/* */

PDA

View Full Version : America - nation in Sea of Booze

islamirama
12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Emblems of the Bush Age: Adrift in a Sea of Booze

By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

Politicians here still parrot Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign against teen drug use. Barrack Obama's in trouble for supposedly having told teens as part of his counseling that he too used bad drugs including heroin. But the needle and the increasingly potent joint don't hold a candle to simple booze in which the current cohort, stretching from mid-teen high schoolers through to college age kids, is marinating itself into weekly oblivion. Though there are those who deprecate claims that youth is drinking more than earlier cohorts, it seems a new lost generation is in the making, emblem of the Bush Age.

One big concern touted in the press endlessly used to be date-rape, with the girl-victim laid out by drugs. Now it's binge-drinking. High schoolers, and in particular high school girls, drink hard liquor in large quantities as fast as they can and pass out. Sometimes they get gang-raped and wake up pregnant.

This is the culture. Even meth addiction looks better. Much of it started with the Girls Gone Wild home videos, which were largely filmed during Spring Break. Now it's spring break all year round. Google tries to strip these off Youtube and such as soon as they go up. But there are undergound sites that may be searchable.

For fun at frat or sorority Parties, the pledges--that is, those who have been accepted for membership -- are made to drink until they throw up and pass out. Then they are stripped by the slightly less drunken contingent and have swastikas and racist epithets written on their bodies in permanent magic marker, are posed in indecent positions and the whole affair is filmed and posted on Facebook/My Space websites.

If parents really want to know what they're kids are up to they should read the Facebook entries--but it's probably better not to know. A friend of mine with a frat boy son returned shaken from one weekend visit to the frat house having witnessed a lad who vomited on the sleeping fathers during "dads' weekend". This was after he had drained a bottle of Grey Goose vodka, following a day of nonstop drinking. "I don't know how he survived," my friend concluded in some perplexity.

A recent survey done in Montana, admittedly a heavy drinking state across all age groups, had 38 percent of high schoolers admitting binge drinking within the past 30 days, above the national average of 28 percent. Binge drinking is defined in these stats as having five or more drinks in one session. Over a third of these young boozers said they'd been in a car whose driver was also busy getting loaded. You trip over reports of the resultant auto disasters all the time, in any local paper.

Teen and college drinkers include here returning vets from Iraq, mostly in their mid-20s. For example Portland State University in Oregon, had 800 vets enrolling this fall, and many other colleges across the country experienced a similarly huge inrush. These include a predictable complement of people with severe problems of post traumatic stress syndrome likely to produce sociopathic behavior.

Parents worried that some drunk will drive their own drunken child into a wall or another car, or that that their own drunken child will be behind the wheel, now encourage the parties to take place in their own homes. This carries its own risks, in the form of "social hosting" laws in many states, where the householder--even if away on holiday or on business--can get nailed for allowing the party. This includes liability for damages if any death or injury stems from the revelry, either on site or in some carload of party-goers on their way home.

If Americans look for leadership amidst this crisis, they probably won't want to dwell too long on George Bush, a frat boy with a major drinking problem until--supposedly--he laid off after Laura had been on the receiving end of one too many unpleasant homecomings. George claims God saved him, but there are no signs of the mass religious revival which would now be necessary.

http://counterpunch.com/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Why does Ireland get a free pass? :)

czgibson
12-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Greetings,

A lot of people don't realise that alcohol is one of the most dangerous of all intoxicants, legal or otherwise.

Peace

Keltoi
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

A lot of people don't realise that alcohol is one of the most dangerous of all intoxicants, legal or otherwise.

Peace
I agree with that, but the American experience with Prohibition wasn't a good one. People are going to drink, and to be frank, drinking alcohol is almost a tradition with most Caucasian ethnicities. Not sure what the answer to the problem is...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
root
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Perhaps God has much to answer for, afterall is it not him that created alcohol in outerspace?

What was he thinking of or was he a bit tipsy when he created man with all his design flaws. :shade:

Oh, the evil US..............

Keltoi
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Perhaps God has much to answer for, afterall is it not him that created alcohol in outerspace?

