/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The City of Atlantis - Myth?...

IbnAbdulHakim
12-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh to the muslims

Peace to all others who follow righteous guidance

"...in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea,"

-Plato, 360 B.C.

Is this a complete myth?! Or was there really once a nation above ground, which Allaah submerged into the depths... does islaam have any say on this matter?!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ranma1/2
12-14-2007, 02:40 AM
got any sources?

overall i suspect its myth based on old stories based on egyptian tales based on history.

barney
12-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Earliest recorded mention is Plato's

For it is related in our records how once upon a time your State stayed the course of a mighty host, which, starting from a distant point in the Atlantic ocean, was insolently advancing to attack the whole of Europe, and Asia to boot. For the ocean there was at that time navigable; for in front of the mouth which you Greeks call, as you say, 'the pillars of Heracles,' there lay an island which was larger than Libya and Asia together; and it was possible for the travelers of that time to cross from it to the other islands, and from the islands to the whole of the continent [25a] over against them which encompasses that veritable ocean. For all that we have here, lying within the mouth of which we speak, is evidently a haven having a narrow entrance; but that yonder is a real ocean, and the land surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest sense, a continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there existed a confederation of kings, of great and marvelous power, which held sway over all the island, and over many other islands also and parts of the continent" (Bury)…

But lets say that the books on Narnia or Lilliput, two other fictional lands, were discovered centuries from now.
Does that make them real?

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 02:53 AM
well i found a website about it, but i doubt its true especially cuz the part when it says "When the Greek gods divided the earth among themselves, Poseidon, the god of the ocean " so its probably a lie but go ahead and take a look. http://www.logoi.com/notes/atlantis.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
barney
12-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Probably a lie! LOL :)

I dont think posidon has many followers these days! He must be pretty lonely :)

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Probably a lie! LOL :)

I dont think posidon has many followers these days! He must be pretty lonely :)
lol yeah. poor "owner of the ocean"...so lonely.:cry:

:coolious::D:shade::smile:

barney
12-14-2007, 03:10 AM
There is some archeological evidence, supposedly, for an ancient advanced civilisation, that was at some point destroyed.
check out these

Hyroglphs on a Egyptian Tomb. Check out the machine in the top left.

Ancient Egyptian Apaches!

ranma1/2
12-14-2007, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
There is some archeological evidence, supposedly, for an ancient advanced civilisation, that was at some point destroyed.
check out these

Hyroglphs on a Egyptian Tomb. Check out the machine in the top left.

Ancient Egyptian Apaches!
those glyphs are actually the recarving over odler glyphs that have worn away.

ill try to find a source that shows you what was originally there.

barney
12-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Cool. I just thought they were photoshop TBH

Woodrow
12-14-2007, 03:45 AM
I have read many stories about Atlantis. I'm pretty well convinced that they do depict actual destroyed cities, but my own suspicion is that Atlantis became a catch all name for many different cities and there are many different cities making up the "Legends" of Atlantis. Each story probably contains some truth about different cities, but do not necessarily apply to any single one.

The Mediterranean region has much seismological activity. Many Islands have popped up, and many have sunk. A lot of them had cities on them most were probably very small and by themselves insignificant. The stories about each of them and seen as one city makes for tales of a huge civilization, which never was a huge civilization.

A list of the known destroyed cities in the region is quite impressive. Just one example of what is being found under the Med.

Sunday Morning News
Archaeologists Discover Ancient Cities Under Mediterranean
Aired June 4, 2000 - 8:57 a.m. ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

KYRA PHILLIPS, CNN ANCHOR: Archaeologists say they have found the ruins of several ancient cities submerged off Egypt's northern coast in the Mediterranean Sea.

As CNN's Glenn Van Zutpin reports, the cities have largely been known only through Greek tragedies.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

GLENN VAN ZUTPIN, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): They're among the cities described in Greek tragedies, and after two years of searching, archaeologists have finally found the so-called "lost cities" off the northern coast of Egypt.

The maritime explorers, led by a French archaeologist, uncovered statues, houses, and temples, where the ancient cities of Herakleion, Canopus, and Menouthis once stood. Among the relics divers pulled from the floor of the Mediterranean Sea, a life-sized black granite statue of the fertility goddess Isis.
Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../04/sm.08.html

Qingu
12-14-2007, 03:55 AM
It's interesting that Muslims are so skeptical about Plato's account of Atlantis, but they have no problems at all believing the Quran's account of the Flood, or Soddom and Gomorrah.

