/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who first collected the Qur'an

shafiqpeer
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
It is reported ... from Ali who said: "May the mercy of Allah be upon Abu Bakr, the foremost of men to be rewarded with the collection of the manuscripts, for he was the first to collect (the text) between (two) covers". (Ibn Abi Dawud, Kitab al-Masahif, p.5).

However, we find that there were other who preceded him in collecting the Qur'an texts into a single written codex:

It is reported ... from Ibn Buraidah who said: "The first of those to collect the Qur'an into a mushaf (codex) was Salim, the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifah". (as-Suyuti, Al-Itqan fii Ulum al-Qur'an, p.135).

Could you please clarify it for me. I would be very grateful if you could please provide me with the proof (Quran/hadeeth) as there are non-muslims who are asking questions.

Jazaakallah, brother Shafiq

p.s I hope the source of the hadeeth are genuine

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shafiqpeer
11-17-2007, 03:48 AM
FROM BROTHER BASSAM ZAWADI:

wa alaykum assalam

It is established in history that Abu Bakr was the first one TO ORDER the collection of the Qur'an.

Now if the narration from Suyuti is authentic it can easil be reconciled with the first one. For the one is trying to say that Abu Bakr was the first to order its collection. Its clear from other hadith that put Zayd ibn Thaabit in charge of its collection.

As for Suyuti it could possibly try to convey that the first one who practically and actively participated in its collection was Salim.

Now this is assuming that both narrations are authentic.

The problem is that there are many inauthentic narrations in Suyuti's Itqan.

and kitab al masahif in sunan abu dawud has a bad reputation in containing many weak narrations.

Allah knows best

shafiqpeer
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
[B]FROM ISLAMBEB[B]

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/S...stionId&lang=E

A good answer

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.