/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dealing with friends, the real deal?

khadija_007
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
:sl:
I am a practising muslim and I have friends who even though they are Muslim, they do not practise. Over the past few weeks they have been going out to birthday parties etc and since I started practising i stopped doing those things, Alhamdulillah.
The thing is they dont seem to understand where I am coming from and this worries me,:hmm:I know they are my friends and I have known them for a long time but I dont feel comfortable hanging around with them anyomore.
Furthermore one of my muslim friends told me a few months bak that she wanted to start wearing the hijab but when I talk to her about it she avoids it, now i'm not sure whether she is serious

Can anyone out there help me or give me any advice on how to go about dealing with my friends.. I would be really grateful:sunny:

until next time peace out :w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Noor 13
11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Alhamdullilah you found your way back to our wonderful deen. You are on the right path. As for your friends-if they don't understand you even though they are Muslims I would rethink if this friendship is really worth keeping it.
You will always find people around you who are not comfortable with a person who takes the religion serious.
InshAllah you will be able to find friends who are strong in our deen. I think that would make things easier for you.
Pray to Allah to make it easy for you to find the right people around you

~Taalibah~
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khadija_007
I am a practising muslim and I have friends who even though they are Muslim, they do not practise. Over the past few weeks they have been going out to birthday parties etc and since I started practicing i stopped doing those things, Alhamdulillah.
The thing is they dont seem to understand where I am coming from and this worries me,:hmm:I know they are my friends and I have known them for a long time but I dont feel comfortable hanging around with them anymore.
Furthermore one of my muslim friends told me a few months bak that she wanted to start wearing the hijab but when I talk to her about it she avoids it, now i'm not sure whether she is serious

Can anyone out there help me or give me any advice on how to go about dealing with my friends.. I would be really grateful:sunny:

until next time peace out :w:
Masha'Allah, it so nice that you are practicing the Deen!
I would think that if your friends dont understand you and are responsible for your going to bday parties etc you should rather keep away from as they can be more harmful to you. Have you tried explaining to them about practicing Islam?
:w:

------
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
:salamext:

Mashaa Allaah sister, it is really good to hear that you are a practicing Muslim. This is concept is not very common with youngsters nowadays, I’m sad to say.

As for your friends, maybe you could try and show them the beauty of Islam, the beauty of the Jannah, which they will be gain if they become practicing. Induce love of the Aakhirah in their hearts, show them the punishments for doing certain things, the reward they gain for doing other things.

You could maybe go out to some Islamic lectures in your area, or have a weekly/fortnight(2 weeks) group where you listen to Islamic lectures together, and then discuss the lecture at the end with your friends.

This site is good for lectures: Kalamullah

Lastly, you could pick out a time and place where you and your friends can discuss certain aspects of Islam, by reading Hadiths and verses of the Qur’an, and reflecting upon the meaning of them Inshaa Allaah.

Here are some good sites;

Hadiths in English

Tafseer of the Qur’an in English

I hope your friends become practicing Inshaa Allaah. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ashley66
12-10-2007, 05:12 AM
MasyaAllah sister, it is so nice that you are a practicing muslim. As sister Muj4h1d4 pointed out, if you could show them the beauty of Islam by you love of the deen thru discussion or even your action. When I was young, although i'm in an islamic country, my friends and housemates hardly practiced islam. Parties, movies, karaoke and discos were the in things. It was difficult for me too because they were my only friends around. I didn't wanna loose my friends, and I didn't wanna stay at home alone, so I went everywhere they went if it is was in the evening but I make sure it didn't interfere with prayer times.(Astagfirullah. May Allah forgive me for my ignorance and many mistake I made in my life). For one or two friends it worked, they actually slowly do their solah but for those that wont they just remain the same. Eventually I realise that by being with them, my iman was slowly eroding. I would rather have no friends than having it affecting my iman.

My advise is do try but if you feel you cannot make them change, leave them. It doesn't mean that you are not friends just dont go to those parties.
I suggest you to make du'a for Allah to make you independent so that you don't have to rely on/bother other people who will make it difficult for you now or in aakhirah. That is one of my daily du'a.
May Allah strengthen your imaan and make everything easy for you.:w:

SisterInsomniac
12-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Asalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraktuh Sister,
MashaAllah it is wonderful to hear that you are practising this wonderful religion. Speaking on a personal level, It is really sad to see people close to us not wanting to make Islam a part of thier lives as we love them and want the best for them and us.
My advise to you is simillar to the other sisters. I think that you shouldn't lose all contact with them. So don't participate in the parties etc... but through your own actions and the way you present yourself you can show them the advantages of Islam. If we just left contact with anyone who was not following the path of Islam then how would we expect people to learn about Islam. It is our duty to teach people anbd show them what Islam is about, this may InshaAllah be your chance to give people dawah into Islam.

noorseeker
12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Salam sister, Allahamdulillah its so nice to hear you are practising.Friends dont change over night.Its is quite hard deal with , for example take my self now that i am practising i dont really have time for friends, a quick hello here and there , but i cant really chill out with them, coz it is awkward because im not gona do the things they do and their not going to do the things im gona do, and ive gotta do things around prayer time. i will give you an example two of my friends want to travel to london , and they ask me to go along , but as i am practising i will have to hunt around for a mosque, go in pray , and they will have to wait for me , so as you see they wanna chill and not really wanna drop me off every couple of hours and wait 15 mins. Im sure your friends respect you even more as they know how hard it is to pray 5 times a day. I will tell you one thing about guys , im talking about us street boys , they will talk about religion , and start asking questions and tha,t and they do get really interested and we can talk for ages, but their not ready for the next step. If i learn some new knowledge then i try and pass it on to them in the hope that they remember it in the future when they inshallah become practising

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.