PDA

View Full Version : Muslim saves Jew from subway beating

Gator
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Helper 'A Hero' in NYC Subway Attack

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 12, 2007
Filed at 6:13 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- A suspected bias attack on four Jewish subway riders has resulted in a friendship between the Jewish victims and the Muslim college student who came to their aid.

Walter Adler is calling Hassan Askari a hero for intervening when Adler and three friends were assaulted on a subway train in lower Manhattan on Friday night.

The altercation erupted when Adler and his friends said ''Happy Chanukah'' to a group yelling ''Merry Christmas'' on the Brooklyn-bound train.

The 20-year-old Askari said he tried to fight off the 10 attackers, giving Adler a chance to summon police by pulling an emergency brake.

''I did what I thought was right,'' said Askari, a student at Berkeley College in Manhattan, who was allegedly punched and beaten. ''I did the best that I could to help.''

Eight men and two women have pleaded not guilty to assault, menacing and other charges in the case. Prosecutors have said the charges could be upgraded to hate crimes.

''That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York,'' said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and a lip wound.

--------------

Thought this was interesting as it involved Jews, Christians and a Muslim. Not very christian like.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
mashaAllaah ! May Allaah reward him, and guide the others

~Taalibah~
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
:sl:
That was very good of him, May Allah guide us all. Ameen

Jayda
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Helper 'A Hero' in NYC Subway Attack

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 12, 2007
Filed at 6:13 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- A suspected bias attack on four Jewish subway riders has resulted in a friendship between the Jewish victims and the Muslim college student who came to their aid.

Walter Adler is calling Hassan Askari a hero for intervening when Adler and three friends were assaulted on a subway train in lower Manhattan on Friday night.

The altercation erupted when Adler and his friends said ''Happy Chanukah'' to a group yelling ''Merry Christmas'' on the Brooklyn-bound train.

The 20-year-old Askari said he tried to fight off the 10 attackers, giving Adler a chance to summon police by pulling an emergency brake.

''I did what I thought was right,'' said Askari, a student at Berkeley College in Manhattan, who was allegedly punched and beaten. ''I did the best that I could to help.''

Eight men and two women have pleaded not guilty to assault, menacing and other charges in the case. Prosecutors have said the charges could be upgraded to hate crimes.

''That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York,'' said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and a lip wound.

--------------

Thought this was interesting as it involved Jews, Christians and a Muslim. Not very christian like.

aww... i hope they have a quick recovery. that kind of behavior is absolutely outrageous, i was concerned both by the number and by the fact men and women were doing it... i expect that sort of thing from drunk frat boys maybe, but that's outrageous.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Who says the attackers were Christian? Because they yelled "Merry Christmas"? Sorry, but that is hardly an indication of their religion.

Gator
12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
True. That's why I put the quotations around it.

[start of joke portion of post]

It could have been a bunch a buddhist ruffians, spoiling for a interfaith fight, but wanted not to tarnish their squeaky clean facade!:D

(Where's Trumble, we have to get an accounting of why they would do this!)

crayon
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
This is how all of life should be. No matter what the religion of another person is, if they need help, come to their aid.

May Allah reward him for being such a good example to us all.

Ali.
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
This is how all of life should be. No matter what the religion of another person is, if they need help, come to their aid.

May Allah reward him for being such a good example to us all.
What she said. :p

Fishman
12-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Its good to see Jews and Muslims helping eachother rather than fighting mindlessly like on some other 'discussion' (more like fightclubs, really) boards I've seen. More people need to have the attitude that the boy in the train had. It is a sunnah to help people in need...
:w:

Umer
12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Actually two of the attackers were jews themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ujkEQwxVM&e

NYCmuslim
12-13-2007, 02:16 AM
This was front page on a newspaper here in NY:

JEWS' SUBWAY HERO A MUSLIM
SAVES 'HANUKKAH' RIDERS FROM THUGS
By JENNIFER FERMINO, ERIKA MARTINEZ and PETER COX

December 12, 2007 -- A Brooklyn man whose "Happy Hanukkah" greeting landed him in the hospital said he was saved from a gang of Jew-bashing goons aboard a packed Q train by a total stranger - a modest Muslim from Bangladesh.

PHOTOS: See pictures of the alleged suspects.

