PDA

View Full Version : Philippines in Muslim homeland deal



wilberhum
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
The Philippines government has reached an agreement with the country's largest Muslim separatist group on laying out the boundaries for a Muslim homeland in the troubled south.

On Thursday, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) outlined the designated territory to fall under Muslim control in the Mindanao region.




"Demarcation [of the homeland's boundaries] has been agreed," Rodolfo Garcia, the chief government negotiator, told reporters after two days of talks with MILF officials in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur ended.

No MILF officials were available to confirm or deny the report.






The government and MILF have been in talks for a decade about a self-governed territory for Muslims in the largely Catholic country - in hopes of ending a brutal 40-year-old conflict.

Disagreements over the size and wealth of the proposed territory had delayed talks for over a year and were a major stumbling block to an eventual permanent peace deal.

"It's definitely very good news," Jesus Dureza, a presidential adviser, said.

Bloody conflict

He added that the two sides hoped to sign a formal agreement early next year before moving onto what sort of government the homeland will have.

The two sides have previously signed two agreements on security and rehabilitation in conflict-affected areas.

Muslims in the south of the Philippines have been fighting for their own territory for decades.

The conflict has killed more than 120,000 people and displaced at least 2 million since the late 1960s.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...DA8F174995.htm
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
11-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a hard time thinking of any "Separatist group" in a positive light.

What do yall think about this?
Reply

Amadeus85
11-16-2007, 08:20 PM
So now Mindanao will be seperate state or just authonomic part of Philipinnes? Anyway, i dont understand , why relatively poorer south province want to separate from richer rest of Philipinnes.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-17-2007, 05:34 AM
I think the Moroland would be an autonomous state not an independent state.

I hope both Muslims and Christians in the Philippines can live peacefully. There are like 500,000 of the Moros seeking refuge in Malaysia.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
north_malaysian
11-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron85
Anyway, i dont understand , why relatively poorer south province want to separate from richer rest of Philipinnes.
Maybe with the same reason as Pattani separatists... they're Muslims and discriminated.
Reply

Amadeus85
11-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Maybe with the same reason as Pattani separatists... they're Muslims and discriminated.
But how they situation could improve now? They would be cut off from financial help from Manilla i guess. And why they could live together untill 70's.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-18-2007, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron85
But how they situation could improve now? They would be cut off from financial help from Manilla i guess. And why they could live together untill 70's.
The moros have been rebelious since the Spanish colonisation time...

After obtaining independence from US, they managed to live peacefully until a President (I forgot his name) establish "Go South Policy" where Christians living in overcrowded areas in Luzon and Cebu were encouraged to go south (Muslim majority areas) and open new lands... Then this fighting for Moroland independence happened...

I'm not really know much about the Moros as I live in the Mainland Malaysia... maybe those who live in the state of Sabah (in Borneo part of Malaysia) know better about the exact situation.

From what I know, at least half a million of the Moros are living in Sabah, some of them even got Malaysian citizenship.
Reply

barney
11-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Thats a totally unfortunate abbreviation that group has. MILF is a well known western abbreviation for something extremly rude!

Anyway, nice to see theyre finally working it out without more bloodspilling.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by barney
Thats a totally unfortunate abbreviation that group has. MILF is a well known western abbreviation for something extremly rude!

Anyway, nice to see theyre finally working it out without more bloodspilling.
Yeah... we really hope that would find an amicable solution and both parties are satisfied...

p/s: and anti-immigrant Malaysians would be happy to send back those 500,000 Moros....
Reply

Tania
11-21-2007, 03:36 AM
Malaysia don't have the right to send back people which choose to live there. Its every person right to live where they wish to do so. :(
Reply

syilla
11-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tania
Malaysia don't have the right to send back people which choose to live there. Its every person right to live where they wish to do so. :(
the government wont send back any immigrant except the illegal ones. But now about half of the Malaysian hates immigrant because of the increases of crime cases especially rape and murder cases.
Reply

Amadeus85
11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by syilla
the government wont send back any immigrant except the illegal ones. But now about half of the Malaysian hates immigrant because of the increases of crime cases especially rape and murder cases.
Its just like in Europe.
Reply

Amadeus85
11-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tania
Malaysia don't have the right to send back people which choose to live there. Its every person right to live where they wish to do so. :(
It sounds very naive. Citizens of everu country have ( or should have ) right to choose who let in inside their country and who dont.
Reply

wilberhum
11-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tania
Malaysia don't have the right to send back people which choose to live there. Its every person right to live where they wish to do so. :(
Where do you get your reality from? :hmm:

You do not even have the right to enter another country without there permission.
Reply

al-muslimah
11-22-2007, 05:35 AM
MAy Allah protect and have mercy on those mujahideen in the Philipines.Ameen.May they be victorious.
Reply

Tania
11-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Where do you get your reality from? :hmm:

You do not even have the right to enter another country without there permission.
I didn't understand they are ilegal there.We use this term for every person out from my country :-[
My politics its very good and its based on the news :p
Reply

north_malaysian
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tania
Malaysia don't have the right to send back people which choose to live there. Its every person right to live where they wish to do so. :(
We've been sending back hundreds of thousands of immigrants before ... 500,000 Moros... is nothing.

