/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Real Teddy Bear Tragedy By Hamza Yusuf

00:00
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
The Real Teddy Bear Tragedy
By Hamza Yusuf

In all the heat generated by the teddy bear controversy in Sudan, we are missing a deeper reality: As irrational and backward as the reaction in Khartoum might seem, it is yet another example of some Muslims attempting to assert themselves and exercise a little authority in the face of the immense onslaught of Western hegemony in the region.

The facts are that Gillian Gibbons, a British teacher at a private school in Khartoum, had her 7-year-old students name a teddy bear and they overwhelmingly chose "Muhammad." The students took turns taking the bear home and wrote a diary about what they did with it, which was compiled into a book with a picture of the bear and the title "My Name is Muhammad." Some parents were offended and the Sudanese government responded by arresting and charging Gibbons with insulting the Prophet of Islam.

The charge is without merit, of course. But it is worth noting that for Muslims, the idea of calling any object other than a human being "Muhammad" is sacrilegious. With Jews, Muslims share a prohibition of making physical images of any living things. An exception is made for children's toys. Calling the image of any animal Muhammad, a name that Muslims won't utter without a benediction is, for them, beyond the pale. Turks even prefer the contraction Mehmet to avoid using the name in common circumstances. Westerners have a hard time understanding such reverence in a markedly irreverent age.

In the West, teddy bears are objects of devotion for little children and for most adults fond memories of a cuddly teddy bear endure. A child calling a teddy bear Jesus, for instance, may seem inappropriate, but would likely elicit a response of "How cute!" Westerners are dumbfounded at what appears to be an absolutely insane response to an unfortunate lack of cultural sensitivity. But so, I would venture, are most Muslims.

I was appalled by the response of the Sudanese authorities and denounce their arrest of Ms. Gibbons. I am glad she has been released. The danger here is that despite most Sudanese being beautiful and proudly hospitable people, too many Westerners will nonetheless see them as barbarians unworthy of respect. Hence, it fuels the current attacks on them due to their government's failure to address Darfur's serious problems. Far from being xenophobic or genocidal, I know the Sudanese to be a serene and irenic desert people. Even Ms. Gibbons now says that she has been treated well by the Sudanese. "I have encountered nothing but kindness and generosity from the Sudanese people. I have great respect for the Islamic religion and would not knowingly offend anyone and I am sorry if I caused any distress," she said.

Unfortunately, millions of Muslims all over the globe are humiliated and betrayed by the ignorance and lack of basic humanity that a small minority of Muslims too often exhibits. Should I, however, bring this up with many of my Muslim brothers and sisters a common response is: "It's true, but look at what the West is doing to Muslims; 800,000 thousand dead in Iraq. And what about Palestine, Kashmir, Chechnya and the rest? Why don't Western people denounce these atrocities against us and only harp about how backward we are?" A famous Iraqi poet once wrote, "If one person is harmed it is an unpardonable sin, but a whole people's destruction is something to debate." Unfortunately, these Western horrors against the Muslims demand responses, but Muslims must also recognize and denounce these wrongs too often associated with our Prophet and our faith without always pointing fingers elsewhere.

Our current world can go one of two ways at this crossroad. We can go down the path of more violence, more hatred and more alienation, or we can attempt to understand each other, recognize our real differences, and display mutual respect. True religion -- as well as the highest secular values -- demands we take the latter road.

Indeed, the situation in Sudan is a medieval misunderstanding and overreaction. So are the myriad cases of torture, rape and pillaging that are now part of our daily patch of foreign, and increasingly, domestic news. Indeed, our dark medieval past seems to be having an ironic renaissance in the West and the Muslim world.

So when we see an irrational or misguided reaction of some Muslims, as we now see in Sudan, it behooves us to reflect on the deeper reality causing it.

Hamza Yusuf, an original "On Faith" panelist, is an American-born scholar of Islamic law and the executive director of the Zaytuna Institute in Berkeley, Calif.

Posted by Hamza Yusuf on December 6, 2007 11:54 AM

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/o...r_tragedy.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Qingu
12-11-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm glad to read a Muslim denouncing his fellow Muslims' idiocy. It's always troubling and depressing when hundreds or thousands of Muslims protest calling for someone's head to be chopped off but zero Muslims visibly call for tolerance.

I think Yusuf is a little too kind to the Sudanese. Unlike many people, I don't believe "cultural misunderstanding" can ever justify calling for someone's decapitation, no matter the perceived offense.

Malaikah
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
I'm glad to read a Muslim denouncing his fellow Muslims' idiocy. It's always troubling and depressing when hundreds or thousands of Muslims protest calling for someone's head to be chopped off but zero Muslims visibly call for tolerance.
Actually I think the problem is that just that it doesn't reach the ears of many non-Muslims. Calling for tolerance isn't exactly likely to make front page news, is it?

------
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
:salamext:

It was in the Local Metro in the UK, that Mrs. Gibbons was fearing a 'gang rape at least' whilst in prison :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
12-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Greetings,

That seems a sensible response to a crazy situation. I still can't see who benefitted from it.

I'm not sure about this bit:

Calling the image of any animal Muhammad, a name that Muslims won't utter without a benediction is, for them, beyond the pale.
Surely that's only if the word "Muhammad" refers to the Prophet (pbuh)? If you have a friend named Muhammad, you don't have to say "peace be upon him", do you?

Peace

------
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM

^^^ Nah u don't, lol, but when referring to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) you do.

czgibson
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

^^^ Nah u don't, lol, but when referring to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) you do.
Does that mean I've just proven an Islamic scholar wrong? :uuh:

Peace

------
12-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Eh? What u on about lol

- Qatada -
12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace

The reason why the whole issue was a controversy in Sudan was because i think there was a claim that her intention was bad, i.e. i think it was said that it was a plan of the west to undermine Islam through what she did. However, lots of people of knowledge criticized this since she clearly stated that it wasn't her intention to offend.

So the issue wasn't about what she did, but more about why she did it and the harm which came through that (to her as well as the Muslims receiving criticism.)

Regards.

------
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
edit

czgibson
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Greetings,

Qatada: can I ask why you've quoted me in your post? I can't see any connection between my words and yours. Was it a mistake?

Peace

- Qatada -
12-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, my bad. :) I made a mistake lol.

Just ignore it :) lol

Peace.

Malaikah
12-12-2007, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
He isn't a scholar as far as I know, and I was just as confused as you, but I think it might just be a misunderstanding of some sort.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.