/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Tongue: Some saying of the Pious Predecessors

Umm Yoosuf
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Some saying of the Pious Predecessors

Source: The bad consequences of the tongue by Shaikh Ahmad Zamzami

Imam an-Nawwi [d.676H]- mentions: “know that it is incumbent upon all to guard their tongues from most speech, except a word that has some benefit in it…”

Look at his saying “from most speech,” that there are some sayings that have benefit in them but “most speech, you will find, is of no benefit.”
Abu Hurairah that the Messenger said:

Whoever believers in Allah and the last day should speak good or keep silent.

Imam an-Nawwi said: “I say that this hadith, which is agreed upon regarding its authenticity, is advised not to speak except that it be good speech… and whoever has doubt about its benefit then he should remain silent.”

Imam ash-Shafi’i said, “If you wish to speak then it is your responsibility to think before you speak. If you think there is good in it then you should speak and if not then do not speak.”

It is reported from Fudaly Ibn ‘Iyad that he said: “Whoever puts his saying by action then he will not speak about that which does not concern him.”

Imam ash-Shafi’I said to his friend Rabi’h, “O Rabi’h!” Do not speak about that which does not concern you, for you may speak about something and you do not catch (i.e relize what you are saying).”

Ibn Masud said, “The thing which deserves most to be imprisoned is the tongue.”

Abi Qaim Qusayri in his famous treatise “Samtu Salama” said, “It is the foundation, and silence in its time is the sign of a man, like the joke in its right time.”

Ima Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali said: “I heard this saying: In one of the gatherings, there was a topic being discussed fully. There were many statements (about it). Also present was one the possessors of knowledge but this Imam did not speak except for one remark after the people had spoken and finished. They asked him, “O Shaikh, why did you not speak?” So he said, “I only speak about that which Allah will give me a reward.”

Malik Ibn Anas said, “In everything there is benefit, except for kalam (speech), for its benefit harms.”

Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad said, “Two things make the heart very hard, too much speech and too much food.”

One of the scholars said: “The first things of Ibadah (worship) is learning to be silent, then seeking knowledge, then acting upon it, then guarding it, and then spreading it.”

Umar said: “…Whoever increases his sayings increases his punishment, and whoever increases his punishment decrease modesty, and whoever decreases his modesty decreases al-Wara’ (Fear), and whoever decreases al-Wara deadens the heart. ”

‘Umar would be afraid that his actions would not be accepted by Allah. He would not be content with the Jihad and worship that he had already fulfilled with the Messenger (even though he was the second Khalifah (Successor, caliph) where he dealt with justice between people. So how we today speaking day and night?

Ibn Mas’ud said, “By Allah in whom there is none worthy if worship but He, there is nothing more deserved to be imprison more then the tongue.”

From some of the Salaf a companion of Rabih ibn Haythum said: “Twenty years I did not hear from him one word.”

My dear brothers, I am only giving an advice about this topic and its danger and I am the most worthy of guarding my tongue. How much time I have wasted and used in vain talk and useless talk! We ask Allah to make this advice to be among our good deeds and make good our tongue and hearts.

Narrated Malik from Zaid ibn Aslam on the authority of his father on the authority of Umar that he visted Abu Bakr while he was pulling his tongue, so Umar said: “What is this, may Allah forgive you?” So Abu Bakr said, “This has put me to ruin.”

On the authority of Kharija who said, “I became friends with Abdullah ibn Awn fifteen years ago. I do not think the angels wrote anything about him.”

Fudayl Ibn Iyad said, “No Hajj or Jihad is more difficult than imprisoning the tongue.”

A man came to the scholar Umar ibn Abdul-Aziz and said, “O Amirul-Muminin! Tell me of the trial of speech?” So Umar wept continuously.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
11-15-2007, 08:12 PM
:salamext: may Allah help us all in guarding our tongues! Ameen! how much of our life we waste in idle talk! SuhanAllah! Jazakillah khayr ukhti!

Astaghfirullah~ :salamext:

ummAbdillah
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
:sl:
Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad said, “Two things make the heart very hard, too much speech and too much food.”
SubhanAllah^

Souljette
01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Subhanallah indeed

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cute123
05-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Umar said: “…Whoever increases his sayings increases his punishment, and whoever increases his punishment decrease modesty, and whoever decreases his modesty decreases al-Wara’ (Fear), and whoever decreases al-Wara deadens the heart. ”
Subhanallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.