/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone

urbandryad
09-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi everybody. My name is Jen, and I want to start by saying I am not Islamic, not searching to convert to a new religion. But I want to learn more about the religion its beliefs, and understand from the people themseves. I've been surrounded by anti-Muslim images and verbose everywhere, and I want to be open minded. I want to learn and grow, and learn more about other systems of faith that are different from my own. I'm not going to disclose my beliefs, I want to hear things from an unbiassed perspective.

You see, my big problem is, I have this friend who is a Muslim. I adore him very much, but I haven't wanted to get closer to him, or understand him more out of fear. I don't know what his beliefs are. I don't understand, and I'm afraid to ask him. I want to be sensitive to his issues, and maybe learn to like him more without my heart being clouded by all the media and religious stuff heaped upon me.

Thanks for allowing me to join your forum. :3 ;)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
onsy
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
hey, welcome to de forums i'm new as well
hope you have a good stay

hippopotty
09-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Jen,

My name's Aliah and it's a pleasure to meet you. It's nice to see you're drawn to learning rather than becoming blinded by propaganda. I like a lot of people here have been born, brought up, and most likely can only consider the country they live in in the west as their home.

It is sad however you are frightened to talk to your friend - I can understand though you are frightened of what you might have to hear, that it will only confirm what the media is stating as the way of thinking in Islam.

I think most people come here to this forum because its a nice haven we can be Muslims and not have to worry we will get judged on recent events, but also be American or British (as I am) or Arab (or anywhere else in the world under the spotlight) without our nationality being questioned.

I have a reverse problem compared to you: My best friend is a devout Christian, and most people I mix with tend to be religious in Christianity or asthiests. The problem being is that despite our common values in life, all this happening in the world leaves an insecurity amongst us as to much we can discuss current affairs before our beliefs divide us. Its opposite to yours but as much a problem because there is not much to learn in beliefs from each other as we know how devoted we are and thus will defend what we believe is for the cause of our faith, but rather knowing how much it might divide us should we start talking. Its sad but true...but you can't give up the centre of your life for friends.

The moral of the story is, don't be afraid of talking but don't expect to agree or even understand completely, and most of all, don't ever base friendship on common belief in social and political issues because your friendship is doomed from the start. However, if you are friends, and you are indeed open minded, then listen, learn and it really shouldn't matter to you if he says something contraversial against for example american foreign policy or something like that because you respect his right to a religious based opinion.

And if you're hoping to be more than friends, well, as I said, nobody can be expected to compromise a condition of their belief system for friendship or love as in the case of Islam, we cannot compromise our partner's religion being anything but Islam.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope it helps - mostly because its sad how little we are able to integrate even in the 21st century because of mass ignorance about Islam or other religions, despite the non-Islamic world claiming to be open minded and more accepting of all faiths and cultures. Sadly its all talk.

Aliah :shade:

Khayal
09-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Greetings

:welcome: to the board .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Isaac
09-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi jen and welcome to the forum. look at me i alredy sound like ive been here for years. to tell the truh i juts joined today, well yesterday. any way, i hope you acheive what you want to do. i have to respect you for your open mind. take care.

black_blood
09-20-2005, 04:12 AM
lol yeh isaac u sound as if uve been here for a while...
but i came three days ago...

anyway jen welcome and i have triple more non muslim frends than muslim frends who like me very much...they think im the coolest muslim theyve ever seen (well...not so sure about dat).
anyway u will learn alot os stuff here insha ALLAH.

SALAMZ

Mainul_Islam
09-20-2005, 11:06 AM
:sl:

:welcome:

Muhammad
09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Greetings Jen,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you will learn much about Islam, God-willing, and enjoy your stay here. Please feel free to ask questions and browse the forum!

Peace.

- Qatada -
09-21-2005, 05:12 PM

hey, welcome to the forum. if you unsure about anything to do with Islam, please dont be afraid to ask. we all here to help out, and its a place to put your views forward. as you know the majority of the propaganda on tv and media hasn't got nothin to do with Islam and all of the crimes that took place are condemned within Islam.

in the holy Qur'an, it says:

“…if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people.” (Al- Quran 5:32)

hope you enjoy your stay here and benefit alot insha Allah (god willing.)

peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!