/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Culture

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 12:57 AM
:DAssalamu Alaikum, I have no idea where I should post this, so I am sooooo sorry if its in the wrong section. :sorry:..i hope i dont get one of these :threadclo . Bismillah. I am posting this thread for us to share our traditions. We can share the food from our countries, how our countries look, etc. I think its pretty intresting in my opinion. :D I will post pics bout my country's food...

in this pic there are Malooga, qurs as-sahn on the vvery right, a yummy looking chicken in the aluminum, potato's in a homemade sauce, rice under the chicken, and im not exactly sure what the 2 other things at the bottom left are. sorry. oh and this is yemeni food. It tastes MUCH better than it looks..trust me (it looks verry good too). im born in U.S but my parents are from yemen..so now time to go to U.S food..mmmmmm.:
i'm only gonna show my fave american food.

thats my fave restaraunt..

thats my fave hamburger... its not really that big of course...

and of course, my favoratist (not a word?) food EVER.. i want some right NOW !!!! BROWNIES!!!

thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM
oh pretty please? with a cherry on top?

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
who can resist the cherry?

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
...apparantly everyone....

this is embarrasing...havin a conversation wit maself...hehe....:embarrass

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Thanaa
12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Mmm. Pancakes.

Pancake day is the best, lol!
Toad in the hole (with beef sausages, not pork, obviously) is also a really nice stodgy evening meal.

:D
Jam Roly Poly!

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
wow mouth watering..
i love yorkshire puds - yummy!

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 06:34 PM
wow lovely..THANK YOU..finally..lol...those look great..one question though...arent pancakes round and flat?

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM

gulab jaman, i loved eating these when i was in pakistan.... but only one or two as they are soooooooooooo sweet

spahgetti bolognaise, i love pasta's and lasange

yorkshire puddings, bigger the better :P with a nice roast

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
:( cant get the pics to show

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
aww..sorry

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
is this julab jaman? if it is I LOVE THEM!

and is this the spaghetti thing?

and last but not least is this yorkshire puddin?

mmmm i know the fist two but not the last one...thanks!

crayon
12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm excited about Eid sweets!!
Although I don't think this years are going to be so great, since we won't be in Syria.:(

mmmmmmmmmmm.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:39 PM
lol i love those

crayon
12-14-2007, 07:42 PM
They make them here as well, but they're not as good as the ones back home.
My mouth is literally watering just thinking about them, lol.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
tea lol i know me too, i LOVE those!!

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Darn I would show you some spanish food from El Salvador, but I am only a limited member. sorrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
Darn I would show you some spanish food from El Salvador, but I am only a limited member. sorrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
limited can post pics...cant they?

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
nahhhh, almost their though!!!!!!

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
nahhhh, almost their though!!!!!!
really? (say yes to make it 46)

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
yes.

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm getting hungary....

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 07:59 PM
3 more....

right?

Belief_is_Power
que bueno!!!

Belief_is_Power
si dos mas.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
no jourdes no pierdas la fe la se la carmal ciase

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
wazzzzzz upppppppp, thats it 50 alhumduliallah

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:01 PM
YES... now do it... oh and is anyone fasting?

Umm Hurairah
12-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

My fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav food (biryani):

My fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav drink (falooda):

My fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav ice cream (kulfi):

My fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fruit (mango):

My fav fav fav fav fav fav fav fav water (zam zam):

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
LOL those ALL LOOK AMAZING!! i wish i can taste zam zam

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Here is more...

these are jambia's usually worn on eid...

thats sorta all i can think of for right now..i would do qat..but thats sick.. messes up entire yemen pic

snakelegs
12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
i eat a lot of mexican food

here, have some dinner

bean and cheese burrito with sauce, rice, beans. mmmmmm

crayon
12-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I love mexican food with a passion.

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
mmmmmmmmmm, salvadorian tacossss, but not better then Mexican tacos. Much respect.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
ooh that looks good...u guys gettin me hungry... 2 more hours tho.. oh u reminded me MY FAVEST!!!

ITS NACHOES!! now some one tell me y'all cant resist that... i like the bottum pic better...has pepper on bottum left...mmm mmm!!!!!!!

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
woooooowww thats huge!!!!!!! sorry folks, first time.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
lol its ok..me like big pic

crayon
12-14-2007, 08:20 PM

shawrma and falafel!
i just had a falafel sandwich btw, hahaha.

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, man that looks good............... .. Ouchh I just bit my lip.

snakelegs
12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
i like falafel too.

now i think we should have us a hot fudge sundae (with coffee ice cream) so that we don't get tooooo healthy.

crayon
12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
and a bit of cheesecake never did anyone any harm...

Belief_is_Power
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
yeah thats alright but everyone needs some........ cake

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
Thanx for posting those pictures earlier, in order to be able to post pictures do i need to turn the html code thingy on?

and this thread is just too yummy!
its awesome to see all the different foods in one place!