I agree with Woodrow that these stories may be based on kernels of truth. Some scholars, for example, think the Babylonian flood story (retold in both the Bible and the Quran) was based on an actual, destructive flooding of the Black Sea. Though I think it's quite a stretch to say they "depict actual destroyed cities."

ranma1/2
12-14-2007, 04:38 AM
here we go, i think these cover the (helicopter)
http://www.catchpenny.org/abydos.html
http://www.ufocom.org/pages/v_us/m_a...os/abydos.html

barney
12-14-2007, 04:49 AM
Cheers for that Ran.

y'know the explaination is that bits of the carving fell away.

I think it's weird that the erosion happened to look like helicopters and UFO's and all that good stuff by accident.

I'm going with my Photoshop theory, or just a fake glyph full stop.

Even so! theres about 1% of me that really wants it to be a 9000 year old apache Gunship. that would have given the Hyksos something to worry about! :)

ranma1/2
12-14-2007, 05:02 AM
no it was that varvings were a combintion of being carved over and sometimes they might have covered over older carvings (and these covers fell away or eroded.)

Of course i saw a cool japanese movie last year where peopel from modern japans miliarty got sent back to anceint japan and a crazy genreal started to make a army back there.

barney
12-14-2007, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
no it was that varvings were a combintion of being carved over and sometimes they might have covered over older carvings (and these covers fell away or eroded.)

Of course i saw a cool japanese movie last year where peopel from modern japans miliarty got sent back to anceint japan and a crazy genreal started to make a army back there.
Rocking!

Kinda like The Final Countdown: Yank film where USS Nimitz goes back to 1941 and nearly saves America from pearl harbour!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-14-2007, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
It's interesting that Muslims are so skeptical about Plato's account of Atlantis, but they have no problems at all believing the Quran's account of the Flood, or Soddom and Gomorrah.
and yet it is interesting (more like disguisting) how non muslims are so skeptical regarding the authenticity of the Quran, yet so readily accept any myth and lie....

ranma1/2
12-14-2007, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
and yet it is interesting (more like disguisting) how non muslims are so skeptical regarding the authenticity of the Quran, yet so readily accept any myth and lie....
perhaps hypocritcal for some. Im a skeptic though. Did you notice how quickly i posted against egyptian heliocopters.

As for lies. thats most likely a matter of opinon or misinformation depending on whats at stake.

barney
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I dont , for the record, beleive in egyptian helicopters....Even modern ones!

sister herb
12-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Salaam alaykum;

one "map" about this ancient myth:

Atlantis - 48,000 B.C. to 28,000 B.C.

Seems it located in the mid-atlantic rigde what is vulcanic active in couse of continental plates. Maybe it has sinked (as like the Island of Surtsey was borning).

Surtsey (Icelandic: "Surtur's island") is a volcanic island off the southern coast of Iceland. At 63.18° N 20.36° W it is also the southernmost point of Iceland. It was formed in a volcanic eruption which began 130 metres below sea level, and reached the surface on 14 November 1963.
Maybe Surtsey is the new Atlantis?

I love these funny myths :D:D:D:D They are like conspiracy theories of the ancient times.

:statisfie

Trumble
12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
What rubbish. It might be interesting if there was any suggestion it was true... but who here has 'readily accepted any myth and lie', specifically the truth of Plato's account and the historical existence of Atlantis?!

format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
well i found a website about it, but i doubt its true especially cuz the part when it says "When the Greek gods divided the earth among themselves, Poseidon, the god of the ocean " so its probably a lie but go ahead and take a look. http://www.logoi.com/notes/atlantis.html
There's a big difference between a myth (or a 'story') and a 'lie'! Not a subject I know anything about, but I quick hunt seems to show the consensus is that Plato invented the story to illustrate some points of political philosophy, maybe influenced by one or more real events as Woodrow says?

Ummu Sufyaan
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
What rubbish. It might be interesting if there was any suggestion it was true... but who here has 'readily accepted any myth and lie', specifically the truth of Plato's account and the historical existence of Atlantis?!
and who told you that i was refering to anyone here in particular?

Trumble
12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
and who told you that i was refering to anyone here in particular?
So who are these disgusting people and what are the lies and myths they accept without question? The topic of this thread is Atlantis. I had failed to appreciate you were responding to Qingu, though, and if my comment was a little harsh I apologise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.