/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saffron

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Saffron (Yellow, Red/Yellow) Colored Garments

^Bowl of Harvested Saffron Among Crocus Blossoms^

Harvesters pick the three red-orange stigma from each saffron crocus blossom to be sold as the saffron spice.

^A Saffron Shoulder Bag^

History records that the Phoenecians and Carthegenians used Saffron’s golden hues to dye the veils of their brides. Even now, Buddhist monks use it for coloring their robes. Indian brides use it for the ceremonial painting of their skins. The Irish use it for tinting wool. The Japanese use it for hand painting kimonos. It has also been used in the arts and paintings.

Before the Renaissance, saffron had several religious uses. Even today, Indian hindu women, when offering prayers, receive a paste of saffron on their foreheads (Tikka) as a symbol of blessings, good luck and benevolance. Also in India, saffron is offered as a sacrifice in many hindu temples. Certain Hindu texts have been known to be written with saffron ink.

Some Ahadeeth

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4037, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I do not ride on purple, or wear a garment dyed with saffron*, or wear shirt hemmed with silk.

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4210, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud
The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) disliked ten things: 1. Yellow colouring...

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood #4055, Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As
We came down with the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) from a turning of a valley. He turned his attention to me and I was wearing a garment dyed with a reddish yellow dye. He asked: What is this garment over you? I recognised what he disliked. I then came to my family who were burning their oven. I threw it (the garment) in it and came to him the next day. He asked: Abdullah, what have you done with the garment? I informed him about it. He said: Why did you not give it to one of your family to wear, for there is no harm in it for women.

*a moderate orange to orange yellow color

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sevgi
11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
:sl:

is there any justification for his dislike??? im not judging id just like to know.

why is it wrong for men and not women..i thought it was beacuse the colour was attractive untill he said that there was no harn in it for women...

peace

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

is it ok if i explain without sourcing? lol

ok basically women and men are two different beings, there are things which can effeminate a person (make them more feminnine such as jewellery/silk/bright colors etc), saffron is simply one of those things. Therefore to not be like women the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam has made it permissable for women and not for men.

think of saffron as make up, now even the kuffar maintain the fitrah to understand that make up is simply not for men (except for homo actors :|)

hope that makes sense lol

------
11-14-2007, 12:14 PM
:salamext:

I get where ur coming from...I think! Good post Mashaa Allaah :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Camomilla
11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah, I wanna know too.
this is interesting.
thanx for the share, Jazakallah Khair!

*~Sofia~*
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

is it ok if i explain without sourcing? lol

ok basically women and men are two different beings, there are things which can effeminate a person (make them more feminnine such as jewellery/silk/bright colors etc), saffron is simply one of those things. Therefore to not be like women the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam has made it permissable for women and not for men.

think of saffron as make up, now even the kuffar maintain the fitrah to understand that make up is simply not for men (except for homo actors :|)

hope that makes sense lol
:sl: bro,

After reading the post, I did ask maself 'why did the prophet (saw) dislike it:?' but after ur gud explanation I get it now, so jazakhallah khair :thumbs_up

Good post and jazakhallah for sharin'.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM

yeah but its only for men he didnt like it, i mean even before i knew Gold/silk etc was forbidden when i use to see men wear it i use to be like ":-\ wat happened there?" !

but he definitly never disapproved it, its a form of beautification for women, here check this also:

SAHIH BUKHARI
Volume 3, Book 34, Number 265:
Narrated Anas:

When Abdur-Rahman bin Auf came to Medina, the Prophet established a bond of brotherhood between him and Sad bin Ar-Rabi al-Ansari. Sad was a rich man, so he said to 'Abdur-Rahman, "I will give you half of my property and will help you marry." 'Abdur-Rahman said (to him), "May Allah bless you in your family and property. Show me the market." So 'Abdur-Rahman did not return from the market) till he gained some dried buttermilk (yoghurt) and butter (through trading). He brought that to his house-hold. We stayed for some-time (or as long as Allah wished), and then Abdur-Rahman came, scented with yellowish perfume. The Prophet said (to him) "What is this?" He replied, "I got married to an Ansari woman." The Prophet asked, "What did you pay her?" He replied, "A gold stone or gold equal to the weight of a date stone." The Prophet said (to him), "Give a wedding banquet even if with one sheep."
that yellowish perfume is saffron, and the Messenger sallallahi alaihi wasallaam did not dissaprove :)

Ummu Sufyaan
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
no offence, but how do you that thats refering to perfume.:?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
no offence, but how do you that thats refering to perfume.:?
wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullah

no offence and lol you mean how do i know its referring to safron?

awlaki/alshareef and many others have mentioned it in lectures, the yellowness on the cheeks of abdur-rahman ibn awf radhiallahu anhu on that day was saffron.

but i could be wrong :) if someone finds me to be wrong, please correct me inshaAllah

Ummu Sufyaan
11-15-2007, 03:14 AM
you mean how do i know its referring to safron?
i must have:hiding:
so in other words he (radiallahu anhu) rubbed saffron on his face. :?

