/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chess is Haram???

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Assalamu alaikum...as always...i was looking for something...and came along another website and found something I wasn't able to resist not reading... and then I saw what the punishments were and what for... I saw liars, bla bla bla...then I saw...players of chess...im like OMG!!! here it is ....

And for those who played chess:

"In the fifth grave the dead was being beaten with the pillars of fire and he was crying very loudly. It was said about him in the same manner that he was an amateur player of chess etc. although such things are prohibited by the Apostle of Allah".

"What Happens After Death?", p. 210

Is this not desperately sad? Yes, indeed. Muhammad found this too:

"It is said by Hazrat Burra that he accompanied the Holy Prophet Sal'am in a funeral and the latter wept near a grave so excessively that the soil was moistened and upon their inquiry he told the Companions to be prepared for the grave which was so terrifying". (Ibn Maja)

omg!!! help meeeeee.. i used to play chess!!!... alhamdullah i stopped it already...1 its boring...

allahu akbar!!! if you guys want the rest of the punishments i can give em... but they are SICK...

k well i'll be back tomorrow. salam!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
12-12-2007, 05:13 AM
:sl:
errrmmmm....no offence, but how can u be sure that this is authentic?
p. 210
to what book?

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
errrmmmm....no offence, but how can u be sure that this is authentic?

to what book?

woops... its in the book.." What happens after death"

YusufNoor
12-12-2007, 05:20 AM

The World History of Chess

(idea) by Martian_Bob (1.5 mon) (print) ? 1 C! I like it! Wed Aug 08 2001 at 21:38:10

Chess seems to have originated in or near India. The oldest name for chess, chaturanga, is a Sanskrit word referring to the four branches of the Indian army: elephants, horses, chariots and footsoldiers. Chess was originally played with dice; in fact, the forerunner of the modern chessboard, the ashtapada, was used for many dice games. Both two player and four player versions of the game existed. The four player version was played both with and without dice, in which each player had eight pieces. The diceless version is still played today in India. The exact age of dice is hard to pin down; the four branches of the Indian army did not exist after the birth of Christ, and 5000 year old references to skilled "dice" players may or may not be refering to chess players.
Some variations:
The Burmese start the game with the King-side pawns on the third rank and the Queen-side pawns on the fourth rank. Before any movement begins, the major pieces can be placed by the player anywhere behind the pawns. The moves today are identical to the original Hindu chess moves.

The Chinese place their pieces on the intersections of the lines rather than on the squares, and add a celestial river, akin to no-man's land, between halves on the board. Their version only has five pawns to a side, but adds two cannons ahead of knights and a counselor on either side of the King. In China, the King is called the general, because an emperor was so insulted at seeing a figure of himself in a "lowly" game that he had the players executed. In order to play the game without risk of execution, Chinese players demoted the piece on the board.

The Japanese allow captured pieces to change sides and rejoin the game against their old army at any vacent spot on the board.

The spread of chess to Europe was courtesy of Muslims, who inherited the game from the Persians, after conquering the empire in the 7th century. The Persians weren't too fond of either dice chess or four player chess, so the diceless two player version is what we have in dominance today. Chess became very popular in the Muslim world, and the Muslims created a greatly detailed literature about it, but only after almost 100 years of debate amongst theologians to determine whether or not chess playing was contary to the teachings of Mohammed.

Russia was the first place chess made its mark in the European world, perhaps as early as the 8th century. By the 16th century, travelers to Russia reported that people of all classes played chess, whereas chess was strictly the game of nobility until the 18th century. Modern rules of chess (such as castling and the move en passant) were not in use in many parts of Russia until the 20th century.

The first major rules changes came at both European and Muslim hands around the 13th century. The first known chessboard with alternating white and black tiles was introduced around this period. Muslim documents from the 15th century note that the great Mogul Timor played a verson of chess requiring a 10x11 square board, which he called 'Great Chess.' Meanwhile, impatient Europeans started changing rules to speed things up. Originally, the Bishop could move only two squares diagonally, but could jump over pieces as a Knight. The Queen could move only one diagonal square at once. Both pieces were strengthened to range over the whole board, though the Bishop lost its power to jump.

Checkmate became rather easy to achieve given the Bishop and Queen's new found strength, so the move to castle was created. Around the same time, pawns were given the option to move one or two squares as an initial move. To prevent such a move to be used to avoid capture, the move en passant was created. Since the 16th century, no major changes to the game have been made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://bulk.microtech.com.au/angelcat/history.htm

so can all of the online alims kindly tell me WHICH version of chess is Haram?

and if it's the dice, then ANY GAME that uses a randomizer such as PC Games, XBox, PSII or whatever are Haram as well!!!!!!!!!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
12-12-2007, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
woops... its in the book.." What happens after death"
by which author.....:sunny:

snakelegs
12-12-2007, 05:27 AM
maybe this is helpful?
http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/499...tml#post855062

snakelegs
12-12-2007, 05:36 AM
also
http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/499...tml#post854296
personally, i've never heard chess associated with gambling.

------
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
:salamext:

So what about Checkers/Draughts?

chacha_jalebi
12-12-2007, 10:02 PM
typical :mmokay:

nowadays everythin is jus classed as haraam pssssh, whats next:p

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
typical :mmokay:

nowadays everythin is jus classed as haraam pssssh, whats next:p

i hope u mean that some people just make up haram things. not that everything really is haram... right? (and i didnt make this one up, i got it off another website, not me, blame them.lol)

chacha_jalebi
12-12-2007, 10:05 PM
lol yeah i meant people make it haraam, when its not:D

not your fault sister dont worry

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 10:12 PM
lol yeah i meant people make it haraam, when its not:D

not your fault sister dont worry

:phew u betta have meant that...loljk thats not my part...thats allahs part. in the punishments of graves and hell...may allah prevent us all from that

chacha_jalebi
12-12-2007, 10:16 PM
threats!! my gosh:p

lol yeah, i just think we gots to be careful what we read, books and internet, what happens is people write their views and then people read their views and start follow their view instead of following what we should follow - quran and sunnah :D

Maimunah
12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
salaam
sis who's the author?

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM
threats!! my gosh:p

lol yeah, i just think we gots to be careful what we read, books and internet, what happens is people write their views and then people read their views and start follow their view instead of following what we should follow - quran and sunnah :D
yess soo true...finally someone with a right point of view...an hey i was kiddin bout the threat...like i said...thats allahs thing..not mine.lolz

truemuslim
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maimunah
salaam
sis who's the author?

hmmm..lemme check

Umm Yoosuf
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah,

Allaah knows best sister.

Insha Allah avoid these kind of discussions since:

12.This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.
I have a student of knowledge number and email if you would like to ask him your question. PM me if you want his details.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.