PDA

View Full Version : Martyrdom

wilberhum
11-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I just saw this on:
http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/men...2395181108.htm
Two pilots of Iranian jet fighter martyred
Iran-Plane-Crash
Pilot and co-pilot of Iranian F-4 Phantom which crashed on Monday in the waters off Chahbahar Bay in the Gulf of Oman attained martyrdom.

According to the Army Public Relations Department, the jet fighter crashed at 12:45 p.m.local time (09:15 GMT) while maneuvering near the provincial city of Konarak on Monday
Now the dictionary defines martyr as:
. somebody put to death: somebody who chooses to die rather than deny a strongly held belief, especially a religious belief
Any more it just seams to me that Muslims want to call everyone who dies a martyr. If someone is going to get some Ice Cream and gets killed they are a Martyr?
I just don't get it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
12-02-2007, 10:54 PM
:sl:
Hmm, the article doesn't reveal much.

Martydom is something very serious in Islam but like Jihad people (muslim and non) like to use the term freely. Shame really.

wilberhum
12-02-2007, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
Hmm, the article doesn't reveal much.

Martydom is something very serious in Islam but like Jihad people (muslim and non) like to use the term freely. Shame really.
I too think it is something very serious. Many seam to use the term any time anyone is killed. How do you define a Martyr?

jzcasejz
12-03-2007, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Any more it just seams to me that Muslims want to call everyone who dies a martyr.
This article here will be an interesting read for this thread. Hope it clears alot of stuff up: http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...o-shaheed.html

to me that Muslims want to call everyone who dies a martyr.
^ Even though this is undeniably true in alot of recent cases, please do not mix things up and think that this is supposed to be a common practice amongst Muslims. The most we can do is hope for a person to be a martyr and not just say "Oh he's definitely a martyr" - as is the case with the article you posted.

Peace...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
12-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I too think it is something very serious. Many seam to use the term any time anyone is killed. How do you define a Martyr?
I can't find the hadith for it, however there are many different ways a Muslim can be maryred. The most obvious is to fight and die in a legitimate war. But it includes other things such as being killed while defending yourself or others in a non-war situation. Even drowning is martydom. There are a few others but I really can't remember them at the moment.

islamirama
12-03-2007, 03:13 AM
In Islam, martyrdom is one of the great ambitions of a true believer. This is because dying as a martyr entails abundant rewards designated for such persons in the Hereafter. `Abdullah Ibn `Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying, "Martyrs are forgiven their sins, except debts”. The phrase “except debts” also relates implicitly to usurpation of people’s rights, unjustified killing, and so on.

It suffices here to quote the Divine Promise for martyrs as stated in the following Qur’anic verses: (Think not of those, who are slain in the way of Allah, as dead. Nay, they are living. With their Lord they have provision. Jubilant (are they) because of that which Allah hath bestowed upon them of His bounty, rejoicing for the sake of those who have not joined them but are left behind: that there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve. They rejoice because of favor from Allah and kindness, and that Allah wasteth not the wage of the believers.) (Aal-`Imran 3: 169-71)

In his response to the question in point, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

There are basically two broad categories of martyrs (shuhada’) in Islam, firstly, those who have died fighting for the cause of Allah (i.e., in jihad), and secondly, those who have died being succumbed to certain types of ailments or calamities, not of their own making. The second group, although not recognized and treated as martyrs in this world, will receive rewards of martyrs in the Hereafter. As for a list of people of this category, we find a number of traditions—although not contradictory—such as the following:

1) In a report jointly reported by Imam al-Bukhari and Muslim, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned five types of martyrs: “One who dies in a plague, one who dies of intestinal ailments, one who dies of drowning, one who dies under a collapsed building, and one who dies as a martyr in jihad.”

2) Imam Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa’i, and others stated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “There are seven martyrs”. Having said this, he added the following to the list mentioned above: “…one who dies in a fire” and “…a woman who dies during child-birth.”

3) A third report states that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever dies while defending his own possessions is a martyr; whoever dies defending his own person is a martyr; whoever dies guarding his own faith is a martyr; whoever dies fighting in order to defend his own family is also a martyr.”

