/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

A_Way_Of_Life
12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Is it ever too late to repent and turn to Allah (SWT) no matter what I have done?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Post Approved

- Qatada -
12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
:salamext:

Here's a really good link on repentance, aswell as questions which people have asked with answers; :)

http://islamtoday.com/show_sub_secti...9&sub_cat_id=0

crayon
12-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Never. You could have committed the biggest sin, which is shirk, and still repent. As long as your repentance is sincere, then it will be accepted inshallah.:)

Salam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
12-09-2007, 05:29 PM
And by never I mean that it's never too late to repent.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

A man might get tired after continuously being asked for favours from those of an ill nature, but Allaah never tires, though you may ask him a billion times...

Greatness of Allah

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) described the greatness of Allaah in the most beautiful way:

"He is controlling the affairs of all the kingdoms. He commands and prohibits, creates and gives provision, and gives death and gives life. He raises and lowers peoples status, alternates night and day, gives days (good and not so good) to men by turns, and causes nations to rise and fall, so that one nation vanishes and another emerges. His command and decree are carried out throughout the heavens and on earth, above it and below it, in the oceans and in the air. He has knowledge of all things and knows the number of all things. He hears all voices, and does not mistake one for another; He hears them all, in all the different languages and with all their varied requests and pleas. No voice distracts Him from hearing another, He does not confuse their requests, and He never tires of hearing the pleas of those in need. He sees all that is visible, even the walk of a black ant across a solid rock in the darkest night.

The unseen is visible to Him, and secrets are known to Him Whosoever is in the heavens and on earth begs of Him (its needs from Him). Every day He has a matter to bring forth (such as giving honour to some, disgrace to some, life to some, death to some, etc.)! [al-Rahmaan 55:29 interpretation of the meaning]. He forgives sins, eases worries, relieves distress, helps the defeated person back on his feet, makes the poor rich, guides the one who is astray and confused, fulfils the needs of the desperate, feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, conceals faults, and calms fears. He raises the status of some and lowers the status of others Even if all the inhabitants of heaven and earth, the first and the last of them, mankind and jinn alike, were to be as pious as the most pious among them, this would not increase His sovereignty in the slightest; if they all, the first and the last of them, mankind and jinn alike, were to be as rebellious as the most rebellious among them, this would not decrease His sovereignty in the slightest. If everything in heaven and on earth, the first and the last of them, mankind and jinn, living and dead, animate and inanimate, were to stand in one place and ask of Him, and He were to give them everything that they asked for, thiswould not decrease what He has by even an atoms weight.

He is the First, before Whom there is nothing, and the Last, after Whom there is nothing, may He be blessed and exalted. He is the Most deserving of being remembered, the Most deserving of being worshipped, the Most deserving of being thanked. He is the Most Compassionate of kings, the Most Generous of those who are asked He is the King Who has no partner or associate, the One who has no rival, the Self-Sufficient Master, Who has no son, the Most High, and there is none like unto Him. Everything will perish save His face [al-Qasas 28:88 interpretation of the meaning], and everything will vanish except His sovereignty He will not be obeyed except by His permission, and He will not be disobeyed except with His knowledge. He is obeyed, so He shows His appreciation, and He is disobeyed, so he forgives. Every punishment on His part is justice, and every blessing from Him is a favour. He is the closest of witnesses and the nearest of protectors. He seizes people by their forelocks, records their deeds and decrees the appointed time for all things. Hearts conceal nothing from Him, for secrets are known to Him. His gift is a word and His punishment is a word: Verily, His Command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, Be! and it is. [Yaa-Seen 36:82 interpretation of the meaning]. (Adapted from al-Waabil al-Sayib, p. 125)"

http://www.islamawareness.net/Allah/greatness.html

aadil77
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Never. You could have committed the biggest sin, which is shirk, and still repent. As long as your repentance is sincere, then it will be accepted inshallah.

Salam.
I thought every sin is forgiven except shirk

crayon
12-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Not if you repent from it. Otherwise no one could convert to islam, could they? :P

Every sin is forgiven (if the person does not repent from it) other than shirk.

And Allah knows best. Salam.

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Not if you repent from it. Otherwise no one could convert to islam, could they? :P

Every sin is forgiven (if the person does not repent from it) other than shirk.

