/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

nebula
12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
hi salaamalakum

I do boxing with my friends usually every friday at his house and well im pretty good at it.. and i was thinking of doing it professionaly because i really do enjoy it alot.. is it allowed? my intentions are just for fun really.. its a game..

is it allowed?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
qassy!
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Slam Bruv

I **think** it is allowed, nothing against it im not sure. Want to be the next Amir Kahn :)?

EDIT: I mean if you think musllms play professional cricket, and i think it is halah

Hrmm....i would like to know 2, because Im thinking of going professional with cricket as well

Jazaa Kalah

------
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
:salamext:

Boxing and Islam

jzcasejz
12-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Wa'alaykum Salaam

Check this out: http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/272...ing-sport.html

And ermm, around a week ago, our college had a lil' Islamic conference... and this revert Brother came round who's a boxer. Someone after the conference asked him on advice on making it to Pro-Boxing - and the Brother replied:

"Don't be a fool
Stay in school
Unless you wanna get knocked out
Like Anthony Small
"

^ Don't ask me why I posted that but... hope this helps Bro.

BTW - anyone saw the Ricky Hatton match? :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Al Aqwa
12-09-2007, 02:22 PM
personally i wouldnt think about going into any sport, i used to like football me, got quite good, i could do loads of tricks, fast, fit, i had everything, just needed a bit of experience and a bit of hard work, and Allaahualim, i could have been there, but then Islam came over me, since then, i have lost that desire,

just saying because Allaah removed that desire from me, for the best, we shouldnt imitate the kaffir and get into these pointless sports, what at the end of the day will you achieve? get me? its completely pointless, everything you do in this life, should be in preparation for the next Inshaa'Allaah...

my opinion, and Allaah knows best

Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rehmatullaah

The Ruler
12-09-2007, 02:47 PM
:sl:

we shouldnt imitate the kaffir and get into these pointless sports,
I'm not so sure how that comes into this :-).

The Prophet (saw) encouraged sports such as horse-rding, archery, swimming and racing. [He raced with his wife Ayesha (ra)].

Ali (ra) said: "Minds get tired as do bodies, so treat them with humour" and "Refresh your minds from time to time, for a tired mind becomes blind."

Since you'd like to box for 'fun' to relax your mind and to remain fit physically, I don't see any harm in it.

The Prophet (saw) once did wrestle with a non-muslim once but only because he (saw) was challenged to prove himself a Messenger of Allah. Thus it doesn't suggest encouragement.

And besides, the only sports he (saw) prohibited were dice games and card games.

:w:

Tania
12-09-2007, 07:17 PM
In the general section there is a thread about ninjabis which learn to fight. If for them its allowed, i don't see why you wouldn't learn :-[

Kittygyal
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Assalamualikum.
Boxing clearly goes against the teaching of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), 'It is narrated from Abu Hurayrah (Radi Allahu anhu), who said that the Beloved Messenger of Allaah (Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa Sallam) said, that when any (one) of you who fights, he should prevent from (hitting) the face, because Allaah the Almighty has created the human from His best beauty.'

[Mishqat al Masabih, 306, Qasamat]

We see that none should strike the face, even when performing Jihad. The face is created from the Beauty of the Almighty, and reflects in every face. Therefore, it would niether be permissable, to be engaged in a sport such as boxing, where the face is struck, or is stricken so often, that it spoils the way how one looks.Islam’s position on sports and games is determined by weighing and comparing all relevant benefits and disadvantages. If there are tangible benefits in a sport or game, then it is deemed to be permissible, or even recommended; if, however, there is more harm than benefit to be accrued from a sport, then such as sport may very well be considered forbidden. Also, while comparing benefits and disadvantages, Shari’ah lays greater emphasis on the removal of any perceived harm over any presumable benefits.

Wrestling, during the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him), involved using physical fitness and skill to overcome an opponent; such skills were, and are, quite desirable, or even essential, for the purpose of self-defense. Also, training to fine tune or build muscles is encouraged. Wrestling falls under this category.

Professional boxing, as practiced today, is altogether different. First of all, it is rooted in a tradition completely repugnant to Islamic norms and, therefore, repulsive and unacceptable. Its analogy is not with wrestling, which is permitted because of its physical benefits; but it is rather more analogous with abhorrent games and pastimes such as bull fighting and cockfighting, which are condemned by Islam.

Professional boxing dates back to the American slave trade. At that time, slave masters would pit their largest slaves against one another in bare-knuckled fights to near-death and place wagers on the outcomes. Clearly, the only “benefit” that was derived from slave fighting was the perverse satiation of the slave masters’ carnal pleasures. Ultimately, boxing is based on the sadistic notion of deriving pleasure in viewing the suffering of fellow creatures.

