11-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Wa'alaykum Salaam wa Rahmatullaah

Check these two links:

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=41...eng&txt=tattoo
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=54...eng&txt=tattoo'

So in short: No, tattoos are not OK...

adeel
11-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Nope well the above links are the proof, even the the tatoos that rub away after a few days are not Allowed

syilla
11-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Question
My question is regarding tattoos. My husband and I are both new Muslim converts. We are both Americans and lived a typical American lifestyle before reverting.

My problem is that my husband and I have extensive tattoo work done on our bodies. We would like one day to go to Hajj, in sha’ Allah. But, my husband is concerned that his extensive tattoos will cause him problems.

Due to the extensive nature of his tattoos, it would be so expensive to remove them that we don’t have removal as an option at this time. Also, that would maybe leave extensive scarring as well.

Shouldn’t we perform Hajj? As a female I do not have this worry since I am now covering, but my husband still has to worry about his arms and chest showing.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we implore Allah-from the depth of our hearts- to guide you along the path of truth and righteousness.

It is really a chance to congratulate you and your husband for becoming Muslims, and we hope you understand the tolerant teachings of Islam, whom Allah chooses to guide the baffled humanity to the safe shore.

Before answering your question, we would like first to ascertain that Islam has a solution for every problem, and the scope of the Shari`ah is not that stern as some may claim. Although tattoos are unlawful or haram to apply at first place, there is nothing wrong for new Muslim converts, who have no means to remove them, in leaving them. The tolerant teachings of Islam and its peaceful spirit makes it easy for new converts to become easily adapted to its unique environment, and matchless life style.

In short, a new Muslim convert cannot be casted out of Islam, after recently embracing it, for having no means to remove tattoos applied during his pre-Islamic life.

In his response to the question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

“First of all, I would like to stress the fact that it is haram to have tattoos on the body. However, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Islam takes away the sins done before it.”

Thus, if these tattoos cannot be removed easily or if you have to spend a lot of money to remove them, then you should not worry about them.

When Hajj becomes obligatory on you, you should perform it and do not neglect it because of tattoos on your body. No one should stop you from going to Hajj because of tattoos. I have seen hundreds of pilgrims, men and women, who come from some countries and they have all kinds of tattoos on their faces and bodies. It is forbidden in Islam, but among some tribes in Africa, unfortunately, it is still practiced, even among Muslims.”

source

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm_Qaylah
11-23-2007, 05:28 AM
As-Salaamu 'Alaykum,

Henna is perfectly halaal though :D.

Was-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullaah

syilla
11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Question:
What is the ruling on so-called temporary tattoos, which is a kind of picture that sticks to some part of the body and disappears after a few days?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

If it is a picture of an animal etc., then it is haraam [forbidden] and is not allowed. If it is a picture of trees or similar patterns, then it is OK, but in my view it is better not to do this, because it imposes an extra burden on women of spending and having to take care of these patterns. So it is better not to do it.

From the Fatwas of Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen for al-Da’wah magazine, no. 1741, 7/2/1421 AH, p. 36

source

Noor 13
11-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Salam alaykom
I am revert as well and I got tatoos done before I converted to Islam. And as far as I know there is no problem with it since you did it before becoming a Muslim. Going to Hajj should not be a problem because of it cause noone has the right to judge you as noone knows the story behind it but Allah.

Breakfast
12-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Salam Alaikum

Is it haram to have tattoos of blood type or religion in case of death? For instance in the military would it be haram to have a small, modest tattoo with no design, just letters, on one's ankle or inner arm or someplace out of sight and out of mind?

Ninth_Scribe
12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Wa'alaykum Salaam wa Rahmatullaah

Check these two links:

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=41...eng&txt=tattoo
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=54...eng&txt=tattoo'

So in short: No, tattoos are not OK...
Depends on who you ask.

The Jews say no because: Deuteronomy 14:1 - You are the sons of God. You shall not cut yourselves.... snip.... on account of the dead.

The Sunnis also agree, giving the same citation you provided.

The Shiites, however, allow the use of tattoos and often cut themselves, like for Ashurah (on account of the dead).

The Nazarenes agree with the Shiites for the purpose of commemorating the dead.

The arguments (for or against) involve two separate practices. One is a very ancient 'remembrance' ritual and the other is Avodah Zarah (strange customs), specifically involving artificial adornments and markings. I've been studying this for some time now and one of my online friends even sent me a terrific book on the subject, wherein is recorded ancient funerary and mourning customs, most of which are from the Middle East.

For the purposes of this Islamic forum though, I'd say it's down to what sect you belong to, whether you are Shiite or Sunni.

The Ninth Scribe

adeeb
12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noor 13
Salam alaykom
I am revert as well and I got tatoos done before I converted to Islam. And as far as I know there is no problem with it since you did it before becoming a Muslim. Going to Hajj should not be a problem because of it cause noone has the right to judge you as noone knows the story behind it but Allah.
if u can erase that, it would better if u erase it, because that's haram...

if u can't, or it would be hard and painfull to erase it, just leave it...

Allah knows best!

czgibson
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Greetings,

A quick non-Muslim perspective on this: I'm happy to say I agree with the ruling on tattoos. I think they are incredibly unappealing on just about every level.

My brother has one, and he also likes getting different bits of himself pierced, too. Yuk!

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.