/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Food and Eating Habits According to the Sunnah

'Abd al-Baari
12-01-2007, 03:56 PM
:salamext:

Food and Eating Habits According to the Sunnah
By Imaam Ibnul-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah
Comprehensive notes covering the most important qualities of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) in regards to food and diet.

"It is sufficient for the son of Aadam to eat a few mouthfuls, to keep him going. If he must do that (fill his stomach), then let him fill one third with food, one third with drink and one third with air."

[1]: When he put his hand in the food, he would say, “Bismillaah (with the Name of Allaah),’’ and he told people to say this when eating. He said, “When any one of you eats, let him mention the name of Allaah. If he forgets to mention the name of Allaah at the beginning, let him say ‘Bismillaahi fee awwalihi wa aakhirihi,’ (with the name of Allaah, at its beginning and at its end).” [2] The correct view is that it is obligatory to mention the name of Allaah (say Bismillaah) when eating. The ahaadeeth which state this are saheeh (authentic) and are clear, with no contradictions in them.

[2]: When he raised the food to his mouth, he would say, “Al-hamdu lillaahi hamdan katheeran tayyiban mubaarakan feehi ghayri makfiyyin wa laa muwadda’ wa laa mustaghni ’anhu Rabbanaa ’azza wa jall (Allaah be praised with an abundant, beautiful, blessed praise. He is the One Who is Sufficient, Who feeds and is never fed, The One Who is longed for, along with that which is with Him, and the One Who is needed. He is Our Lord, may He be glorified). [3]

[3]: He never criticized food at all. If he liked it, he would eat it, and if he did not like it, he would leave it and not say anything. [4] Or he would say, “I do not feel like eating this.” [5]

[4]: Sometimes he would praise the food, as when he asked his family for food, and they said, “We have nothing but vinegar.” He asked for it and started to eat it, saying, “What good food is vinegar.”[6]

[5]: He used to talk whilst he was eating, as is seen from the report quoted above about vinegar. And he said to his stepson ’Umar Ibn Abee Salamah (radiyallaahu ’anhu) when he was eating with him: “Say Bismillaah and eat from that which is in front of you in the dish.’’ [7]

[6]: He would repeatedly urge his guests to eat, as generous hosts do, and as is seen in the hadeeth of Aboo Hurayrah (radiyallaahu ’anhu), related by al-Bukhaaree, about the story of drinking milk, where he repeatedly said to him, “Drink,” and he kept telling him to drink until he (the guest) said, “By the One Who sent you with the truth, I have no more room for it!” [8]

[7]: When he ate with others, he would not leave until he had made du’aa (supplication) for them. He made du’aa in the house of ’Abdullaah Ibn Bishr, and said: “O Allaah, bless for them that which You have provided for them, forgive them and have mercy on them.” [9]

[8]: He commanded people to eat with their right hands and forbade them to eat with their left hands. He said, “The Shaytaan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.” [10] This implies that eating with the left hand is haraam (unlawful), and this is the correct view, because the one who eats with his left hand is either a shaytaan (devil), or he is imitating the Shaytaan. It was also reported in an authentic hadeeth that he told a man who was eating with his left hand in his presence, “Eat with your right hand!” The man said, “I cannot.” He said, “May you never be able to,” and the man never lifted his right hand to his mouth after that. [11] If it was permissible (to eat with the left hand), he would not have prayed against him for doing so. It was the man’s stubborn arrogance that made him refuse to obey the command, and this is the utmost disobedience which deserved this prayer against him.

[9]: He commanded those who complained that they never felt full to eat together and not separately, and to mention the name of Allaah (say Bismillaah) over the food so that He might bless it for them. [12]

[10]: It was also reported that he said, “I do not eat reclining.” [13]

[11]: He used to eat using the first three fingers (of his right hand), which is the best way of eating.

THE PROPHET’S GUIDANCE REGARDING EATING:

[1]: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to know what he was eating.

[2]: He used to eat what was good for him.