4) Finally, in a report by an-Nasa’i, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever fights to protect his rights and dies in the process is a martyr.”

Imam Ibn Hajar states, “we can conclude from these traditions that martyrs are of two types: Those who are recognized as martyrs in this world, and those who are recognized as martyrs only in the Hereafter. A martyr recognized in this world is one who has died fighting in the cause of Allah without having retreated from the battle. But those who are recognized only in the Hereafter are those upon whom the laws of martyrdom are not applicable in this world, although they merit rewards of martyrdom.”

According to Imam an-Nawawi, “The second category of martyrs will receive rewards of martyrdom, and yet unlike the martyrs of jihad, they will be bathed (before burial) and prayed over.”

From the above discussion, however, one is advised not to jump to the conclusion that everyone who dies in similar circumstances as mentioned above will automatically merit rewards of martyrdom. Such an inference is not valid, since Allah’s acceptance of a person ultimately depends on his or her state of faith or iman as well as upon the way he or she has responded to the will of Allah at the time of death. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A person is raised up in the Hereafter in the state he has passed away.”

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
In Islam, martyrdom is one of the great ambitions of a true believer. .......
I know. That's one of the things I have never understood about religion.

The desire to be killed. Amazing.

I find it hard to believe that god wants us to be killed.

Why give us like if he just wants us to be killed?

Why does god need us to defend him?

I guess logic just doesn't make any sense. :-\

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I can't find the hadith for it, however there are many different ways a Muslim can be maryred. The most obvious is to fight and die in a legitimate war. But it includes other things such as being killed while defending yourself or others in a non-war situation. Even drowning is martydom. There are a few others but I really can't remember them at the moment.
Even drowning is martydom? If i go for a swim, get cramps and drown, I'm a Martyr?

Muslim Knight
12-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Even drowning is martydom? If i go for a swim, get cramps and drown, I'm a Martyr?
For suicide you go straight to hell. For stupidity I don't know lols.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
For suicide you go straight to hell. For stupidity I don't know lols.
Thanks for that one. I needed a good laugh. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

جوري
12-03-2007, 05:23 AM
isn't it amazing, how anything that causes the believer suffering through no will of his own (suicide) is a door to heaven?
“The affair of the believer is wonderful! All affairs of his are good and that is for none except the believer. If he is blessed with prosperity he thanks (Allaah) and that is good for him. And when he is afflicted with an adversity he perseveres and that is also good for him.” (Muslim).

It is an amazing thing indeed to hand your affairs to God...
on the last day of Ramadan I was very ill... right after I made fajr prayer, I got very sick and didn't know how I was going to manage the day.. unfortunately I don't believe much in miracles in the 'super natural' sense as I tend to think all that we are already given speaks for itself.. so I went to recline, I can feel on the very of retching, all the acid just erroding me, plus a horrible migraine that I just wished I could go back in time and take something, as it so happened, I asked God to make the day easy for me, just over and over, I said pls let me complete this last day, make this day easy for me and pls forgive me if I have to break my fast to take some meds....then I felt so drowsy and drifted off.. woke up feeling better than ever.. there I was about to not complete the day and voila... and it really was nothing short of a miracle, as I get migraines that send me to the ER on occasion with partial loss of vision...
Anyhow moral of the story, is everything that causes you any minor injury expiates you and uplifts you and very much humanizes you should you make it through it, and if you don't then you get the ultimate prize martyrdom... I don't see how it can be a bad thing being a Muslim.. if you are happy and thankful you are blessed if you are miserable and patient you are blessed... and people wonder if Allah is merciful....^o)

peace!