Walter Adler was touched that Hassan Askari jumped to his aid while a group of thugs allegedly pummeled and taunted him and his three friends. So Adler has invited his new friend over to celebrate the Festival of Lights.

The two new pals - Adler, 23, with a broken nose and a fat lip, and Askari, 20, with two black eyes - broke bread together and laughed off the bruises the night after the fisticuffs.

"A random Muslim guy jumped in and helped a Jewish guy on Hanukkah - that's a miracle," said Adler, an honors student at Hunter College.

"He's basically a hero. Hassan jumped in to help us."

But Askari, who is studying to be an accountant, shrugged off the praise.

"I just did what I had to do," he recalled. "My parents raised me that way."

Ten people were arrested in the underground attack on Friday night - including two men who have been arrested for race crimes before.

None of the suspects had been charged with a hate crime in the Q train attack as of last night, but the Brooklyn DA's Civil Rights Bureau is handling the case.

It all began when Adler, his girlfriend, Maria Parsheva, and two other pals boarded the subway at Canal Street bound for Brooklyn and someone in another group wished them "Merry Christmas."

Adler and his pal Angelica Krischanovich responded: "Happy Hanukkah."

Apparently, those were fighting words.

"They just came at us so fast. The first thing that came into my mind was, 'Yeah, this is going to be violent,' " said Parsheva, 20.

One of the group immediately hiked up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo of Christ.

"He said, 'Happy Hanukkah, that's when the Jews killed Jesus,' " said Adler.

The group of about 14 men and women then allegedly began taunting Adler and his pals as "dirty Jews" and "Jew *****es."

Amid a huge scrum, Askari jumped in.

"I'm bleeding all over the place, there's lots of people, they're fighting with Hassan still, and I'm like, why isn't anyone else doing anything?" Adler said.

He pulled the emergency brake right before entering the DeKalb Avenue station.

Police came aboard and arrested 10 people, charging six with assault and four with unlawful assembly.

One of those collared straphangers yesterday denied making anti-Semitic taunts and said his mother is Jewish.

Joseph Jirovec, 19 - the son of a city firefighter who is currently serving in Iraq - has pleaded guilty to a 2005 bias crime against blacks.

"We are not racist against Jewish people. That whole hate-crime thing is ridiculous," the Brooklyn man said.

He claims Adler's group was drunk and taunted his group, and one yelled, "We killed Jesus."

Jirovec will soon begin serving six months for his role in the attack against four men in Gerritsen Beach.

"I'm trying to stay out of trouble," he said. "When I get out, I want to go into the military."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122007...lim_381263.htm
Link also includes a video interview.

That was very courageous and noble of Hassan to do that. May Allah reward him for this heroic deed.

- Qatada -
12-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Muslim hero breaks up train beating

By Melissa Grace

Daily News Staff Writer

The Good Samaritan who tried to stop the Christmas-versus-Chanukah subway beating has two black eyes and a sore nose - but no regrets.

"I did what I thought was right," said Hassan Askari, 20. "I did the best that I could to help."

Askari, a Bangladeshi Muslim studying at Berkeley College in Manhattan, was on a Q train headed to Brooklyn late Friday when he came to the aid of young women confronted by a group of 10 thugs.

Fearful for the women's safety, he pushed one of the men away - and was then pounced on by the group, he said.

"They grabbed me and punched and beat me up," Askari said.

"They punched me first. I didn't get a chance to punch him back."

Askari, all of 5-feet-7 and 140 pounds, said he was left with a swollen face.

He said he didn't go to the doctor because he's too busy working two waiter jobs and doesn't have the money for medical care.

He was mystified as to why the men became so outraged when the women and their male friends wished them a "Happy Chanukah" while they were yelling "Merry Christmas" on the train car.

"I don't understand," he said. "They were just being nice."

One of the Jewish victims, Walter Adler, expressed amazement that Askari took the risk to try to help.

"That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York," said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and required four stitches to close a lip wound.

Askari's interference allowed Adler to pull the emergency brake, which alerted police to trouble on the train.

Source: New York Daily News

- Qatada -
12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
:salamext:

he's a dude! :D masha Allah :)

Re.TiReD
12-13-2007, 10:23 PM
AssalamuAlaykum!

Wow masha'Allah! May Allah reward him for that! Ameen

OT- His name suggests he's descended from Jafar al Askari...Shi'aas. [Irrelevant in this case but I just found it interesting] sorry.