What was he thinking of or was he a bit tipsy when he created man with all his design flaws. :shade:

Oh, the evil US..............
Well, I assume you know this, but alcohol is created by man. From grapes, grain, and even potatoes(Vodka). So of course this is a human problem. However, I assume you were being sarcastic with your display of athiest logic. :D

chosen
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
If you are going to lament over americas flaws in this category....we should also speak of the fact hasish (pot) is openly smoked in eygpt and yemen...poppies are the crop of choice in afganistan (where 80% of the worlds supply comes from)...I think that it would be far more beneficial for humanity as a whole not to single out any one nation/culture when speaking of intoxicants.."by the way I have been to eygpt on two seperate occasions and know of what I speak.) You can find kids smoking pot in amercia.but lol, not in a coffee shop where the owner provides the hookaas to put the hash in, and sits there with you and talks while you smoke....

czgibson
12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I agree with that, but the American experience with Prohibition wasn't a good one. People are going to drink, and to be frank, drinking alcohol is almost a tradition with most Caucasian ethnicities. Not sure what the answer to the problem is...
I'm not suggesting prohibition - quite the reverse! The current prohibition on drugs like heroin, cocaine and the rest is causing similar problems to those experienced by the US during alcohol prohibition.

According to this wikipedia article on him, Noah is regarded by some as the inventor of wine.

Peace

sameer
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
Very true. The prophet (saw) was reported to have said that Alcohol is the mother of all vices.
One can see for themselves the acts that people commit when they are drunk.

“They ask you (O Muhammad) about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: ‘In both of them there is a great wrong and a means of (some) profit for men; but their sin is greater than their profit.’”
Quran 2:19

root
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Well, I assume you know this, but alcohol is created by man. From grapes, grain, and even potatoes(Vodka). So of course this is a human problem. However, I assume you were being sarcastic with your display of athiest logic. :D
Not at all, Alcohol has been found on the comet temple1 and a few other places in space too. It's quite common in space actually, and if we never made it who did? Either LGM or God!

I know myself on a friday night that where I find alcohol I find life....!!!!!

Gator
12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
The prophet (saw) was reported to have said that Alcohol is the mother of all vices.
Not to disagree so much and get all christiany original sin on ya, but I think the human mind is the mother of all vices.

Oh, and Noah, now favorite prophet. (see above). :)

Thanks.

sameer
12-03-2007, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chosen
If you are going to lament over americas flaws in this category....we should also speak of the fact hasish (pot) is openly smoked in eygpt and yemen...poppies are the crop of choice in afganistan (where 80% of the worlds supply comes from)...I think that it would be far more beneficial for humanity as a whole not to single out any one nation/culture when speaking of intoxicants.."by the way I have been to eygpt on two seperate occasions and know of what I speak.) You can find kids smoking pot in amercia.but lol, not in a coffee shop where the owner provides the hookaas to put the hash in, and sits there with you and talks while you smoke....
True, alcohol and drug consumption is a global problem that affects everyone whether you're the one drinking or not.

Its sad to see that even though Islam prohibits these things, they still occur in Muslim homes and lands. This just shows how important it is for Muslims to educate themselves about Islam and not just stick to traditions.

root
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
True, alcohol and drug consumption is a global problem that affects everyone whether you're the one drinking or not.

Its sad to see that even though Islam prohibits these things, they still occur in Muslim homes and lands. This just shows how important it is for Muslims to educate themselves about Islam and not just stick to traditions.
I agree, in Pakistan they love the stuff and often I would see them ratfaced. Even in the British Consulate in Karachi, some Pakistani nationals get access to a pub they have in thier and could drink me under the table, However, they could not match me on the snooker table.

OFF Topic, at first when beaten they would simply walk away and I would chase after them and offer a shake of my hand and a "well played, unlucky". Or occasionally, "Well played you deserved to win". By the time I left Pakistan all the Pakistanis going to the consulate regularly shaked hands, win or lose. Quite proud of what I passed onto them.

chosen
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
It is sad..and the truth is there is only a select few that are making craploads of money from these industries..booze production..opium..pot..synthetic drugs..what the world as a whole needs to do is hold these people responsible for the distruction their products cause.

Whatsthepoint
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
There's nothing wrong with moderate consumption of wine (and other alchoholic beverages). It's supposed to be beneficial, actually.

