/* */

PDA

View Full Version : media in islam

qassy!
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello,

I am learning alot today and im happy that I am learning but abit upset in another way!

Anyway are we allowed to the folllwing:

Watch movies
Listen to music
PLay video games such as xbox 360
browse the internet

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
11-29-2007, 02:41 PM
:salamext:

Listen to music
Nope.

Music in Islam

qassy!
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Nope.

Music in Islam
thanks again! Anothet thing im going to read god im learning alot

so if where allowed to watch movies, why not music? in simple terms?

------
11-29-2007, 02:51 PM

I am not sure about movies brother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
qassy!
11-29-2007, 02:56 PM
jazaa kalah you have helped me out alot god bless you

IbnAbdulHakim
11-29-2007, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
thanks again! Anothet thing im going to read god im learning alot

so if where allowed to watch movies, why not music? in simple terms?
lol its ok to watch movies if it dont have naked/nasty girls or men on it.

Music is clearly haram, no difference here bro, only a veeery few rare scholars with extremely weak arguments will say otherwise.

but for real, once you give up music and the other haram, movies seem pretty boring lol, i prefer just chilling out these days to movies.

Hmm, i got wrong turn 2 sitting at home, its been sitting there for ages lol

Assalamu Alaikum

oh i think its ok to play games lol if you keep it under control, dont let it disctract u from prayers etc. i play tekken 5 now n then..

qassy!
11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok ok i mean movies have girls in there? Dressed wrongly but i dont think nothing of it?

No games never take my life away just halo 3/ assassins creed /gta etc etc

lol? chillin out with friends is going to be hard now! because girls get involved

IbnAbdulHakim
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
lol? chillin out with friends is going to be hard now! because girls get involved
this brings us to another issue lol,

the prophet said that in the day of judgement you will be with those whom you love. Now i want you to think about wether or not your mates are the ones whom you love, if you love em is it for the sake of Allaah? Are these mates people who you reckon will be in comfort on the day of judgement?

The prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam said that friends are like the blacksmith or the perfume seller, one of them you can hang around with and you'll come out smelling like smoke, the other one will have you smelling beautiful. The friends you have could be your path to heaven/hell.

Think VERY carefully about what they encourage you to/discourage you from... trust me bro we need good friends...

hope that helped slightly

Assalamu Alaikum

islamirama
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
what you watch makes a world of difference...

Ok ok i mean movies have girls in there? Dressed wrongly but i dont think nothing of it?

Movies

Imam Suhaib Webb on Bollywood (click me)

"You have to correct this culture. This Bollywood, Shahrukh Khan, Shaytaan..all this nonsense is destroying the Pakistani and Indian youth...wallahi. My wife is from Malaysia, I went to Malaysia and now they have Bollywood in Malay. I was riding on a bus in the mountains through Malaysia and the bus driver is watching a movie and driving a bus at 3 o clock in the morning. This is crazy, man..is this your illah?? Why don't you stand in the night and pray or somethin? You have to fight this culture."

"It (romance novels) creates a mentality in you, like Bollywood....I'm like going to start an anti-Bollywood Jamaat..because I'm telling you, I saw a Bollywood movie on that bus..because the screen was right there, and my wife was hitting me, "why are you watchin this?", "screen is right there man ", she can sleep on the bus, I can't, and I wanted to see it..actually you can't watch it very much..because they don't have much clothes on..these Hindu chicks. So I watch the movie, and I watched this movie and honestly, I have become convinced that this is an agent of Shaytaan. I'm telling you, because it builds this false sense of life in you, man...life is a love story. Life is ibaadah. Love will be with your family, when you get married you will find true love with your wife inshallah."

Bollywood Badboyz (click me)

Truth about Bollywood (click me)

Verily! Hearing, Sight, and the heart, all will be Questioned (by Allah) [al-Israa’ 17:36]

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

How do we reconcile those verses with the television that assaults our eyes with Haram almost every second that it is on? How do we reconcile it?

