/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The worlds first Islamic car

Trumble
11-11-2007, 06:53 PM

The Malaysian carmaker Proton has announced plans to develop an "Islamic car", designed for Muslim motorists.
Proton is planning on teaming up with manufacturers in Iran and Turkey to create the unique vehicle.

The car could boast special features like a compass pointing to Mecca and a dedicated space to keep a copy of the Koran and a headscarf.

The idea came during a visit to the Middle East by a delegation of Malaysian politicians and businessmen.

Malaysian press reports say officials in Iran originally suggested the idea.

Safety features or fuel economy is one way of selling a car, but Proton thinks vehicles designed specifically for Muslims across the world represent a huge gap in the market.

BBC

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Salamualikum.

Thats abit over done man, but neat

Ma'assalama

AhlaamBella
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Sounds cool but whats with the special place for a headscarf? Sounds a bit random lol

------
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
:salamext:

Errmm....ok. As long as it does a maximum of 200 miles an hour, I'm in :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslim1
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I like this news so much.

It is not about the compass or a place for headscarf, it is about a muslim country - or countries!- making a car.

We -as muslims- should be developed in materialistc sides as well as we ought to be in behavioral sides. :smile:

Whos gonna buy me one of them :playing: :smile:

~Taalibah~
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
:sl:
Oh man, whatever next! It should be interesting, tho what is the compartment for a headscarf for? The scarf supposed to be on the head,lol!

snakelegs
11-11-2007, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim1
I like this news so much.

It is not about the compass or a place for headscarf, it is about a muslim country - or countries!- making a car.

We -as muslims- should be developed in materialistc sides as well as we ought to be in behavioral sides. :smile:

Whos gonna buy me one of them :playing: :smile:
i was thinking, well, you can buy a compass and finding a place for your qur'an and (extra?) headscarf can't be that complicated.
and then i read this post.
you make an excellent point!

Muezzin
11-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh man, I wanted it to have Go-Go-Gadget Extandable Axles. It would be just like Wacky Races!

But more seriously, as someone else has said, it is nice for a Muslim country to finally start manufacturing cars.

Umm Hurairah
11-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

I love it and all but I can't help but think that all that money being used for this car could possibly be put to a better use like helping Muslim countries.

Tania
11-12-2007, 03:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hurairah
..that all that money being used for this car could possibly be put to a better use like helping Muslim countries.
From selling the car they will receive extra money which can be used later for other actions.

muslim1
11-12-2007, 06:01 AM

I love it and all but I can't help but think that all that money being used for this car could possibly be put to a better use like helping Muslim countries.
This is a pure help for muslim countries. Remember how many jobs will be open! How much money will be turned over. :okay:

syilla
11-12-2007, 06:16 AM
lol...how come you don't know that Malaysia has started making car since 1985... :D

just try google it!

Not just proton we also have 'perodua' too.

We even manufacture our own motorcycle brand modenas and others

and i 'think' we even manufacture our own plane...

i guess it is not that popular because of its not so good reputation on quality. :D

muslim1
11-12-2007, 06:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
lol...how come you don't know that Malaysia has started making car since 1985... :D

just try google it!

We even manufacture our own motorcycle in modenas and others

i guess it is not that popular because of its not so good reputation on quality. :D

WAW :p:D

Malaikah
11-12-2007, 12:09 PM

I've found Muslims usually assume Muslims don't do anything. I don't get it. :playing:

Anyway... I don't get why we can't just buy a compass and put it in our won car... lol.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
i prefer horses and camels :)

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

InToTheRain
11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
For prayer directions we have a compass and for the head scarf we have the glove compartment or just wrap it around the head rest to make a comfy cussion :ooh: ...so there is no real incesntive to spend a little xtra to buy it.

However If it calls the Adhan out, has a button which makes the car face the direction of the Qibla whilst it's roof top opens, seats adjust automatically to allow enough room to stand and pray then I would consider buying it.