Wine can be an art.

chosen
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
the bible does not say drinking is a sin...it says drunkedness is a sin...even Jesus turned water into wine....just like eating is not a sin..but glutony is a sin...however there is a load of difference between a glass of wine and mass promoting beer and whiskey as being sexy and hip and putting these ads up in plain site of imprsessionable children..People laughed at me when my children were young and I would ALWAYS BE WITH THEM..DAY AND NIGHT SUPERVISING THEM...didnt get my first job till a few years ago..there is too much nasty evil in the world..

chosen
12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
I also have a problem with the bar on every corner mentality....I dont drink at all..but I use to... a glass of red wine after dinner with my husband...in my own home.....people make going out to drink a social occasion...lets all go to the bar and drink till we are sick...

czgibson
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Greetings,
It is sad..and the truth is there is only a select few that are making craploads of money from these industries..
I don't have figures to hand, but surely there are loads of people in the alcohol industry, making their living off it?

booze production..opium..pot..synthetic drugs..what the world as a whole needs to do is hold these people responsible for the distruction their products cause.
It'd be very difficult to get that to work, as history has shown. Full legalisation and government control is the only solution that hasn't been tried.

Peace

sameer
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
the bible does not say drinking is a sin...
Drinking was allowed at the time of the prophet (saw) until Allah revealed the verse i quoted above.

[Whatsthepoint
There's nothing wrong with moderate consumption of wine (and other alchoholic beverages). It's supposed to be beneficial, actually.

Wine can be an art.]

^ yes, Allah confirmed that by saying:

"In both of them there is a great wrong and a means of (some) profit for men; but their sin is greater than their profit.’”

Notice He(Allah) said that there is some profit/benefit but the sin outweighs it. Can you honestly say that drinkers benefit more from drinking or rather more harm comes from it?
:shade:

Hashim_507
12-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Drinking was forbidden in Islam for many reasons.

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
If you are going to lament over americas flaws in this category.

Right, but you see, the thread creater is an American who is only interested in bashing America.

It is not the land he loves, it is the land he hates.

islamirama
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
It is not the land he loves, it is the land he hates.
I think you need to step outside your sandbox and look at the bigger picture.

The point of this post was to highlight the problem so rampant in america unlike any other western or eastern nation. Alcohol is a major problem and disease and is detrimental to the well being of any society. It's sad to see americans embracing this chaotic way of life....

wilberhum
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I think you need to step outside your sandbox and look at the bigger picture.

The point of this post was to highlight the problem so rampant in america unlike any other western or eastern nation. Alcohol is a major problem and disease and is detrimental to the well being of any society. It's sad to see americans embracing this chaotic way of life....
Alcohol is a major problem. I don't dismiss that in any way shape of form.

I know people who have suffered greatly from the problem.

But when you offer a helping hand, it has a mouse trap in it. :D

Your facts are true but your purpose is just your continued hatred of America.

Trumble
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
The point of this post was to highlight the problem so rampant in america unlike any other western or eastern nation.
If that is the case you have failed rather miserably. I don't see anything about any other nation that provides comparative evidence to support that claim. The numbers actually show alcohol consumption varies widely across the US and levels are broadly similar to all the Western European countries. The list is far from comprehensive... I suspect a little research will reveal the problem is as bad, if not worse, in Russia and parts of Eastern Europe for example. It certainly is in parts of South America.. try visiting Punta Arenas sometime!

islamirama
12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
If that is the case you have failed rather miserably. I don't see anything about any other nation that provides comparative evidence to support that claim. The numbers actually show alcohol consumption varies widely across the US and levels are broadly similar to all the Western European countries. The list is far from comprehensive... I suspect a little research will reveal the problem is as bad, if not worse, in Russia and parts of Eastern Europe for example. It certainly is in parts of South America.. try visiting Punta Arenas sometime!
You should learn to read first before replying....

Other countries drink also, no doubt. Italy doesn't even have age limit and even kids drink there. But again the PROBLEM is in the US. Read the article again about American univs/colleges and the whole alcoholic culture in the US.

But when you offer a helping hand, it has a mouse trap in it. :D

Your facts are true but your purpose is just your continued hatred of America.
I learn from the kuffars i live among :D

Joe98
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim
Drinking was forbidden in Islam for many reasons.
I have learnt about Islam from visiting this forum.

A glass of red wine per day is healthy for a person. But 1 person in 1,000 is an alchaholic. And therefore Islam says that the other 999 cannot drink red wine.

But Islam is OK with cigarettes. They kill more than red wine does. But they were not available at the time of the prophet and therefore nobody cares!

-

angel_nunu
12-04-2007, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
I have learnt about Islam from visiting this forum.

A glass of red wine per day is healthy for a person. But 1 person in 1,000 is an alchaholic. And therefore Islam says that the other 999 cannot drink red wine.