Abdul-Raouf
11-15-2007, 03:35 AM

:?

THISMIGHT BE THE REASON .......

Saffron and Yellow are the sacred colours for
HINDUS - those coloured dresses are worn by
HINDU SAGES
and PRIESTS.....
and by many staunch HINDUS...

Our Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) might have known it before..

:?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-15-2007, 10:04 AM

i must have:hiding:
so in other words he (radiallahu anhu) rubbed saffron on his face. :?
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

lol jazakALlahu khair for making me laugh

no sister, our nabi sallallahi alaihi wasallaam noticed hints from the smell of saffron on his cheek and he also noticed a bit of the color, thus he realised that Abdur Rahman Ibn Awf radhiallahu anhu spent time playing with his wife and happily asked "what is this?"

lol i hope thats clear now inshaAllah

Ummu Sufyaan
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
kind of...:X:-[
does anyone have it in arabic. hopefully, i'll understand it better. :X

Malaikah
11-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Hey, isn't that stuff used for cooking... :? It is so expensive!! About ten bucks for a couple of centimetre's of the stuff!

IbnAbdulHakim
11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

yes my mum uses it for cooking

Saffron
Saffron is the stamen, or filament of a crocus. It is like small threads of a yellow/orange color. It also comes in powder form.
It is commonly used to flavor and add color to broths and rice dishes. A little goes a long way, which is good because it is not cheap.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Sa...h_seafood_soup

sevgi
11-17-2007, 04:50 AM

^^^ohh..so its for effeminising purpouses...ok.

bro, u cudve jst said its like gold n silk...

ive read up on the chemical make up of gold n silk why it is scientificlly like that,,

but what is it about the color of safron??? is it more psychological...?

Nabooly
11-17-2007, 04:59 AM
I have tons of shirts that are bright yellow. Is that a problem?

sevgi
11-17-2007, 05:02 AM
i know...is that a problem???

like..yellow is yellow...

who picks out a yellow shirt saying.."i like this saffron one.."

like...i dno???

bro,,,do u feel more effeminite in it?lol.:?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-17-2007, 01:03 PM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah

i heard men should avoid bright colors, Allahu A'lam

Nabooly
11-18-2007, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i know...is that a problem???

like..yellow is yellow...

who picks out a yellow shirt saying.."i like this saffron one.."

like...i dno???

bro,,,do u feel more effeminite in it?lol.:?
Whether you like yellow is not my problem el sara7a. I just said that i have a lot of shirts that re yellow, and if that was a problem...

Ummu Sufyaan
11-18-2007, 06:54 AM
brother, i think you have misunderstood the sis. she didn't mean that yellow shirts are ugly. what she meant was that one dosn't walk up to clothing rack in a store and think 'this is saffron shirt' because one has always known the colour yellow, as yellow not as saffron. does that make sense. she didn't mean it in a bad way.

sevgi
11-20-2007, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabooly
Whether you like yellow is not my problem el sara7a. I just said that i have a lot of shirts that re yellow, and if that was a problem...
whaaattt???

bro...i wasnt dissing you...sorry uve misundastood me...

whoooohhh...

yeah...i get u...im on urside. i was trying to say that the coulour yellow has merely become "the colour yellow" and that noone thinks that way anymore....like, perhaps this saffron issue is a lil less valid valid now than it was back then..coz its become so mainstream...

like, i was asking u if it does make you feel any more feminine than usual...as our prophet implied...

sorry for the misunderstanding...

peace.

Nabooly
11-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Oh im really sorry. I thought you were saying that yellow shirts are ugly. I guess i totally misunderstood you.

Im sorry again :)

Camomilla
11-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to know, is It OK to perform the Salaat with clothes that
are bright coloured/ saffron or what ever?
I know this sounds stupid but this thought just caim into my mind :)

Ummu Sufyaan
11-26-2007, 08:49 AM
no sis, it anit a stupid qn :sunny: but can i ask, why wouldn't you be allowed to:?

Camomilla
11-26-2007, 09:00 AM
no sis, it anit a stupid qn :sunny: but can i ask, why wouldn't you be allowed to:?
:D
well I don't know, if It's not a harm for women, then I guess It is OK...
what do you think sis?

Ummu Sufyaan
11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
woah, man. dont ask me. i dunno.

Noor 13
11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Salam alaykom
This is a very interesting topic. I didn't know that it was disliked by the prophet sallalhu aleihi wa sallem. The question to me is did he not like the colour yellow or is it because of the saffron? I am sure at that time there were also other substances to dye something yellow (Like curcuma)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.