جوري
12-03-2007, 05:28 AM
oh by the way, you should read this... Never forget that God knows your intention
Suicide is not a new phenomenon. Al-Bukhaaree reported in his Saheeh on the authority of Sahl Ibn Sa‘d As-Saa‘idee ra that: The Prophet saws looked at a man who was fighting the unbelievers and he was of the wealthy Muslims who are in the least in need of idolators. The Prophet saws said: ‘Who ever wishes to know a man among the dwellers of Hell-fire should look at this man.’ So, a man followed him. The man kept on fighting until he was injured. He could not wait to die of that wound so he took the tip of his sword, put it in between his breasts and press his body against it until it pierced through his shoulders. Then, the Prophet saws said: “A man may be doing what people might perceive as a deed of people of Paradise while he is indeed, among the dwellers of Hell. And he may be doing what will seem in people’s perception a deed of dwellers of Hell, while in actual sense, he is among the dwellers of Paradise. Verily, all deeds are judged according to its ending.”
from here

NoName55
12-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I know. That's one of the things I have never understood about religion.

The desire to be killed. Amazing.

I find it hard to believe that god wants us to be killed.

Why give us like if he just wants us to be killed?

Why does god need us to defend him?

I guess logic just doesn't make any sense. :-\
that is a deliberate distortion if i ever saw one.

I did not see any such rubbish in the post you quoted from. all it meant was that had one a choice between dying like a sewer rat and dying during a good deed, one should not choose to die like a rat.

".... none of you should wish for death, for if he is a good doer, he may increase his good deeds, and if he is an evil doer, he may repent to Allah."

Sahi Bukhari Volume 007, Book 070, Hadith Number 577.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
that is a deliberate distortion if i ever saw one.

I did not see any such rubbish in the post you quoted from. all it meant was that had one a choice between dying like a sewer rat and dying during a good deed, one should not choose to die like a rat.

".... none of you should wish for death, for if he is a good doer, he may increase his good deeds, and if he is an evil doer, he may repent to Allah."

I was having some nice PM's with someone. In one PM the told me what a beautiful religion Islam is. Later the told me he wanted to be a Martyr.
Not the first time I have heard such statements.

I don't see how rats got into, but I guess you understand.

But [MAD]Back on topic.[/MAD]

Are the Pilots martyrs?

NoName55
12-03-2007, 06:02 AM
I was having some nice PM's with someone. In one PM the told me what a beautiful religion Islam is. Later the told me he wanted to be a Martyr.
Not the first time I have heard such statements.

But [mad]Back on topic.[/mad]

Are the Pilots martyrs?
how on earth you expect us to explain Shiite concept of martyrdom to you? why not go and ask one of them?
indeed I do. for example If you came to my house with intent to rob and murder, It would be my duty to wring your neck before you can complete your task but if I let you do what you came to do, I died like a rat but if during my attempt to snap your robbing neck you kill me I'll hope to be granted status of a martyr.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 06:17 AM
how on earth you expect us to explain Shiite concept of martyrdom to you? why not go and ask one of them?
indeed I do. for example If you came to my house with intent to rob and murder, It would be my duty to wring your neck before you can complete your task but if I let you do what you came to do, I died like a rat but if during my attempt to snap your robbing neck you kill me I'll hope to be granted status of a martyr.
I don't even know what country you live in.

Boy, no end to examples I don't understand.

But can I ask again?

Are the Pilots martyrs?

Really now, that's a simple yes or no answer.

جوري
12-03-2007, 06:19 AM
I couldn't help myself

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Well with an answer like that I have to go to bed.

------
12-03-2007, 09:43 AM
edit

Keltoi
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Christian martyrdom was more along the traditional definition of the word. To die rather than to repent one's faith. There were some radical Christians during the Roman Empire period who actively sought out crucifixion and death because they believed martyrdom to be the ultimate act of faith.

During the Council of Nicea, there were a large group of "Confessors" who were invited, people who had been tortured, blinded, disfigured, etc for not repenting their faith.

So martrydom is a universal concept in religion. The difference is what "rewards" are promised for doing so. As far as I know, martyrdom is not considered to be a one way ticket to Heaven in the Christian faith. Actually, I know that it isn't. From the Christian standpoint, it is easier to die than to live. It is the goal of a Christian to live and praise God, no matter what life throws at you.

NoName55
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Christian martyrdom was more along the traditional definition of the word. To die rather than to repent one's faith. There were some radical Christians during the Roman Empire period who actively sought out crucifixion and death because they believed martyrdom to be the ultimate act of faith.

