/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hajj and debt

AnonymousPoster
11-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Just wanted to know can you still perform hajj if you are in soo much debt, that you can not pay it off all your life time :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
qassy!
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Salam

I think i dont know for deff
But finance optionS?

but anyway i think you ment to go when you can afford it

salam

------
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
:salamext:

Performing Hajj with a debt

Also,

Question: I am aware that people who are in debt cannot make Hajj until they clear their debts or their creditors grant them permission to make Hajj. But in reality, is that ever done? I know some people who are going for Hajj this year and they are in serious debt. In fact the person may be using the Hajj to make money to perhaps clear off some of his debts. What can one say to such a person? What is my duty here?
Answer:

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing interest in learning the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations.

Muslim Jurists have unanimously agreed that Hajj is obligatory upon anyone who is able to perform it, based on the verse in which Allah says: (Pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah, those who can afford the journey…) (Aal `Imran 3: 97).

Before going to Hajj one should relieve himself of obligations towards others, his trusts and debts. If one is in debt, he can not go for Hajj as this debt is the right of the creditor. However, if the creditor allows him/her to go for Hajj, then he/she can perform Hajj.

Elaborating more on this, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

1. Hajj is not obligatory (Fard) on a person who is in debt. However, if a person has a long-term loan and he/she is required to pay only a certain amount every month, then his/her debt is only that which is due every month. If he/she pays off all the debt and then nothing is left with him/her to make Hajj, then Hajj is not obligatory on him/her. But if he/she only pays his/her monthly dues and then has enough money to make Hajj, then he/she should make Hajj because it obligatory on him/her.

2. If someone is in debt and his/her creditor allows him/her to go for Hajj, then he/she can perform Hajj. If a person takes loan (of course without interest) to perform Hajj and he makes Hajj, his/her Hajj is valid, although he/she was not required to do so and Hajj was not obligatory on him/her.

3. There is nothing wrong in going for Hajj and also doing some business on the side to make money or to pay some debts, as long as Hajj is performed with sincerity and all its rituals are carried out properly. In this respect, Allah Almighty says: (It is no sin for you that ye seek the bounty of your Lord (by trading).) (Al-Baqarah 2:198)
Source: Hajj and Debts

piXie
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Just wanted to know can you still perform hajj if you are in soo much debt, that you can not pay it off all your life time :cry:
:sl:

Also, invoke Allah daily to relieve you of your debts and insha'Allaah he will. I have linked u to two du'as which should be read when one is trying to settle their debts. May Allah rid you of this burden. Aameen.

http://www.makedua.com/display_dua.php?sectionid=38

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chosen
12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
question....is the reasoning behind this...that money should not be spent in this way (hajj), if you owe money to other people because you should be using it to pay them back????? and if so what if you are on hajj because someone else has paid for you to go is that acceptable??? excuse the ignorance, but I am not muslim and I am curious..

islamirama
12-07-2007, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chosen
question....is the reasoning behind this...that money should not be spent in this way (hajj), if you owe money to other people because you should be using it to pay them back????? and if so what if you are on hajj because someone else has paid for you to go is that acceptable??? excuse the ignorance, but I am not muslim and I am curious..
The thing with hajj is that although it is one of the 5 pillars of Islam, it is optional in the sense that you have to do it only when you can afford to and if you can afford to then it becomes obligatory on you. In the old days (before planes), it would take people months to go to hajj and then come back. And they would have to go thru lot of hardship in that process and many would not make it back either. So everyone would ask forgiveness from those whom they have wronged and would write their Will and would pay of any debts before leaving. Although we have planes and technology has improved, it is still the same case. Many pilgrims do die over there do to some accident or another. And also there's guarantee that you will be back for sure. So one always asks for forgiveness, writes their Will and pays of all debts before departing.

Here is a similar situation/scenario to your question...

Question:
I am a man who is well off, and I have a sister whose husband is not well off. He had an accident and ended up in debt, and he is not able to pay off the debt, because his family is very big, and he is the only breadwinner for his family. I have done the obligatory Hajj, and I have done Hajj for a second time. Now I want to do Hajj for a third time, and take my sister for Hajj at my own expense, because she cannot afford to do the obligatory Hajj. Which is better before Allaah, to take my sister with me for Hajj, or to use the money that I have for Hajj on relieving her husband’s hardship?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

If the matter is as you describe, and your sister’s husband is in debt and he cannot pay it off, then it is better for you to pay off his debts with what you have, and delay taking your sister for Hajj, because paying off her husband’s debts and relieving the hardship of both of them is more important than taking her for Hajj, and is more beneficial for both of them. She is not obliged to do Hajj until she can afford it.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta (11/44).
Based on the above i think what you presented is almost the same case. Since the man can't afford to go hajj on his own, he is not obligated to do so. And if someone else wants to pay for his hajj to send him, then that person should put that money towards this person's debt and helping him from that hardship.

That's what I think in my limited understanding. Allah know's best and maybe someone else can give you a more direct answer if they are able inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.