/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal Foods - Quorn

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Assalam-o-Allikum
i was hoping someone could advise me in regards to Quorn foods - this company makes basically substitute meat for vegetarians, hence all the products are made from non meat ingredients such as funghi and vegtables...

As buying Halal meat is very difficult in my area ( when i do manage to buy it i do buy in bulk ) however for those times when i cant i thought this would be a good option for me...

the trouble im having is knowing if i can eat ALL the product or not.. the substitute meat products are Beef, chicken and pork.
Of course i know eating Pork is Haram. However is eating a product made entirely from non-meat products which is set to 'resemble' the taste of pork also haram?

This is their website

http://www.quorn.co.uk/CMSPage.aspx?ssbid=6

They do claim to have approval from the islamic council in regards to being halal... tho ive scanned their product packaging and am guessing they have yet to put the 'halal logo' on...

i just wanted to know the opninion of Quorn from other muslims.
Alhamdulillah, thank you for taking the time to read this

Allah Hafiz
Ayesha.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
just an update on this.. i actually emailed the company and asked them directly regarding which of their products are halal approved... this was what they replied.. and i found it quite hard to understand in place...

Dear Ayesha,

Thank you for contacting our Quorn Information Service regarding the Halal status of Quorn products.

The majority of Quorn products made at our Stokesley site have been declared as acceptable for the Halal diet, and have been certified by Yusuf Sacha of The Institute of Islamic Jurisprudence, Batley, Yorkshire. These products carry the Halal logo on their packaging, and include such frozen products as mince, pieces, uncoated fillets, burgers and sausages.

However, some of these products are then further processed at other manufacturing facilities which may not have been given Halal approval - for example they are pasteurised to extend their shelf life, or made into ready meals, breadcrumb coated, etc. Therefore, whilst as you say, all of our products are approved by the Vegetarian Society, and most of these products do not contain any alcohol which is not permitted for a halal diet, if the manufacturing facility has not been positively approved by the Halal authorities, we do not put the Halal logo on the packaging. Such products include chilled mince and pieces, chilled burgers and sausages, etc. Therefore whilst as we say chilled Quorn mince and pieces do not contain any animal derivatives other than eggs, no alcohol, and are made in our approved factory, the pasteurisation process carried out at our contract manufacturers means that they do not carry the Halal logo.

If you wish to serve only products which do carry the Halal logo therefore, then you should buy only from our frozen range of Quorn mince, pieces, sausages, etc.

Thank you once again for your enquiry. We hope that this clarifies the situation, but please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require any further information or advice.
ok so ive gathered that the frozen food range has been approved.. but as they claim they put the halal logo on their packaging.. i couldnt find it anywhere.. so i emailed them back asking if this had only just come into place by adding the logo ....
so i know to stay away from chilled products.. but i was wondering what in a 'pasteurisation process' of any foods is not halal.. or is it that the factory just hasnt been approved as yet?
anyhow... inshaAllah i will get a direct answer from them next time and then know if it is safe for me to eat....

SisterInsomniac
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Thanks sis... I wasn't sure about the Quorn products either.. That clears up a lot for me.. let me know if you hear anymore from them! Jazakillahu Khyaran

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
im hoping they will respond this coming week, inshaAllah and i shall keep you posted :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.