/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I've Just Got A Quick Question.

DT_For_Life
12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Do the colors red and/or blue have any significance in the Qur'an? If so, what is the significance and/or what do they symbolize? I ask this question because I have to write an essay about the religious conflicts in the movie "Not Without My Daughter" for my AP English class and I think there is some significance of those colors in the movie and I am wondering if that relates in any way to Islam. Thank you for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey. Welcome :)

I don't think they have any relevance or any religious basis, sorry..

Here's a good link though, which might give you a good introduction on what Islam and the Qur'an is;

http://islamreligion.com
http://beconvinced.com

Thanks for your time!

Peace.

DT_For_Life
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Okay. Well I heard that red and blue (along with green) are the main colors in Islamic art. Is there any truth/significance in that?

Thank you, by the way.

- Qatada -
12-08-2007, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DT_For_Life
Okay. Well I heard that red and blue (along with green) are the main colors in Islamic art. Is there any truth/significance in that?

Thank you, by the way.

According to Islam, we are permitted and in some cases encouraged to follow our culture (when this culture promotes good to yourself and others), so long as this culture does not lead to disobeying God.

Therefore the colors red, blue and green may be used a great deal in Islamic art - and there is nothing wrong with using these colors. Therefore if one person uses these colors because he/she likes them - then sure, why not use them?

About the color green specifically, i think there may be some form of basis with the color green since it reflects nature. However, wearing green or using the color green will not be a source of extra reward - it is merely something God has made for mankind to enjoy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DT_For_Life
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Okay, thank you, I am not a Muslim and have had very little exposure to that religion so I just wouldn't know these things. I am Christian, and I know that sometimes in the bible the color white is taken to symbolize purity and salvation... So I was just wondering if the colors red and blue had any significance similar to that type of symbolism in the Islamic religion.

- Qatada -
12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Don't worry about it :) If i ever find anything though, I'll be sure to post back.. but right now, I'm unaware of these colors having any significance at a religious level.

Thanks for your time, if you still have more questions - please don't be afraid to ask!

Peace.

DT_For_Life
12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Thank you very much, you are very kind.

'Abd al-Baari
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
:sl:

Regarding the colour green...Allah says in the Quran regarding the people of Jannah:-

018.031 For them will be Gardens of Eternity; beneath them rivers will flow; they will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold, and they will wear green garments of fine silk and heavy brocade: They will recline therein on raised thrones. How good the recompense! How beautiful a couch to recline on!

But as bro Qatada said wearing green or using the color green will not be a source of extra reward

- Qatada -
12-08-2007, 06:33 PM
:salamext:

Thanks bro Abdullah! :D DT_for_life, anytime mate! :) :thumbs_up

The Ruler
12-08-2007, 06:36 PM
The first flag of Islam was white in colour.

Woodrow
12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I have a little knowledge of art history and to be honest the dominant colors for art in any culture are more due to the availability of pigments.

It is fairly recent in art history that people have been able to buy pre made pre mixed paints. Not very long ago artists had to make there own carrier media and pigments. the French artists invented mayonaise as a paint media and many early old paintings are painted with colored mayonaise.

so it is with the Arabic world. The Arabic world used the pigments that were available in the region. Yellow came from saffron, Blue came from a shell fish found in the Mediterranean, the reds and browns came from many Mineral ozides found in the region. Red and Blue became popular because of availability.

DT_For_Life
12-08-2007, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>
:sl:
But as bro Qatada said wearing green or using the color green will not be a source of extra reward

Oh yes, I know this. But I was just asking if there was any symbolism or anything like that with the colors red and blue. (that would be very odd if one who wore green was rewarded over one who did not. haha)

Woodrow
12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Oh yes, I know this. But I was just asking if there was any symbolism or anything like that with the colors red and blue. (that would be very odd if one who wore green was rewarded over one who did not. haha)
There does not seem to be any symbolism in Islam for the colors. The pre-Islamic Arabs had a preference for them, but I believe that was based mostly upon availability.

mariam.
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
it is recorded by Ahmad, Abu Daw'ud, andTirmizhi on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas that the Prophet, peace be upon him,said: "Wear white clothes, for these are your best clothes, and enshroudyour dead in them." Tirmizhi considers it a sound hadith.

peace

------
12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
:salamext:

The Healing colours of Friday Prayer

muslim1
12-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank you, by the way.
Well, It is mentioned in the Quaan that people in Paradise will wear green silky clothes (of course not like that on earth) if this will help you in your research. :thumbs_up

In general, Islam doesnt pay such much attention to clothes and things worn by men of religion like in Chrsitianity, cuz theres no theocracy in Islam.

Good luck in ur research :):thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.