/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being a convert is hard!

Belief_is_Power
12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Salam, I am a convert! Many of you on this forum are also converts. What many born into Islam muslims dont understand is that being a convert is hard. From learning how to pray, to fasting , understanding the oneness of Allah etc. I was from a conservative pentecostal church before converting many years years ago at the age of 16. I always went to church thinking why do I need a mediator to talk to God? From then on my journey to Islam began. We converts are something of a miracle in this period of time. With all the distractions of the kaffir lifestyle and our own families to deal with, being a good muslim is hard. Yes I know even born muslims have are hard time as well, but we are different. My mother always tries to bring me back to christianity, but she always fails and I end up leaving her speechless when I point out proof that Islam is the real path to God. I imagine that for the convert muslim sisters it is even harder. Brothers and sisters what I am trying to say is that while we converts are the minority in Islam and the ones who break down stereotypes of our faith, Allah will never give us any test that we cannot pass. Yes it is hard being the only latino in a masjid full of Pakistanis, Arabs, and African muslims but I feel part of a wider family and each day being part of that family makes my life easier. Please if you are a convert feel free to post anything about your own experiences. All are welcome salam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
You converted at 16? Mashallah, that's brilliant. Most of the non muslims I know that are my age (16) are too busy drinking and dating. It's so refreshing to see someone on the right path.

As for it being difficult being a convert, the more you struggle, the more your reward, so be sure it isn't going to waste. :)

Salam.

Belief_is_Power
12-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Salam You could not imagine the look on my mothers face when I converted at the age of 16. The next few days after that, she felt sad because she thought I was going straight to hell for rejecting christ. I got alot of nasty looks from my former church members and many tried soooo hard to bring me back. however I am here to stay.

- Qatada -
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Asalaamu alaikum bro :)

Yeah i get you totally, surprisingly many born muslims revert back to Islam (even though they don't really leave Islam) - they might turn to Islam whole heartedly when they ponder over it deeply.

The problem that some born Muslims face is similar to many reverts aswell, and their parents become scared that their child is becoming either 'too extreme', or is straying away from a deviated sect that muslim family might be following.

So in reality, even born muslims go through similar. Their parents can be on either side of the scale, i.e. too secular or too stuck up in the teachings of a deviated sect which promotes acts which are totally contradictory to true Islamic teachings (probably because they too were brought up following these false teachings too.)

So don't worry too much, those who follow the true guidance, they are usually the minority throughout history. And this shouldn't put us off, rather we should be thankful to Allah that He has guided us.

Here's an interesting link by the way;

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-stranger.html

By the way, its kool to see a latino brother here! :) May Allah reward you and keep you and the muslims patient. ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
But I can understand where christian parents are coming from, when their children convert. It's just like you raising your children muslim, and then have them come to you one day and tell you they've decided to convert to another religion. The heartbreak would be crazy. May Allah guide us all to the correct path.

Salam.

Woodrow
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I guess the age one reverts brings it's own unique set of difficulties. Having been what would be described as elderly at the time of my reverting. I faced different difficulties. My biggest difficulties were/are:

Changing over 60 years of deeply ingrained habits. (ie Chain Smoking, beer drinking party animal)

Learning to properly respect women and value them as true Sisters.

Avoiding some old acquaintances

Really understanding that true freedom comes from full submission

It is difficult for an old man to accept the fact that he doesn't know everything.

waji
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
:sl:

first Think im not a convert.
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
Salam, I am a convert! Many of you on this forum are also converts. What many born into Islam muslims dont understand is that being a convert is hard. From learning how to pray, to fasting , understanding the oneness of Allah etc. I was from a conservative pentecostal church before converting many years years ago at the age of 16. I always went to church thinking why do I need a mediator to talk to God? From then on my journey to Islam began. We converts are something of a miracle in this period of time. With all the distractions of the kaffir lifestyle and our own families to deal with, being a good muslim is hard. Yes I know even born muslims have are hard time as well, but we are different. My mother always tries to bring me back to christianity, but she always fails and I end up leaving her speechless when I point out proof that Islam is the real path to God. I imagine that for the convert muslim sisters it is even harder. Brothers and sisters what I am trying to say is that while we converts are the minority in Islam and the ones who break down stereotypes of our faith, Allah will never give us any test that we cannot pass. Yes it is hard being the only latino in a masjid full of Pakistanis, Arabs, and African muslims but I feel part of a wider family and each day being part of that family makes my life easier. Please if you are a convert feel free to post anything about your own experiences. All are welcome salam.
Brother i agree with you that being a convert is hard but you forget that When someone converts his all previous bad deeds are washed off and he is just like a new born
What kind of hardness you feel in masjid when you know that your Level of Taqwaa can make you closer to Allah but not being an Arab, Pakistani, African aur Latino

For Allah everyone is equal

:w:

Whatsthepoint
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I was about your age when I was seriously thinking of converting to Islam. I've seen so many faboulous sites about the miracles of the Quran and Sunnah. Being a fan of maths, they really impressed me, in a special, kinda mystical way. I've also checked the pictures of Allah's name in nature and, in the general feeling that Islam is the truth, found them amazing.
Then a week passed, I rationalized myself, checked other, non-islamic sources as well as non-exaggerating islamic ones. I find out that there are plenty of miracles in other religions and the mystical feeling went away.
I was raised a Christian, became an atheist at about 15, soon switched to more reasonable agnosticism. Then I had the islam-week I just described and have been an agnostic ever since (for almost a year now).

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 05:07 PM
"verily, with every hardship comes ease!" (94:5-6).