And Allah knows best. Salam.
Yes every sin except shirk sister,

when you convert to Islam a new page is turned a fresh clean one, you are starting from scratch, now after that if you commit shirk, you have serious issues that are not easy to deal with,

remember shirk can sometimes be committed unintentionally, there are various different forms of shirk.

crayon
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, definitely sister, the thing the prophet warned most about was riya'a, or hidden shirk, which is the most dangerous kind of all, as the person doesn't usually even know that they're committing it.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaah

even shirk is forgiven UNLESS YOU DIE UPON IT.

Die with laa ilaaha illallaah on your lips, and every sin can be forgiven, including past shirk...

Allahu knows best, Assalamu Alaikum

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

even shirk is forgiven UNLESS YOU DIE UPON IT.

Die with laa ilaaha illallaah on your lips, and every sin can be forgiven, including past shirk...

Allahu knows best, Assalamu Alaikum
Sorry it's not that i don't believe you bhaiya, but post the dhaleel for future reference inshaAllah

Walaykum Salaam warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

- Qatada -
12-09-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Sorry it's not that i don't believe you bhaiya, but post the dhaleel for future reference inshaAllah

All sins, even polytheism, are forgiven with sincere repentance.

Allah says:

“Say:‘O my servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of Allah’s Mercy. Truly, Allah forgives all sins. Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar 39: 53]

Pure Imaan
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Brother listen to the lecture 'Oh Allah, Forgive Me' by Shiekh Yasir Qadhi and it will leave you with your answer and with tears in your eyes, the lecture is brilliant mashallah, may Allah (swt) bestow wonderous blessings upon brother Yasir Qadhi, that I advise everyone to listen to it, it is seriously brilliant. Allah (swt) is incredibly Merciful, just SOOOO incredibly Merciful. Do not take Allah (swt) attributes lightly akhi. I remember the words from the lecture but it is better if you listen to it, I really recommend it.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...orgive-me.html

Click on the above link and the website for the lecture will be there inshallah

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
All sins, even polytheism, are forgiven with sincere repentance.

Allah says:

“Say:‘O my servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of Allah’s Mercy. Truly, Allah forgives all sins. Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar 39: 53]
Hmm, that was quick, i can imagine you going through hadith books infront of the pc, jazakAllah FOR LINK. Is that your site? They write in the same font as you..

------
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...sir-qadhi.html

IbnAbdulHakim
12-09-2007, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat

How can we repent from shirk?

Question:
Will Allah forgive us for syirik? Can we repent from syirik? How do we repent. Is there any special prayers we must offer (any duas)?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Shirk is the greatest of sins, because Allaah has told us that He will not forgive the one who does not repent to Him from it, but in the case of lesser sins the matter is subject to His will: if He wills, He will forgive the one who meets Him with that sin unrepented for, and if He wills, He will punish him. This means that we should fear shirk greatly, as it is so serious before Allaah.

Fath al-Majeed, p. 58.

Hence we must repent from all kinds of shirk, whether it is major shirk or minor shirk. If a person repents sincerely then Allaah will accept his repentance and forgive him his sins.

After mentioning shirk in the verse in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who invoke not any other ilaah (god) along with Allaah”
[al-Furqaan 25:68]

and stating that its people will abide forever in Hell, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:68-70]

Repentance from shirk means giving it up and submitting to Allaah alone, regretting one's neglect of Allaah’s rights and resolving never to go back to it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven”

[al-Anfaal 8:38]

“If they cease” means, give up their kufr, by submitting to Allaah alone with no partner or associate. Tafseer al-Sa’di.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam destroys that which came before it” – i.e., of sins. Narrated by Muslim 121.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that the gate of repentance remains open so long at the death rattle has not reached a person’s throat. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will accept His slave’s repentance so long as the death rattle has not yet reached his throat.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3537; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1425.

Whoever commits major shirk that puts a person beyond the pale of Islam must repent sincerely from that, put his actions straight and correct his intention. It is also prescribed for him to do ghusl after repenting, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded Qays ibn ‘Aasim to do that when he became Muslim. (Narrated by Ahmad, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi and al-Nasaa’i; classed as saheeh by Ibn al-Sakan.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/317

With regard to minor shirk, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against it, fearing that his ummah might fall into it. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The thing I fear most for you is minor shirk.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 23119. al-Albaani said in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (951): its isnaad is jayyid). And he said: “Shirk among you is more subtle than the sound of the footsteps of an ant on a rock. Shall I not tell you of something which, if you do it, it will take that away from you, both minor and major forms of it. Say: Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika an ushrika bika wa ana a’lam wastaghfiruka lima laa a’lam (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from associating anything with You knowingly, and I seek Your forgiveness for that of which I am unaware).”

Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2876.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...=eng&txt=shirk

------
12-09-2007, 06:29 PM

Jazaak Allaah Khayr for the link.

A_Way_Of_Life
12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
:sl:

Thanks for the reply's everyone:smile:

I have two more questions I hope can be answered, Insha-Allah.

Can a person who does a sin countless times still repent too?

Can a person still be guided if he is sincere and wants to be guided?
Will it ever be too late to have the seal removed from his heart, eyes and ears?

Pure Imaan
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Akhi, listen to the lecture and you will have all of your questions answered and you will be absolutely amazed and in awe of Allah's (swt) Mercy

A_Way_Of_Life
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok, I will listen to it, Insha-Allah.:D

- Qatada -
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A_Way_Of_Life
:sl:

Thanks for the reply's everyone:smile:

I have two more questions I hope can be answered, Insha-Allah.

Can a person who does a sin countless times still repent too?

:wasalamex

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (Peace be upon him), from among the things he reports from his Lord (mighty and sublime be He), is that he said:

A servant [of Allah's] committed a sin and said: O Allah, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for them. Then he sinned again and said: O Lord, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for them. Then he sinned again and said: O Lord, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for sins. Do what you wish, for I have forgiven you.

It was related by Muslim (also by al-Bukhari).

It is therefore important to know what true repentance entails. Sincere repentance has the following conditions:

1. The person must recognize that he or she has committed a sin and truly regret having done so.

2. The person must have a sincere resolve never to commit the sin again.

3. The person must turn to Allah in humility and ask for forgiveness.

4. If the sin had caused harm to someone else, the person must make every attempt to redress the harm.

This does not mean that if the person falls weak and returns to the same sin in the future, his or her former repentance is null and void. What is needed is a serious commitment in the heart never to commit the sin again. The doors to repentance are always open.

http://islamtoday.com/show_sub_secti...9&sub_cat_id=0

So yeah, even if a person sins continuously - so long as they repent and don't give up of Allah's Mercy. And whenever repenting, intend not to do the sin again - then Allah will be willing to forgive them. If they continue sinning without repenting, then this is much more harmful than never repenting.

Can a person still be guided if he is sincere and wants to be guided?
Will it ever be too late to have the seal removed from his heart, eyes and ears?

The more you distance away from Allah, the more harder it may be to return to Him because of what you mentioned. This is why you'll find that those who do really evil sins drown in them and if it wasn't for their sincerity and trust in Allah, they would remain misguided. This is why those who do less sins are more likely to return back to Allah more easily, because they have less sins and barriers to return back to Allah with.

Allaah Almighty says (translation of the meaning):

“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

There is also a hadith qudsi which states that;

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

All of mankind is astray except those who take them steps towards Allah, in sincerity and with the intention of searching for the truth. Then once they turn to Allah for that guidance and ask Him of it - then He is the One who guides the hearts. And those who are sincere in wanting to turn away from Allah, and have the intention that they want to be rebellious against Him - even when the truth becomes clear and manifest to them - then they are lead astray, while they throw themselves into destruction while they perceive it not.

This is explained in the Qur'an when Allah says:

By the night when it covers
And [by] the day when it appears
And [by] He who created the male and female,
Certainly, your efforts and deeds are diverse (different in aims and purposes);

As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah and fears Him,
And believes in the best [reward],
We will make smooth for him the path of ease (goodness).

But he who is greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient.
And denies the best [reward],
We will make smooth for him the path for evil;

And what will his wealth benefit him when he goes down (in destruction).

Truly! Ours it is (to give) guidance,

And truly, unto Us (belong) the last (Hereafter) and the first (this world).

Therefore I have warned you of a Fire blazing fiercely (Hell);
None shall enter it save the most wretched,
Who denies and turns away.

But the righteous one will avoid it -
[He] who gives [from] his wealth to purify himself

And not [giving] for anyone who has [done him] a favor to be rewarded

But only seeking the countenance of his Lord, Most High.

He surely will be pleased (when he will enter Paradise).

[Qur'an Surah Layl (the Night) 92]

If you are sincere in wanting to be guided, Allah will help you earn His pleasure and reward. Whereas if you aren't sincere, then you will go astray and cause harm to yourself.

