/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is wearing Three piece suit allowed in Islam?

Lonely_Boy
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Asslam O Aleakum Members

I have to ask that is wearing three peace suit allowed in Islam or not ........if not then please can anyone give some kind of reference with hadith and also about wearing Tie with the suit .........awaiting for reply

Wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mu'maneen
09-20-2005, 11:28 PM
:sl:

Dear Brother of Islam, sorry for my ignorance, but what is a three piece suit?

If is is a formal dress code for men that does not include any silk, then it is fully Halal. Also a tie is Halal as long as there is no silk within the material.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-20-2005, 11:39 PM

A three-piece suit:

http://www.clarkeanddawe.com/images/Tweedsmi.jpg

Btw i agree with what bro Mu'maneen says.

Henry
09-21-2005, 02:13 AM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Aww shucks, that means I can't dress like Castor Troy :p

(His inner shirt was silk)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
youn9_mu$l!m@h
09-21-2005, 04:35 AM
Salaamz,

Its nothing wrong with wearing three piece suit from what I no of InshaAllah I no you just cant wear silk

Salaamz

aamirsaab
09-21-2005, 08:12 AM
How comes your not allowed to wear silk (no i'm not wearing it at the minute, I'm curious as to why it's forbiden)? As far as three-piece suits are concerned: oh hell yeah am I getting one of those! :) - look out world, the asian gangster is on his way. :p

Ummah
09-21-2005, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
How comes your not allowed to wear silk (no i'm not wearing it at the minute, I'm curious as to why it's forbiden)? As far as three-piece suits are concerned: oh hell yeah am I getting one of those! :) - look out world, the asian gangster is on his way. :p
`Ali reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took some silk in his right hand and some gold in his left, declaring, "These two are haram for the males among my followers." (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, Ibn Hayyan, and Ibn Majah, who reports the additional phrase, "but halal for the females.") `Umar reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, "Do not wear silk, for those who wear it in this life shall not wear it in the Hereafter." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim) On another occasion, referring to a silken garment, he said, "This is the dress of a man who has no character.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

`Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I saw Messenger of Allah (PBUH) holding a piece of gold in his left hand and a silk (cloth) in his right hand. Then he said, "These two are forbidden for the males of my Ummah.''
[Abu Dawud].

Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Wearing of silk and gold has been made unlawful for males and lawful for the females of my Ummah.''
[At-Tirmidhi].

Hudhaifah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) prohibited us from eating or drinking in gold or silver utensils and from wearing silk and brocade, or sitting on (anything made from) them.
[Al-Bukhari].

Ma'salaama

Muhammad
09-21-2005, 10:53 PM

Question :

I would like to know why men aren't allowed to wear silk, but in paradise they will?
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly: It should be known that Allaah, may He be exalted and glorified, is Wise in His commands and prohibitions. He does not command anything except that which is in people’s best interests and He does not forbid anything except that which is harmful. People may or may not come to understand the reasons behind these commands and prohibitions, although Allaah has His Wisdom in any given issue. Having said that, it is still not right to make following a command or prohibition dependent upon knowing the wisdom behind it; rather we should hasten to carry out the commands of sharee’ah, regardless of whether the wisdom behind it is clear to us or not. If it is clear, then praise be to Allaah, and if it is not, then the Muslim should not let the fact that he does not know it prevent him from acting in accordance with the ruling of sharee’ah. This is true submission to the command of Allaah, and Islam means submission to Allaah, may He be exalted, and obeying Him. If a person makes his actions dependent on understanding matters which may or may not convince him, he is in effect following his own thoughts and desires, not his Lord and Master.

The above does not mean that it is not important to look for the wisdom behind the rules of sharee’ah, or that doing so is forbidden, but we should not make knowing the reasons a condition for acting upon the ruling.

Secondly: there is no connection between things that are prohibited in this world and those that are allowed in the Hereafter. It is not correct to think of the Hereafter as being like this world; each realm has its own rules and laws. It is not correct to suggest that something is permitted in this world on the basis that it is permitted in Paradise or in the Hereafter, otherwise we would end up allowing things that we know from the basics of Islam are forbidden, such as drinking wine, taking more than four wives, singing etc. On this basis, the confusion reflected in the question about silk being forbidden in this world although it is permitted in Paradise should be cleared up.

Thirdly: The scholars have discussed the reasons for silk being forbidden for men in this world. For example, al-‘Allaamah Ibn al-Qayyim suggested in his brilliant work Zaad al-Ma’aad that

“Among those who believe that there is reason and wisdom (behind the rulings of Islam) – and they are the majority – are some who answer that Islam has forbidden it so that people will keep away from it and give it up for the sake of Allaah, so they will be rewarded for that. Others reply that it was basically created for women, as is the case with gold jewellery, so it was forbidden for men because it can corrupt them by making them resemble women. Some of them said that it was forbidden because of what it may lead to in the way of pride, showing off and self-admiration. Some of them said that it was forbidden because when it touches the body, it makes a man effeminate and goes against his masculinity and manliness, so if he wears it his heart gains the characteristics of femininity and softness, as is obvious, even if he was the most masculine and chivalrous of men. There is no doubt that wearing silk will diminish these manly characteristics, if not take them away altogether. Whoever is too dense to understand this should just submit to the Wise Lawmaker.”

