/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it permitted to eat this food in Islam?

omar_2133
11-24-2007, 03:13 PM
One of the snacks that I usually eat is McCoys Crisps, and I've recently bought multipacks which happen to contain bacon-flavoured crisps. I've consulted a few people and they've said that the crisps don't actually contain bacon or pork, but are just flavoured like that.

I don't know if this is correct or not, and could someone please clarify?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...tml#post846662

Woodrow
11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by omar_2133
One of the snacks that I usually eat is McCoys Crisps, and I've recently bought multipacks which happen to contain bacon-flavoured crisps. I've consulted a few people and they've said that the crisps don't actually contain bacon or pork, but are just flavoured like that.

I don't know if this is correct or not, and could someone please clarify?
there are some differences of opinion about this. some say that because it is a temptation to imitate non-Muslims they are haram.

Personally I think the big problem is the name. The term bacon flavor seems to be a bit misleading many smoked foods both halal and haram ones taste like bacon. I think all problems could have been eliminated if the company had simply called them smoke flavored.

Bacon flavor is a very vague term anyhow. There is no one flavor that can be defined as a universal bacon flavor as bacon comes in many varieties such as maple cured, brown sugar cured, salt cured and then you have, hickory smoked, oak smoked, maple smoked, mesquite smoked. all distinctly different but each called bacon flavor. However, the hickory or oak smoked flavor is often what is meant when the term bacon flavored is used. this same flavor can be found natural in many beans. I find Dahl to have a strong bacon flavor although it contains neither smoke nor pork and is pure vegetable. Hummus also reminds many people of bacon flavor.

'Abd al-Baari
11-24-2007, 03:51 PM
:sl:

Check this,
http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/in...uestion&id=188

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
11-24-2007, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>
Note it says please avoid, not that it contains any haram ingredient. I find that to be sound advice as it is an appeal to find a loop hole to get the full flavor of a haram product.

I wonder how much sales appeal it would have if they called it smoke, or Hummus flavored instead of Bacon Flavor? Sadly it seems it is the word bacon that is giving it sales appeal to Muslims, who are looking for a loop hole to taste the forbidden.

the word is not haram, the ingrediants are not haram, but the reason for eating them could easily be haram.

NoName55
11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>
:w:

once, I visited a bakery, which supplied to halal shops. people think bread has halal ingredients i.e water, flour and raising agent while forgetting that baking tins and trays were greased by spray of melted lard.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.