PDA

View Full Version : Imaam ‘Abdullaah Ibn az-Zubayr, Abu Bakr Al-Humaydee

Skillganon
12-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Died 219H: Imaam ‘Abdullaah Ibn az-Zubayr, Abu Bakr Al-Humaydee

AUTHOR:
SOURCE:
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

Author: Mish'al Haddadee [with brief additions] Source: His checking of the book Usool-us-Sunnah His Name and Lineage:He was ‘Abdullaah Ibn az-Zubayr Ibn ‘Eesaa Ibn ‘Abdillaah Ibn Usaamah, Abu Bakr Al-Qurashee, Al-Asadee, Al-Humaydee, Al-Makkee. He was the Shaikh of Al-Haram (in Makkah) and the Author of “al-Musnad.”

His Teachers:
He narrated from Fudayl bin ‘Iyyaad, Sufyaan bin ‘Uyainah – whom he quoted much from –Wakee’, Yahyaa bin ‘Ubayd, Waleed bin Muslim, Ash-Shaafi’ee and others. He heard many ahaadeeth from Sufyaan bin ‘Uyainah, such that Ash-Shaafi’ee said of him: “He memorized ten-thousand ahaadeeth from Sufyaan bin ‘Uyainah.” Imaam Al-Humaydee said: “I sat with Sufyaan bin ‘Uyainah for nineteen years or so.” He is considered one of the greater companions of Ash-Shaafi’ee.

His Students:
His students were many. One of them, Imaam Al-Bukhaaree, narrated from him, as is seen in the very first hadeeth he reports in his Saheeh: “Verily, actions are by intentions….”. Adh-Dhuhlee, the two Raazee’s: Abu Zur’ah and Abu Haatim also narrated from him, as did Abu Bakr Muhammad bin Idrees Al-Makkee.

The Scholars’ Praise for him:
Imaam Ahmad bin Hanbal said: “In our opinion, Al-Humaydee is an Imaam.”

Abu Haatim Ar-Raazee said: “The most authentic of persons reporting from Ibn ‘Uyainah is Al-Humaydee, and he was at the head of the companions of Ibn ‘Uyainah. He was the reliable one, the Imaam.”

Al-Fasawee said of him: “Al-Humaydee narrated to us, and I did not come across someone more sincere to Islaam and its adherents than him.”

Muhammad bin ‘Abdur-Raheem Al-Harawee said: “I came to Makkah in the year 198H, and Sufyaan bin ‘Uyainah had died at the beginning of the year, seven months before we arrived. So I asked who was the best of Ibn ‘Uyainah’s companions. Al-Humaydee was mentioned to me, so I recorded the ahaadeeth of Ibn ‘Uyainah narrated from him.”

Ishaaq bin Raahawaih said: “The Imaams of our time are: Ash-Shaafi’ee, Al-Humaydee and Abu ‘Ubayd.”

‘Alee bin Khalf said: “I heard Al-Humaydee say: ‘As long as I am in the Hijaaz area, and Ahmad bin Hanbal is in Iraq and Ishaaq in Khurasaan, no one will surpass us (here).’”

Al-Haakim said: “When Al-Bukhaaree would find a hadeeth of Al-Humaydee, he would not pass over his narration for someone else’s narration (of the hadeeth).”

Ibn Hibbaan said of him: “He was a person of the Sunnah, possessing nobility and Religion.”

Ibn ‘Adiyy said: “He traveled to Egypt with Ash-Shaafi’ee and was one of the best of people.”

Imaam Al-Humaydee said: “By Allaah, that I fight against those who reject the hadeeth of Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is more beloved to me than fighting against the disbelievers.”

Furthermore, Abu Muhammad Harb Al-Karmaanee, Al-Laalikaa’ee, Ibn Taimiyyah and others would describe him as being an “Imaam of the Sunnah.”

His Books:
The sources for his biography do not state many of the names of his books, as they should, but I found the following mentioned in them:

1. Al-Musnad (which contains his famous treatise on ‘Aqeedah)
2. Ar-Radd ‘alaa Nu’maan
3. At-Tafseer
4. Ad-Dalaa’il

His Death:
Ibn Sa’ad said: “He died in Makkah in 219H, and he was reliable and narrated many hadeeth.” May Allaah have mercy on him.

Sources of His Biography:
His biography can be found in Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa (10/616-621) and Tadhkirat-ul-Huffaadh (2/413-414), both from Imaam Adh-Dhahabee, as well as at-Tahdheeb of al-Mizzee (14/512).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.