figure out how to keep puppy near my pet goat house but seperating them without confining puppy too much. I haven't kept dogs for about 10 years. I used to feed a pregnant dog whenever she came to the house. She gave birth to 6 cute puppys. I had to increase the height of clothlines and keep all shoes inside the house. When i think about having to clean myself and clothing in accordance to syara' everytime the puppy lick me would be tiring. But then again I can't look at the hopeful eyes of a little goat or puppy without loving them. :D

Can anyone advice how can I train the puppy into guard dog without depriving the puppy of attention.

truemuslim
11-29-2007, 02:33 AM
i thought i would die if i saw any reptile or anything sick, but then i went to yemen and saw about 50 lizards the most i did was either freeze or scream and run...i got chased by a lizard one time...sad...i almost fainted, and tarantulas...i will die for real if i saw those... snake...hmm...i think i would die then have nightmares in the grave...

amille40
11-29-2007, 02:35 AM
I have a cairn terrier. I love cats, but am allergic to them. :( My dream cat is the type of egyptian breed that has more in common anatomically with ancient cats than modern ones. Its reallllly expensive haha, and I cant imagine taking it to a vet....:P

~Taalibah~
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Can anyone advice how can I train the puppy into guard dog without depriving the puppy of attention.
That was so nice of you'l to adopt him!! Jazakallah!
Theres no need to deprive him of attention.:D What breed is it? Most dogs will guard their territory. So where ever the dog grows up it will learn to guard it as he's territory,thus becoming a 'guard dog'. But if you are talking about it learning specific ways of guarding you'l have to train him, it takes time an lots of patience but you'll b happy, or you can take him for training. You can also train him not to touch you so you dont get naapaak. My dog knows- "dont touch!" Best of luck with him, what did you name him?

Camomilla
11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I love cats :)
what do you think about this siberian cat?

reminds me of Garfield :giggling:
sooo cute!

Woodrow
11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
That was so nice of you'l to adopt him!! Jazakallah!
Theres no need to deprive him of attention.:D What breed is it? Most dogs will guard their territory. So where ever the dog grows up it will learn to guard it as he's territory,thus becoming a 'guard dog'. But if you are talking about it learning specific ways of guarding you'l have to train him, it takes time an lots of patience but you'll b happy, or you can take him for training. You can also train him not to touch you so you dont get naapaak. My dog knows- "dont touch!" Best of luck with him, what did you name him?
I agree with you dogs will naturally become guard dogs on their own. They are very territorial and as they learn the limits of their territory they will do their best to keep strangers out of their territory.

Too many people make the mistake of thinking a guard dog requires aggression training. That can be a huge mistake as most people do not have the training to handle a dog that is trained to be aggressive.

A dog that has been trained to attack, is far more dangerous then a fire arm, it does not miss what it sees as it's target. the problem is what it perceives as the target may not be what the owner wants the target to be.

Far better, to let a dog naturally grow into a guard dog and keep the training to obedience training. The best home use of a guard dog is to have it as an early warning system and not as a weapon. It is well adapted to detect even the most stealth intruder and if not interfered with will let the owner know.

As a weapon, it is only as good as the owner has been trained to use such a weapon. You would not expect a child who has never handled a gun to be capable of accurately using a pistol as a defense tool, so it is with a trained guard dog, it is not smart to place a weapon into the hands of some people.

qassy!
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I want a dog. Is that allowed in islam?

~Taalibah~
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
I want a dog. Is that allowed in islam?
To the best of my knowledge it is allowed as guard dog not as a pet.

~Taalibah~
11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Camomilla
I love cats :)
what do you think about this siberian cat?

reminds me of Garfield :giggling:
sooo cute!
its looks very sweet! Masha'Allah.

Woodrow
11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
To the best of my knowledge it is allowed as guard dog not as a pet.
I believe it would be better to say as a work dog rather than limiting it to guard dog.

some reasons I believe a dog can be kept:

Guard

Hunting

Herding live stock

Assistance (ie seeing eye dog for blind)

There may even be more reasons. If I understand correctly the main things that need to be avoided are:

It saliva, contact with it's fur when it is wet and allowing it in the house. There may be more things that need to be avoided but I am certain that at the least those must be avoided.

Just my views astragfirullah

~Taalibah~
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I believe it would be better to say as a work dog rather than limiting it to guard dog.

some reasons I believe a dog can be kept:

Guard

Hunting

Herding live stock

Assistance (ie seeing eye dog for blind)

There may even be more reasons. If I understand correctly the main things that need to be avoided are:

It saliva, contact with it's fur when it is wet and allowing it in the house. There may be more things that need to be avoided but I am certain that at the least those must be avoided.

Just my views astragfirullah
You are correct Bro Woodrow:D

ashley66
11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Jazakallah for the advises on dog. I'm glad to know I can give some attention to the puppy. He is a role of fat dark grey short fur and the size is about a big very fat cat. But Camomilla's siberian cat is much much cuter and elegant. My husband named him Qitmeer.:D
How did you manage to train your dog not to touch. Wow that would be really helpful.
I agree with brother Woodrow, can keep dogs for work and practical purposes. At least now I know dog naturally guard their turf, so hopefully the puppy can become guard at the goat farm.