But Islam is OK with cigarettes. They kill more than red wine does. But they were not available at the time of the prophet and therefore nobody cares!

-
sorry but islam is not ok with cigarettes... islam is not ok with anything that can harm your body, especially something that is known to harm everyone like cigarettes:smile:

sevgi
12-04-2007, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by angel_nunu
sorry but islam is not ok with cigarettes... islam is not ok with anything that can harm your body, especially something that is known to harm everyone like cigarettes:smile:

well,

u see my dear sis...islam is against everything which harms ur body.yes..but the issue of cigarettes is a convoluted one.

there is no precise ruling on the consumption of cigrattes. so it is labelled makrooh and is advised as 'haraam' when the body is at the state of dying due to cigrattes and the doctor says 'no more!'...

things like alchohol have been ruled out of islam both in ayah and in hadeeth,,,

peace.

angel_nunu
12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
well,

u see my dear sis...islam is against everything which harms ur body.yes..but the issue of cigarettes is a convoluted one.

there is no precise ruling on the consumption of cigrattes. so it is labelled makrooh and is advised as 'haraam' when the body is at the state of dying due to cigrattes and the doctor says 'no more!'...

things like alchohol have been ruled out of islam both in ayah and in hadeeth,,,

peace.
well i dont think its a "convoluted one"... its actually quite clear...it is an epidemic that is seriously damaging our society and dimishing our health... isn't it?:D

Joe98
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Cigarettes have been around for 500 years.

How long does it take to make a decision?

(Hint: they don't get a mention in the koran)

-

sevgi
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
it is convoluted in islamm...

we cannot make a ruling on issues as 'haraam' or 'halal'...we are not Allah.tovbe.

to make a decison is not our place...great imaams can make fatwas...and their fatwas are 'convoluted' in the way which i directed below..people can accept whichever view they feel is teh best...

w/s

angel_nunu
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM

we cannot make a ruling on issues as 'haraam' or 'halal'...we are not Allah.tovbe.

to make a decison is not our place...great imaams can make fatwas...and their fatwas are 'convoluted' in the way which i directed below..people can accept whichever view they feel is teh best...

w/s
:heated:stop writing teh mannn:grumbling

sevgi
12-04-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by angel_nunu
:heated:stop writing teh mannn:grumbling
cant help it...

back OT...

north_malaysian
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
drinking alcohol is almost a tradition with most Caucasian ethnicities....
And among many tribal people in Asia too (especially the Dayak in Borneo)...

Dawud_uk
12-04-2007, 12:13 PM
islam

Whatsthepoint
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
islam
:smile:

MTAFFI
12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Emblems of the Bush Age: Adrift in a Sea of Booze

By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

Politicians here still parrot Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign against teen drug use. Barrack Obama's in trouble for supposedly having told teens as part of his counseling that he too used bad drugs including heroin.
right here is what proves counterpunch to be a load of crap, Obama said he used marijuana and cocaine, he never used heroin... I always find it is the more subtle misconveyances that make the biggest differences and counterpunch has perfected it

MTAFFI
12-04-2007, 02:35 PM
as for drinking regularly and the effects to society I do agree with the article. I have been a heavy drinker my whole life, in college I drank excessively and I think I drank my first beer at 17, and it is a hard habit to kick. I dont drink excessively anymore but at night before I go to bed I find it difficult to fall asleep unless i have a drink of whiskey. Alcohol is no doubt a downfall in society but as someone else said it is also a kind of "tradition".... Sadly I dont think there is anyway to solve it for our generation, we have already been brought up how we are, the best thing that could happen is for parents of this generation to show their kids a better way and hope that they dont fall into the same trap

Woodrow
12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
And among many tribal people in Asia too (especially the Dayak in Borneo)...
Alcohol consumption is world wide, it is not limited to any one culture. It seems to be one of the first things people discover. Then again to live in a temperate to tropical climate it is nearly impossible to stop the natural production of alcohol. In the tropics you are going to have wine if you leave any fruit out for over a day or two. Fruit juices will naturally turn into wine if you try to store them without pasteurizing them.

Nearly every tribe in Africa will have their own alcoholic concoction that they drink heavily. Same with the American Indian tribes in South America. I found that in desert areas where fruit is scarce people will make wines out of milk, honey, vegetables, cactus, etc. In my younger non-Islamic past I discovered that you could always find home made date wine in Iran, Iraq and Saudi. I found that many villagers did not believe date wine contained alcohol, because it was not made from grapes.