During the Council of Nicea, there were a large group of "Confessors" who were invited, people who had been tortured, blinded, disfigured, etc for not repenting their faith.

So martrydom is a universal concept in religion. The difference is what "rewards" are promised for doing so. As far as I know, martyrdom is not considered to be a one way ticket to Heaven in the Christian faith. Actually, I know that it isn't. From the Christian standpoint, it is easier to die than to live. It is the goal of a Christian to live and praise God, no matter what life throws at you.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
This thing as really went south.
That is not what I intended at all.

I wasn’t trying to get into the world of the suicide bomber or any of that.

The article I quoted, as short as it was, was all of it.

The Pilots were assumedly just flying around doing there job. The paper called them Martyrs.

Simple question. Do you think they are Martyrs?
Yes or no are valid answers.
Long quotes that don’t contain yes or no are not valid answers.

Another question. A child is walking down the street. On his way to a store. He gets hit by a stray bullet.
Do you think he is a Marty?
Again, Yes or no are valid answers. Long quotes that don’t contain yes or no are not valid answers.

Yes or no answers would be appreciated.

islamirama
12-03-2007, 06:41 PM
This thing as really went south.
That is not what I intended at all.

I wasn’t trying to get into the world of the suicide bomber or any of that.

The article I quoted, as short as it was, was all of it.

The Pilots were assumedly just flying around doing there job. The paper called them Martyrs.

Simple question. Do you think they are Martyrs?
Yes or no are valid answers.
Long quotes that don’t contain yes or no are not valid answers.

Another question. A child is walking down the street. On his way to a store. He gets hit by a stray bullet.
Do you think he is a Marty?
Again, Yes or no are valid answers. Long quotes that don’t contain yes or no are not valid answers.

Yes or no answers would be appreciated.
It does not matter what we think. If they were patrolling around for the safety of the nation and crashed in the process, then we can say Inshallah (God willing) may they be among the matyrs. But at end of the Day, it is really Allah who decides whom to accept as a matyr and whom not to.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
It does not matter what we think. If they were patrolling around for the safety of the nation and crashed in the process, then we can say Inshallah (God willing) may they be among the matyrs. But at end of the Day, it is really Allah who decides whom to accept as a matyr and whom not to.
I figured you would be the frist to post and of course you did not answer.

I guess you only answer "Why I hate my country" questions.

Jayda
12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I just saw this on:
http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/men...2395181108.htm
Two pilots of Iranian jet fighter martyred

Now the dictionary defines martyr as:

Any more it just seams to me that Muslims want to call everyone who dies a martyr. If someone is going to get some Ice Cream and gets killed they are a Martyr?
I just don't get it.
hola,

i think it would be better if islamic words simply remained as they are rather than trying to equate them with purely christian concepts. so shaheed instead of the Christian word 'martyr' otherwise it confuses people and implies things that are not true.

que Dios te bendiga

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
hola,

i think it would be better if islamic words simply remained as they are rather than trying to equate them with purely christian concepts. so shaheed instead of the Christian word 'martyr' otherwise it confuses people and implies things that are not true.

que Dios te bendiga
So is that a yes or a no? Or didn't you understand my request or did you chose to ignore it?

Jayda
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
So is that a yes or a no? Or didn't you understand my request of did you chose to ignore it?
hola

i didn't understand your request... i thought it was just a rhetorical question to discuss what the idea means in islam. as far as i can discern i am just as confused as you... i just know it doesn't really correlate to the christian concept and would prefer that in common parlance the ideas were separated.

que Dios te bendiga

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
hola

i didn't understand your request... i thought it was just a rhetorical question to discuss what the idea means in islam. as far as i can discern i am just as confused as you... i just know it doesn't really correlate to the christian concept and would prefer that in common parlance the ideas were separated.

que Dios te bendiga
Again.
So is that a yes or a no? Or didn't you understand my request or did you chose to ignore it?

Jayda
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
hola

que Dios te bendiga
Again.
Pay attention.

Woodrow
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
to try to answer this in a simple yes or no. In accordance with the English definition of Martyr, the answer is no.