------
11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

^^^^ :lol: Too true!! :D

~Taalibah~
11-12-2007, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
For prayer directions we have a compass and for the head scarf we have the glove compartment or just wrap it around the head rest to make a comfy cussion :ooh: ...so there is no real incesntive to spend a little xtra to buy it.

However If it calls the Adhan out, has a button which makes the car face the direction of the Qibla whilst it's roof top opens, seats adjust automatically to allow enough room to stand and pray then I would consider buying it.
:DToo right!

------
11-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Just realised something, who would drive the car whilst you are praying :?

~Taalibah~
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Oh, you could just stop the car, but what with modern tech today i'm sure within a few years they'll have the car driving by itself!:D

Tania
11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

Ohh please don't tell me you are going at work with the horse :p

Esther462
11-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I would buy one if it came to England and that I could afforded it and the other things you need for a car i.e Car Tax, insureance and fuel.

------
11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
Oh, you could just stop the car, but what with modern tech today i'm sure within a few years they'll have the car driving by itself!:D

Yeh giv it 10 years :D [By the time our kids drive] :okay:

~Taalibah~
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
True! My grand father is waiting for a car like that! He never learnt to drive!!lol!

smile
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
the car does NOT look cool

Whatsthepoint
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
the car does NOT look cool
It's so much cooler this way:

+

:shade:

islamirama
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I'd buy that and encourage others as well to support Muslim businesses. I already buy only foreign cars :)

Muezzin
11-12-2007, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I'd buy that and encourage others as well to support Muslim businesses. I already buy only foreign cars :)
Yeah, but you live in the States, so you're bound to prefer imports since American cars tend to be a bit pants, really. :p

Are there many Muslims working at Honda, BMW, Rover or Renault?

Also, I apologise for assuming this was the first car made by a Muslim country. Please pardon my ignorance in that regard.

sameer
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

does that model come with power steering and air condition ;D

Muslim Knight
11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
How can it be an Islamic car when the company that produces it claims it to be cheap while the government protects it by imposing 300-400% import duty charges to foreign-made cars, hence not allowing a level-field competition?

How can it be Islamic when it lacks basic safety measures like airbag and ABS for local market, while the exported versions have these features at reduced prices?

It becomes Islamic when the company that produces it, starts acting Islamically responsible to its own local market.

islamirama
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yeah, but you live in the States, so you're bound to prefer imports since American cars tend to be a bit pants, really. :p

Are there many Muslims working at Honda, BMW, Rover or Renault?

Also, I apologise for assuming this was the first car made by a Muslim country. Please pardon my ignorance in that regard.
I'm sure there are Muslims working at Honda, bmw, rover or any other company you mention. How many? that is another issue.

and yes, foriegn cars are way more reliable and last much longer than your americans like FORD (Fix or repair daily) ;D

snakelegs
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
How can it be an Islamic car when the company that produces it claims it to be cheap while the government protects it by imposing 300-400% import duty charges to foreign-made cars, hence not allowing a level-field competition?

How can it be Islamic when it lacks basic safety measures like airbag and ABS for local market, while the exported versions have these features at reduced prices?

It becomes Islamic when the company that produces it, starts acting Islamically responsible to its own local market.
excellent post!

syilla
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM

I thought only in malaysia they lacks basic safety due to our own transport policy and regulations.

But when they bring it to overseas they have to follow the overseas country regulation.

Anyway, its the Malaysian fault too because they never complaint about it. And sometimes they don't even wear the seatbelts when they are driving. And how many of back passengers wear seat belts. And is hard to find baby car sit in the cars...and you can easily find the babies or toddlers roaming around the car and sometimes i find parents putting their babies on the dashboard back of the car. :ooh:

snakelegs
11-14-2007, 07:17 AM
off topic
i wonder where north_malaysian is. he hasn't been here since before eid. i hope he's ok.
back on topic
maybe we can get north_malaysian one of these "islamic" cars. :D

UmmSqueakster
11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
When I think of something being produced islamically, I think of a manufacturer providing a work environment condusive to practicing Islam - fair wages, good benefits, halal cafeteria, adhan called, breaks to pray, etc etc etc. I specifically buy my clothes from a company that provides that (shukr), and would be interested in purchasing other products from other companies that do this.

