/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arming the police

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
^^ What dya think?

Good idea or bad idea?

Are the police armed where you are from?

If yes, are crime statistics low?

Bro Woodrow, i just read that texas cops have guns yet the crime stats are extremely high, could you tell me if this is true, as I want to include it in my presentation.

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
00:00
12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
bad idea.

copper's gun can get jacked,and will probably end up in the wrong hands.

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
bad idea.

copper's gun can get jacked,and will probably end up in the wrong hands.
You trust cops.. *Shocked face*

I think cops will misuse it to fix up their own battles..

00:00
12-09-2007, 05:40 PM
You trust cops.. *Shocked face*

no.:omg:
There are loads of other reasons y it's a bad idea i jus gave 1.

guns might end up in some kids hands or some crazy person who probbaly will go round shooting innoncent ppl on the streets. Thats what i meant it might end up in wrong hands, although it' not safe in the coppers hand as well.

true.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
no.

There are loads of other reasons y it's a bad idea i jus gave 1, guns might end up in some kids hands or some crazy person who probbaly will go round shooting innoncent ppl on the streets. Thats what i meant it might end up in wrong hands, although it' not safe in the coppers hand as well.

true.

i was saying that their guns can get jacked by someone
Seen,

JazakAllah khair for your input.

Woodrow
12-09-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
^^ What dya think?

Good idea or bad idea?

Are the police armed where you are from?

If yes, are crime statistics low?

Bro Woodrow, i just read that texas cops have guns yet the crime stats are extremely high, could you tell me if this is true, as I want to include it in my presentation.

True like all police in the USA Texas cops are armed.

Texas is a little unique from the most other states as most of the citizens are also armed. a citizen over the age of 21 with no criminal record or known to be violent can obtain a concealed weapon permit and can carry a hidden weapon.

The crime rate is very high in Dallas, Houston and San Antonia. Oddly those are the cities that have local restrictions about firearm possession. In those cities the local police are also restricted as to what, when and where they can be armed and what type of weapon they can be armed with. In the remainder of the State where the police have no weapon restrictions, the crime rate is much lower than the national average.

What I find interesting about Texas is up through the 1960s Texas had very few firearms restrictions and crime rates were low. In the 1970s through the mid 1990s numerous restrictions were put in place and crime rates soared to very high rates.

In the late 1990s many of the firearms restrictions were removed. It was in this time that for the first time in Texas history the carrying of concealed weapons was legalized. Texas is once again enjoying a decrease in crime.

See this: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
True like all police in the USA Texas cops are armed.

Texas is a little unique from the most other states as most of the citizens are also armed. a citizen over the age of 21 with no criminal record or known to be violent can obtain a concealed weapon permit and can carry a hidden weapon.

The crime rate is very high in Dallas, Houston and San Antonia. Oddly those are the cities that have local restrictions about firearm possession. In those cities the local police are also restricted as to what, when and where they can be armed and what type of weapon they can be armed with. In the remainder of the State where the police have no weapon restrictions, the crime rate is much lower than the national average.

What I find interesting about Texas is up through the 1960s Texas had very few firearms restrictions and crime rates were low. In the 1970s through the mid 1990s numerous restrictions were put in place and crime rates soared to very high rates.

In the late 1990s many of the firearms restrictions were removed. It was in this time that for the first time in Texas history the carrying of concealed weapons was legalized. Texas is once again enjoying a decrease in crime.

See this: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm
Woah, How do you sleep at night, jazakAllah khair bro, nuff respect mate

Now to put you down as a reference, Hmm.. Well i can use the link, maybe I could put you down as 'brother in Islam' lol

Do cops use stun-guns? I think they might be called tazers in US

Woodrow
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Woah, How do you sleep at night, jazakAllah khair bro, nuff respect mate

Now to put you down as a reference, Hmm.. Well i can use the link, maybe I could put you down as 'brother in Islam' lol

Do cops use stun-guns? I think they might be called tazers in US
:w:

there is a difference between a stun gun and a Tazer. A tazer shoots 2 darts connected to wires that carry an electric current. The darts are barbed and embed into the person. The stun gun is essentially a small cattle prod and requires direct contact with the person. They require physical hand-to-hand confrontations to be used. Most police here do carry stun guns, in the even they are in a hand-to-hand situation with an assailant they can not physically subdue by body strength. I do not know of any Texas localities where they use Tazers.