Now if we are speaking of commercially produced alcohol products I believe the Western World has the largest variety. But, I doubt if there are any nations in which people do not consume alcohol. In the countries where it is restricted or forbidden, is where you find the most home recipes for making it.

The per capita consumption of bought alcoholic drinks can be measured and it is quite high:

The per capita annual consumption by the 30 largest consumers of bought Alcohol is:

#1 Luxembourg: 15.5 litres per capita

#2 France: 14.8 litres per capita

#3 Ireland: 13.5 litres per capita

#4 Hungary: 13.4 litres per capita

#5 Czech Republic: 12.1 litres per capita

#6 Spain: 11.7 litres per capita

#7 Denmark: 11.5 litres per capita

#8 Portugal: 11.4 litres per capita

#9 United Kingdom: 11.2 litres per capita

#10 Austria: 11.1 litres per capita

#11 Switzerland: 10.8 litres per capita

#12 Belgium: 10.7 litres per capita

#13 Germany: 10.2 litres per capita

#14 Australia: 9.8 litres per capita

#15 Netherlands: 9.7 litres per capita

#16 Korea, South: 9.3 litres per capita

#17 Finland: 9.3 litres per capita

#18 Greece: 9.2 litres per capita

#19 New Zealand: 8.9 litres per capita

#20 United States: 8.3 litres per capita

#21 Poland: 8.1 litres per capita

#22 Italy: 8 litres per capita

#23 Canada: 7.8 litres per capita

#24 Slovakia: 7.6 litres per capita

#25 Japan: 7.6 litres per capita

#26 Sweden: 7 litres per capita

#27 Iceland: 6.5 litres per capita

#28 Norway: 6 litres per capita

#29 Mexico: 4.6 litres per capita

#30 Turkey: 1.5 litres per capita

Source:http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/fo...mption-current

Now if we look at the mid eastern countries, for the LEGAL consumption of alcohol:

Afghanistan AFG 0.0

Algeria DZA 0.1

Bahrain BHR 7.0

Cyprus CYP 11.5

Egypt EGY 0.2

Iran, Islamic Rep
IRN 0.0

Iraq IRQ 0.2

Israel ISR 2.5

Jordan JOR 0.3

Kuwait KWT 0.0

Lebanon LBN 3.2

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya LBY 0.0

Morocco MAR 0.4

Oman OMN 0.3

Qatar QAT 4.4

Saudi Arabia SAU 0.0

Syrian Arab Rep SYR 0.5

Tunisia TUN 1.2

Turkey TUR 1.4

United Arab Emirates ARE 0.0

Yemen YEM 0.0

source: http://earthtrends.wri.org/searchabl...n=select_years

The only countries that have no legal consumption are the countries in which it is illegal, so any consumption is illegal and not noted.

The point being is the United States is not the highest per capita user of alcohol and that the use of alcohol is a world wide issue, not limited to any nation or region.

islamirama
12-04-2007, 02:47 PM

w/s
Those who claim "differences of opinion" are either ignorant or looking for some shayd shake to justify their haraam means.

The fatwas of reputable scholars are not "convoluted" but rather based on the Quran and sunnah and a fact of life. Anyone with a decent amount of islamic knowledge will tell you that cigrettes are haraam.

Islam says that your body has a right over you and you can't do anything that harms your body. Allah says do not throw yourself in path of destruction. Prophet (saws) says your body is a LOAN to you and Allah will question you on how you take care of that loan when He takes it back from you.

It's a fact that smoking causes lung cancer, sends your health down the drain, and in essence is nothing more than slow rate suicide. Rather then taking a poison and killing yourself right now, you're smoking to slowly kill yourself over time till your lungs collapse or your heart gives away.

Ruling on smoking

czgibson
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Greetings,
The point of this post was to highlight the problem so rampant in america unlike any other western or eastern nation.
I think the statistics given by Keltoi and Woodrow should put this notion to bed. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience with Americans, I've always found them rather averse to drinking, and I've seen them shocked by the amount people drink in the UK. In a Hollywood film, if a character gets drunk it's usually seen as a major personal disaster, whereas in a British film it's usually presented as being much more ordinary. It's probably right that there's a problematic alcohol culture in the US, but the same is true of lots of countries, as the figures show.

Peace

Cognescenti
12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
This monograph is not journalism. It's not a scientific sociological piece. There are not data. There are no references.