Further, as practiced today, boxing involves administering punches to an opponent’s head and torso, which, as widely documented, exposes fighters to all kinds of potentially disabling and fatal injuries from which there is no recovery. Proof of this can be seen in the health conditions of most of yesterday’s boxing champions, not to mention the losers. When we take into account such sound evidences, there should be little doubt in the minds of Muslims that this “sport” falls under the category of causing and inflicting injury on oneself as well as others. The Prophet’s dictum: laa darara walaa diraara (there shall be no toleration of either receiving or inflicting of harm) should be kept in mind in this context. Furthermore, Allaah says in the Qura’an, “Do not lead yourselves to self-destruction.” (Qur'an 2:195)
Ultimately, the above considerations provide us with significant reasons to consider professional boxing either totally forbidden (Haram), or, at the very least, strongly undesirable (Makruh) to such an extent that a Muslim should neither practice nor condone this “sport” in any sense.

May Allaah the Almighty help us to engage in our lives, that, which He has deemed permissable, and prevent from that, which He has deemed impermissable.Amin

Wallahu A'lamu Biththawaab

Ma'assalama

Ibn Al Aqwa
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian

I'm not so sure how that comes into this :-).

The Prophet (saw) encouraged sports such as horse-rding, archery, swimming and racing. [He raced with his wife Ayesha (ra)].

Ali (ra) said: "Minds get tired as do bodies, so treat them with humour" and "Refresh your minds from time to time, for a tired mind becomes blind."

Since you'd like to box for 'fun' to relax your mind and to remain fit physically, I don't see any harm in it.

The Prophet (saw) once did wrestle with a non-muslim once but only because he (saw) was challenged to prove himself a Messenger of Allah. Thus it doesn't suggest encouragement.

And besides, the only sports he (saw) prohibited were dice games and card games.

Sometimes people just dont get it...

If i were you, i'd re-look at the stuff you quoted, and the circumstances which they were said...you might learn something...

'Abd al-Baari
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Taken from IslamQA

A boxer is asking about the ruling on boxing

Question:
Allah has given me the gift of being a good boxer and I am confident that I can become world champion in the next few years. I have had a successful amateur boxing career and am about to start a professional boxing career. I have recently come into deen and would like you to inform me whether I am allowed to do professional boxing or not. While boxing I feel that I could do a lot of good for Islam and help Muslims by both speaking about Islam (in order to encourage in particular the youth to go on the right path (islam) and giving money to charity etc. It is my intention eventually to perform Jihad of the body one day and that my years of training as a boxer would eventually serve for this purpose.
Please could you give me evidence in support of your fatwah.
( P.s. I would not be competing against Muslim brothers only against non-Muslims).

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We praise Allaah for guiding the brother who asked this question, and we ask Allaah to make him steadfast in his religion. And we praise Him for giving you physical strength, in which there is a great deal of good for you and for the Muslims in sha Allaah, because the Muslims strengthen and support one another.

Physical strength is a blessing from Allaah and a gift from Him which He bestows upon whomsoever He will and withholds from whomsoever He will.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) preferred a strong believer to a weak one; this includes both strength of faith and physical strength.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allaah than the weak believer, although both are good. Strive to do that which will benefit you and seek the help of Allaah. Do not feel helpless and if anything befalls you, do not say ‘If only I had done such and such.’ Rather say, ‘Qadar Allaah wa ma sha’a kaan (The decree of Allaah and whatever He wills happens).’ For (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytaan.”

Narrated by Muslim, 2664

It is very good for the believer to engage in permissible sports so that he will be physically strong and will preserve his health, which will help him to do acts of worship and strive in jihad for the sake of Allaah.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) praised good health and even regarded it as more important than money.

It was narrated from Mu’aadh ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Khubayb from his father that his paternal uncle said: “We were sitting in a gathering when the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came, with traces of water on his head. One of us said, ‘We see that you appear to be in high spirits today.’ He said, ‘Yes, praise be to Allaah.’ Then the people spoke about riches. He said, ‘There is nothing wrong with riches for one who fears Allaah, but good health is better for one who fears Allaah than riches, and being in good spirits is a blessing.’”

Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2141; Ahmad, 22076. This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, no. 1741

The Muslim’s aim in playing sports should be to strengthen himself to do acts of worship and to support the religion of Allaah, to defend His sacred limits and to protect the honour of the Muslims.

If that is not the case, then at the very least he should aim to earn himself a living in this world, protect himself from enemies or use his physical strength to earn a living, so that it will be a means of him eating from what he earns with his own hands.