They may be shaheeds, but only Allaah(swt) knows for certain. Shaheed is often translated into the English word martyr, but it is not a full or true translation as the concept of Shaheed carries additional qualities that are not found in the word Martyr.

Jayda
12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
to try to answer this in a simple yes or no. In accordance with the English definition of Martyr, the answer is no.

They may be shaheeds, but only Allaah(swt) knows for certain. Shaheed is often translated into the English word martyr, but it is not a full or true translation as the concept of Shaheed carries additional qualities that are not found in the word Martyr.

and vice versa... which is what concerns me

جوري
12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I figured you would be the frist to post and of course you did not answer.
peace--

you couldn't possibly expect an answer to a Q of that nature.. even the most pious people don't know where they are going... we can only state what we know based on info we are given... i.e to die battling, 'battling cancer, battling the waves, battling an enemy is to die 'martyred'-- deeds and intent lie with God..we don't know who went out to the ocean to find the golden pearl and died while on a greedy acquisition..who died battling cancer but in reality brought it upon his or herself out of 35 yrs of smoking and ending up with small cell ca. who went out to battle but only to seek glory..if that were the case we'd be funneling people to heaven or hell exalting some to saints and ****ing others, but it isn't up to us and--- Thank God for that as we tend to be faultfinding creatures aren't we?

cheers!

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
PA
you couldn't possibly expect an answer to a Q of that nature
Oh, but I can and Woodrow answered.

Thank you Woodrow.

Woodrow
12-04-2007, 06:20 PM
and vice versa... which is what concerns me
Hola Senora,

The extra qualities I speak of are a bit intangible, what it means is that a person who dies for the love of Allaah(swt) could be a Shaheed. There are some specific examples given in the various hadith, such as a pious person drowning etc. The word Martyr would not define that person a martyr, but in Arabic the person could be a Shaheed.

Martyr quite often does = Shaheed, but the words are not fully interchangeable. There are people who would meet the definition of martyr, but they would not be shaheeds and some people may meet the Arabic concept of Shaheed but would not meet the definition for martyr.

So the confusion is the 2 words are similar, but not interchangeable under all conditions.

Jayda
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Hola Senora,

The extra qualities I speak of are a bit intangible, what it means is that a person who dies for the love of Allaah(swt) could be a Shaheed. There are some specific examples given in the various hadith, such as a pious person drowning etc. The word Martyr would not define that person a martyr, but in Arabic the person could be a Shaheed.

Martyr quite often does = Shaheed, but the words are not fully interchangeable. There are people who would meet the definition of martyr, but they would not be shaheeds and some people may meet the Arabic concept of Shaheed but would not meet the definition for martyr.

So the confusion is the 2 words are similar, but not interchangeable under all conditions.

hola,

si i agree there is overlap. but the activities and ultimate significance of a shaheed are often dramatically different from the Christian martyr. there are martyr soldiers, for instance, but they are not regarded as holy for having fought. that war component very often means they have broken from the way Christ intended. i do not know if you have seen the movie "the Mission" but it is the difference between jeremy irons character and robert de niros.

furthermore, there are issues regarding miracles, intercession and the conditions of martyrdom at the time which are significantly tied to sainthood, a facet that islam does not have. there might be some overlap, but these concepts are not the same by any stretch of the imagination... it is harmful to equate them.

que Dios te bendiga

Grace Seeker
12-04-2007, 08:48 PM

The word marytr in English has come to mean someone who dies for a cause. But the English origins of the word are taken from the context of the persecutions of early Christians by Roman authorities. During a time when being a Christian was understoond by Roman authorities as being synonymous with being an atheist (because Christians did NOT believe in the Roman gods), and such activity was outlawed, Christians were often arrested and put on trial for this crime. Some denied that they were Christians and were set free. Roman law kept people from being put to death without the testimony of witnesses and so simply by being silent many Christians avoided death unless some third party could be brought forward to testify against them. Other Christians, however, actually bore witness against themselves, testifying that they were Christians in open court knowing that the penalty would be death.

