/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Baobab

جوري
12-03-2007, 06:43 AM

This is the Tree of Life. What!? you say? But the Tree of Life has leaves on it and it's not on the safari, it's in the center of Animal Kingdom.
Well, yes, and it is also here.

It is the Baobab tree. The Baobab is the Tree of Life. It is considered a sacred tree and is alternatively called Mother by the African people who know her.

Leafless and bare for much of the year, the baobab might be mistaken for dead. But this fascinating tree is very much alive, and is a tremendous resource.

People come to the tree to gather honey, to pick fruit, called Monkey Fruit, for candy and drinks, to strip the bark for baskets and rope, and to use the roots for medicine. The leaves are used in their most common sauce. And, in times of drought, the tree has been uprooted for its source of water.

All kinds of life share in the baobab's wealth. It provides shelter and food to an incredible variety of creatures. Birds make their homes in its hollows, bush babies and fruit bats drink nectar from its large white flowers, baboons feast on its fruit, and giraffes nibble its tender leaves.

The Baobab, a member of the silk-cotton family grows to the height of a large maple tree but its lateral growth makes it one of the largest trees. The trunk can attain a diameter of 30 feet and its large mass of limbs and foliage can often reach 150 feet in diameter.

So, when you see the Tree of Life, whichever Baobab it may be, remember that a lot more people than visit Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom know the true meaning of its name.

source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AHMED_GUREY
12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
:sl:

Giant trees are fascinating:) when i was in Yemen a friend of mine told me at jugdement day they would come to life(like in LOTR) but i forgot what he said afterwards.:D Have to look it up

Thanks sister

:w:

جوري
12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Thank you for reading
do elaborate on LOTR? is that an acronym for something? forgive my ignorance Jazka Allah khyran..

AHMED_GUREY
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM

LOTR: Lord of the Rings:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY

LOTR: Lord of the Rings:D

This one's Treebeard.
His lot are called ents. They are the shepherds of the trees, the guardians of the forest.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-04-2007, 08:52 PM
The first tree seems as if it was carvings of some sort of images.

جوري
12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
it is 'nature made'

-Elle-
12-05-2007, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
The first tree seems as if it was carvings of some sort of images.

you know I thought that too when I first saw it...
*scrolls back up and looks @ pic*

It's kind of like those illusion pictures...hm focus on the detailed parts...you can see some sort of weird animals.

Ok anw,im not making much sense here,lol,great article...subhan'allah...quite amazing.thanks for the share!

Woodrow
12-05-2007, 01:58 AM
without the Baobab the vast African savannas would be much different. the tree is really the life of the plains. Every plains creature including man is Dependant upon it.

جوري
12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
without the Baobab the vast African savannas would be much different. the tree is really the life of the plains. Every plains creature including man is Dependant upon it.
Allah Sob7ano wat3ala has given each region what it needs to live, thirve, palliate and even be pleased with aesthetics.. the fact that this tree grows there to feed, save from drought, give them holistic medicine to denizens in that habitat is amazing, he has left no one behind, the rest truly is up to us...

son7an Allah

north_malaysian
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
that is one huge tree....

thanks for the pics

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!