/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British hospital turns Muslims’ beds to Makkah

Hashim_507
12-07-2007, 07:35 AM
The hospital also announced that it would provide halal food to Muslim patients and make necessary changes to shower facilities.

Moreover, hospital staff will also undergo training to know how to treat Muslim patients.

"We are committed to providing the highest possible standards of care to every one of our patients and we know that Dewsbury and District Hospital treats a high number of patients from the Muslim community”, said Catherine Briggs, the hospital marton.

According to BBC News, a Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust Spokesman said it wants to improve its service for Muslim patients.

This move included positioning patients’ beds towards the Qibla in Makkah, the direction Muslims face during their daily prayers, if the patient wishes so.

Briggs explained that these decisions were taken following discussions held with Muslim patients.

“We always do our best to listen to our patients and are willing to adapt our nursing practices where possible to help patients uphold their cultural beliefs”, she said.

The hospital’s staff welcomed the idea as Beverly Brook, a nurse, explained: “Although I already knew quite a lot about the Islamic faith, this gave me a greater understanding on how we can make small changes on a daily basis that will really make a difference to our Muslim patients”.

http://islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=64944

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MTAFFI
12-07-2007, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
The hospital also announced that it would provide halal food to Muslim patients and make necessary changes to shower facilities.

Moreover, hospital staff will also undergo training to know how to treat Muslim patients.

"We are committed to providing the highest possible standards of care to every one of our patients and we know that Dewsbury and District Hospital treats a high number of patients from the Muslim community”, said Catherine Briggs, the hospital marton.

According to BBC News, a Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust Spokesman said it wants to improve its service for Muslim patients.

This move included positioning patients’ beds towards the Qibla in Makkah, the direction Muslims face during their daily prayers, if the patient wishes so.

Briggs explained that these decisions were taken following discussions held with Muslim patients.

“We always do our best to listen to our patients and are willing to adapt our nursing practices where possible to help patients uphold their cultural beliefs”, she said.

The hospital’s staff welcomed the idea as Beverly Brook, a nurse, explained: “Although I already knew quite a lot about the Islamic faith, this gave me a greater understanding on how we can make small changes on a daily basis that will really make a difference to our Muslim patients”.

good to hear, thanks for the good news

SATalha
12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Woooooop Woooooooooop Now i dont need to starv after a Friday Night Fight...........iam joking :D

------
12-07-2007, 08:05 PM
:salamext:

They should also include the facility of women doctors seeing to Muslims women, and men doctors seeing to Muslim men.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
12-07-2007, 08:32 PM
So much about intolerance of the West.

------
12-07-2007, 08:33 PM

^^^ Come again?

The_Prince
12-07-2007, 09:57 PM
lol this news report is abit funny............... im in UK-London right now, and me personally if for some reason i ended up in a hospital i wouldnt mind if the bed wasnt facing Makkah, and nor would i ask them to make it face Makkah! and i wouldnt mind if the food wasnt halal, nor would i ask for halal food! nor would i mind if my doctor happened to be female and neither would i ask for a male doctor! and i wouldnt mind if my doctor happened to be non-Muslim and i wouldnt ask for a Muslim doctor neither!

this isnt a Muslim country and i think us Muslims need to realize that, if ME a Muslim finds these things uncomfortable and abit over-the top what do you think the non Muslims will think?

if we Muslims want muslim male doctors for men, and vice versa for women etc, then i think we should go live in a Muslim country....if a christian in a Muslim country was demanding so many christian things like he wanted a priest, a cross, and only christian doctors etc etc i know for a FACT we would say this is a Muslim country, and if you want that go to a christian or western place.

england is a christian secular nation, we are under their laws, so we should respect and follow it, offcourse we can ask for some things here and there, but were asking for SO MUCH.

now i know many will disagree with me, but factually i am correct, the only disagreement will stem from emotional biasness.

snakelegs
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
i agree with you, but it's all about marketing, i think. there is a large enough muslim population in uk to make a considerable market to cater to.

truemuslim
12-07-2007, 10:01 PM
above snakedude ^^^ they are saying for MUSLIM PATIENTS..not all types of patients... anyway.. nice they r really nice...

truemuslim
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
aww so nice...im not in the uk tho but still.