When Iblis/satan/shaytan disobeyed Allaah, he said;

[Iblees] said, "My Lord, because You have put me in error, I will surely make [disobedience] attractive to them on earth, and I will mislead them all

"Except Your chosen, (guided) slaves among them." (mukhliseen)*

(Allah) said: "This is the Way which will lead straight to Me."

Indeed, My servants - no authority will you have over them, except those who follow you of the deviators.

[Qur'an 15: 39-42]

*The word in that verse is mukhliseen, which comes from the word Ikhlaas - which means sincerity. It is clear from the verse that satan/iblis will mislead the servants of Allah except those who are sincere to Him.

Shaytan hates it when you repent to Allah, and he will attempt to beautify a sinful act while making you remember that Allah is the Most Merciful - however once you commit that sin, you will feel bad and shaytan will make you feel helpless to the extent where he will say that you're too sinful to repent and gain Allah's Mercy.

But know that this is a great trick from shaytan, continue asking Allah for forgiveness since all of the children of Adam sin. Have a balanced feeling of love, hope and fear. This is healthy because it helps you to avoid sin, aswell as hope for Allah's Mercy if you ever did fall into it.

Like everyone else said, listen to the lecture insha Allah. :)

And Allah knows best.

A_Way_Of_Life
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
The video is not working.imsad

Pure Imaan
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Why don't you try downloading the lecture akhi and listen to it on your comp, vaia Windows Media Player, RealPlayer etc

zena_a
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
i think its never too late

zena_a
12-13-2007, 08:46 AM
sry. i meant i think its never too late to repent. try and do as much praying and dua as you can for forgiveness and then its left up to allah subhanwata'ala

islamiii
12-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Muslim :: Book 37 : Hadith 6663
Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying that a man killed ninety-nine persons and then he began to make an inquiry whether there was any way left for him for repentance. He came to a monk and asked him about that, and he said: There is no chance for repentance for you. He killed the monk also and then began to make an inquiry and moved from one village to another village where there lived pious persons, and as he had covered some distance, he was overtaken by death, but he managed to crawl upon his chest (to the side nearer to the place where the pious men lived). He died and then there was a dispute between the angels of mercy and the angels of punishment and (when it was measured) he was found to be nearer to the village where pious persons were living equal to the Space of a span and he was thus included among them.

islamiii
12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Muslim :: Book 37 : Hadith 6611
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Allah is more pleased with the repentance of His servant when he turns penitently towards Him than one of you would be on finding the lost camel.

Muslim :: Book 37 : Hadith 6615
'Abdullah reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Allah is more pleased with the repentance of a believing man.

A_Way_Of_Life
12-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Thank's for the help evryone.:smile:

ikaj
12-26-2007, 07:13 AM
angels of mercy and the angels of punishment ...

sorry for my lack of knowledge..but could someone explain the role of these angels? I thought only Allah decides upon mercy or punishment what are the roles of these angels that were mentioned in one of the previous posts?

munssif
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Volume 4, Book 56, Number 676:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "Amongst the men of Bani Israel there was a man who had murdered ninety-nine persons. Then he set out asking (whether his repentance could be accepted or not). He came upon a monk and asked him if his repentance could be accepted. The monk replied in the negative and so the man killed him. He kept on asking till a man advised to go to such and such village. (So he left for it) but death overtook him on the way. While dying, he turned his chest towards that village (where he had hoped his repentance would be accepted), and so the angels of mercy and the angels of punishment quarrelled amongst themselves regarding him. Allah ordered the village (towards which he was going) to come closer to him, and ordered the village (whence he had come), to go far away, and then He ordered the angels to measure the distances between his body and the two villages. So he was found to be one span closer to the village (he was going to). So he was forgiven."

saj1985
01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Bismillah - In the Name of ALLAH, the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate.

My brother even if you do a million things wrong, (not saying you should or that you do)
the Almighty Allah will forgive you,
as long as you are sincere and true in your repentance.

but Shirk will not be forgiven,
even if you do a million good deeds,
your repentance will be of no avail.

i mean for example some muslims read horoscopes,
yet they do not realise they are committing shirk.

Shaykh Ahmad Ali, from Bradford, England.
he has a bayaan (talk) called Tawheed & Shirk.

I suggest you try and get a copy of that and listen to it,
is very beneficial.

noorseeker
01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Thats the beauty of islam, we are always given chances after chances

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.