Ruling on watching TV, videos and satellite channels (click me)

TV Shows

Islam on Watching TV (click me)

Shaykh At-Tahhaan once told his students, “It was late at night when our phone rang one day. This Muslimah whispered into the phone, ‘Is this Shaykh At-Tahhaan?’ I said, ‘Yes it is me.’ She kept saying is it really you? And he said, ‘Yes, what is wrong?’ At that she just started sobbing and sobbing into the phone. After some time, she explained, ‘The children’s father bought a TV and video 2 days ago. Tonight I found my young son practicing the Haraam that he saw on his younger sister!’ Then she collapsed sobbing again.”

Everything starts with a look, and big fires start from a little spark

Amadeus85
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
IS music really banned in islam? So what about such stars like Sami Yusuf or Cat Stevens etc?

islamirama
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
IS music really banned in islam? So what about such stars like Sami Yusuf or Cat Stevens etc?
There is a difference between nasheeds (islamic songs) and nasheeds with music in them (like sami yusuf).

Ruling on so-called “Islamic” songs with musical instruments

THE ruling on Islamic nasheeds

IbnAbdulHakim
11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
when they use forbidden music instruments then they commit acts of sin. Allaah will judge between them.

Amadeus85
11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
when they use forbidden music instruments then they commit acts of sin. Allaah will judge between them.
Forbidden music instruments? Which is for example... ?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Forbidden music instruments? Which is for example... ?
scholars agree that the open-ended light sounding drum is permissable as it doesnt create any hype/adrenaline etc. This is known as the "daff", it can also sometimes be the tambourine but there is again a difference on this.

You can find out more on the links bro islamirama posted, Wind and String instruments are definitly haram.... so guitars/flutes and the likes are out of the question !

hope thats a bit more clear

Amadeus85
11-29-2007, 10:52 PM
scholars agree that the open-ended light sounding drum is permissable as it doesnt create any hype/adrenaline etc. This is known as the "daff", it can also sometimes be the tambourine but there is again a difference on this.

You can find out more on the links bro islamirama posted, Wind and String instruments are definitly haram.... so guitars/flutes and the likes are out of the question !

I want to ask, what is the very characteristic instrument that plays major role in typical arabic music, I mean the music that we can listen also in kebab bars :D

IbnAbdulHakim
11-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I want to ask, what is the very characteristic instrument that plays major role in typical arabic music, I mean the music that we can listen also in kebab bars :D
i dont really know lol, but it is an established fact that music is haraam in islaam, a minority with very weak misinterpreted views would say otherwise.

Isambard
11-30-2007, 01:04 AM

Is there actually any research behind these claims?

Ummu Sufyaan
11-30-2007, 03:54 AM
you mean is there any research on the fact that the daff dosn't create any hype/adrenaline, or evidence from the quran and sunnah that the daff is acceptable. :?

@ brother qassy! its really good that you are learning, but i do advise that you learn, step by step.

Second: One must apply gentleness and proceed in a slow and calm manner in his search for knowledge. This is since the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) informed us, in general terms, saying: “Verily, Allaah loves gentleness in every affair.” Seeking knowledge falls under this in the general sense. The Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) also said: “Gentleness does not enter something except that it beautifies it.” Knowledge and studying fall under this.

What does it mean to “apply gentleness?” It means that one should not seek to achieve knowledge all at once, as Ibn Shihaab Az-Zuhree, the famous Imaam from the Taabi’een, once said: “Whoever seeks to attain knowledge in one shot, it will leave from him in one shot. Rather, knowledge is to be sought with the passage of days and nights.”
Source
:sl:

Isambard
11-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Yes, the former. Is there any studies done to confirm that claim?