Sticking a compass in a car and calling it islamic doesn't entice me. Meh.

syilla
11-23-2007, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JITRVRDPE

hehe...Jeremy Clarkson on proton.

The Malaysian probably will be angry and sensitive at this.

Don't be...he did that to most of the cars :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSAfZ...eature=related
This is my car....hahahaha... :D

Umm_Qaylah
11-23-2007, 05:27 AM
As-salaamu 'Alaykum,

Ohhh, I definitely love the hijaab idea. I have begged my father for the longest time for tinted windows because sometimes I have to fix mt hijaab in the car and I dont want people staring at me. I wonder what else they have plans for.

Ohh, I also hope BMW picks up on some of those ideas Insha-Allaah so when I get a BMW, Im fully satisfied :D

Was-Salaamu 'alaykum Wa Rahmatullaah

*KB*
11-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Assalamualaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Errmm....ok. As long as it does a maximum of 200 miles an hour, I'm in :D
:okay::D :giggling: very funny.

But I agree that it is great to see that we muslims are inventive and are making cars!

I also agree and hope they will give money from their profits to the poor and homeless around the world.

Assalamualaykum
*KB*
:coolious:

^^Yep loving the idea about BMW Sister Umm_Qaylah

Noor 13
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
Oh man, whatever next! It should be interesting, tho what is the compartment for a headscarf for? The scarf supposed to be on the head,lol!
:mmokay:I was thinking the same thing about the compartment of the scarf lol. But maybe a compartment for a praying rug or so would be mor beneficial

Muslim Knight
11-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Just what is an Islamic car?

IKIM (Institute for Islamic Understanding Malaysia) VIEWS:
By Dr Syed Ali Tawfik al-Attas,
Director General

The term ‘Islamic’ betrays an activity (amal), one that is derived from the fundamental elements of the worldview of Islam and it is not something indicative of ritual appearance. It refers to an activity or action and by necessity an actor.

IT WAS another Sunday morning. It had been raining the night before and it was still raining the following morning. The sky was still overcast; the sun had not been seen for days.

Not exactly the kind of welcome to the day; certainly not the kind of day that could put one in a cheerful mood. So already my temperament, much like the weather, was indecisive.

It would not take much of an impetus to decide the mood my temperance would follow. I decided, perhaps due to a spell of fleeting boredom, to read the newspaper, and that’s when it happened.

I went from being wilfully undecided to angry and insulted. But you may ask, what could have caused this sudden swing in temperament?
That which caused me to become angry and insulted was an article on Proton's “Islamic car” concept.

Reporting from Tehran, the national news agency Bernamasaid that, “Malaysia, together with Iran and Turkey plans to produce ‘Islamic cars’ for the global market.”

This of course was according to Proton Holdings Bhd managing director Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir. He however, did not claim the proposal was his idea, rather, according to the report the idea was mooted by Iran.

The cars are apparently “expected to have Islamic features such as the compass kiblat reading and compartments for keeping the Quran and scarves.”

A complete perusal of the article betrays the fact that the focus was not on making a car “Islamic”, but rather on using the term “Islamic” as an advertising tool purely for economic gain.

The article quoted the managing director of Proton Holdings Bhd as having said that “the car will have all the Islamic features”, a statement which assumes he knows what the term “Islamic” means, and what those features are that make a car Islamic.

Is he correct? Does he indeed know what the term “Islamic” conveys? The term “Islamic”, contrary to popular modernist belief, is not something indicative of ritual appearance.

In truth, the term “Islamic” betrays an activity (amal), one that is derived from the fundamental elements of the worldview of Islam. As such it necessarily requires an actor (pengamal).

As far as the article is concerned, the term “Islamic” refers primarily to the features associated with an inanimate object, one that by definition is devoid of an actor and by virtue of which cannot act (mengamal).

Why is this so? Clearly by virtue of the fact that we have said earlier that the term “Islamic” refers to an activity or action and by necessity an actor, logically then there must be a system of laws governing that action, namely the syariah.

