/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Niyyah

Abid93
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
This bit of text is from one of the Islamic text books i have that teach how to perform Salah/Namaz:

"Before starting prayer, say Niyyah (intention) either verbally or in your mind."

How do i say Niyyah?
In any language?
Or is there a specific arabic *thing* i have to say?

----------
*Excuse my use of poor language.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
12-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to say: All actions are by intention, and every man shall have what he intended. Bukhaari, Muslim and others. It is given in Irwaa' (no. 22)

The worshipper must have the intention of praying the prayer for which he is standing. He must have the intention in his heart of performing a specific prayer, such as the fard (obligatory prayer) of Zuhr or of ‘Asr, or the Sunnah of those prayers. This is a condition or pillar (essential part) of the prayer, but uttering the intention verbally is a bid’ah which goes against the Sunnah, which was not suggested by any of the imams who are followed.

You can read a really good book on prayer online:

http://www.islamicboard.com/prayer/4...laah-nabi.html

Ummu Sufyaan
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
:sl:
The Intention (Niyyah). The niyyah is an action performed by the heart and has nothing to do with the tongue. It denotes the desire to do something. Thus, a person should intend to per-form wudoo´ in his heart and not with his tongue, for it has not been reported of the Prophet (:arabic5:) that he uttered his intention, neither in wudoo´, prayer, nor any other act of worship except for the Hajj. Allâh (:arabic2:) is the most knowledgeable of what a per-son harbors in his heart.
The evidence that the niyyah is obligatory is the saying of the Messenger (:arabic5:):
“All deeds depend on their intention, and each person will be rewarded according to what they intend. Whoever makes Hijrah (Emmigration) for Allâh and His Messenger, then his [reward will be that of one who made] Hijrah for Allâh and His Messenger. But whoever made Hijrah for some worldly reason, or a woman who he desired to marry, then [the reward of] his Hijrah is that thing for which he made Hijrah.” (al-Bukhâri)
What Every Muslim Must Know about Purification
Abdul Rahman Abdul Karim Al-Sheha

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.