/* */

PDA

View Full Version : [Discovery] Sliding Rocks

guyabano
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
One of the most interesting mysteries of Death Valley National Park is the sliding rocks at Racetrack Playa (a playa is a dry lake bed). These rocks can be found on the floor of the playa with long trails behind them. Somehow these rocks slide across the playa, cutting a furrow in the sediment as they move.

See here for the complete Story

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
yes, this is a fascinating thing. i was there a few years ago, but didn't get to see any rocks going for a stroll. that would really be something to see!

Woodrow
12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
From what I understand is nobody has ever actually seen the rocks move, the best explanation I have ever heard is that the prevailing winds are blowing the sand and it behind the rocks it piles up along side a line the corresponds to the low pressure area protected by the rock. Very similiar to the wind pattern you see over an airplane wing, which can be made visible with smoke. Here it is made visible with sand particles.

Similar to this but on both sides and not just on the top.

Media Tags are no longer supported

Fishman
12-04-2007, 08:28 PM
:sl:
Further proof that you can infact keep pet rocks...
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
guyabano
12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
and what about 'Microvibrations' which could make the stone move ? Could that be a theory?

Fishman
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
and what about 'Microvibrations' which could make the stone move ? Could that be a theory?
But it is so obvious that they have legs! How else could they have left such perfect sets of invisible footprints!?
:D

Woodrow
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
That is a possibility, but I tend to doubt that would leave such well defined tracks.

If the rocks really do move the best theory seems to be it is caused by the wind. The second most plausible theaory is the rocks do not move, it is the sand that is blown into the track pattern.

I do not think there will be anything conclusive until somebody photographs what is happening as it happens.

Fishman
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If the rocks really do move the best theory seems to be it is caused by the wind. The second most plausible theaory is the rocks do not move, it is the sand that is blown into the track pattern.
Legs must be included in the list of viable theories of how the rocks move.

Contary to popular belief, legists do not think that rocks have two great big pairs of human legs, the real explanation is that they have a set of many tiny legs much like a millipede. This would account for the smoothness of the trail of footprints...

snakelegs
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
But it is so obvious that they have legs! How else could they have left such perfect sets of invisible footprints!?
:D
ya gotta admit it - some rocks are downright friendly...

Keltoi
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
The last theory that I heard was that the strong winds mixed with slippery soil after a rain, combine to push the rocks for the duration of the wind. Of course, that would be strange since this phenomenon doesn't occur in other parts of the world as far as I know. Just one of the wonders of the natural world I guess.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.