Kittygyal
12-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Assalamualikum.
Im a revert my self and i find it hard. We need to understand life is hard and everything is hard at first, all we need to remember is this is for our own good. We come to the right path yet we have hard times. That's it Allaah is testing us, were all getting tested in different ways.
It's the same for me, my Brother is very aggressive and at times he says all kind of words to me just because im a Muslim now. I feel utterly upset and hurt but then i think why am i going to put my self down when i have Allaah for me. Are we not doing this for our one selves or others?. Don't we sit down and pray to Allaah to guide us. It's all a test because this life is not enternal. We need to always remember there's many more people out there who are facing in very hard times. I've had my brothers doing all sorts to me just becaise i have reverted to Islam, but it's all for good. Alhamdulilah now that im a Muslim i feel much better and since the death of my Mom i feel close to Allaah.
Yes, it's hard because i have my Homies and blads who are Non-Muslim and therefore i struggle soo hard to stay away from them yet they turn to me acting as if im not a Muslim. Thats a test for me to see how easily i can turn to Kaffirs rather turn to Allaah. In happy times we forget Allaah and then in need we turn to him, surely we should remember Allaah at all times.

It's hard for me to have my tea/lunch and even breakfast because of my neices/nephews, my brother and also my Sister-in-law who eat haram food, but insha'Allaah im doing all my best to stay away from all this insha'Allaah.

Anywho, i can go on forever but i need to go now.

Insha'Allaah, be back soon. May Allaah guide us all. Amin

Ma'assalama

muslim1
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Salam Brother,
Masha Allah. Your words are so touchy. May Allah reward you in this life in the hereafter insha Allah. :peace:

muslim1
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
You converted at 16? Mashallah, that's brilliant. Most of the non muslims I know that are my age (16) are too busy drinking and dating. It's so refreshing to see someone on the right path.

As for it being difficult being a convert, the more you struggle, the more your reward, so be sure it isn't going to waste. :)

Salam.
Masha Allah Crayon! You are only 16? May Allah bless you more and more:peace:

muslim1
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Assalamualikum.
Im a revert my self and i find it hard. We need to understand life is hard and everything is hard at first, all we need to remember is this is for our own good. We come to the right path yet we have hard times. That's it Allaah is testing us, were all getting tested in different ways.
It's the same for me, my Brother is very aggressive and at times he says all kind of words to me just because im a Muslim now. I feel utterly upset and hurt but then i think why am i going to put my self down when i have Allaah for me. Are we not doing this for our one selves or others?. Don't we sit down and pray to Allaah to guide us. It's all a test because this life is not enternal. We need to always remember there's many more people out there who are facing in very hard times. I've had my brothers doing all sorts to me just becaise i have reverted to Islam, but it's all for good. Alhamdulilah now that im a Muslim i feel much better and since the death of my Mom i feel close to Allaah.
Yes, it's hard because i have my Homies and blads who are Non-Muslim and therefore i struggle soo hard to stay away from them yet they turn to me acting as if im not a Muslim. Thats a test for me to see how easily i can turn to Kaffirs rather turn to Allaah. In happy times we forget Allaah and then in need we turn to him, surely we should remember Allaah at all times.

It's hard for me to have my tea/lunch and even breakfast because of my neices/nephews, my brother and also my Sister-in-law who eat haram food, but insha'Allaah im doing all my best to stay away from all this insha'Allaah.

Anywho, i can go on forever but i need to go now.

Insha'Allaah, be back soon. May Allaah guide us all. Amin

Ma'assalama
Masha Allah Sister, May Allah be all the time with you and help you always. :peace::)

muslim1
12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Asalaamu alaikum bro :)

Yeah i get you totally, surprisingly many born muslims revert back to Islam (even though they don't really leave Islam) - they might turn to Islam whole heartedly when they ponder over it deeply.

The problem that some born Muslims face is similar to many reverts aswell, and their parents become scared that their child is becoming either 'too extreme', or is straying away from a deviated sect that muslim family might be following.

So in reality, even born muslims go through similar. Their parents can be on either side of the scale, i.e. too secular or too stuck up in the teachings of a deviated sect which promotes acts which are totally contradictory to true Islamic teachings (probably because they too were brought up following these false teachings too.)

So don't worry too much, those who follow the true guidance, they are usually the minority throughout history. And this shouldn't put us off, rather we should be thankful to Allah that He has guided us.

Here's an interesting link by the way;

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-stranger.html

By the way, its kool to see a latino brother here! :) May Allah reward you and keep you and the muslims patient. ameen.

Masha Allah Brother Qatada. I like ur input very much (wheres the icon of a big kiss?) :?

muslim1
12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I guess the age one reverts brings it's own unique set of difficulties. Having been what would be described as elderly at the time of my reverting. I faced different difficulties. My biggest difficulties were/are:

Changing over 60 years of deeply ingrained habits. (ie Chain Smoking, beer drinking party animal)

Learning to properly respect women and value them as true Sisters.