TAZER

Media Tags are no longer supported

STUN GUN

Media Tags are no longer supported

Pk_#2
12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh seen,I didn't know thatttt,

JazakAllah for sharing,

Tsk cops shouldn't carry them things,'thugs in uniform' pssh!

chacha_jalebi
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
the police in UK, only have another coppy with them:D

in pakistan they have wooden sticks, its like after their duty in the station, they gona do some farming pssshh

personally i think in the streets, police should have some sort of baton or somethin, and in the high security need places have a bazooka :D or just be simple and have a gun :mmokay:

~Taalibah~
12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Here they are armed and the crime rate is high. Its because the cops are hand in glove with the robbers.:raging:

barney
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Bad move . British police are unarmed unless they need a rapid reaction force.
Crime here is not too bad.

I think it's a country specific thing. US cops and Iraqi Cops need to be armed. Icelandic Police ....not so much.

Pk_#2
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Bad move . British police are unarmed unless they need a rapid reaction force.
Crime here is not too bad.

I think it's a country specific thing. US cops and Iraqi Cops need to be armed. Icelandic Police ....not so much.
Yeah, I think if cops are gonna carry guns here, so will I, you do get weird cops, Buh in US it's a real dodgy place, and cops should defo protect their ****,

Thanks for all your input/jazakAllahu khairun,

Peace mercy and blessings be upon those who follow guidance/AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Keltoi
12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
It isn't just Texas. I would say half if not more of the American population owns a firearm of one form or another. It is our constitutional right, and many, many people take advantage of that.

With a population as well armed as those in the U.S., it wouldn't make much sense for our police forces to be unarmed.

barney
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Or in countries where every family has a assault rifle, like Somalia or Iraq or The Sudan or Switzerland.

Fishman
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
:sl:
I bet Icelanders are more well-armed than the average American, what with all those dangerous bears and walruses and stuff...

Pk_#2
12-10-2007, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I bet Icelanders are more well-armed than the average American, what with all those dangerous bears and walruses and stuff...
I was gonna ask what that was^^, it's a place then i guess..

I don't blame the cops for having guns in those places, I feel sorry for them and the people living there..

What do you lot think of pepper spray and batons? I mean everything that you give to the cops can be abused right?

Woodrow
12-10-2007, 08:23 PM

I don't blame the cops for having guns in those places, I feel sorry for them and the people living there..

What do you lot think of pepper spray and batons? I mean everything that you give to the cops can be abused right?

Anything can be abused. I believe if you read many allegations of abuse by police, you will find abuse by firearms is very rare. The most common abuses are done by bare hands. To a trained person their hands are deadlier than a gun. They don't miss and they don't run out of ammonition.

barney
12-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Evrything you give to the police can be abused. It depends very much on your police.
I asked a Kenyn once "Whats the best thing about Kenya?" Expecting them to say, "The scenery, the Music etc". They said "It dosnt cost much to bribe the police"

Keltoi
12-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Perhaps, but compare the population of Iceland with the population of the U.S. and put that into context.

Woodrow
12-11-2007, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps, but compare the population of Iceland with the population of the U.S. and put that into context.
Good point the entire population of Iceland is slightly less than 1/2 the population of Denver Colorado I don't think Denver has much crime either.

Perhaps crime rates are more related to population density than to guns?

Pk_#2
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Anything can be abused. I believe if you read many allegations of abuse by police, you will find abuse by firearms is very rare. The most common abuses are done by bare hands. To a trained person their hands are deadlier than a gun. They don't miss and they don't run out of ammonition.
Ouch!,

Thank you Fishman, Woodrow, Barney and Keltoi for the input,

Can Tazers kill, like guns would if you shoot someone (I know it is not always the case, but usually)?

Woodrow
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Ouch!,

Thank you Fishman, Woodrow, Barney and Keltoi for the input,

Can Tazers kill, like guns would if you shoot someone (I know it is not always the case, but usually)?

Tazers can and have killed. Insome ways they can be more dangerous then a gun as a person is more likely to use it. The only time to use one is if the target poses a threat to somebodies life. In other words if the situation does not justify lethal force a tazer should not be used.

axess1907
12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Arent every cops in the world armed with guns? I think so! Or am I wrong?