- Qatada -
12-13-2007, 10:25 PM

We as muslims need to show our goodness no matter who does it.. since we've got Islam haters from all ends anyway.

So yeah, alhamdulillah this is a good first step.. if we support the community, they will support us insha Allah.

Re.TiReD
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

We as muslims need to show our goodness no matter who does it.. since we've got Islam haters from all ends anyway.

So yeah, alhamdulillah this is a good first step.. if we support the community, they will support us insha Allah.
AssalamuAlaykum

No that as just an observation Akhee, it doesnt make a difference at all. Things like these portray Islam in a positive light...show that there may be a few 'rotten apples' but not all are like that, shows that islam really does mean peace...Teaches people to look at the positives in islam rather than the negatives they think they can see.

Wassalam

barney
12-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Respect to the Guy. He is a credit to his religion. :)

Malaikah
12-14-2007, 01:36 AM

I am just so disgusted by the actions of those youths who attacked the Jews. Seriously, how low can you get?

Good on the Muslim for helping.

NYCmuslim
12-14-2007, 02:55 AM
I created a thread with the same story thats still pending mod approval.

This was front page on the New York Post. The young muslim student did a very courageous and righteous deed. Its nice to finally see some positive muslim attention in the media. May Allah reward him tremendously.

Here's another link that contains a video interview.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122007...lim_381263.htm

Cognescenti
12-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Dang. That does sound courageous. That could have ended badly.

Gator
12-14-2007, 05:09 AM
This was a cool story.

(I had put my thread on this in general -

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...hristians.html

I win earliest post!!!)

Maybe mods can combine here. Should have been here and not in general.

Pygoscelis
12-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I have to say that it seems rather irrelevant that he was muslim. Just like in negative stories where they point to a muslim's religion even though that has little to do with the events they appear to be doing the same here in a positive story.

Roasted Cashew
12-14-2007, 09:11 AM
wow, good story. May GOD reward Hassan for what he did. Well, at last Muslims doing something good are making Headlines. Thanks for posting. Really made my day.

Omar_Mukhtar
12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
were was this guy trained:D just jokin

Qurratul Ayn
12-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Masha'Allaah!!! May Allaah Ta'ala bless him.

Many people can learn something from this deed.

Malaikah
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Just like in negative stories where they point to a muslim's religion even though that has little to do with the events they appear to be doing the same here in a positive story.
True, but I think the thing is that people have this idea that Muslims and Jews can;t stand each other or something, which is possibly one of the reason his religion was mentioned.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
Masha'Allaah, an amazing story... very courageous..

Cognescenti
12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_Mukhtar
were was this guy trained:D just jokin
Omar made a funny ;D

At 140 lbs he is lucky he won't have to suffer through an involuntary fast from getting his teeth knocked in.

Roasted Cashew
12-15-2007, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umer
Actually two of the attackers were jews themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ujkEQwxVM&e
Well, it doesn't say two of the ATTACKERS but two if the Suspects. I'm sure not all ten guys beat him up. What we need to know is who punched him. Why would a Jew tell another Jew - You Killed Jesus on Hanukah. It doesn't make sence.

#anyway let's not generalise all Christians just like we shouldn't generalise all Muslims. Let's promote Peace.

Qingu
12-15-2007, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Who says the attackers were Christian? Because they yelled "Merry Christmas"? Sorry, but that is hardly an indication of their religion.
No true Scotsman....

Keltoi
12-15-2007, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
No true Scotsman....
People say Merry Christmas to me all the time, and many of those people wouldn't call themselves Christians. In case you hadn't noticed, Christmas has become a secular construct.

Muezzin
12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Threads merged.

It's good news. People who would attack others for being different are just... man, I wouldn't want to be one of them. What a sad existence. I don't think the attackers were Christian - by the sounds of it, they're your garden variety skinhead, who seem to blight every culture and religion like a horrible, eternal zit.

Good display of solidarity between the Muslim and Jew. I hope this incident becomes more widely known, maybe vapourising a little of the humungous lake of bad blood between Muslims and Jews. A guy can dream...

Talib_Rayhan
12-22-2007, 03:03 AM
The guy cant even afford medicare, hes working 2 jobs to seemingly to pay for his studies, and yet his outlook is still, help others... Truly he's an example for all of us... Peace and Blessings

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.