/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

wilberhum
11-21-2007, 07:11 PM
To all of you on the West side of the "Big Pond".

Happy Thanksgiving.

(Thanks to PA for the photo)

For the rest of you,
I hope you have lots to be thankfull for.

Peace
Wilber

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-21-2007, 07:44 PM
enjoy your big ole turkey... how do you feel about black friday now with some shops openning on thanksgiving.. every year it gets nuttier and nuttier ey?

Keltoi
11-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well

Whatsthepoint
11-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Happy thanksgiving!

Living turkeys are ugly.:mmokay:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
when do i get my ice cream?

'Abd al-Baari
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
:sl:

Here you go sis :D

ice&#372520cream2520in2520cup -

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
thankyou - that looks like just about the right amount. :happy:

'Abd al-Baari
11-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Your welcome :)
r u sure that its enough though?

InToTheRain
11-21-2007, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
thankyou - that looks like just about the right amount. :happy:
Right ammount for the whole family I assume :D

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I hope you have lots to be thankfull for.
Indeed we do Wilber:

"if you count the favors of God, never would you be able to number them" (14:34).

All the best :)

:peace:

snakelegs
11-21-2007, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
Right ammount for the whole family I assume :D
ummm....not exactly......

here's something i found on another thread that seems suitable:

Recognise and Acknowledge Allaah in times of ease and prosperity, and He will Remember you in times of adversity.

Keltoi
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't know about the rest of you Americans, but to me it is all about turkey, dressing, and pumpkin pie.

Remember...always eat in moderation. :)

Nabooly
11-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Turkey is out of the freezer as of now :D

snakelegs
11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I don't know about the rest of you Americans, but to me it is all about turkey, dressing, and pumpkin pie.

Remember...always eat in moderation. :)
nah, it's the ice cream. and not in moderation, oink oink. :D

Woodrow
11-22-2007, 02:14 AM
We all have much to be Thnkfull for the simple fact that each of us is in a reasonably safe place and able to even discuss this over the Internet is evidence that we have each been blessed with much.

Allaah(swt) has been very giving to all of us. we take so much for granted that often we forget to give proper thanks to Allaah(swt). Let us all use this day to remember to thank He who has blessed us all with so much.

Please listen to this short Du'a

http://alwahy.com/media/action/viewv...anks_To_Allah/

NoName55
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
here comes the fly in the ointment/thread spoiler, call me what you like:

A Muslim's thanksgiving is not a yearly festival but every conscious moment.

any festival that is other than the prescribed ones is an innovation!

Woodrow
11-22-2007, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
here comes the fly in the ointment/thread spoiler, call me what you like:

:sl:Akhi,

That is true. And as every day is Thanksgiving for us, perhaps it is nice that non-Muslims do join us in Thanking Allaah(swt) on at least one day.

But, we should not forget that every day should be Thanksgiving and we should give no less thanks to Allaah(swt) every day.

snakelegs
11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
that applies to not only muslims.

syilla
11-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Can i know the history of Thanksgiving...

My wishes to you let us be thankful and mindful of Allah swt every seconds in our life. InshaAllah.

NoName55
11-22-2007, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:sl:Akhi,

That is true. And as every day is Thanksgiving for us, perhaps it is nice that non-Muslims do join us in Thanking Allaah(swt) on at least one day.

But, we should not forget that every day should be Thanksgiving and we should give no less thanks to Allaah(swt) every day.
Alaikum Salam wa jazaka Allah khairan wa janat al firdaws! (saved me from possible harassment)

NoName55
11-22-2007, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

The History of Thanksgiving

snakelegs
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
here, noname - have some ice cream.

NoName55
11-22-2007, 03:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
here, noname - have some ice cream.
what did I do to merit that?:D

NoName55
11-22-2007, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anon via Rep Message
jazakallah khayr but i don't have any speakers
No problem!

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...1&mini_id=1083

wasalam

edit:

Thanksgiving Day:
2007: Thursday, November 22 (US); Monday, October 8 (Canada)
2008: Thursday, November 27 (US), Monday, October 13 (Canada)

Thanksgiving Day is a legal holiday observed annually in the United States on the fourth Thursday of November. In Canada, Thanksgiving falls on the second Monday in October.
More about Thanksgiving Day

snakelegs
11-22-2007, 03:14 AM
what did I do to merit that?:D
nothing special - just thought i'd cheer you up a bit so you won't be so grouchy. :sunny:
hope coffee ice cream is ok

Woodrow
11-22-2007, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

My wishes to you let us be thankful and mindful of Allah swt every seconds in our life. InshaAllah.
:w:

this goes back to the pilgrim in Plymouth Massachusets. You have to remember that in the Northern USA most food crops have a very short growing season and there is only one harvest of food that has to last for the full year. The first year the pilgims where in the USA they did not prepare and there was a very harsh winter and many perished. The following year they planted and in November they had a huge harvest. In gratitude they shared it with the local Indians and had a huge feast and gave thanks to God(swt). It became an annual tradition to over a day of thanks for the harvest at the end of each harvest season. In the 1930s it became established as the 3 rd Thursday in November, it has since been changed to the fourth Thursday, it did not became a holiday until the 1940s. Canada had it as a National holiday earlier. after becoming a Holiday it became strictly a secular event for families to have time off from work and gather together.