I can only tell you about the countries where I was:

Germany - Armed
Turkey - Armed
Austria - Armed
Italy - Armed
Croatia - Armed
Mazedonia - Armed
Greece - Armed
Bulgaria - Armed
Hungary - Armed

The Fact is.. that every European Countrys Police officers have guns and are armed.

Woodrow
12-11-2007, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by axess1907
Arent every cops in the world armed with guns? I think so! Or am I wrong?

I can only tell you about the countries where I was:

Germany - Armed
Turkey - Armed
Austria - Armed
Italy - Armed
Croatia - Armed
Mazedonia - Armed
Greece - Armed
Bulgaria - Armed
Hungary - Armed

The Fact is.. that every European Countrys Police officers have guns and are armed.
Iceland

The Icelandic National Police (Lögreglan and Ríkislögreglan) is Iceland's police force which is under the Ministry of Justice and Ecclesiastical affairs. The National Commissioner is the overall commander, but he answers to the minister. The police is divided into districts. Iceland also has a Customs police force (Tollgæslan) which is under the Ministry of Finance. Icelandic policemen generally do not carry firearms, instead they carry telescopic batons and pepper spray. The National Commissioner has a Special operations unit which is called Víkingasveitin.
Republic of Ireland

The Republic of Ireland has an unarmed police agency, the Garda Síochána. All officers are trained in the use of firearms but remain unarmed on patrol; the exceptions are detectives and officers assigned to Special Branch and the Emergency Response Unit (like SWAT) who are armed. This was a result of the founding of the Gardaí after the Irish Civil War (1921-23) when it was seen as a necessary step to gain public confidence for the new state and its police force. Gardaí usually patrol in patrol cars or on foot in urban areas, though some use horses or bicycles to assist them in their work.

They have a police helicopter and a fixed wing aeroplane to assist in high speed chases. There are 12,000+ Members of the Garda Síochána, possibly the highest per-capita police force in the EU.
Norway

The Norwegian national police force (Norwegian: Politiet) is subordinate to the Ministry of Justice and Police. The Politiet is divided into 27 regional police departments and seven nation-wide special departments. In total the force is comprised of about 11.000 employees, with the Oslo police precinct, as the largest, accounting for 2300.

Officers of the Politiet usually do not carry firearms, making the force one of the few unarmed police organizations in the world. They are instead armed with telescopic batons and pepper spray.
United Kingdom

There are over 52 police forces in the United Kingdom, of varying sizes and responsibilities. UK police were once known as 'Peelers' (and more commonly as 'Bobbies') after Sir Robert Peel, who created the London Metropolitan Police force in 1829. There are three general types of police force:

The majority of policing is carried out by regional 'police forces', which are police forces that cover a 'police area' (a particular region) and have an independent Police Authority. Current police forces have their grounding in the Police Act 1996, which prescribes a number of issues such as appointment of a Chief Constable, jurisdiction and responsibilities. There are also national police forces that have a specific, non-regional jurisdiction, such as the British Transport Police. The Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 refers to these as 'special police forces'.

There are a number of local police forces or 'private constabularies' that have escaped police reform, mostly having their foundations in old legislation. These have a responsibility to police specific local areas, such as ports and parks. Over the centuries there has been a wide variation in the number of police forces in the United Kingdom, with a huge number now no longer in existence. See List of former police forces in the United Kingdom for these.

With the exception of the Ministry of Defence Police, the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the Police Service of Northern Ireland the majority of British police are never routinely armed, relying on an extendable baton instead and special armed units are called in only when necessary.

Uniquely in Britain, there are police forces of Crown Dependencies such as the Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, and States of Jersey & Guernsey, who have police forces that share resources with the UK police, whilst having a separate administration within their own governments.

Fishman
12-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Of course, in the crime ridden streets of Britain, it would not make sense to arm the police with anything less than tanks and ICBMs...

Pk_#2
12-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Of course, in the crime ridden streets of Britain, it would not make sense to arm the police with anything less than tanks and ICBMs...
Bro, define ICBM's

JazakAllahu khairun everyone,

barney
12-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Just to add, the UK police are armed with pepper spray or CS gas cylinders as standard issue.

Each area has a armed response vehical in reserve with one MP5 Semiauto version of the SMG , and two Automatic's usually Berreta 92f or Browing HP's. I think some areas like London use SIG's and Glocks.

Pk_#2
12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Just to add, the UK police are armed with pepper spray or CS gas cylinders as standard issue.

