/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is christianity related to the Ancient Egyptian religion?

Belief_is_Power
12-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Salam

I have done some research and found that the ancient Egyptian religion is very similar to christianity. Let me explain..............

Horus- (Ancient Egyptian Sun God.)
Born on December 25.
Born of a virgin.
Star in the east.
Adorned by 3 kings
Teacher at 12.
Baptized/Ministry at 30.
12 disciples.
Performed miracles.
Crucified.
Dead for 3 days.
Resurrected.

Jesus of Nazareth- (Son of God in the Bible.)
Born on December 25.
Born of a virgin.
Star in the east.
Adorned by 3 kings, (also known as the 3 wise men.)
Teacher at 12.
Baptized by (John the Baptist) at age 30 and started his ministry.
Had 12 disciples.
Performed miracles, (like walking on water and healing the blind.)
Crucified.
Dead for 3 days.
Resurrected, (and ascended into heaven.)

These are just some of the similarities that both these religions have. Alot of the similarities were found on the walls of plalaces and tombs in Egypt. Is this just a coincidence or is their a connection? And how do we as muslims respond.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-12-2007, 04:07 AM
With all due respect, I'm not sure where you got your information on Horus, but much of it is simply false. Let's take it one at a time.

1. Horus was not said to be born on December 25th. He was said to be born on the last day of the Egyptian month of Khoiak, which would place it on November 15th on our calender.

2. Horus' mother was not a virgin. She was married to Osiris, and there is nothing to indicate she was supposed to have been abstinent after marriage. I would explain the entire birth myth for you, but it would probably be inappropriate for this forum.

3. As for the star in the east, nothing in the Horus myth even states that his birth was announced by a star in the east.

4. As for the "wise men", nowhere in the New Testament does it mention the exact number of wise men, so the number three has nothing to do with it. Add to that the fact that no "3 wise men" have anything to do with Horus.

5. Horus was never said to have taught at a temple at 12...he was a "god", represented by a falcon's head.

5. Horus was never Baptized...it is amazing that I even have to address that claim.

6. Horus had four "disciples", named Heru-Shemsu. There is another reference to sixteen followers, and a group of followers named "mesnui", but the number 12 is never mentioned.

7. Of course Horus was said to have performed "miracles"...he was supposedly a god. Not exactly an epiphany.

8. Horus was never crucified. There isn't even an official myth about his death.

9. Again, there isn't even a mention of his death in ancient Egyptian mythology.

10. See above.

If you are interested, this Horus/Jesus "connection" was invented by athiest websites in an attempt to discredit Christianity. Unfortunately for them, anyone with any knowledge of Egyptian mythology can easily find the outright falsehoods promoted here.

NoName55
12-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Horus was not said to be born on December 25th.
neither was Christ (according to GraceSeeker posts)
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
Salam

I have done some research and found that the ancient Egyptian religion is very similar to Christianity. ..............
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...d-he-crea.html

read all about The Issue : The nature of Christ: Was He the same substance as God or was He created

The Update>> The Nicene Creed and the Trinity, another look

Keltoi
12-12-2007, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
neither was Christ (according to GraceSeeker posts)
Actually Grace Seeker is correct, neither was Christ. I chose to concentrate on Horus.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Belief_is_Power
12-12-2007, 04:24 AM
hey dont shoot the messenger, if this is made up by athiests then it is useless info (which i have no problem with). I figured though that some of it might be false.

Isambard
12-12-2007, 05:56 AM
If christianity was a copy of the ancient egyptian religion, then I would concede to it being from God. lol

Religions thend to be rather dynamic. Anything to remain the same with so little change would indeed be quite a feat.

(Ancient) christianity was influenced by greco-roman mythology and thought, not ancient egyptian myths.

Isambard
12-12-2007, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
hey dont shoot the messenger, if this is made up by athiests then it is useless info (which i have no problem with). I figured though that some of it might be false.
I dont understand. You open by saying you have done some research, never once did you mention anyone else.

Pleause dont be intellectually dishonest.

Belief_is_Power
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I HAVE done some research, however believeing what I was researching is something different. Personally i believe that christianity was not copied from another religion, whether it be Egyptian or Greek.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.