Avoiding some old acquaintances

Really understanding that true freedom comes from full submission

It is difficult for an old man to accept the fact that he doesn't know everything.
Dear Brother, Masha Allah. I really admire you. May Allah help you all the way long.

muslim1
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I was about your age when I was seriously thinking of converting to Islam. I've seen so many faboulous sites about the miracles of the Quran and Sunnah. Being a fan of maths, they really impressed me, in a special, kinda mystical way. I've also checked the pictures of Allah's name in nature and, in the general feeling that Islam is the truth, found them amazing.
Then a week passed, I rationalized myself, checked other, non-islamic sources as well as non-exaggerating islamic ones. I find out that there are plenty of miracles in other religions and the mystical feeling went away.
I was raised a Christian, became an atheist at about 15, soon switched to more reasonable agnosticism. Then I had the islam-week I just described and have been an agnostic ever since (for almost a year now).
It's not about mystical feelings, it's about logic and proofs. Keep searching and your reach the light at the end of the tunnel :thumbs_up

Belief_is_Power
12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree keep searching, it took me years to find Islam and I started when I was at least 12 after watching a documentary about it. Then I read tons of books and watched even more documentaries. salam

Kittygyal
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim1
Masha Allaah Sister, May Allah be all the time with you and help you always. :peace::)
Assalamualikum.

^ Amin thumma amin ya rabbil almeen.

May Allaah guide us all Amin.

Ma'assalama

Umm Yoosuf
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh,

Alhamdulilaah Allaah guided you to His light and chosen for you the path of Islaam wal-hamdulilaah indeed. I’m sure being a revert is not easy of course you always come across great difficulties in life, the road to Jannah is not easy it is strewn with thorns and paved with pain and hardships but compare you situation or life to the Sahabah (companions) then your situation will become insignificant, for they were beaten, boycotted and rejected by their entire community! I am sure when you read their stories you’ll find firmness in your heart and insha Allah you’ll remain steadfast. Likewise we born and raised Muslims are in similar situation, for some of us life is not all easy but indeed Allah tests the believers and indeed the successful ones are those that remain patient.

May Allah make us all steadfast upon the Haqq and forgive us our shortcomings.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
subhanAllaah, its amazing how we think before and after comparing ourselves with the lives of the sahaba.

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakatuh

Brother i get where your coming from , may Allaah reward you.

I hope you find peace in reading the lives of as-sahaba, the most perfect generation in all history ! Alhamdulillaah

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaah

Strzelecki
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Addressing how hard it is to be a convert; I know, as I reverted at age 17 and am now 18. My friends are always asking me out and just don't understand when I tell them why I'm not going to and keep bugging me, alhamdulillah though, they have all been supporting and accepting of me otherwise. My family on the other hand don't know and I am refraining from telling them as I know their rection won't be good.

The bottom line here, brother is to pace yourself. Don't overwhelm yourself. With all hardship will come great ease and know that when this life has ended, inshaAllah all the tests that Allah (swt) has put you through will be fully worth it.

Keep smiling! :D

Kittygyal
12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
My family on the other hand don't know and I am refraining from telling them as I know their rection won't be good.
Assalamualikum.
Brother you should inform them before they find out from someone else :omg:
end of day up to you brother.

May Allaah guide us all Amin

Ma'assalama

Whatsthepoint
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim1
It's not about mystical feelings, it's about logic and proofs. Keep searching and your reach the light at the end of the tunnel :thumbs_up
The more I search, the less impressed I become.
When a person's seen most of the impressive miracles and "proofs", they're left with unimpressive and often absurd quoting of verses and dibious scientific claims.
I might try mormonism instead..

Umar001
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey bro it's not as bad as it seems.

Trust, I mean, its hard, but hey, it's ok, every position has its ups and 'downs' from our view point.

One benefit of being a revert (only one in the family) is that it reminds you that on judgement day you will be alone in front of Allah!

People with family members who are Muslims are not always so mindful about the lonelyness of judgement day. But when you know your family is not Muslim you tend to remember that more. And what a better way to stick to reality other than to face it on a daily basis?!

Sempre Avanti!

Whatsthepoint
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Hey bro it's not as bad as it seems.

Trust, I mean, its hard, but hey, it's ok, every position has its ups and 'downs' from our view point.

One benefit of being a revert (only one in the family) is that it reminds you that on judgement day you will be alone in front of Allah!

People with family members who are Muslims are not always so mindful about the lonelyness of judgement day. But when you know your family is not Muslim you tend to remember that more. And what a better way to stick to reality other than to face it on a daily basis?!

Sempre Avanti!
What's the benefit of being alone in front of Allah on the judgement day?

Umar001
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
What's the benefit of being alone in front of Allah on the judgement day?
I don't think I mentioned there being a benefit of being alone in front of Allah on the day of judgement. I just said that there is a benefit in remembering that.

If you mean what is the benefit in remembering, then it is beneficial because one learns not to rely on loved ones, or not to be swayed by loved ones if they are doing wrong, but rather that we should help each other out but ultimately I will be asked about myself first and foremost.

I think that's a benefit.

Whatsthepoint
12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't think I mentioned there being a benefit of being alone in front of Allah on the day of judgement. I just said that there is a benefit in remembering that.

If you mean what is the benefit in remembering, then it is beneficial because one learns not to rely on loved ones, or not to be swayed by loved ones if they are doing wrong, but rather that we should help each other out but ultimately I will be asked about myself first and foremost.

I think that's a benefit.
It is, however, being alone in front of Allah, knowing that all your loved ones are on their way to hell, is not. I don't know how muslims (are supposed to) feel but I'd be devastated.

Belief_is_Power
12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
yes you are right Alpha Dude, I fear hellfire, and while being a convert is hard, I will druge through it to get to Jannah at any cost.