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Lol yea im starved...was starved... but you guys just put the best food on don't you! lol...

yes, but what could the worlds largest cookie do to you?

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM
lol this must be some faaat king

u know...i just wonder...where did they make that bread?

snakelegs
12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯)
Assalam-o-Allikum
Thanx for posting those pictures earlier, in order to be able to post pictures do i need to turn the html code thingy on?

and this thread is just too yummy!
its awesome to see all the different foods in one place!
the way i do it is i put the picture in "my pictures" and then i use this program to upload them
http://photobucket.com/

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
if im doing it from google, i find the pic, click it, and again click, then copy the address bar then click that mountain thing at the top of where you write your post and paste it there.

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
lol look how many cheese there is on that!

nevesirth
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
hi..............

truemuslim
12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
assalamu alaikum

nevesirth
12-14-2007, 11:17 PM
walaykum salam

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-15-2007, 01:57 PM
the way i do it is i put the picture in "my pictures" and then i use this program to upload them
http://photobucket.com/
Assalam-o-Allikum
again thanks for the information, im a regular user of photobucket and know a lot about html so inshaAllah i can now post images...
if im doing it from google, i find the pic, click it, and again click, then copy the address bar then click that mountain thing at the top of where you write your post and paste it there.
Assalam-o-Allikum
i actually did try that method and used the button where it said 'insert image' so im not sure what i did wrong....

Woodrow
12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm mixed culture. the food I grew up with looked like somebody had spilled the buffet at a United Nations celebration.

A typical family dinner would be:

kugalis
Galumpkis
borscht
Southern Fried Chicken
Yorkshire Pudding
Boston baked beans
Stir-fried oriental vegetable

Kugalis is haram if made in the traditional method:

Lithuania has got a rich eating heritage. People are supposed to follow certain table manner. If a guest arrive during meal he or she is offered food. Lithuanian food include various recipes. One of the famous Lithuanian recipe is Kugalis. It is preferred by Lithuanian as well as tourists.

The ingredients that are needed to make Kugalis are 1 lb. bacon, 1 doz. eggs, 1 lg. onion, 1 lg. can condensed milk, 10 lbs. idaho potatoes and 2 tbsp. Salt. The process of making Kugalis is easy enough. First you have to cut bacon and cook it in a large skillet. Then you will have to chop onion and cook it in the same utensil. Onion should be cooked until it gets yellow.

Next you will have to shred potatoes in a food processor. The liquid should b drain off immediately. Then the drained potatoes should be soaked in condensed milk. Then the eggs must be mixed with the potatoes. Now you can add salt, bacon and onion. Stir it well.

The mixture is now ready to be baked for 1 hour at 350. Remove it from oven after an hour. The tasty dish is now prepared. You can serve it with sour cream. This delicious delicacy is sure to leave you asking for more.
although my family was not Muslim as I was growing up my mother made a kosher version that would also be halal. Kugalis was very popular with the Lithuanian Jews and My mother preferred their version to the traditional the only difference is you use spigutis instead of bacon. Spigutis are small pieces of dried beef fat. Sort of like real fat beef jerky.

Galumpkis are stuffed cabbage I doubt if any 2 people make it the same. this is close to how my mother made it.

Media Tags are no longer supported

Borscht is a cold beet soup served as an appetizer. I grew up on the traditional Russian Version.

This is as best I remember it.

BEET BORSCHT

2 lbs. beets without tops
About 4 c. water
1 sm. onion, chopped
2 eggs
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. vinegar
Salt and pepper
Sour Cream

Peel beets and coarsely shred through large holes of a grater (you should have about 5 cups). In a 4 to 5-quart pan, combine beets, 4 cups of the water, and onion. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beets are tender to bite, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Add eggs, sugar, and vinegar.

Whirl beet mixture, a portion at a time, with a food whisk until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.

Just before serving, stir borscht; if too thick to sip, add water to thin soup to desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with sour creams. Makes about 6 servings.

Thanaa
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
wow lovely..THANK YOU..finally..lol...those look great..one question though...arent pancakes round and flat?
Yeah, sis. :D
Its traditional to sprinkle lemon juice and sugar on them, and then roll them up.
Makes it so much easier to shove them in my mouth too, lol! ;D:thumbs_up

Woodrow
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
one problem with that is it is hot linking. People with small band width and/or have copyrighted their images, get very upset about that and then the admins get all kinds of unfriendly emails and then us mods get all upset.

this thread was the result of me Hot linking to one image. one of the very few times I ever hot linked.

http://www.islamicboard.com/forum-he...ght-stuff.html

Most of the time it is not so much copyright problems. It is Band width. When a person exceeds their band width for the month all of their images they have posted get turned into a red X with the number of viewers we have each day a person with small band width will run out of their bandwisth allotment very fast if their images are hot linked to here.

always download images to your PC and then to your image host, before posting them on a forum.

truemuslim
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
woops...hehe...sorry...^^^ and woodrow my mom makes that stuffed cabbage all the time!! YUM...we call it malfoof tho.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.