The_Prince
12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
yes for muslim patients, why muslim patients only? were not supposed to be treated above the law, this is UK, not a Muslim country, the law states everyone is treated equally, why do we demand certain priveliges for us only? if we want extra privelages for our religion then we should go live in a Muslim country where it is freely given as a normal thing.

this is the problem, were demanding to be treated differently and get extra needs.

muslims in UK, we have mosques, several halal shops, islamic charities for zakat, Islamic studies, and this is a CHRISTIAN SECULAR NATION, seriously what more could you possibly want? to be able to make athan? to be able to to have 100% sharia? well no you cant do that, because Islam teaches you to respect the laws of the country your living in, so you trying to implement a different law even if it is Islamic isnt allowed, because they welcome you in their country and allow you to practice a faith alien to them, therefore you have NO RIGHT to start imposing your stuff and demanding to be seperated, thats not allowed at all.

a good example is the early Muslims, when Muslims were living in Makkah, Abu Bakr used to recite the Quran loudly and passionatly, this would offend the ppl as they were pagans and had no idea about what he was saying and they felt it was something very alien to them. so they complained, and the prophet heard of this complaint, so he told Abu bakr recite moderatly, not too loud, and not too low, just moderatly which wouldnt cause any problems or offense to the qurayshi pagans.

and this is the example we should take. not demanding everything for us.

in a Muslim country i would be ALL FOR THIS, but sorry, in a non-Muslim country, a christian secular one, it becomes a much much different issue.

snakelegs
12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
prince,
what is wrong with catering to a market? it's just business sense - that's all.
don't forget - hospitals are a business.

~Taalibah~
12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i agree with you, but it's all about marketing, i think. there is a large enough muslim population in uk to make a considerable market to cater to.
I agree with you there. But its nice to see that there is some agreeableness in them concerning Muslims, considering how much hatred there is around today.

The_Prince
12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
prince,
the problem is its causing problems and bad vibes, and i dont want that, especially if its to make a few business men rich! and the second problem is is that MUSLIMS agree with this nonsense! they dont see it from the business angle, theyre looking at it through their own personal views, the business-man is the one looking through business, im speaking to the Muslims who agree with these kind of things.

Amadeus85
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
the problem is its causing problems and bad vibes, and i dont want that, especially if its to make a few business men rich! and the second problem is is that MUSLIMS agree with this nonsense! they dont see it from the business angle, theyre looking at it through their own personal views, the business-man is the one looking through business, im speaking to the Muslims who agree with these kind of things.
It's true that these kind of things bring more fuel to extreme right and islamophobes.

snakelegs
12-07-2007, 10:36 PM
prince, you make a very valid point here. and yes, some see it as nothing more than a gesture of kindness and respect rather than the business angle.
bad vibes - i agree with you.

The_Prince
12-07-2007, 10:42 PM
prince, you make a very valid point here. and yes, some see it as nothing more than a gesture of kindness and respect rather than the business angle.
bad vibes - i agree with you.
you know, i respect the kindness, but sometimes a person needs to know when to just say no thanks but thank you ALOT and i really appreciate it.

ill give you an example, when Muslims conquered jerusalem, the christian leader allowed Umar to pray in a major church, a very nice peaceful-freindly gesture, Umar was the caliph, he declined, because he said he would fear one day Muslims would destroy the Church and build a Mosque over it.

so sometimes you gotta realize when to say thanks, but ill pass, because it will lead to more and more and more and more and make problems for the future.

S_87
12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
:sl:

dewsburys a wicked hospital i used to live round the corner and up the road from there. much staff there is muslim too.

just to make note the muslims didnt demand this, the hospital is offering it, and other things for patients of other religions too. not just muslims

~Taalibah~
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
you know, i respect the kindness, but sometimes a person needs to know when to just say no thanks but thank you ALOT and i really appreciate it.

ill give you an example, when Muslims conquered jerusalem, the christian leader allowed Umar to pray in a major church, a very nice peaceful-freindly gesture, Umar was the caliph, he declined, because he said he would fear one day Muslims would destroy the Church and build a Mosque over it.

so sometimes you gotta realize when to say thanks, but ill pass, because it will lead to more and more and more and more and make problems for the future.
I know what you mean bro of course kindness isnt their main objective.

truemuslim
12-07-2007, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
I know what you mean bro of course kindness isnt their main objective.
their main objective is $$$...loljk

wilberhum
12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Those evil people. They want to make money.
They offer a valuable service for a price.