Umar001
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
It is, however, being alone in front of Allah, knowing that all your loved ones are on their way to hell, is not. I don't know how muslims (are supposed to) feel but I'd be devastated.
That is part of this whole thing being hard. :okay:

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum,
i myself am a new muslim and the main thing i find extremly difficult since converting is FOOD. in my area there is no halal meat and i have to travel long distances and buy in bulk when i can. or i resort to eating veggies...
my family have been more than supportive, my mother a christian was actually more than happy to know that i had 'found my faith'
i did my first Ramadan and read the entire Holy Quran during this month ( english translation ) with great ease... its also taken me 6 months to learn namaz from heart and i take great pride and self worth when offering my prayers....
ive never lived such a clean and understanding way of life since i converted, i do however have a great deal to learn and inshaAllah i can gain great insight and education from talking to other muslims here on this site.
But in many respects.. i do agree with the title of this board. Beign a convert is hard.. especially when you live in a small english market town where you find yourself to be the one and only islam follower. I hope in time this will become easier for me inshaAllah.

Peace and Blessing
Allah Hafiz

Strzelecki
12-11-2007, 01:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Assalamualikum.
Brother you should inform them before they find out from someone else :omg:
end of day up to you brother.

May Allaah guide us all Amin

Ma'assalama
Ameen.

I know; the last thing I want is for the find out from someone else, it's just they're most definitely going to be the hardest to tell cos I know the response won't be as positive as I'd like...InshaAllah, in the long term all should be well, though.

MustafaMc
12-11-2007, 02:34 AM
I agree with you that we can't rely upon our friends and family on that Day. The realization that I must stand before Allah to give an account for my life is what led me in 2001 to practice Islam consistently after 19 years of wishy-washy practice. I knew that I could not use the excuse that there were some people who did bad things in the name of Islam as the reason that I, personally, did not worship my Creator. I am the only Muslim in all of my faily, except for my wife, but I hold out hope and pray for my unbelieving family members that they will accept Islam before it is too late.

ayesha309
12-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Subhana'Allah. after reading some of the stories on this post, i feel like i have the most perfect life of ease and comfort. Alhamdulillah all my family members are Muslim; supporting Muslims, encouraging me everytime i take a step towards Islam; never deviating me from the correct path. Alhamdulillah. For this reason, I find convert stories fascinating and they help me increase my imaan, becuase i realize people have a lot worse conditions then me and yet they are soo much more thankful than me.

format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
I know; the last thing I want is for the find out from someone else, it's just they're most definitely going to be the hardest to tell cos I know the response won't be as positive as I'd like...InshaAllah, in the long term all should be well, though.
bro you should do what you feel is right...........it was so beautiful to read your post and realize that people are converting to Islam even in Australia. (I hope i'm not offending you by saying that) from what i watch on tv, Australians didnt seem so nice to Islam. Anways, bro just keep asking Allah to help and if He wills, He will guide your family as well. May Allah reward you and help you. Ameen.

format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯)
Assalam-o-Allikum,
i myself am a new muslim and the main thing i find extremly difficult since converting is FOOD. in my area there is no halal meat and i have to travel long distances and buy in bulk when i can. or i resort to eating veggies...
my family have been more than supportive, my mother a christian was actually more than happy to know that i had 'found my faith'
i did my first Ramadan and read the entire Holy Quran during this month ( english translation ) with great ease... its also taken me 6 months to learn namaz from heart and i take great pride and self worth when offering my prayers....
ive never lived such a clean and understanding way of life since i converted, i do however have a great deal to learn and inshaAllah i can gain great insight and education from talking to other muslims here on this site.
But in many respects.. i do agree with the title of this board. Beign a convert is hard.. especially when you live in a small english market town where you find yourself to be the one and only islam follower. I hope in time this will become easier for me inshaAllah.

Peace and Blessing
Allah Hafiz
sis im Ayesha tooo :) Masha'Allah reading your story showed how much belief you have in Allah and how hard you will work to follow his commands. It's incredible and you should keep it up. i have no idea how hard it would be to drive for a long time to get halal food, as Alhamdulillah i live in a neighbourhood with many Muslims and halal food stores close to my house. However remember Allah will reward you for working so hard, imagine how nice the food in Jannah taste. then this drive won't be hard at all. But sis Insha'Allah keep working hard on intaking halal food only. May Allah reward you and help you. Ameen.

yes you are right Alpha Dude, I fear hellfire, and while being a convert is hard, I will druge through it to get to Jannah at any cost.
Masha'Allah bro. that's the way it is supose to be. work hard to get Jannah, no matter the cost, and Masha'Allah you've sacrificed sooo much. May Allah reward you and help you. Ameen

Bro Woodrow, your story fascinated me. It reminded me that Allah guides whom He wants, when He wants. no matter the age. Masha'Allah. May Allah reward you and help you. Ameen

Sis Kittygyal, wow. you seem to have to suffer a lot but Masha'Allah you seem to have a strong faith in Allah. May you keep it up and May Allah help you and reward you. Ameen

Our sacrifices for the sake of Allah turn to mountains of rewards on the Day of Judgement and everything will seem worth it. May Allah reward and help all the Muslims in abundance. Ameen.

Esther462
12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I am a new Muslim. I've been a convert for about 2 months now and I'm find things really hard going with me. There are not that many Muslims in my town so I'm kinder on my own in my faith. Most of my friends and family are Christian and are trying to get me back to Christianty and I think I'm starting to fall into there trap. I hate it as a person when mainly my family is upset with me. I have to keep going to church to keep them happy as I have no were else to go on Sunday morning as the nearest Mosque is an hours drive from my house.:mmokay:
I'm still covering my body and wearing Hijab and not eatting pork but my prayer have slipped a lot, i.e I only prayed 3 times today and with only one at the right time.imsad

Woodrow
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
:sl

You need to keep in mind that the reason your family has difficulty accepting your reverting is because they do not understand Islam. Take this as an opportunity to show them the truth by living as a Muslim and not falling prey to the temptations others your age often fall prey to.

transition?
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
I can imagine it being difficult. :uuh:

The harder the test, the greater the reward. :D

In some way, being born Muslim isn't as easy, especially when you are born "Muslim" into a family that doesn't practice it.
It's quite embarrassing actually not knowing much about your religion imsad A lot of Muslims are coming back to Islam, some of them know very little and similar to my dad's case, have to learn how to pray, and fast.