Noor 13
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I really do like animals and I do respect them as Allah's creation but I am not having any pets at ho,e. Before I became Muslim I had a cat which was adopted by a friend later on. And my mother has a dog which I don't mind either-when i am there I take him for walks and so on I just wouldn't feel comfortable having any in my house.

ashley66
11-30-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree with you. Ever since I got married, I stop keeping cat because I don't want their fur everywhere especially on prayer rug and my clothes. I miss that. So I feed stray cats who visit outside the house and keep goats and dog at our small farm 1km down the road. I do miss cuddling cat though.

Camomilla
11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
its looks very sweet! Masha'Allah.
yes, it does:p:p vewi cute!

Camomilla
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Jazakallah for the advises on dog. I'm glad to know I can give some attention to the puppy. He is a role of fat dark grey short fur and the size is about a big very fat cat. But Camomilla's siberian cat is much much cuter and elegant. My husband named him Qitmeer.:D
How did you manage to train your dog not to touch. Wow that would be really helpful.
I agree with brother Woodrow, can keep dogs for work and practical purposes. At least now I know dog naturally guard their turf, so hopefully the puppy can become guard at the goat farm.
makes me want to cuddle It :D:smile:
I have a cat but It's not a Siberian cat.:p

Woodrow
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM

I thought I had posted this already. apparently I never clicked submit after previewing it. My apologies if I have posted this some place else also.

My grandkids now have an aquarium. They wanted me to put it on youtube I did. I figured I would share it with you all also. I did not realize the TV was on when I videoed it, the loud talking you hear in the background is the TV. They turn it up loud so I can hear it. I just realized if I can hear it, it must be loud.

Well here is a 2 minute video of 3 fish one female Beta and 2 Zebra Danios:

Media Tags are no longer supported

snakelegs
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
aw......nice video!
your fish will pick up urdu from the tv and then they can teach you.
btw, i didn't know you could keep other fish in the same tank as a beta.

Woodrow
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
aw......nice video!
your fish will pick up urdu from the tv and then they can teach you.
btw, i didn't know you could keep other fish in the same tank as a beta.
Oddly a single beta does make a good community fish. However, I found the only fish you really want to keep it with are Danios, Tetras and Mollies.

In this case it was an act of desperation we put that female in there. We had bought her a "Husband" and when we put the two together it turned out he was a somewhat abusive husband and beat the bejabbers out of her. We had to do a very fast separation and that was the first place available.

They are now in marriage counseling and hopefully there will be a reconciliation. The husband is showing some desire for a reconciliation as he is building a bubble nest in his bowl.

ADDED Here is the sorry excuse of a husband. but, there is hope, he seems to be sincere in building an attractive bubble nest up at the top.

snakelegs
12-01-2007, 01:17 AM
lol, i hope you can get them to reconcile. (maybe a fish imam?)
i've had several betas but never tried to breed them, so if you do succeed i hope you tell us about it.
i've heard that breeding tarantulas (and other spiders as well) is a real problem - but in this case, it is the wife who is abusive - she simply eats the male for dinner!

Woodrow
12-01-2007, 01:44 AM
lol, i hope you can get them to reconcile. (maybe a fish imam?)
i've had several betas but never tried to breed them, so if you do succeed i hope you tell us about it.
i've heard that breeding tarantulas (and other spiders as well) is a real problem - but in this case, it is the wife who is abusive - she simply eats the male for dinner!
If you ever read up on breeding tarantulas you are aware of the difficulties, not only difficult but very bizarre. I can not understand why they even have the desire to. a sensible male would run in the opposite direction at the sight of a female.

Betas are really not very difficult. The male builds a bubble nest you drop in a female, she lays eggs, you remove the female. I used to breed them when my kids were little 30+ years ago.

~Taalibah~
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Bro Woodrow I'm sure your grand kids will enjoy the aquarium!
:DJust a bit of info concerning the bettas...
They are extremely aggressive fish especially the females. Keep an eye she doesnt turn on the danios. If you want to try breeding they should be first separated, being able to see each other and thereafter slowly be introduced to each other. Heres an article i wrote...Betta breeding Insha'Allah they will breed, wish you best of luck!

snakelegs
12-02-2007, 01:00 AM
If you ever read up on breeding tarantulas you are aware of the difficulties, not only difficult but very bizarre. I can not understand why they even have the desire to. a sensible male would run in the opposite direction at the sight of a female.

Betas are really not very difficult. The male builds a bubble nest you drop in a female, she lays eggs, you remove the female. I used to breed them when my kids were little 30+ years ago.
spiders are fascinating critters. in some species the male has a very specific rhythm that he taps out at the edge of the female's web before he approaches her. in others, the male presents the female with a morsel, in the hope that he will not end up being her dinner. the males generally live a lot less long than the females even if they do manage to escape after mating.
i can't confirm it, but i strongly suspect that spiders were designed by bitter feminists....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.