Can one get more evil that that?

Do you think the diner down the street went into business because they didn't want to see you hungry?

Cognescenti
12-07-2007, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Those evil people. They want to make money.
They offer a valuable service for a price.

Can one get more evil that that?

Do you think the diner down the street went into business because they didn't want to see you hungry?
Capitalism is the worst system...except for all the rest :smile:

chosen
12-08-2007, 04:06 PM
planes have been offering "kosher meals"..hospitals have been offering priest and ministers to speak with...so its about time muslims have gotten the same respect..

Roasted Cashew
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
It's good to hear this news but obviously bigots will use this for their own gain. I say screw them. Bigots will never get happy and I have stopped pleasing all the non-Muslims all the time coz some of them are insincere and purposely make a thing look bad. So Prince, if some bigots make a big deal out of this, don't worry. They will always find something to cry abt. It's nothing new.

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I was born in that hospital. :statisfie
aww:smile:

format_quote Originally Posted by chosen
planes have been offering "kosher meals"..hospitals have been offering priest and ministers to speak with...so its about time muslims have gotten the same respect..

and yes, it is time, they make things for everyone, and now that they make something for muslims, the others think its FOR the muslims, and for kindness, but we all know business..right? :D its all about the $cash$ :D:smile:

kinda like when we go to a hotel in detroit, they have VERRY good service, but the the bill is VEEERRYYY expensive

Cognescenti
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
It's good to hear this news but obviously bigots will use this for their own gain. I say screw them. Bigots will never get happy and I have stopped pleasing all the non-Muslims all the time coz some of them are insincere and purposely make a thing look bad. So Prince, if some bigots make a big deal out of this, don't worry. They will always find something to cry abt. It's nothing new.
Please do post an example of bigotry when you find one that pertains to this story, won't you. You know...an angry mob chanting "Down, Down Caliphate" or "Muslim Go Home!" something like that.

<crickets chirping>

PS..if you don't find any, try looking under all the rocks around you. Maybe there is an Islamophobe or two hiding under one.

barney
12-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I work in the NHS and I know that cultural and spiritual beleifs are high up on the agenda.

No problems about this bed facing from my point of veiw, halal meal options, no problem with that.

I read the newspaper that printed this story and I have to say it was one of those sensationalising , and frankly anti-islamic rants for no good reason.

Roasted Cashew
12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Please do post an example of bigotry when you find one that pertains to this story, won't you.
Ok, look. I don't know of any mob but this is just as stupid. Some answers by non-Muslims on Yahoo Answers Forum regarding this issue when one guy asked: "What do you think about our nurses who have to rearange beds for muslims so that they can face mecca?"

here are some of the answers:

"I would tell the muslims they cannot be treated unless thier beds face the same way as everyone elses...if they dont like it dont have treatment, theres a jolly nice undertaker next door to the hospital that will face you to Mecca should you require it."

"That is ridiculous. Hospitals are built for beds to be in one place. If a Muslim doesn't like it, he can go elsewhere."

"Absolutely stupid to say the least and what is this earth becoming a land of false Prophets that rule by a man made book of nothing. Give the nurses a break for a change they are the ones who help save lives including science and doctors who are trained professionals and not some prophet from the dark past of history."

"Our nurses are just that, nurses, not bloody maids for the spoiled and overindulged religio nut jobs."

I'm sure there's pretty much more non-Muslim whining out there. They will never stop *****in and moaning. Take my word.

wilberhum
12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, look. I don't know of any mob but this is just as stupid. Some answers by non-Muslims on Yahoo Answers Forum regarding this issue when one guy asked: "What do you think about our nurses who have to rearange beds for muslims so that they can face mecca?"

here are some of the answers:

"I would tell the muslims they cannot be treated unless thier beds face the same way as everyone elses...if they dont like it dont have treatment, theres a jolly nice undertaker next door to the hospital that will face you to Mecca should you require it."