It was narrated from al-Miqdaam (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man eats better food than the one who earns it with his own hands. The Prophet of Allaah Dawood (peace be upon him) used to eat from what he earned with his own hands.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1966.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For one of you to chop wood and carry it on his back is better for him than asking (begging) from anyone who will either give him something or refuse to give him anything.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1968; Muslim, 1042

This is with regard to permissible kinds of sports. But from what we see nowadays, most sports have gone beyond that and are no longer permissible; they have become haraam, especially boxing which is the worst of sports, for the following reasons:

1 – It involves attacking the face, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you has a fight with his brother, let him avoid the face.”

(al-Bukhaari, 2560; Muslim, 2612). This game is based on hitting the face of one's opponent with the strongest blow the boxer can muster.

2 – It is a waste of time. Allaah has bestowed many blessings upon the Muslim, and He will question him about them on the Day of Resurrection. But people think little of these blessings and waste many of them such as good health and free time. One of the things that Allaah will question the Muslim about on the Day when he meet Him will be his youth and what he did with it, and his life and how he spent it. What will this man say who spent his youth and his life training to fight people and wrestle with them and box with them in order to gain a title or win a prize?

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

If a person should not waste his money on things that are of no benefit, it is even more important that he not waste his time, because time is more precious than money, and because the fact that the young and the not-so-young waste their time on these sorts of games that are of no benefit to them is something that is very unfortunate and regrettable.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/435

3 – It is a harmful sport which can lead to irreparable damage, and Allaah has forbidden us to harm our bodies, which He has commanded us to preserve and protect.

It was narrated from ‘Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) decreed that there should be no harm or reciprocating of harm. Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2340; Ahmad, 21714; this hadeeth was classed as saheeh by Imam Ahmad and al-Haakim, and as hasan by Ibn al-Salaah.

See Khalaasat al-Badr al-Muneer, by Ibn al-Mulaqqin, 2/438

Because of your practising this sport, you know that there are many boxers have been permanently injured, especially with damage to the brain and nerves.

4 – It involves wasting money and wasting people’s time with something that is of no benefit. Instead of being wasted on this useless entertainment, that money could have been spent on charitable causes. How many millions are wasted that could have been spent on feeding the hungry, building a mosque, opening a school or other good works?

5 – These sports – including boxing – have become an excuse for tribalism and nationalism. Sport, as it exists nowadays, has divided people and made people love or hate one another on the basis of the victory or defeat of a team.

6 – It involves uncovering the ‘awrah, even if you do not do that, your opponent will. The man's ‘awrah is from the navel to the knee, as was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Similarly, it involves uncovering of the spectators’ ‘awrahs, both men and women. This is something that you cannot ward off or even denounce them for it.

You say in your question that you will not fight Muslims, but will the people who organize the matches allow you that? I don’t think so, and you know better than we do.

Secondly:

These fights are not held for the sake of religion, and they are not based on that. When people watch a fight, they do not think that this is a fight between Islam and kufr.

Moreover, when you fight, you will be fighting in the name of the country where you live, or which has given you its nationality; they will not allow you to fight in the name of Islam.

And even if your opponent is a kaafir, he may from among the people with whom there is peace (ahl al-silm), not those who are in a state of war with the Muslims (ahl al-harb), so what right do you have to raise your hand against a man who is at peace with us?

In conclusion, this sport if one of the haraam games that cause more harm than good.

Thirdly:

With regard to your saying that you intend to go for jihad one day.

These are beautiful words, even if boxing is haraam. You can strengthen your body by doing other sports that are not haraam.

Please see question no. 10427.

And Allaah knows best.

Hope you find this beneficial and that Inshallah it helps answer your question

ashley66
12-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Boxing for the purpose of physical fitness and relaxing the mind would be good for the body and mind and great fun. As long as it doesn't make you forget or delay your duty to Allah and cover your aurat.

I used to go to the gym every day and once I heard a tazkirah about du'a so that we don't die in su ul khotimah. She ask us to picture what if the malaikah Izrail took our life while we're jumping in the gym or doing whatever our recreational activities are. The lesson is to choose our activities and in whatever we do, wherever we go, have that question in mind. It will help you think and weigh the reason, pros and cons. If reason and arguement are good then go ahead.

Enjoy your boxing. My dad used to be a boxing instructor in. He loved it.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Al Aqwa-
Sometimes people just dont get it...

If i were you, i'd re-look at the stuff you quoted, and the circumstances which they were said...you might learn something...
lol agreed

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaah

to get overly competitive in sports isnt the best way to go about it. Have a bit of fun thats ok.

i thought this was well known lol, if needed im sure i can find some fatawa from ulama of ahlus sunnah regarding this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.