May Allah (swt) Guide us

Belief_is_Power
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
may allah guide us indeed. salam

Umm Yoosuf
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I am a new Muslim. I've been a convert for about 2 months now and I'm find things really hard going with me. There are not that many Muslims in my town so I'm kinder on my own in my faith. Most of my friends and family are Christian and are trying to get me back to Christianty and I think I'm starting to fall into there trap. I hate it as a person when mainly my family is upset with me. I have to keep going to church to keep them happy as I have no were else to go on Sunday morning as the nearest Mosque is an hours drive from my house.:mmokay:
I'm still covering my body and wearing Hijab and not eatting pork but my prayer have slipped a lot, i.e I only prayed 3 times today and with only one at the right time.imsad
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah sister,

May Allaah make things easy for you. You have to gain strengh sister in your deen and in order for you to do that you have to seek knowledge but with you not living near a Masjid I can imagine thats had. There are couple of site's you can learn Islaam and get in contact with the scholars. Drop me a PM and I could help you with that Insha Allaah :)

adeeb
01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
masha Allah, Alhamdulillah, Allah has show u the right path and way to jannah.. now people are testing to your faith.. strong or weak...the more u struggle for that.. the more u get a lot of benefit from it..

come on sis, u can do it!! learn and read a lot of islamic books, look a muslim friend, and BE PROUD coz Allah has made u MUSLIM...hold it until u die, do good deeds... and jannah will be yours. ameen :okay::thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Angelzz
01-05-2008, 08:01 AM

I am so grateful to allah swt for leading me out of ignorance and granting me knowledge to know that Islam is the Truth and the chance to know Him Allah swt the way he should be known and worshipped.

SubhanAllah the best day of my life to date and the best thing thats ever happened to me is the day i said shahada and became a muslimah.

To this day I get all teary remembering how much allah swt has blessed me with just this one thing (let alone all the other blessings before and after islam and continue to get)

SubhanAllah its overwhelming -- this is what we should be grateful for and remember that the people around us even our loved ones --- are still living in the dark they are still ignorant.

If you dont teach them or slowly slowly implement islam and show them islam -- how can they learn? How do you know it wasnt in allah' wisdom that through YOU they too accept Islam ? SubhanAllah I make dua after every salah that allah swt has mercy on my family and inshaAllah they be led to Islam too.

As you learn Islam more and more and put more things into practise -- yes you struggle --- life happens and you get tested --- but the beauty of islam is Your not alone and not left alone to deal with your tests.

You have the best guidance in the Quran and Sunnah (let alone all the brothers and sisters you can turn to for advice and support) and subhanAllah this has been the greatest blessing for me --- whenever im stuck in a certain situation I say what does Allah say i should do here and look it up --- there are countless sources and an easy page to get rulings on different aspects of life as they happen is Islam QA for example.

Yes life is hard in Islam BUT life WITHOUT islam is harder.

Dont take the guidance and blessings and the power of Dua we have in Islam for granted.

rabarbara2008
02-02-2008, 09:31 AM
It's hard indeed when you're family is not muslim. That's why it's so important to have muslim friends.

I also recognize myself in the veggie part, but hey, I could imagine worse things ;)

true believer
02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
salam
am not a revert. i was a born muslim.
but i find revert stories [about how they found islam] really interesting.
i understand how hard for a new msulim to practice islam [e.g praying, learning the Quran and so on] and how brave it must be to leave all belief u had about god from ur upbringing, change religion [lets face it, it is a big deal for anyone] and enter a whole new life as a new muslim. i really admire all reverts. manshalla, may Allah reward u for all ur struggle and efforts. :D
[btw in islam, u dont really say convert, u say revert becasue revert means going back to something and every child is born muslim but later on
when they get baptised and stuff, and they end up leaving islam]

true believer
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
salam
am not a revert. i was a born muslim.
but i find revert stories [about how they found islam] really interesting.
i understand how hard for a new msulim to practice islam [e.g praying, learning the Quran and so on] and how brave it must be to leave all belief u had about god from ur upbringing, change religion [lets face it, it is a big deal for anyone] and enter a whole new life as a new muslim. i really admire all reverts. manshalla, may Allah reward u for all ur struggle and efforts.
[btw in islam, u dont really say convert, u say revert becasue revert means going back to something and every child is born muslim but later on
when they get baptised and stuff, and they end up leaving islam]

true believer
02-17-2008, 03:49 PM
soz i done da smile thing wrong so i done it again.

kwolney01
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree with you. I haven't converted yet, but I plan to very soon. Even though I haven't converted yet, it is still very hard. I'm having a hard time telling my mom, because my whole family is Christian. She knows that I'm thinking deeply about converted but I haven't told her myself. Sometimes she gets angry because I don't believe Jesus is God. Its hard to learn about Islam from Muslims sometimes, because they may have their own opinions about things. Most of the Muslims I know are Somali and they mix a lot of their culture with Islam saying its all Islamic. I wish you the best! I hope things get better with time!

al Amaanah
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
may Allah make it easy for u and may Allah increase u in knowledge, ameen.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

However, I could not stop wondering at the amazing nature of the universe, the trees, the birds, the people and life. I finally came to the conclusion that there was a God. But my confusion remained in that I did not know what religion to follow. Which was the right religion? I was very lost.