Most of these trials did not actually take place in Rome, but in the Greek-speaking portions of the Roman Empire. The term martyr comes from the Greek word "μάρτυς" (martus), meaning "witness" -- one who testifies to a fact of which he has knowledge from personal observation.

In the context of that time, the term martus came to be used in the sense of a witness who at any time might be called upon to deny what he testified to, under penalty of death. From this stage the transition was easy to the meaning of the term, as used ever since of a martyr as a person who is so firmly convinced of the truths of his position (in present times it can be any cause, though historically it was exclusive to the Christian faith) that he gladly suffers death rather than deny it.

But from Wikipedia, I add this:
Usage of "martyr" is also not uncommon among Arab Christians (i.e. anyone killed in relation to Christianity or a Christian community, e.g. Pierre Amine Gemayel), indicating that the English word "martyr" may not actually be a proper equivalent of its commonly ascribed Arabic translation.
So, given this, one might understand how in an Arabic speaking-culture, where the English word "martyr" may not actually be equivalent to Arabic thought, even in the Christian community, that in translating out of Arabic into English any Muslim who dies in relation to Islam or the Islamic community might be described as a "martyr" by simply using the same common term.

Isn't language grand!!

al-muslimah
12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
How can they be shuhada it depends on their intention.All shia in Iran say anyone who dies there is a shaheed. I can understand someone from ahlul sunnah saying this but a rafidhi. If they do die as an innovator and as people who curse the sahaba how are they shuhada(martyrs)?Someone who dies in jihad fe sabilillah is a shaheed and there are also other types like a muslim who drowns, burns, a woman who dies in childbirth, someone with a skin disease(lukimia,leprosy), someone who dies in a plague like many of the sahaba such as Abu Ubaidah bin Jarrah and Muadh bin Jabal but first of all they have to be from ahlul sunnah, with sound aqeeda, and not an innovator.

Resigned
12-11-2007, 01:54 AM
That's really a great question.

Perception is everything, of course, but I've always understood martyrdom to be based on dying for "the cause" at the hands of others...not the self-inflicted variety.

There's all sorts of honor accorded those who willingly lay down their lives in defense of (insert cause here)...the ultimate sacrifice.

I'd guess that's the mainstream opinion as well, at least in western societies, where I was raised and now live.

The idea of being or not being afraid to die is an interesting one I think. Nature has preprogrammed successful animals with a desire to survive, and once you add our ability to have a sentient perception of death, you have a formula for a more deep seated fear (at least, one that can be expressed by doing something more than just fleeing, like all other animals do).

Suicide on the other hand, is taught to be the "coward's way out" and, from the theists' points of view, the usurpation of god's role in taking something that isn't really "yours". To commit suicide in a fashion that also takes the lives of other innocents is, of course, abhorrent to all societies...except fundamentalist jihadis.

While they certainly didn't invent suicide bombing as a tactic, jihadis are the ones saying these heinous crimes are legitimate, even honorable and praiseworthy, simply because they have changed the definition of mass murder/suicide to martyrdom.

We all fear death yes, since no one knows what lies beyond that event...if anything. (Truth be known, I'll bet every fetus is scared xxxxless at the idea of birth, for the same reasons). Most likely death is simply "nothing", but that is as peaceful an eternity as any promised by religion.

barney
12-14-2007, 04:34 AM
As for the OP, i think the Phantom jockey was deemed a Shaheed because he was engaged in defending his country...even if he wasnt on active service, warfighting.

It reminds me, although its totally different, of the UK press who will call any Soldier that dies, a "hero".
They may have fallen out of a lorry delivering sandwiches to Whitby, but they are "Hero's".
The Hero is the soldier who dies or is wounded, fighting for his country, or protecting his freind and doing some act of exceptional bravery.
For example. The crew of a Nimrod AWACS died after a fuel pipe burst mid-air.
They hadnt taken enemy fire, they didnt steer the plane away from a urban area. They just died.
now i know it's tragic, and yeah they were on active service, but to call everyone in uniform a Hero belittles those who do real courageous acts, such as defusing a bomb in a kosovan school, or evacuating muslim women and kids under serbian gunfire whilst not being able to reply.

Thats my 2 pence.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.