/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Original Meaning - Classical (quranic) Arabic

kay106
12-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Salam brothers and sisters,

I am not trying to cast doubts into any ones mind. Forgive me if this does.

But this questions has been puzzling me for a while. Please provide me an answer, i will be grateful and pray for you, insha Allah.

Question is, that how do we know that the meaning's that are given in the translations are the original meanings as it was during the time of the prophet Muhammed (Pbuh)?

Examples - The word, which dont know how to prounce it properly, Muhsionna means vastness in space as well as expanding it. How do we know that this was the two meanings of the word during the prophets (pbuh) time and the latter weren't added on to it later? And then claiming that it is a miracle in the quran (The miracle about the universe expanding)?

Are the words in the quran still used in modern day spoken arabic?
Do they mean the same thing in both classical (quranic) as well as in the modern arabic.

Please help me defeat this shaytan, he comes to me with doubts and i say to it bring it on, i will find answers to it, insha Allah, and this will increase my iman, insha Allah. Islam always has an answer to everything! it is not a religion which we are not allowed to question, instead we are encouraged to question, hope iam correct, please guys do verify it before accepting.

Thank u my brothers and sisters hope you all paradise:-)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslim1
12-13-2007, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kay106
Salam brothers and sisters,

I am not trying to cast doubts into any ones mind. Forgive me if this does.

But this questions has been puzzling me for a while. Please provide me an answer, i will be grateful and pray for you, insha Allah.

Question is, that how do we know that the meaning's that are given in the translations are the original meanings as it was during the time of the prophet Muhammed (Pbuh)?

Examples - The word, which dont know how to prounce it properly, Muhsionna means vastness in space as well as expanding it. How do we know that this was the two meanings of the word during the prophets (pbuh) time and the latter weren't added on to it later? And then claiming that it is a miracle in the quran (The miracle about the universe expanding)?

Are the words in the quran still used in modern day spoken arabic?
Do they mean the same thing in both classical (quranic) as well as in the modern arabic.

Please help me defeat this shaytan, he comes to me with doubts and i say to it bring it on, i will find answers to it, insha Allah, and this will increase my iman, insha Allah. Islam always has an answer to everything! it is not a religion which we are not allowed to question, instead we are encouraged to question, hope iam correct, please guys do verify it before accepting.

Thank u my brothers and sisters hope you all paradise:-)

Thank you for your question. Yes we are encouraged to ask about what we dont know in Islam.

As for the translation of Quran, remember that Quran cant be really translated, so they call it TMQ: translation of the meaning of Quran.

Words in Arabic can have many shades of meanings, and we still discover illustrations to Quranic verses as we learn more and more of science.

Quran is limitless indeed. :sunny:

Faye
07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Trust me on this. Quran and the study of the Quran with all the shades of its meaning has been very well-documentated since the Prophet SAWS's time. On words which are unclear in meaning, we can go all the way back to Ahadith of the Prophet SAWS and his Companion's discussions on the meanings of those words in that particular context. Then onwards to what the Tabeen (the generation after the Sahaba) thought these words meant, and the Taba Tabeen (the generation after them), and so on and so forth. All of these are found in massive books on Tafseer, in which shades of meaning are discussed.

Also, the Khalifah Umar RA ordered the literature of the time of the prophet SAWS preserved for this very reason, that no portion of the Classical language be lost. Madrassa students all over the world regularly study these tomes of literature as well as classical Arabic grammar, and Tafseer.

Finally and most importantly Allah himself takes upon himself the responsibility of preserving the quran, which scholars say means preserving the words, correct meaning, explanation as well as the correct way of reciting, in these Ayat of Surah Qiyamah:

16. La tuharrik bihi lisanaka litaAAjala bihi
16. Move not thy tongue concerning the (Qur'an) to make haste therewith.

17. Inna AAalayna jamAAahu waqur-anahu
17. It is for Us to collect it and to promulgate it:

18. Fa-itha qara/nahu faittabiAA qur-anahu
18. But when We have promulgated it, follow thou its recital (as promulgated):

19. Thumma inna AAalayna bayanahu
19. Nay more, it is for Us to explain it (and make it clear):

Also, for personal reassurance, you may consider that the spoken language/accents change much faster than the written language. Despite this, recitations of the Quran do not sound at all like the spoken language. So if the spoken sounds of the Quran, which cannot even be written down, and must be passed down, teacher to student, are preserved, how much easier it is to preserve something which can be written down.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.