Then I drifted into looking into Christianity for a bit. I rejoined university and I remember I would check out the flyers for ANY religious talks from any religion. In my search, I also dipped into Sikhism and Buddhism & "techno-spiritualism" in my desperation to find inner peace - but it wasn’t to be found.

After nearly 8 years of unhappiness during which time my whole life had turned upside down, I thought I would have a look about Islam. I thought I began searching for Islamic talks and circles in Scotland. On one occasion, a revert brother called Yusuf gave me a portion of the English translation of the Quran (Sura Al-Naba) which read on the bus on way back home. I also met some sisters who for the first time in my life had answers to my tricky questions about Islam. I read up on Islam and prayed off and on. In the end, I said in my heart "ashhadu allah ila ha illal lahu muhammedar rasul ullah" - I bear witness that there is no god except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammed is his slave and messenger. But my imaan was very improved much. Then I decided to act upon some advice I received which, with Allahs help and Mercy, literally has changed my life:

The secret my brothers and sisters lies in regular prayer and good company and in reading the Quran. The rest comes slowly inshallah, but you have to make a proper effort to change and Allah helps for He says in the Quraan, that He does not change the situation of a people until they try changing it themselves first.

After only two weeks of doing the above, I noticed a big difference - and Allah alone is our sole helper and bestower of Mercy. And the journey continues Insha'Allah.

As Allah says, "so remember me and I will remember you." . I seek his forgiveness and pray he keeps me and my brothers and sisters of this ummah on the straight path which my Prophet Mohammed was upon, peace and blessings be upon him.

My non-Muslim family are very supported and happy about that I have found the faith. Now, I am Hadifh of the Noble Quran, Alhamdulillah! Being reverted into Islam is very struggle because we have stay away from something that are haraam stuff! I have find it is not easy! But Alhamdulillah, I have found bit easy to stayed away from haraam stuff.

//-Asif-\\
04-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Alhamdulilliah, such a great thread topic Brothers and Sisters.

Like many born Muslims, I am very fascinated in hearing conversion stories of people from all walks of life. Sometimes I bring up the question of, "What If I wasn't born Muslim, would I eventually be able to find the truth out on my own?" In the materialistic society that is America, doing so seems more and more difficult to do, thats why I greatly admire those that do.

I cannot imagine how hard it would be for a revert to be in a household that not only is not knowledgeable of Islam but also due to the perception of Islam in the media and whatnot LOATH the religion and anyone associated with it. Not having a shoulder to lean on, or any support in a lot of cases. But like someone previously said, stories of the Sahaba and the Prophet (SAW) himself should inspire those that find it hard to make the adjustment because they suffered worse than any Muslim can possibly suffer and were able to persevere.

Another reason that I love to read about stories of reverts is that it helps me to become a better Muslim and not take it for granted. To realize that I was blessed being born a Muslim and basically to not screw it up for myself. There are times in the past that I've messed up badly and not appreciated Islam the way one should. I truly look up to reverts as an inspiration and as a example to reflect upon myself and to improve daily and be the best Muslim I can possibly be.

islamirama
04-14-2008, 03:35 AM
There's a yahoo group i manage, it's mostly for new converts/reverts and non-Muslims interested in Islam. I think you lots should check it out...and maybe take it over down the road :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islaam4all

aamirsaab
04-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Shoud also try www.stickam.com and go to the Islam-talk channel. It's a chat room site but I just go on the Islam talk channel. Loads of reverts there. And if you're lucky, you may catch me there ;) (search for phalanx08 on the member search list)

iliketosmile99
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I converted young too. I was 15. My parents were very liberal and never really brought me up in any one religion. My mom was brought up as a Protestant and is now agnostic, and my dad calls himself a "recovering Catholic". So, I had a lot of room to explore. I was always fascinated by religion and philosophy, and began reading the Qur'an at 15. I read it cover to cover, did some research, talked to some people, and decided that this was the way to go, and I couldn't be happier.

It is difficult sticking out of the crowd so much. I'm white, and everyone I pray with is Middle Eastern. Sometimes I feel very self-conscious. Someone even once said to me "You're Muslim? You don't look Muslim." I wanted to smack them in the head so badly, but I restrained myself :raging:.

But I definitely know where you're coming from.

Mukafi7
05-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Brother,

I enjoyed reading your post. I have to say, yes, you are part of a large family now and I am glad you fel that way too. You have the right attitude, but keep in mind that the challenges never end. May Allah be with you.

Pk_#2
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iliketosmile99
I converted young too. I was 15. My parents were very liberal and never really brought me up in any one religion. My mom was brought up as a Protestant and is now agnostic, and my dad calls himself a "recovering Catholic". So, I had a lot of room to explore. I was always fascinated by religion and philosophy, and began reading the Qur'an at 15. I read it cover to cover, did some research, talked to some people, and decided that this was the way to go, and I couldn't be happier.

It is difficult sticking out of the crowd so much. I'm white, and everyone I pray with is Middle Eastern. Sometimes I feel very self-conscious. Someone even once said to me "You're Muslim? You don't look Muslim." I wanted to smack them in the head so badly, but I restrained myself :raging:.