------
11-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Stay on topic Inshaa Allaah...

waji
11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
:sl:

About Music
Yusuf Estes 1
Yusuf Estes 2

TV, Sports, Video Games: Halal or Haram?
Yusuf Estes

:w:

islamirama
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
Yes, the former. Is there any studies done to confirm that claim?
How Music Affects Your Kids...
http://www.vanillafudge.com/link_backups/music2.htm

Radio Station Bans 'Harmful' Music
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C1A965958260

Isambard
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Your articles talk about something different from what I asked. I asked for evidence of this

"scholars agree that the open-ended light sounding drum is permissable as it doesnt create any hype/adrenaline etc. This is known as the "daff", it can also sometimes be the tambourine but there is again a difference on this."

islamirama
11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Your articles talk about something different from what I asked. I asked for evidence of this

"scholars agree that the open-ended light sounding drum is permissable as it doesnt create any hype/adrenaline etc. This is known as the "daff", it can also sometimes be the tambourine but there is again a difference on this."
I thought you were asking about effects of Music on the human mind and behavior. Anyways, regardless of what scholars agree on, the fact of the matter is that only instrument allowed in Islam is duff (one sided drum) and too on special occasions like wedding or festival.

czgibson
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Greetings,
I'm not a Muslim, let alone a Muslim scholar, but I can't see how Grand Theft Auto could be anything but haraam.

The subsidiary arguments about music are all bunkum. There's nothing wrong with listening to music in itself, and anyone who tells you otherwise is simply wrong. However, for a Muslim, Allah says music is forbidden, so that's all that matters.

Peace

qassy!
11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I'm not a Muslim, let alone a Muslim scholar, but I can't see how Grand Theft Auto could be anything but haraam.

The subsidiary arguments about music are all bunkum. There's nothing wrong with listening to music in itself, and anyone who tells you otherwise is simply wrong. However, for a Muslim, Allah says music is forbidden, so that's all that matters.

Peace
well....its just a geme its not realistic?

Isambard
12-01-2007, 04:11 AM
well....its just a geme its not realistic?
Its a game where the objective is to be the biggest baddest ganster around. With glorification of murder, drugs, vandalism, defiance of the law, prostitution etc.

Im not a scholar, but Im pretty sure a game like this would be haram ;D

qassy!
12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Its a game where the objective is to be the biggest baddest ganster around. With glorification of murder, drugs, vandalism, defiance of the law, prostitution etc.

I dont think so because its not realistic??

IbnAbdulHakim
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I dont think so because its not realistic??
im not a scholar bro , but logically dont you think muslims should find it disgusting?!

i mean what i love using a criteria is our beloved prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam, if you cant watch/play something with him around... then its best not to do it when he aint around.

And all the hard work we do, we will get jannah for it inshaAllaah.

In the hereafter, we will swear that this whole life was as short as a few hours.... if that.

If we waste this time, we will be in utmost regret, so bro, have fun in the halaal way inshaAllaah, we'll have innerpeace, we'll be the best of characters, we'll bring happiness and goodness to all around us, we'll be a source of strength and guidance bi-idhnillaah, and by Allaahs mercy will be of those who enter jannah!!!!!!

Assalamu Alaikum

------
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM

^^^^Agreed!

Why waste your time? There's no point and it just messes ur mind up.

al-muslimah
12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Anyway are we allowed to the folllwing:

Watch movies
Listen to music
browse the internet----qassy!

1. listen to music - Music is haram.
2.watch movies - watching haram movies with kissing or nudity is haram.The scholars have said that tv is amufid(corrupt) just don't watch haram stuff. I'd rather watch tv at all. I don't know how many times I broke the tv in my house 4 or 5 times.
3.browse the internet - we can go on the internet as long as we don't go to haram.

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM

sorry to get off topic...assassins creed is a sik game in my opinion...FUN...and halo 3 is only fun wit xbox live.lol....anyway... i heard movies arent haram unless its got nakedness and all that sick stuff but not if they just wairing the 'normal' american clothes they always wair..so im not sure.:D:w:

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 03:27 PM

WHA?! ..oh ur an athiest ..phew... i am not sure if its haram...but is Need for Speed...most wanted ...haram? just becasue it says 'most wanted' doesnt mean u gotta do drugs and all...but its just soooooo fun making cops maaad please dont say its haram?? its nothing BAD its just destroying city and other cars while racin and owing the city tons of money...and its all FAKE its a game... anyone?

also is assassins creed haram? that game is sooooooo cool u can like do almost anything...*cough throwingknives cough*

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.