It has no religious significance and is basically a family gathering, but many families do remember it as a day to Thank God(swt) for the gifts he has given and a bountiful harvest of food.

Edit: I may be a little off on dates as it has been a long time since grade school and learned them.

Malaikah
11-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Spot on!:thumbs_up

north_malaysian
11-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans...

Amadeus85
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all Yankees here/

Hashim_507
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
The native americans really didnt get nothing after there help to english colony. Today, all native american territory is uccupied. I have a lot of native american friends, none of them really enjoy this holiday.

snakelegs
11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
The native americans really didnt get nothing after there help to english colony. Today, all native american territory is uccupied. I have a lot of native american friends, none of them really enjoy this holiday.
this is true, though some do. keltoi is native american - maybe he'll comment on this in between turkey festival.

SATalha
11-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey I had tandori turkey once.....tha was nice and chewiiiiii. Have a nice Holiday peeps.

PS The Turkey was HALAL lollllllllllll

Woodrow
11-23-2007, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
My wife was Native American. It was her favorite holiday. However, she did hate what happened to her people, but she had no animosity towards the the people that were born here, no matter what their ancestry was.

People can not be blamed for the evils of their parents.

Oddly only a very small part of the USA was ever an English Colony, the extreme North Eastern Section, often referred to as New England.

Texas was a Mexican State for a long time after Mexico won independence from Spain and at the time it joined the United States it was an independent country. The Majority of the US was Spanish or French Colonies and at war with England.

Keltoi
11-23-2007, 02:10 AM
My wife was Native American. It was her favorite holiday. However, she did hate what happened to her people, but she had no animosity towards the the people that were born here, no matter what their ancestry was.

People can not be blamed for the evils of their parents.

Oddly only a very small part of the USA was ever an English Colony, the extreme North Eastern Section, often referred to as New England.

Texas was a Mexican State for a long time after Mexico won independence from Spain and at the time it joined the United States it was an independent country. The Majority of the US was Spanish or French Colonies and at war with England.
Actually, the southern colonies were also British and part of the original thirteen. Including Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Woodrow
11-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Actually, the southern colonies were also British and part of the original thirteen. Including Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
If it is not part of Texas I tend to forget it is still part of USA history. I just remember about New England States because I lived there until I got smart enough to move to Texas. I hope you understand that is just Texas Humour that has rubbed off on me.

I hate to admit it, but I had forgotten about those Southern states being part of the 13 Colonies.

My wife was originally from North Carolina, a member of the Eastern Cherokee Band. Her Great Grand Mother was on the "Trail of Tears" so she has some distant relatives in the Western band. We found her Great Grandmother's name on the registry at Tahlequah. also found a few of her kin. Sadly she died before we could also get her registered with the Western Band.

Keltoi
11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
If it is not part of Texas I tend to forget it is still part of USA history. I just remember about New England States because I lived there until I got smart enough to move to Texas. I hope you understand that is just Texas Humour that has rubbed off on me.

I hate to admit it, but I had forgotten about those Southern states being part of the 13 Colonies.

My wife was originally from North Carolina, a member of the Eastern Cherokee Band. Her Great Grand Mother was on the "Trail of Tears" so she has some distant relatives in the Western band. We found her Great Grandmother's name on the registry at Tahlequah. also found a few of her kin. Sadly she died before we could also get her registered with the Western Band.
It can be difficult to register with the Cherokee these days, as they have so many registered.

I am an enrolled member of the Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma, but my children will not be because they won't have the 1/4th blood limit.

north_malaysian
11-23-2007, 11:13 PM
It can be difficult to register with the Cherokee these days, as they have so many registered.

I am an enrolled member of the Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma, but my children will not be because they won't have the 1/4th blood limit.
1/4 blood limit? Whoa... it's hard to be a Kiowa....

Keltoi
11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
1/4 blood limit? Whoa... it's hard to be a Kiowa....
Well, they just don't want to make the same mistake as the Cherokee and others who don't have a blood limit, which means you have 10,000 blonde blue eyed "Cherokees" running around. :D

Nabooly
11-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh the turkey was delicious! And the dessert afterwards :o :o :o !!!

Then i got up very early to go shopping. Scored lots of great deals!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.