[3]: He used to eat enough to keep him going, but no so much as to make him fat. Ibn ’Umar related that the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “The believer eats in one stomach whilst the disbeliever eats in seven.” [14]

[4]: He taught his Ummah something to protect them from diseases caused by eating and drinking. He said, “The son of Aadam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Aadam to eat a few mouthfuls, to keep him going. If he must do that (fill his stomach), then let him fill one third with food, one third with drink and one third with air.” [15]

Footnotes:

[1] Zaadul-Ma’aad (p. 2/397-406)
[2] Saheeh: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no. 1859) and Aboo Daawood (no. 3767).
[3] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 5142)
[4] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 3370) and Muslim (no. 2064).
[5] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 5076) and Muslim (no. 1946).
[6] Related by Muslim (no. 5052)
[7] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 5061) and Muslim (no. 2022).
[8] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 6087)
[9] Related by Muslim (no. 2042)
[10] Related by Muslim (no. 2020)
[11] Related by Muslim (no. 2021)
[12] Saheeh: Narrated by Abu Dawood (3764) and Ibn Maajah (3286).
[13] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 5083)
[14] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 5081) and Muslim (no. 2060).
[15]: Saheeh: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no. 1381)and Ibn Maajah (no. 3349). It was authenticated by Shaykh Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee in Silsilatul-Ahaadeethus-Saheehah (no. 2265).

I tried searching for this if it had already been poster but i couldn't see, please forgive me if it has and i have missed it, also if this is in the wrong section please can a mod please move it, Jazakallah Khair

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Camomilla
12-01-2007, 04:21 PM
thanx for the share, Jazakallah Khair!

'Abd al-Baari
12-01-2007, 07:49 PM
:sl:

Wa Iyyakum, no probs sis :),

Pk_#2
12-01-2007, 09:36 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

He used to talk whilst he was eating
*Shocked face* That is a really good hadith I LOVE it!

By the way, pops always tells me not to lean my face on my left hand while I'm eating, is that a culture thing? Or did the prophet say not to do that, 'cause i really wana lean my ickle head on my hand,

jazakAllah khair for sharing my tinsy winsy akhi, hmm

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aziaf
12-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Asalamualaikum,

I think that its crucial that we try do such automatic/normal acts in our day such as eating , sleeping,talking, walking according to the sunnah and with pure intention for the sake of Allah (swt)..slowly slowly our actions become acts of worship for simply doing (the things we have to do anyway) the way we should acording to our Prophets pbuh example.

eg Right shoe first, using miswak, saying bismilah when eating, eating with right hands etc

If we introduce them slowly and gradually and encourage others to do it, it wil remind us and become part of our normal routine.

Eating habits is a good place to start, as we do it at least 3 times a day.
Jazakallah for sharing that with us.

Walaikumsalam

Ummu Sufyaan
12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Jazakallahu khair. nce article.

------
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Lol I wonder why most people think you shouldn't talk when you are eating :-\

Camomilla
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziaf
Asalamualaikum,

I think that its crucial that we try do such automatic/normal acts in our day such as eating , sleeping,talking, walking according to the sunnah and with pure intention for the sake of Allah (swt)..slowly slowly our actions become acts of worship for simply doing (the things we have to do anyway) the way we should acording to our Prophets pbuh example.

eg Right shoe first, using miswak, saying bismilah when eating, eating with right hands etc

If we introduce them slowly and gradually and encourage others to do it, it wil remind us and become part of our normal routine.

Eating habits is a good place to start, as we do it at least 3 times a day.
Jazakallah for sharing that with us.

Walaikumsalam
your right! :sunny:
and you know these things, like eating with your right hand, putting right shoe first, these things remind us about the Day of Judgment, coz people who enter in Jannah they will be given their record book in the right hand.
And those who enter in hell is opposite.

:w:

Noor 13
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Lol I wonder why most people think you shouldn't talk when you are eating :-\
I don't think it is a problem to talk while you are sitting together to have lunch or dinner but I don't think it is nice to talk while you have food in your mouth.

------
12-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Yeh, wouldn't want to see the seperate bits of food in someone's mouth :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.