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 4/80). And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
:w:

Muhammad
09-21-2005, 10:55 PM

I thought this question was quite interesting:

Question :
Is wearing jeans considered imitating the kuffar or is it ok?
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Imitating means trying to be like someone, which the fuqahaa' understand to mean being similar in a certain way to the person whom one is imitating. The Muslim is not permitted to imitate the kuffaar by wearing clothing that is unique to them and for which they are known, like the belt worn by Christian monks, or the distinctive headgear of Magians (Zoroastrians) and Jews, because of the hadeeth of the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." (Reported by Abu Dawood, 4/314).
The scholars have specified that the prohibition of imitation applies in two cases:

1. Where what is imitated is clothing that is characteristic of the kuffaar, not things that are worn by others too or things that used to be distinct to them but have now become widespread among other groups too - like the jeans referred to in the question.

2. When the act of imitation happens at a time when the clothing in question is characteristic of the kuffaar. This is because al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) saw some people wearing shawl-like garments over their heads and shoulders, and said, "They look like the Jews of Khaybar." Ibn Hajar commented: "This could be used as evidence that this kind of garment was characteristic of the Jews at that time, but this is no longer the case, so that garment is now counted as something that is in general permitted." (Fath al-Baari, 10/275).

The scholars also made an exception concerning Muslims wearing the distinctive clothes of the kuffaar when living in daar al-harb (non-Muslim countries which are at war with Muslims) or for purposes which will benefit the Muslims. Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
"When a Muslim is living in a non-Muslim land (whether or not it is hostile to Islam), he is not expected to differ from them (the kuffaar) in his outward appearance, because of the harm that may result (from dressing as a Muslim). It is preferable, even obligatory, for a man to look like them sometimes, if that will achieve some religious purpose such as calling them to Islam, finding out their secrets in order to tell the Muslims about them, repelling their harm from the Muslims, and other worthwhile aims. But in the Muslim lands where Allaah has caused His religion to prevail, and where the kuffaar are in an inferior position and are paying jizyah (taxes paid by non-Muslims living under an Islamic government), it is obligatory for Muslims to look different from the kuffaar." (Iqtidaa' al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, 1/418).

It is clear from the above that jeans are not clothes that are characteristic of the kuffaar or worn only by them, so they are not haraam. However, it is more befitting for the Muslim to try to wear distinctive Islamic dress wherever he is, in obedience to the way of the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Muslim should feel in his heart that he hates the kuffaar and the way they look and behave. This hatred will motivate him to avoid looking like them at all in the way he dresses or in other ways. Do you not see that a person who despises a people or tribe, or people from a certain country, will hate to dress like them, especially if they are poor. As Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) said: "Looking like them in external appearance indicates that one loves them in one's heart, and vice versa." And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

:w:

Lonely_Boy
09-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Well I agree with u people that there is no harm if u won't wear silk but what about Sunnah if we wear 3 piece Suit aren't we left sunnah i meando Tie is the part of sunnah or the people who wear 3 peice Suit do they wear pants above ankles......and if tie is allow in Islam then why people hide there tie during prayer

akulion
09-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Salam Alaikum
We must realize that in order to draw any conclusions it is important to look at:
Why a thing is allowed or not allowed.

In case of clothing the restrictions which apply are:

1. Clothing must cover from the navel up to the knees
Reason: These parts are deemed as private parts for a man the exposure of which would be seen as indecent thus this restriction.

2. The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.
Reason: If the cloth was transparent then the parts mentioned in point 1 would also show thus this restriction.

3. The clothing must hang loose so that the shape / form of the body is not apparent.
Reason: Once again this is linked to points 1 & 2 for obivious reason.

4. The male clothing must not resemble the female's clothing.
Reason: Homosexuality and cross dressing is forbidden in Islam since it is a vile and useless act which holds no positive influences or purposes.

5. The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non believing men.
Reason: This applies to religious uniforms and uniforms of armies of non believeing men and of their institutes. The restriction was placed so that believers will not be mistaken for romans or one of the other religion's followers. Muslims should preserve their identy in their own unique style.

6. Silk, and gold cannot be worn by Muslim men, however a very small amount of silk may be used for embroidery.
Reason: Silk and gold represent extravagance and can lead to greed in humans. Thus men are forbidden from their usage since wars are mostly caused by greed.

7. Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.
Reason: Muslims are commanded to be humble, and to do otherwise would earn the displeasure of Allah.

Thus if 3 piece suits are not in contradiction with any of the above mentioned reasons then they would be permissible.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.