"That is ridiculous. Hospitals are built for beds to be in one place. If a Muslim doesn't like it, he can go elsewhere."

"Absolutely stupid to say the least and what is this earth becoming a land of false Prophets that rule by a man made book of nothing. Give the nurses a break for a change they are the ones who help save lives including science and doctors who are trained professionals and not some prophet from the dark past of history."

"Our nurses are just that, nurses, not bloody maids for the spoiled and overindulged religio nut jobs."

I'm sure there's pretty much more non-Muslim whining out there. They will never stop *****in and moaning. Take my word.
No wonder you got a neg rep.

You make the milk of human kindness go sour.

Roasted Cashew
12-15-2007, 01:17 AM
No wonder you got a neg rep.

You make the milk of human kindness go sour.
Well, I didn't write those answers. These are the answers of non-Muslims. I just quoted them and pasted it here.

By the way, that neg rep was already there before I even posted here. It was due to a couple of fellow Muslims getting offended by some harsh quotes on Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) which in fact I was quoting myself. How could they imagine I wrote such things. Some misunderstanding, I guess.
Why are you after me.:hmm:

wilberhum
12-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Well, I didn't write those answers. These are the answers of non-Muslims. I just quoted them and pasted it here.

By the way, that neg rep was already there before I even posted here. It was due to a couple of fellow Muslims getting offended by some harsh quotes on Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) which in fact I was quoting myself. How could they imagine I wrote such things. Some misunderstanding, I guess.
Why are you after me.:hmm:
You had best learn not to quote things that you don't agree with.

Roasted Cashew
12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
You had best learn not to quote things that you don't agree with.
A misunderstanding is what I call it. I wanted other Muslims to help me refute such claims. Why would I be afraid to quote something I disagree with? We are here to discuss stuff right?

genki
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
good to hear!

wilberhum
12-15-2007, 01:28 PM
A misunderstanding is what I call it. I wanted other Muslims to help me refute such claims.
Well I would guess that is not what you communicated.
Why would I be afraid to quote something I disagree with?
Well just make sure that you make it clear that you disagree with it.
We are here to discuss stuff right?
Well that's why I'm here.
Sounds like you started off on the wrong foot.

Don't give up too quick, it is fun here.

Resigned
12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Just make sure you put on your steel underwear before posting...

Ali.
12-15-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507

Glad to hear the good news. :)

wilberhum
12-15-2007, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Resigned
Just make sure you put on your steel underwear before posting...
A lot of truth in that statement. :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Resigned
12-16-2007, 12:03 AM
prince,
Actually, no, there is no business being catered to. At least as I understand it, medical care in the UK is not the “for profit” business it is in the U.S. where hospitals are privately managed. Medical care in the UK is the State run kind of affair. If I am mistaken about this, I’ll gladly be corrected.

snakelegs
12-16-2007, 12:49 AM
oh - well, in that case, they are just respecting a certain segment of the population which is large enough to accomodate.

transition?
12-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Also
Don't ALL citizens pay taxes for medical care?

Are there a certain specified tasks nurses are supposed to do, as in are there things they get paid for specifically/limitations on what they are required to do?
and if they do it on their own, it's by their own volition. They are just being nice.

Roasted Cashew
12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you started off on the wrong foot.

Who said I'm giving up. I'm just starting. I did comunicate it properly and got pretty good rebutals for those claims. I clearly don't know why they got it wrong. Would you do me a favour and give me some + rep. It really sucks looking at that -ve there.

Roasted Cashew
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Who said I'm giving up. I'm just starting. I did comunicate it properly and got pretty good rebutals for those claims. I clearly don't know why they got it wrong. Would you do me a favour and give me some + rep. It really sucks looking at that -ve there.

I didn't realise that it was already postive before posting it. Thanks to whoever reped me. I'm glad to see that negative gone. People would have thought I was some ...............!

S_87
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
oh - well, in that case, they are just respecting a certain segment of the population which is large enough to accomodate.
youre wrong :)
while the news highlighted muslims being faced to makkah it is infact any person who is dying is helped with their last religious wishes.

so this is NOT just for muslims!