So what is it? It's an opinion piece by Cockburn who works for the Nation :D You can tell where this guy lives politically from his swipe at Bush at the end.

So why did the poster link to this piece?....Why, to insult Americans, of course.

Is there teenage alcohol use? Of course. Does alcoholism exist? Of course. Is there an "alcoholic culture" as Mr X suggest (in an obscenely offensive manner I might add). Of course not. Do you really think American parents don't care about this? American workers have the highest productivity in the world. How could that be if they were all boozed up? If this were the case NASA would have missed the Moon by a couple of hundred thousand miles.

Woodrow posted real data. Mr. X posted an intentionally defamatory hit piece. He T'ed up the ball so Mr. Y could come along and suggest that Islam is the solution to America's problems.

Note one of Mr X's recent thread topics..."Sex trade in Israel". Do you see a pattern? Why was this thread even approved? Was anyone really edified or was it for gratification?

BTW, Mr X can go **** himself, or, as he is living among the Kuffar, perhaps he can come on over to my place and I will edify him.

Trumble
12-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Other countries drink also, no doubt. Italy doesn't even have age limit and even kids drink there. But again the PROBLEM is in the US. Read the article again about American univs/colleges and the whole alcoholic culture in the US.
Sigh.....

I repeat, NOWHERE does the article provide any information regarding other countries to support your claim that THE problem is in the US as opposed to anywhere else. Nobody is disputing the US has a problem, but you have provided no evidence to suggest that problem is worse there than in many other countries. Indeed, considerable evidence to the contrary has been provided.

Got it now? Good.

islamirama
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Sigh.....

I repeat, NOWHERE does the article provide any information regarding other countries to support your claim that THE problem is in the US as opposed to anywhere else. Nobody is disputing the US has a problem, but you have provided no evidence to suggest that problem is worse there than in many other countries. Indeed, considerable evidence to the contrary has been provided.

Got it now? Good.
I don't think you got it buddha belly...

i don't care about other nations. The article talks about this nation and we do have a problem in this nation. Otherwise you wouldn't see groups like MADD and other against drunk driving groups. Other nations may have heavy drinking but we have alcohol abuse and irresponsible drinking from middle school and HS party goers to college life to adults who love bear with everything.

Jayda
12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
hola,

i think in general our culture has become too indulgent and excessive. there is too much selfishness, sex and alcohol pervading our lives. it is difficult to return to moderation in these circumstances but any effort is good...

que Dios te bendiga

Whatsthepoint
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Italy doesn't even have age limit and even kids drink there.
This is not true.

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think you got it buddha belly...

i don't care about other nations. The article talks about this nation and we do have a problem in this nation. Otherwise you wouldn't see groups like MADD and other against drunk driving groups. Other nations may have heavy drinking but we have alcohol abuse and irresponsible drinking from middle school and HS party goers to college life to adults who love bear with everything.
You may not "care about other nations", but you only hate your country, right?

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
That's great advise, you should try it.
Other countries drink also, no doubt. Italy doesn't even have age limit
And where did you get that information? I lived there a year and never saw any non-adults in a drinking establishment.and even kids drink there.
Where, in homes? Tell me expert, where did you see kids drinking? May be you have two friends that keep you fully informed. :D
But again the PROBLEM is in the US. Read the article again about American univs/colleges and the whole alcoholic culture in the US.
I read the article once. That was enough. I found no "New Information". It is as bad as I think it is.
I learn from the kuffars i live among :D
You should continue your learning, there is so much that you are clueless about.
Do you remember Sami? The one that wrote for the hate site and then started his own. I could put you in contact with him. Maybe you could start a hate America site.

islamirama
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
You may not "care about other nations", but you only hate your country, right?
i thought it was a free country? don't you believe in the Bill of rights anymore? :skeleton:

wilberhum
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
i thought it was a free country? don't you believe in the Bill of rights anymore? :skeleton:
It is. If it wasn't they would throw your a$$ on the next international filight. :D

And I would we willing to pay for the oneway ticket. :thumbs_up

islamirama
12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
It is. If it wasn't they would throw your a$$ on the next international filight. :D

And I would we willing to pay for the oneway ticket. :thumbs_up
so why are you crying about it? :rollseyes

aamirsaab
12-04-2007, 06:07 PM
:sl:
Thread locked.
Didn't I say something along the lines of NOT ACTING LIKE CHILDREN a few threads ago? No, wait. I did indeed say it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.