/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Under what circumstances is a man allowed to marry more than one wife?

*noor
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Under what circumstances is a man allowed to marry more than one wife?
Please provide evidence from the sunnah and quran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
11-21-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/search/

<< one sample result from searching

noorahmad
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
We begin with the Name of Allaah

Question:

Some men marry more than one woman out of pride or in order to compete with one another and due to a genuine need. Is such a thing permissible? And what is your advice to those men and women who object to plurality when there is a need for it?

Answer:

Marrying more than one wife is a desirable thing - on condition that the man has the financial means and the physical ability to act with justice between his wives. This is because through plurality of wives, good is achieved, such as protecting the private parts of the women who he marries (from illegal sexual intercourse) and broadening of unity between the people, and increasing the number of births, as indicated by the Prophet sallallaahu alahi wasallam:

'Marry loving, productive women.' (Abu Dawud 2050, An-Nasaai' 3229, Ibn Hibbaan 4028, & Ahmad 3/158-245)

It also contains many other benefits. As for a man marrying more than one wife out of pride and competitiveness, it is something which falls into the category of waste, which is not permitted. Allaah, the Most High says:

'Waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al-Musrifun (those who waste by extravagance).' (Al-'Araaf 7:31)

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Islamiyah, Darussalam, volume 5, page 355-356

Talha777
11-22-2007, 12:59 AM
A man doesn't need his first wife's approval to marry a second, third or fourth if he wishes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorahmad
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
A man doesn't need his first wife's approval to marry a second, third or fourth if he wishes.
reference please???

Khayal
11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
:sl:
In my opinion, no not under any circumstances(logical thoughts, not based solely on Islam)....:rollseyes:rollseyes

REASON......

First of all, why would anyone want to marry more than one?? what is the reasoning behind this?? IF THEY WANT TO FOLLOW THE SUNNAH OF Rasool ALLAH SAW, ARE THEY FOLLOWING ALL OTHER SUNNAH, or just this one, conveniently??? and will they treat each wife equally as they are supposed to? IF YES...go ahead..... :thumbs_up

IF NOT..

THen THEY FIRST should FOLLOW ALL the OTHER SUNNAH OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD SAW..THeN ASK PERMISION WITH their WIVES.. IF THEY are ALLOWED ...go ahead......

this is what i believe.............:skeleton:

noorahmad
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM
marry more than one so as to increase the Ummah, n if the husband gotta lov another woman, y not marry her or they both gotta probably live in zinaa!!!
being a human being, u won't b able to love each wife equally, but at least u'll have to do every possible effort to look afta them equally.
but maybe u thinkin like that coz u a woman, or maybe im thinkin like that coz im a man!!! dunno!!

NoName55
11-22-2007, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal

THen THEY FIRST should FOLLOW ALL the OTHER SUNNAH OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD SAW.....................:skeleton:

I think it has become common practice to pick and choose.

NoName55
11-22-2007, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorahmad
marry more than one so as to increase the Ummah, n if the husband gotta lov another woman, y not marry her or they both gotta probably live in zinaa!!!
being a human being, u won't b able to love each wife equally, but at least u'll have to do every possible effort to look afta them equally.
but maybe u thinkin like that coz u a woman, or maybe im thinkin like that coz im a man!!! dunno!!
distortion!

Malaikah
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777

If you want to live a very, very miserable life and most likely end up divorced from he first wife, then go ahead. ^o)

Khayal
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

I think it has become common practice to pick and choose.

Yeah, It seems that you are aqalmand, brother... :)

Khayal
11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

If you want to live a very, very miserable life and most likely end up divorced from he first wife, then go ahead. ^o)
Exactly!!.....:happy:

noorahmad
11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
y the hell do u have to refute everyone, uve got a complex of superiority???
i just resume what sheik Munajjid said in the first part of that post, and what i personally believe in the 2nd part!!!
addressed to noname55

NoName55
11-22-2007, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Ahahahaha ;D Good joke ;D. No offence NoName, me ol' chap. :D
2faced and the ignorant people do not bother me at all

I am only replying to let you know that I read it.

noorahmad y the hell do u have to refute everyone, uve got a complex of superiority???
i just resume what sheik Munajjid said in the first part of that post, and what i personally believe in the 2nd part!!!
addressed to noname55
not for superiority but to let unwary know about illiterate wannabe mullahs so that they do not get taken in and be misled

if I had to choose between a line from munnajid or a line from Quraan, guess which I am going to pick (to obey)!

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one." [4:3]

NoName55
11-22-2007, 08:52 PM
No wonder you never self-criticise. :(

I should clarify, btw...that I really did mean the above as a light-hearted joke. :X
It is rather hard for me to believe considering our year long history! (for example you constantly calling me stupid, idiot and more)

Umar001
11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Enough please?

I mean, this thread aint titled 'Behave like co-wives would towards each other'

Brothers please, let's not give sisters ideas.

In all seriousness, if you have problems with others just leave them aside, just like if you have problems with a brother in your blood family you try not to provoke anything and keep it cool.

Let us all love each other like we love the sunnah, right? MashaAllah, notice I didn't wait for you answer, because there's no need for one ;)

Love yall brothers.

Malaikah
11-23-2007, 02:19 AM
:w:Not that I agree with not seeking the approval of the first wife...didn't such things used to happen in the times of the prophet? Did all the companions seek permission of their wives before marrying another?

Correct- however, how do we know it wasn't already the norm in their society that men remarried without asking their first wife? I mean polygamy was very common at the time, perhaps they saw it as something just normal, or they were expecting it, or they had discussed the issue before and the wife already agreed that she wouldn't mind a second wife?

Making statements such as the husband doesn't need to ask, full stop, end of story is a one way ticket to disaster, especially in this day and age were polygamy isn't common and rather than strengthening society- which is one of its aims, it will end up breaking marriage and causing hatred between husband and wife and possibly their families! (not saying it will happen in all cases).

Where is the wisdom in the actions of the Muslims?

noorahmad
11-23-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
but to let unwary know about illiterate wannabe mullahs so that they do not get taken in and be misled
i know its not in the topic, but i believe that all these trivial division should be put aside, and the Ummah should unite.

And i think that even the children would reject their father and her second wife, if the 1st one has not given her permision.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.