In Malaysia, only Malaysian Malays can buy Malay Reserve Lands, Malay Reserved Houses. Who constitutes a "Malay"? Any Malaysian citizens who are Muslims, speak Malay Language habitually and practice Malay customs are considered as "Malays".

Thus, Malaysian citizens who are Arabs, Persians, Thais, Cambodians, Indians, Chinese, Javanese, Turks etc. as long as they are Muslims and speak Malay... they are considered as Malays.

Excluding, the state of Johor where Malaysian Arabs are considered as non-Malays. But Malaysian Turks are considered as Malays (weird huh?)

The states of Sabah and Sarawak (in Borneo part of Malaysia) can object any Malaysians from Peninsula (Malaya) from living and working in both states.

Conclusion, if Malaysians are not free to live wherever they want to live... how about the immigrants?

If a non-Malaysian want to buy a house, he could only buy a house not less than RM 100,000.00. If I'm not mistaken, he also must have a fixed account of not less than RM250,000.00...
Reply

north_malaysian
11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
the government wont send back any immigrant except the illegal ones.
True. But only 1.5 mil immigrants are legals. Yet, they're like 3 to 5 millions immigrants here.

Originally Posted by syilla
But now about half of the Malaysian hates immigrant because of the increases of crime cases especially rape and murder cases.
Half of Malaysians? I think it's 99% of Malaysians. Just look at the readers' comments on the daily newspapers everyday... and the local tv channels too.

Malaysians should be reminded that once upon a time, our ancestors are immigrants too...
Reply

north_malaysian
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron85
Its just like in Europe.
Yeah... but the different is that the locals and immigrants share common ancestry and religion.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron85
It sounds very naive. Citizens of everu country have ( or should have ) right to choose who let in inside their country and who dont.
you're just like an average Malaysian....:exhausted
Reply

Amadeus85
11-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Yeah... but the different is that the locals and immigrants share common ancestry and religion.
Yes i know. Its interesting BTW.
Reply

Tania
11-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
If a non-Malaysian want to buy a house, he could only buy a house not less than RM 100,000.00. If I'm not mistaken, he also must have a fixed account of not less than RM250,000.00...
We had this restriction here too. One of the president became very popular exactly due to this saying:" we don't sell our country". I presume this amounth are big for an average wage :? :-[
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
I have a hard time thinking of any "Separatist group" in a positive light.

What do yall think about this?
yeah stinking rebels in north america, about time britain invaded and took its territory back...
Reply

wilberhum
11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
yeah stinking rebels in north america, about time britain invaded and took its territory back...
Oddly enough, I think the American war of Independence was an unjust war. :coolious:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I wonder why USA doesn't join the British Commonwealth like other ex-British colonies?
Reply

wilberhum
11-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I wonder why USA doesn't join the British Commonwealth like other ex-British colonies?
I don't think we have thought of ourselves as part of the British Commonwealth since 1776. :D
Reply

al-muslimah
11-24-2007, 01:36 AM
" I wonder why USA doesn't join the British Commonwealth like other ex-British colonies.. "

Yeah Britain is still stronger than America since ruled it .Don't know why they act so weak today. America's cute little possy.
Reply

wilberhum
11-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by al-muslimah
" I wonder why USA doesn't join the British Commonwealth like other ex-British colonies.. "

Yeah Britain is still stronger than America since ruled it .Don't know why they act so weak today. America's cute little possy.
:giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling: :giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling:

Is that kinda like my dad can beat up your dad?
Or some other childhood remark? :uuh:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
:giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling: :giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling:

Is that kinda like my dad can beat up your dad?
Or some other childhood remark? :uuh:
Well... if USA attack Canada.... or UK... we Malaysian have to send army and help Canada or UK...

During our "Emergency Era" where the communists terrorise the people... UK, Australia, Fiji and other Commonwealth nations send army to help Malayan.
Reply

wilberhum
11-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Well... if USA attack Canada.... or UK... we Malaysian have to send army and help Canada or UK...

During our "Emergency Era" where the communists terrorise the people... UK, Australia, Fiji and other Commonwealth nations send army to help Malayan.
I just have to repeat it.
:giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling: :giggling::giggling::giggling:
Is that kinda like my dad can beat up your dad?
Or some other childhood remark?
:giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling::giggling: :giggling::giggling::giggling:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 07:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 06:42 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:23 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!