Each area has a armed response vehical in reserve with one MP5 Semiauto version of the SMG , and two Automatic's usually Berreta 92f or Browing HP's. I think some areas like London use SIG's and Glocks.
I think of pepper spray as cutting onions it is not that powerful isit, in fact it's now a toy that teenagers play with,

Thanks bro for the comments.

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Iceland

Republic of Ireland

Norway

United Kingdom

^^ Where was that taken from,

Muezzin
12-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Police tend to be armed only if the population at large is also armed. In the UK, that's not really the case. Sure, there's gang warfare with adapted replica guns or smuggled guns, but most people don't own a gun. Contrast this with somewhere such as the States, where everyone is legally allowed to own a gun, and it makes sense that the police should also carry such weapons.

Alternatively, I could just dress as a giant bat.

Or not.

Woodrow
12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
^^ Where was that taken from,

I must have been ashamed to admit it came from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_by_country

My error,I thought I had posted the wiki link.

However, I did a quick search of those countries and found they were in compliant with the Wiki article.

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I must have been ashamed to admit it came from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_by_country

My error,I thought I had posted the wiki link.

However, I did a quick search of those countries and found they were in compliant with the Wiki article.
Lol wow that was quick mashaAllah,

Its okay jazakAllah I just needed to add the link for my references.

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Police tend to be armed only if the population at large is also armed. In the UK, that's not really the case. Sure, there's gang warfare with adapted replica guns or smuggled guns, but most people don't own a gun. Contrast this with somewhere such as the States, where everyone is legally allowed to own a gun, and it makes sense that the police should also carry such weapons.
JazakAllah khair for that,

Alternatively, I could just dress as a giant bat.

Or not.
No, no, go for it bruv!

Fishman
12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Bro, define ICBMs

When it goes up, you really don't want it to come back down again...

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 04:21 PM

AsalamuAlaykum, *Shocked face*,

Nice denotation - All dictionaries should contain pictures, jazakAllah khair akhi,

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Just when I need Czgibson he goes offline, Anyone willing to look at my work for me,

Its too short doh doh doh

Argh! Another 500 words to go..

Peace.

Uthman
12-29-2007, 07:48 PM

I suppose it's a question of whether or not the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Ultimately, will arming the police make any given society safer or more dangerous?

Personally, I would think the former because knowing that the police are armed will most likely act as a deterrent for crime.

Not to say that crime would disappear completely, but simply that there wouldn't be as much of it.

Pk_#2
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Personally, I would think the former because knowing that the police are armed will most likely act as a deterrent for crime.
WalaykumSalaam, I already said that it acts as a deterrence

Not to say that crime would disappear completely, but simply that there wouldn't be as much of it.

But bro Woodrows post contradicts that since states like Texas have armed coppas but there crime statistics are dangerously high!

JazakAllah khair by the way, You're a star!

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Woodrow
12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
WalaykumSalaam, I already said that it acts as a deterrence

But bro Woodrows post contradicts that since states like Texas have armed coppas but there crime statistics are dangerously high!

JazakAllah khair by the way, You're a star!

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
Actually all 50 of our states have armed police. The states with the highest crime rates and the states with the lowest crime rates. all of the cops in all of the states are under the same federal laws, and all do have armed police.

There must be some other factor involved besides if the cops are armed or not armed.

Here are the crime states for all 50 states for the years 2004 and 2005. It seems the states with the highest crimes rates are the states with the largest cities.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/...e_Ranking.html

California the state with the highest crime rate has the most large cities. Vermont the state with the lowest has no large cities. Texas number 2 on the stats has three very large cities, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. It also seems those cities account for most of the crimes in Texas.

Here are the 2006 crime stats for the 72 largest cities in the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Mr. Baldy
12-30-2007, 12:01 AM
the fact is, whatever the police come out with, criminals are gonna come up with more heat, the police got bulletproofed so the crims got teflon, the police got 9's the crims got glocks, the police got mp5's the crims got AK's... their always gonna be a step ahead.

just my 2 cents...

Pk_#2
12-30-2007, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baldy
the fact is, whatever the police come out with, criminals are gonna come up with more heat, the police got bulletproofed so the crims got teflon, the police got 9's the crims got glocks, the police got mp5's the crims got AK's... their always gonna be a step ahead.

just my 2 cents...
JazakAlllaah khair bro. Woodrow, Osman and bro. Mr Baldy..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.