Yet, how can one assume that the possibility of conceptualising a car said to be “Islamic” exists when we have pointed out that such a notion is connected to an activity and therefore a system of laws, the syariah in this case, a system interpreted not only in accordance with erudite scholarship but defined by the fundamental elements of the worldview of Islam?

Clearly, in this case they have taken the meaning of the term “Islamic” merely to refer to a ritual cloak, an outer manifestation, and even then their description of such a manifestation is absurd to say the least.

How does having a “compass kiblat reading and compartments for keeping the Quran and scarves” make the proposed so called “Islamic” car fundamentally distinct from all other cars?

German automotive designers now include a GPS system capable of pinpointing the kiblat in many of their higher-end vehicles; as far as compartment space is concerned most, if not all, car manufacturers boast numerous compartments for the storage of items, scarves included.

These car manufacturers do not specify what items may be or should be stored in these compartments; that decision is left to the consumer.

Do these automobile manufacturers advertise their vehicles as “Islamic” simply because they include these features? If the answer is “No”, then why do the Muslims feel the need to do so?

So, another important question arises: is the car a proper justifiable place for one to keep the Quran? Any good Muslim understands that there is a “right place” for everything.

Once again this right place is defined by the worldview of Islam and its related fundamental elements. As such, once a thing is afforded its rightful place in accordance with that worldview, what results is justice.

Since we affirm that there is such a thing as a “right place”, then logically there must be such a thing as a “wrong place”.

A “wrong place” will most certainly not be in accordance with the worldview of Islam and its related fundamental elements by virtue of the fact that what results is injustice, a condition which may also be equally demonstrated.

The Quran is unlike any book one may purchase from a bookstore. As the Word of God, it is supposed to be accorded the proper respect it deserves.

As such, a car is not the right place for the Quran, neither is a car’s rear windshield the right place to display verses from the Quran.
Hence, the very idea of constructing a car having “compartments for keeping the Quran, is in fact unjust and subsequently antithetical to the worldview of Islam and its related fundamental elements.

Therefore, far from being “Islamic”, the act of keeping the Quran in a car is, in fact, un-Islamic.

My concern here is that Islam and all its associated elements – namely, Islamic, Islamisation and so on – are being corrupted by those who know not, and know not they know not (la yadri wa la yadri annahu la yadri).

Islam is not a religion for the feeble-minded, nor is it the handmaiden of politics or a cliché (cogankata) for advertising, business and economics.

The fact that the Muslim world today suffers politically, economically and intellectually is due in large part to the Muslims, and not Islam.
In my opinion, far from ennobling the Muslims and the Muslim world, such proposals like an “Islamic car” bring shame, and invite unnecessary ridicule.

north_malaysian
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

just try google it!

We even manufacture our own motorcycle brand modenas and others

We even manufacture our own monorail...

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...318&sec=nation

north_malaysian
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
maybe we can get north_malaysian one of these "islamic" cars. :D
well...

as Muslim Knight said... "Proton" is not an Islamic company.... they just introducing an "Islamic Theme" car for Muslim market...

My father drives a Proton, so do both of my sisters... but I drive a Hyundai.

- for the hijab compartment -
I think it's useful for Muslimat in Turkey or France where they cant wear Hijab in public places...

Or maybe as a stand-by hijab, in case your baby throw-up or urinate on your hijab...

- for the Koran compartment -
it's useful for people like a Hafiz, or religious teacher, or any ordinary Muslim who read the Koran frequently while travelling... at least the Koran wont fall off if you hit something or an emergency break scenario...

- Qibla Compass -
I just consider it as a gift for Muslim buyer.... I dont think a car is a comfortable place to perform salah.

