/* */

PDA

View Full Version : incident of this hadith

جوري
11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
:sl: I wanted to post this under fiqh but my computer gives me a blank page whenever I try to post it.. basically, I was hoping someone would explain to me what the hadith was about and its moral pls
thank you and jazkoum Allah khyran
:w:

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 155:
Narrated 'Aisha:

Allah's Apostle came to my house while two girls were singing beside me the songs of Bu'ath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, i.e. Khazraj and Aus, before Islam.) The Prophet reclined on the bed and turned his face to the other side. Abu Bakr came and scolded me and said protestingly, "Instrument of Satan in the presence of Allah's Apostle?" Allah's Apostle turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I waved the two girls to go away and they left. It was the day of 'Id when negroes used to play with leather shields and spears. Either I requested Allah's Apostle or he himself asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then he let me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on, O Bani Arfida (i.e. negroes)!" When I got tired, he asked me if that was enough. I replied in the affirmative and he told me to leave.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
:sl:

If you're asking in regards to the hadith's relation with music/singing, then this will be beneficial Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/202...an-sunnah.html

Specifically under 'The Celebration of the two 'Eed Festivals'.

And an explanation by Imam Ibn Hajar al Asqalani:

http://www.islamicboard.com/726956-post6.html

جوري
11-30-2007, 11:46 PM
:sl: akhi and Jazaka Allah khyran
this is from the thread you enclosed

IMAM ABU HANEEFAH:

Imam Abu Haneefah(*108) has perhaps the harshest view of the four famous Imams of jurisprudence. His school of thought is the strictest, for he detested singing and considered it sinful. As for his disciples, they have explicitly confirmed the prohibition of listening to all musical amusements and pastimes, including wind instruments (mazaameer),(*109) all types of tambourines, hand drums (dufoof)(*110) and even the striking of sticks(al-qadeeb). They have asserted that such actions constitute disobedience to Allah and that the performer of such action is sinful, therefore necessitating rejection of his testimony.(*111) They have further stated that it is incumbent upon the Muslim to struggle to avoid listening to such things, even if he were passing by or stationed near them (without any willful intention). Abu Haneefah's closest disciple, Abu Yoosuf, stated that if the sound of musical instruments (ma'aazif) and amusements (malaahi) were heard coming from a house, the house could be entered without permission of its owners.(*112) The justification for this is that the command regarding the prohibition of abominable things (munkaaraat) is mandatory, and cannot be established if such entering rests upon the permission of the residents of the premises.(*113) This is the madhhab (position) of the rest of the Kufic scholars as well, such as Ibraheem An-Nakha'i, Ash-Sha'bi, Hammaad and Ath-Thowri. They do not differ on this issue. The same can be said of the general body of jurisprudence of Al-Basrah.(*114)

I just need to know if these hadiths are incorrect? The only reason I ask, if because I constantly get a difference of opinion and I am not really sure what to believe.. In what you have posted all tambourines are strictly prohibited, yet the hadith below Allah's apostle asks a woman to fulfil her vow of playing the tambourine.. do guide me to what I should believe
wajazaka Allah khyran

p.s if there is a more appropriate section for this pls move the thread to it
wajazaka Allah khyran

Volume 2, Book 15, Number 103:
Narrated 'Urwa on the authority of 'Aisha:

On the days of Mina, (11th, 12th, and 13th of Dhul-Hijjah) Abu Bakr came to her while two young girls were beating the tambourine and the Prophet was lying covered with his clothes. Abu Bakr scolded them and the Prophet uncovered his face and said to Abu Bakr, "Leave them, for these days are the days of 'Id and the days of Mina." 'Aisha further said, "Once the Prophet was screening me and I was watching the display of black slaves in the Mosque and ('Umar) scolded them. The Prophet said, 'Leave them. O Bani Arfida! (carry on), you are safe (protected)'."

Volume 5, Book 59, Number 336:

Narrated Ar-Rubai bint Muauwidh:

The Prophet came to me after consuming his marriage with me and sat down on my bed as you (the sub-narrator) are sitting now, and small girls were beating the tambourine and singing in lamentation of my father who had been killed on the day of the battle of Badr. Then one of the girls said, "There is a Prophet amongst us who knows what will happen tomorrow." The Prophet said (to her)," Do not say this, but go on saying what you have spoken before."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book 21, Number 3306:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As:

A woman came to the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah, I have taken a vow to play the tambourine over you.

He said: Fulfil your vow.

She said: And I have taken a vow to perform a sacrifice in such a such a place, a place in which people had performed sacrifices in pre-Islamic times.

He asked: For an Idol?

She replied: No.

He asked: For an image?

She replied: No.

He said: Fulfil your vow.

chacha_jalebi
11-30-2007, 11:58 PM
also i think that RasoolAllah (saw) let Hadhrat Aisha (ra) watch the display by the kids, because Aisha (ra) was young and he understood that she would like to watch this type of stuff innit

all the vow one, it could be because RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) encouraged us not to makes vows, but maybe because the woman said i have taken a vow, he said complete it then, thats WHAT IT COULD BE lol, im not sure though, maybe some one more knowledgeable can help you out sister

but i think we should realise that these hadiths are not encouragin music or singin

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
:sl: I agree with you, aside from that I don't think the music of today is anything but treacherous... I do however, often wonder if one listens to ambient soft sounds to decompress would be strictly prohibited?

speaking for myself, I have lost my taste for music sometime before I even knew it was haram, in school though I used to play the recorder and the piano as it was a part of the curriculum...
Generally any noise gives me a really bad headache and I suffer from migraines... but nature sounds and soft sounds actually help me relax, during times when I can't listen to Quran.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
:sl:

That's the ruling of the early ahnaf, and it can be due to the fact that perhaps these hadith did not reach them because of where they lived (Kufa, Basra, i.e. far away from the centers of hadith). If you look closely, the author mentions: "Imam Abu Haneefah(*108) has perhaps the harshest view of the four famous Imams of jurisprudence. His school of thought is the strictest, for he detested singing and considered it sinful." And this harshness without any exceptions can be because these particular hadith did not reach them, so based on what they knew and qiyaas, they held the view that all of it is forbidden. The author mentions that this is the harshest view out of the four schools, and if you read on under Imam Malik's section, the author says: "Al-Qurtubi confirmed Maalik's view by saying that the only exception to this general ruling was the type of innocent songs such as those sung to placate the camels during travel, or during hard labor or boredom or during times of festivity and joy, such as the 'Eed days and weddings - the latter to the accompaniment of a simple daff (hand drum)."

Also take a look at the section of Imam Ahmad.

The author concludes that portion of his text by saying: "In conclusion, the general consensus of the companions, taabi'een and the following generations of Islamic scholars up to the present day, including the four Imams, points to the ruling of prohibition of music and song (other than the exceptions to be mentioned later)."

And the 'Eed days and weddings are from the exceptions. If you want to know what to believe, then I advice that you read the entire book because that'll explain the entire issue Insha'Allaah. And Allaah knows best.

جوري
12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I had no idea there were degrees of 'strictiness' amongst the scholars sob7an Allah, that is actually something new I learned today..

Thank you, and Jazaka Allah khyran..I'll read all of it, see how they integrate all the hadiths insha'Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.