But I definitely know where you're coming from.
Next time wak em on the head.

glo
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Given the history of Croatia and the fact that it is predominantly Catholic, I am impressed that your parents are so open about your conversion to Islam. :)

I get the impression that you are not living in Croatia now ... can I ask you where you live?

cute123
05-03-2008, 06:13 AM
I would just tell you that stick to the right path at any cost. Many difficulties are but most obvious its because we are going against the flow. dont get disheartened also because for the one whom you are doing is the only one worth of it.

Danah
05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
May allah guide all of you brothers and sisters to the right way in sha allah. stick in the right path and ignore everything else if you are doing the right thing.
When you are worship one god, you are caring about him only so throw everything to your backs and allah will easy everything on you in sha allah

Souljette
05-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I have major respect for the reverts and mashallah i luv them for the sake of Allah and ask Allah to make all of us like the practicing muslims they become..I am a born muslim but it was just like a tradition..just like a part of life...yes i shuld pray but no one taught me what to say or learn in the prayer..to me it was jst a rule of prayin or god wuld punish me..I finished Qur'an but i never knew the meaning of it..never thought it was important and after couple months of me turning 13 i strted learning more about Islam..mashallah my brothers started exploring first and then when my mom left I started learning and then alhamdullah in the end of grade 8..around spring break i started wearing hijab and going to the masjid...I met sisters that were practicing and revert sisters as well and mashallah i luved them and the funny thing is the revert sister who i met first named herself Aisha as well...After that i started learning and discovering more and then i started wearing niqab and abaya around 2004 August..which was 2 months after i completed graduated from grade 8...The argumenst and disputes in our households were consistent and still have been..my mother understands now but since we didnt see other family members for a long time ..we now have to explain ourselves to them as to why we're so "extreme" I now follow the Sunnah i keep studying although i have had my imaan drop as i have moved alot and become alone as well at times but mashallah when I ask Allah to help me out ..He finds me someone...and i'm proud to say that i've been practicing for almost 5 years and been wearing the niqab for 4 years alhamdullah ....I am soo grateful to Allah (S.W.T) for everything

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Given the history of Croatia and the fact that it is predominantly Catholic, I am impressed that your parents are so open about your conversion to Islam. :)

I get the impression that you are not living in Croatia now ... can I ask you where you live?
I live in the US. I still get some heat from Croatian relatives and Croats I've met over the years, but although Muslims are the minority in Croatia it is a very fast-growing religion, so it's not nearly as hard as it used to be.

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
Next time wak em on the head.
LOL :D

glo
05-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I live in the US. I still get some heat from Croatian relatives and Croats I've met over the years, but although Muslims are the minority in Croatia it is a very fast-growing religion, so it's not nearly as hard as it used to be.
That's good.
Not giving people religious freedom makes a mockery of the free choice God gave us. That's my view, anyway.

Do you still miss Croatia? How long have you been in the US?

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
That's good.
Not giving people religious freedom makes a mockery of the free choice God gave us. That's my view, anyway.

Do you still miss Croatia? How long have you been in the US?
I agree. I think it's partially because of all the tension that's been happening in that area for so long. People have become paranoid because of it, and they come to think that anything different coming into Croatia is a threat. In a way, I understand. But I've also heard things from Croats like "Stop the Islamization of Croatia! It's tearing our country apart!" And it makes me sad.

I've officially lived in the US my whole life, and I've never spent more than a month in Croatia, so I can't really say whether or not I miss it. Sometimes I do, just because I think the Croatian language is very beautiful, and the people there are usually much friendlier than a lot of people in the US, but my father refuses to ever go there for more than a short amount of time, and he only ever wants to go to certain cities. Again, it's primarily because of the violence in the past 15 or so years.

arabianprincess
05-04-2008, 03:23 AM
interestin story....at age 16............ for the first time u got me thinkin... it is more hard for convert then a muslim who is born in to it.. ur rite.............. actually ppl who convert r more religious ... then the one who were born in to it............................ but at the end we r alll muslims n god dont care wat color or race u from ... well salam wa 3lykom

Maher
05-04-2008, 03:45 AM
I agree being a convert is hard, But Allah protects us Where ever we are and he is with you any time and any way. You choosed your way and you choosed the best way.

Good Luck brother...

kay
05-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Just think, us converts are in exactly like the people in muhammads (s.a.w) day, they were all just new converting just like us now.
wa salaam

kay
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
And just dont worry about anything, gotta take baby steps bit by bit, my first lesson i got taught was sabar, patcience, and it does work trust me, my head used to be clouded with this that and the over, but then i just stopped, cleared my head, and become patcient and have left it to allah to gude me at my pace and ive never been happier or felt has close to him, and ive only been converted 4months. inshallah ill grow closer and closer. and has i said in another forum,
religion is about beliving in god, giving your will up to him, ignoring your ego and just pray and worship god how prophet muhamed(s.a.w) showed us. Like the saying, 'one drop when fallen into the ocen becomes nothing' forget our induvidualitys and become the ocean in gods love. all these arguements are pointless to the simplicity of you and your creator.
they were having alot of arguments on the other forum.
wa salaam
kay

shakylla
05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
As a born-muslim, I really admire reverts to Islam. It fascinates me how different people slowly, but surely, find their way to Allah (swt). And it astounds me how reverts are willing to abandon certain aspects of their lifestyle (like drinking, clubbing, etc.) and developing completely new ones. It shows their character & perseverance.

Being born into this religion, I take things for granted sometimes. There are many moments where I fail to realise how Allah (swt) has blessed me, & because of that I feel stupid & I know I'm being ungrateful. Reading revert stories spurs me on & can be a tight slap across my face at times (LOL).

