/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Selling musical instruments.

lewcow
11-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Salaamu Alaykum,

I used to play in a rock band before converting. I now have thousands of dollars worth of musical equipment that I'm not going to use. I don't want to sell it because I don't want to have anyone else using it for fear of them being led astray, but I do also consider the monetary value. What if I were to sell it and give charitably? Reason tells me - no. Perhaps burning the guitars would be liberating...

What do y'all think?

Ma Salaama

Lewis

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
*Thread approved*

Noor 13
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Salam alaykom

That is a though question. I do understand your intention of wnatng to sell them but it you are making a very good point in saying that you don't want them anyoneelse to lead astray.
I really don't know what would be the right thing to do.
I have myself a very expensive saxophone in my storage not knowing what to do with it.
Maybe someone else knows what to do????

tigersabre
11-28-2007, 06:09 AM
I can't give fatwa since I'm not qualified to give one, but I'd say, go with where you know there is no danger for yourself due to doubts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
People will buy instruments ayway. Why not make a buck out of it and donate it to some islamic charity?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
:sl:

Ask here: http://islamtoday.com/fatawa_form.cfm

You'll get a prompt reply, insha'Allaah.

جوري
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
sell it on ebay, if you throw it in the garbage someone will take it for free any play with it anyway.. this is not an islamic opinion but a personal one..
for many people it is mandatory to play an instrument in school, that is the case even in so called islamic countries, so they'll buy it with or without you, might as wel get your money back..

:w:

lewcow
11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Because if one uses that logic, then one is liable to say something like, "I have some drugs that I use from when I did drugs, since people will use drugs anyway, I might as well sell them." - I think most would say that's no good justification.

The point is that if the instruments are wrong to use, I don't want to be at fault for aiding another to use them. If they get them from another source and I couldn't influence them, then its no sin of mine.

Whatsthepoint
11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lewcow
Because if one uses that logic, then one is liable to say something like, "I have some drugs that I use from when I did drugs, since people will use drugs anyway, I might as well sell them." - I think most would say that's no good justification.
Yeah, but then again most can tell the difference between drugs and musical instruments.

جوري
11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
To be honest with you nothing is ever so black and white.. for instance take your drug example.. we can all agree that cocaine is a drug and is illegal correct?

but cocaine is also still used in medicine as an anesthetic and because of its vaso-constrictive quality it may reduce blood loss so it is killing two birds with one stone.. of course it is that same vaso-constrictive quality that leads people to have cardiac vasospasm and sudden death..
thus we can conclude that it has both good and bad qualities.. in the public hand it is an illegal drug leading to death.. in medicine, it is a drug that can save lives.. I don't know how that reconciles with the sale of instruments, when I wrote the above I certainly did state it was my opinion and I AM NOT A SCHOLAR... I just don't think things are as black and white as they appear, so when you post here the opinions will be varied, but I believe a brother above has given you an ask the scholar site which insha'Allah will guide you to the appropriate thing to do..

tigersabre
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
This issue is very black and white. If something is considered haraam, then so is its sale.

Otherwise, we could all make a ton of money from liquor stores ;)

Take the instruments, junk them so that no one else ever uses it, and move on, insha'Allah.

جوري
11-29-2007, 10:29 PM
ah but many medications out there have 'alcoholic (ETOH) properties' and are bought, sold and ingested every day by tons of Muslims, I am not disagreeing with what you are saying, I am not agreeing either, I am simply saying I DON'T KNOW and being sincerely honest in my not knowing.. isn't it best to ask a scholar? otherwise he can drive out to the desert of nevada and give them proper burial by night...

Astghfor Allah..

anyhow Allah knows best..

InToTheRain
11-29-2007, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
.. isn't it best to ask a scholar? otherwise he can drive out to the desert of nevada and give them proper burial by night...

Astghfor Allah..

anyhow Allah knows best..

Agreed.

This is a question regarding Fiqh and I would go with the opinion of the Majority opinion of the Ulema regarding this. If we do post a solution Insha'Allah we should provide the Daleel.

crayon
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Ahh, difficult situation.
I think I agree with most of the people here (even though it's not my opinion that you should follow, but that of a scholars), that you should just throw them out. But also destroy them physically, so they don't fall into the hands of someone else.
And about losing all the money, inshallah Allah will grant it back to you and double and triple it all, because you left something haram for the sake of Allah.

Daffodil
12-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Asalamualaykum Wr Wb

This isnt a fiqh issue.

Musical instruments are Haram. If you were to sell it or give it to some one else, then you would be facillitating that haram and would be sinning everytime that person used that musical instrument.

Same with if you had some weed and stopped smoking it and sold it on or gave it to some one else, you would still be sinning in that.

Allah swt tells us to forbid the wrong and enjoin the good. Infact its an order, its duty upon the Muslims. Dont think about the money you will gain from selling it, because the rewards for you trashing the instruments and disposing of it so that no one else can use it are far greater then the value for it in the dunya.

It can be hard to throw away such belongings of ours, remember that Allah swt will grant you something greater.

We hate what Allah swt and his rasool saw hate and love what they love.

snakelegs
12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
just for clarification:
muslim sells violin to non-muslim.
non-muslim plays violin concerto.
muslim earns a sin???

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.