/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what to look for in a laptop...

chacha_jalebi
11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
salaam ma alaykam:D

elo ello

im looking to buy a laptop so like what should i look for? because i aint got clue about comps, like ive asked people but still havent got a clue

so what is ghz? whats the best one to look for?

best RAM?

whats best internal functions?

and any good laptops...

jazakallah khair

(if any smart alec says search google or go to a shop:p il hunt you down:p) na lol any advice guys:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
:salamext:

elo ello :D (just thought I'd see how that feels, pretty shoddy really) :D

Anyway...look for a GOOD laptop, dassit really and you're sorted, oh and make sure it has the ~ symbol on your keyboard coz if not you've been ripped off! :D

aamirsaab
11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
:sl:
Lappys are crap for gaming - anyone who says different is rather silly because the same model pc is cheaper. I know because I check regularly.

On the other hand, they are quite good for word processing and I guess watching telly on a bus/train/coach.

The spec of the lappy is dependent upon what you use it for; general or main (tbh, if main you should get a desk top)

General use:
2.00 ghz processor onwards - anything less is pointless.
Hard drive - 80 gb onwards
Ram - 512 absolute minimum. 256 on light usage is quite poor on a desktop and will be even worse on a lappy.

Estimated price: £250 to £400 (price will vary from shop and certain specs)

Main (i.e the equivalent of a family pc)
3.00 ghz processor - don't go lower.
Hard drive - 120 minimum. But, you can purchase external hard drives - one from pcworld: 80 quid for 250 gb and it even fits in the palm of your hand. Well, a hand atleast.
RAM - 1024 minimum.

Estimated price: £500 - £1000+ (the cheapest you will get that spec is probably around £600 but you will have to look hard). If you want the full hog though, it will most likely go well over £1000.
But, as said before, if you are going for main usage, get a desk top. Far cheaper and better value overall.

aamirsaab
11-12-2007, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Bah, dell. Bloody rip-offs! You have to be very carefull with dells: their initial prices are great, but tinker here or there and watch that price sky-rocket.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
11-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm being ignored as usual :mmokay:

http://www.bizrate.com/mkt.xpml?mkt_id=41397271

^^ there you go :D

Re.TiReD
11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Suggestions Miss. I don't know anything about computers, not price comparison sites :D the brother is pretty loaded! Masha'Allah ;D

Obviously you must know how to turn on a computer before making any suggestions, that's just standard. :okay:
eh ? :playing: tumi fagol, ima go now. Salaam :D

'Abd al-Baari
11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

I wouldn't advise anyone to use a laptop for gaming, even if it is made for games, i mean what are PS/Xbox's for:?

I know thats some people don't like Dell, but i've had mine for almost a year, and theres been no problems so far :)

This is a pretty basic one from Dell with 1 GB Ram and 80 GB Hard drive. Plus it comes with 1.76 Ghz Dual Core Processor & an option for Windows XP

These ones are a bit more advanced and a lot more expensive too

If you do decide to get a Dell, rather than ordering online ring them, you can usualy get them to throw in a few freebies :D

chacha_jalebi
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
well lol im kinda broke so lik a tenna and you lot can put the rest in:p and make my eid :D

na around £600, can i get a decent one in that much? any suggestions...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.