I pray that Allah (swt) will continue to guide us along this true path and may we meet in Jannah. Amin.

Kudos to all of you! :)

truthforpeace
05-31-2008, 05:37 PM
i just reverted myself, and it is hard! i am trying to just give myself time though... i believe that Allah will give me time to learn :) I am glad however to be changing some of my ways.. mostly just adding more prayer and learning to fast... other than that my lifestyle isn't changing that much since i don't drink or date or eat pork anymore anyways.

cute123
06-01-2008, 06:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthforpeace
i just reverted myself, and it is hard! i am trying to just give myself time though... i believe that Allah will give me time to learn :) I am glad however to be changing some of my ways.. mostly just adding more prayer and learning to fast... other than that my lifestyle isn't changing that much since i don't drink or date or eat pork anymore anyways.
Dont worry sis, take eat easy , dont burden urself with all the things at one time. Its marvellous that u have stopped eating prk and do not drink or date. hats of to you :thumbs_up :thumbs_up. There are other simple minute things of the manners of living in Islam. Like when we eat we should eat from right hand side. Simple things those are easy to follow and heart warming also.
This is the link - its beautiful and easy.

http://www.islamicboard.com/manners-...ers-islam.html
/----------------------/
A good book site

http://www.kalamullah.com/books.html

Islam isnt difficult- do not overwhelm yourself. Read books of scholar its just not islamic as such, it relates to actual life. (Islam is the only natural religion offcourse) I am sure this will all give you confidence that you are practising and to do also its all very easy. the biggest support is our prayers. how r u learning the surahs ?

MTAFFI
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I dont know if anyone else on this thread has commented on it, and I dont have time to read it all now, although at some point I will.. But has anyone else here reverted from a very "hardline" christian or catholic family?? Probably more than anything, that has been the toughest for me, especially since the only muslims I really talk to are on this forum..lol..

No doubt it is tough though being a revert... Many things that non muslims are accustomed to, particularly in american culture, like alcohol, pork, lust for women, seeing things on TV everyday, it is as far from what the religion teaches as you can get really, and it is constantly used to tempt, constantly thrown in your face, constantly readily available and accessible... May Allah (SAW) forgive me :(

All you can do is your best, Insha'Allah I will continually get better.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
^^InshaAllah. Allah Ta'ala knows your intention and that matters :)

Sapahi
06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Wa Alaikum Asalam Wa Rehamatullahi Wa Barakhatahu dear brother / sister in Islam. May ALLAH Ta'ala strengthen your Imaan and health, Ameen Sumameen... :)

Woodrow
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I dont know if anyone else on this thread has commented on it, and I dont have time to read it all now, although at some point I will.. But has anyone else here reverted from a very "hardline" christian or catholic family?? Probably more than anything, that has been the toughest for me, especially since the only muslims I really talk to are on this forum..lol..

No doubt it is tough though being a revert... Many things that non muslims are accustomed to, particularly in american culture, like alcohol, pork, lust for women, seeing things on TV everyday, it is as far from what the religion teaches as you can get really, and it is constantly used to tempt, constantly thrown in your face, constantly readily available and accessible... May Allah (SAW) forgive me :(

Up until my mid-twenties I was a very hard line rigid Catholic. Then after that for a brief era a very strict Evangelical.

I found Catholochism at least up until the 1950s to have been much more rigid and with very many more rules and restrictions than Islam has. Much of it without explanation or logic.

MTAFFI
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Up until my mid-twenties I was a very hard line rigid Catholic. Then after that for a brief era a very strict Evangelical.

I found Catholochism at least up until the 1950s to have been much more rigid and with very many more rules and restrictions than Islam has. Much of it without explanation or logic.
Catholicism is a difficult one to follow I think, of course there is always confession if you feel bad with that... Not only that but my family (mother and father and grandparents) are hardline, not me, I never really got into it that much. I went through the motions and did a lot of reading but as far as actually following through or thinking about my religion or even really caring about it, I never did.. I did what I did more to appease my family than anything, for a while after I received my confirmation I was actually atheist, it just didnt do anything for me (catholicism).

Woodrow
06-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Catholicism is a difficult one to follow I think, of course there is always confession if you feel bad with that... Not only that but my family (mother and father and grandparents) are hardline, not me, I never really got into it that much. I went through the motions and did a lot of reading but as far as actually following through or thinking about my religion or even really caring about it, I never did.. I did what I did more to appease my family than anything, for a while after I received my confirmation I was actually atheist, it just didnt do anything for me (catholicism).
I think one of the reasons so many Catholics revert to Islam is because the difficulties involved in it do not make sense and many ex-Catholics come to see them as being man made. This in turn allows us to see the "difficulties" in Islam as not being difficulties, but acts of love for Allaah(swt) and not as ritual to pacify any earthly authority.

the difficulty comes in facing family and friends who do not understand why a Catholic could accept Islam and suddenly deny a life time of ritual and teachings.

MTAFFI
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I think one of the reasons so many Catholics revert to Islam is because the difficulties involved in it do not make sense and many ex-Catholics come to see them as being man made. This in turn allows us to see the "difficulties" in Islam as not being difficulties, but acts of love for Allaah(swt) and not as ritual to pacify any earthly authority.

the difficulty comes in facing family and friends who do not understand why a Catholic could accept Islam and suddenly deny a life time of ritual and teachings.
i could not have explained it better myself :)

Ali.
07-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Masha'Allah bro'!

Is one of the reasons your finding it tough, you have questions about Islam? If so, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.