Suggestions:
- compartment for Prayer Mat
- compartment for your slipper/shoe (in case there are shoe thieves around the mosque)
- MP3/CD Player with freebies of Koranic, Islamic Studies or Nashid CDs
- compartment for drink and simple food (in case you have to do your iftaar inside your car due to the traffic jams)
- Free booklet on how to perform Jama' & Qasr Prayers while travelling

north_malaysian
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Malaysian manufactured cars

Proton Satria Neo

Proton Gen-2

Proton Wira

Proton Waja

Proton Satria

Proton Saga LMST

Proton Persona

Proton Perdana

Proton Juara

Proton Iswara

Proton Impion

Proton 400

Proton 300

north_malaysian
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
more Malaysian cars

Perodua Rusa

Perodua Kenari

Perodua Kembara

Perodua Kelisa

Perodua Kancil

Perodua Myvi

Perodua Viva

Proton Savvy

syilla
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
:D i guess after this is the modenas...

i can't remember the big bike name is it Juara?

Muslim Knight
11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

i can't remember the big bike name is it Juara?
Juara is the mobile washing machine they made long time ago. At times I think it could actually combine with other box-like models to form Voltron, the Defender of the Universe.

syilla
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Juara is the mobile washing machine they made long time ago. At times I think it could actually combine with other box-like models to form Voltron, the Defender of the Universe.
but it is better than the Cha Ya Nun Alif made... :omg:

north_malaysian
11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Proton Abroad

-- DISTRIBUTORS --
* Argentina - Alfacar S.A.C.I.F.I.A
* Australia - Proton Cars Australia Pty. Ltd.
* Bahrain - Mohammed Jalal & Sons Automotive
* Bangladesh - Multimode Transport Consultants Ltd.
* Barbados - McEnearney Quality Inc.
* Bermuda - HWP Group
* Brunei - Worldwide Motor Sdn. Bhd.
* Chile - Automotriz Proton S.A. Munoz
* Costa Rica - Casa de Autos S.A.
* Cyprus - Anvar Supplies Ltd.
* Dominican Rep. - Viamar, C. Por A, VCP. AV. Maximo Gomez
* Egypt - Alpha Ezz Elarab
* Fiji - Pala's Auto Services Ltd.
* Germany - Emil Frey Autoteilewelt GMBH PAIM
* Ghana - International Automobile Ltd.
* Indonesia - PT Proton Edar Indonesia
* Iran - Zagross Khodro
* Iraq - General Automobile and Machinery Co.
* Jordan - Jordan River Motors Co. Ltd.
* Kuwait - Mohamed Naser Al Sayer & Sons Est. Co. W.L.L
* Lebanon - Malaysian Lebanese Trading House S.A.R.L
* Malawi - City Motors Ltd.
* Maldives - Min. of Defence and Natl. Security
* Mauritius - Raouf Dusmohamud & Co. Ltd
* Nepal - Bhudeo Trading
* Oman - Transworld for Marketing & Trading
* Pakistan - Royal Automobiles (Pvt) Ltd.
* Philippines - Auto Prominence Corpn.
* Qatar - Doha Motors & Trading Co.
* Russia - OOO "Ventus"
* Saudi Arabia - Al Rashed & Al Thunayan Auto Co.
* Singapore - Proton Singapore Pte. Ltd.
* Slovenia - Proton Avto RD. D.O.O
* South Africa - Pearl Automotive (Pty.) Ltd.
* Sri Lanka - Swedish Trading Co. Ltd.
* Syria - Free Way, MTT.
* Taiwan - Pao Teng Lien Hua Co. Ltd.
* Trinidad and Tobago - H.E. Robinson Enterprise Ltd.
* Turkey - Ulo Motor SAN.VE TIC.A.S
* UAE - National Auto
* UK - Proton Cars (UK) Ltd
* Vietnam - Vinastar Motors Corpn.

Ref.: http://www.protonparts.com.my/3_mark...nch.htm#EUROPE

-- WEBSITES --
* Australia http://www.proton.com.au/
* Bangladesh http://www.bracnet.net/default.aspx?...xid=1476&m=web
* Indonesia http://www.proton-edar.co.id/
* Nepal http://www.proton.com.np/
* Singapore http://www.proton.com.sg/showroom.html
* UK http://www.proton.co.uk/

truemuslim
11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
wierd...cant you just leave the headscarf on you and buy a compass??...wait...why would you pray in a car??? lol... allahu akbar

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.