Resigned
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
youre wrong :)
while the news highlighted muslims being faced to makkah it is infact any person who is dying is helped with their last religious wishes.

so this is NOT just for muslims!
Perhaps you could point out my mistake. The article makes no mention of a person dying, it only mentions “seriously ill”. Also, the article makes no mention of “infact…” as you claim.

The article only addresses the accommodations made for muslim patients.

S_87
12-16-2007, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Resigned
Perhaps you could point out my mistake. The article makes no mention of a person dying, it only mentions “seriously ill”. Also, the article makes no mention of “infact…” as you claim.

The article only addresses the accommodations made for muslim patients.
yeh duh very ill meaning they may not think they have much time left.

and they are providing for people of all cultural beliefs.

mind you dewsbury hospital already does that, they have top praying facilites. for muslims, jews and christians. i cant remember if they had for hindus, i dont recall seeing sucha room :?

Muezzin
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable. A single Muslim patient's bed is turned around and certain people start arguing on an internet forum over it as if they've found a corpse in their kitchen.

I wonder how such blinkered knuckleheads deal with day to day things like headaches or smelly public toilets.

Anyway, the news is nice to hear about and was very kind and considerate of the staff.

H4RUN
12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
As glad as it makes me to read that there is an understanding forming between races and cultures, but unless i've missed something, why would you want the beds to face Makkah? I'm pretty sure i was once advised to spin my bed around because it was facing Makkah, therefore my feet were pointing in that direction...a sign of disrespect?...

Muezzin
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
As glad as it makes me to read that there is an understanding forming between races and cultures, but unless i've missed something, why would you want the beds to face Makkah? I'm pretty sure i was once advised to spin my bed around because it was facing Makkah, therefore my feet were pointing in that direction...a sign of disrespect?...
The thought crossed my mind too, but the article says it was by the patient's request.

Ah well. It's still good will.

Oh, also, to clarify - this is news story concerns the UK. Healthcare in the UK is provided by the National Health Service, rather than being privately funded like in the US. Private healthcare is available in the UK, but the hospital in question is NHS in nature.

qassy!
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

They should also include the facility of women doctors seeing to Muslims women, and men doctors seeing to Muslim men.
Salam Sister

The doctor is there to help you does it really matter what gender he/she is?

lol this news report is abit funny............... im in UK-London right now, and me personally if for some reason i ended up in a hospital i wouldnt mind if the bed wasnt facing Makkah, and nor would i ask them to make it face Makkah! and i wouldnt mind if the food wasnt halal, nor would i ask for halal food! nor would i mind if my doctor happened to be female and neither would i ask for a male doctor! and i wouldnt mind if my doctor happened to be non-Muslim and i wouldnt ask for a Muslim doctor neither!

this isnt a Muslim country and i think us Muslims need to realize that, if ME a Muslim finds these things uncomfortable and abit over-the top what do you think the non Muslims will think?

if we Muslims want muslim male doctors for men, and vice versa for women etc, then i think we should go live in a Muslim country....if a christian in a Muslim country was demanding so many christian things like he wanted a priest, a cross, and only christian doctors etc etc i know for a FACT we would say this is a Muslim country, and if you want that go to a christian or western place.

england is a christian secular nation, we are under their laws, so we should respect and follow it, offcourse we can ask for some things here and there, but were asking for SO MUCH.

now i know many will disagree with me, but factually i am correct, the only disagreement will stem from emotional biasness.

well said bruv serious totally agree

prince,
lol I agree with price so much!!

Hospitals in the UK are not a business nor they can be there in debt 50 BILLIOn!
+
They don't charge

Lina
12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
That's nice.

snakelegs
12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
Salam Sister

yes, to some people it does matter a great deal, unless of course, it's an emergency.

Malaikah
12-28-2007, 02:22 AM

Mashaallah this is great news. It's always good to see people being understanding of the needs of others. :thumbs_up

format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
Yes, it does matter, I would much rather be seen by a female doctor than by a male, especially since they have to ask very personal question sometimes and examine a patients body.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.