/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to Respond to a non-muslims questions / accusations

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
i would like to ask the question of how a new muslim like myself should respond to questions / accusations from non muslims.

Example 1 - My mother is a christian and as mothers and daughter do... chat about mosts things and everything and sometimes religion does come into the conversation.
My husband advised me NOT to discuss religion with her because i am a learning muslim and to politely say ' i dont want to discuss religion with you', However also added that If she asked soemthing about islam and i 100% knew the answer i SHOULD answer her question, because its a duty of a muslim to spread the good word of islam.
Is there any other advice in how i should respond to family or work collegues that ask questions or wish to discuss religion

Example 2 - How should a muslim conduct oneself when faced with accusations from non-muslims abusing or stating incorrect information concerning islam?
i know an obvious asnwer would be ' to ignor it ' , however its not always as simple as that, there are sometimes situations where you are forced for a reaction... and i would like advice from experienced muslims on how to handle such situation....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
12-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Åÿê§hå

This is always a tough problem; the bottom line is you will only ever have one mother. How has your mother been towards you now that you have turned towards Islam, does it cause friction between you?

Suppose you had a daughter and she grows up and wants to become a Christian or Hindu, what would you do?

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith friendship

Eric

barney
12-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I think "never discuss religion or politics with mates or family"

If they ask a question, i would say sure answer it, but if it looks like it's heading into a logical/theological debate, then laugh it off and say "each to their own" and then talk about who's winning the X - Factor.

dneif
12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
TRY ur best to explain but avoid getting into uncalled for arguments

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Åÿê§hå

This is always a tough problem; the bottom line is you will only ever have one mother. How has your mother been towards you now that you have turned towards Islam, does it cause friction between you?

Suppose you had a daughter and she grows up and wants to become a Christian or Hindu, what would you do?

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith friendship

Eric
Assalam-o-Allikum
My mother has been more than supportive, she was actually extremly happy that i had ' found god '
Friction - Ermmm looking at it.. not really.. just maybe a little when the discussion of 'religion' comes up.. but i dont think its friction more than the feeling of arkwardness... but no to the point where it would cause harmm.. more like a 'safe' arkwardness ... lol i hope inshaAllah im making sense.... My younger brothers are also ok about it... tho trying to explain things to my 12 year old brother is sometimes fustrating.. he completely accepts im a muslim, but when it comes to 'family days out' it is him who has to choose which hijab i wear.... lol maybe he is better at colour co-ordinating than me...
my own daughter... this is really a tricky question because no one can see or predict the future... but i would encourage her to follow islam, and would always tell her the benefits of an islamic life etc once my children are grown up i would hope they take my advice but of course an 'adult' is free to choose their own path in life, but for me.. i would never disown my daughter in regards to religion but really i couldnt comment on that... because its just too far ahead in the future. and even tho i dont have any children yet inshaAllah i will be blessed with children and i do have plans to send them to islamic classes from a very early age.

i hope this answered oyur questions....

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
I think "never discuss religion or politics with mates or family"

If they ask a question, i would say sure answer it, but if it looks like it's heading into a logical/theological debate, then laugh it off and say "each to their own" and then talk about who's winning the X - Factor.

TRY ur best to explain but avoid getting into uncalled for arguments
Assalam-o-Allikum
i feel this is very well for the example one i gave.. but how could you apply this to the second situation?

dneif
12-15-2007, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯)
Assalam-o-Allikum Assalam-o-Allikum
thanx for the advice

Assalam-o-Allikum
i feel this is very well for the example one i gave.. but how could you apply this to the second situation?
for the second question, its simple, just delete their posts and ban them from the forum

tigersabre
12-15-2007, 09:27 PM
If there is something you don't know, it's ok to say you don't know and that you'll look it up and get back to them.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
for the second question, its simple, just delete their posts and ban them from the forum
Assalam-o-Allikum
well i was kinda refering it to REAL LIFE.. not internet...

Eric H
12-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Blessings and peace be with you Åÿê§hå
My mother has been more than supportive, she was actually extremly happy that i had ' found god '
Your mother sounds very wise, presumably she brought you up in the hope that you might also be a Christian, but understands that as an adult you must now find your own way in life.

Your mother might live her life to the end as a Christian, and you might well live your life to the end as a Muslim. The greater challenge in life will be how do you keep that love for each other despite all your differences? Your brothers seem cool also. In ten, twenty, thirty years time you will still want to have a good relationship with your mum and your family.

Sadly I have witnessed family members driven apart by differences and they haven’t spoken to each other in years and that seems tragic.

I sense that you may have a struggle on your hand bringing your husband and your family together, but as the Prophet pbuh. said there is no compulsion in religion. I believe there are many stories about the Prophet showing continued kindness to non Muslims.

Is there any other advice in how i should respond to family or work collegues that ask questions or wish to discuss religion
You might find that once people know you have a faith that they will not bring up the topic of religion, simply because everyone knows that religious people are out to convert.

In Christianity it has been said spread the Gospels only use words if you have to. This means more about living what you teach rather than talking about it or preaching.
Simply live Islam in the best way you can, be kind, helpful, charitable, support others in their need. You have to earn the right to be heard.
You might tell people how Islam has helped you, how you came to Islam, your own personal story may carry more weight than quoting passages.

Be aware that you may want to talk Islam, and the other person is a fundamental atheist or Christian. Many people know about religion and have been damaged by religion.

God chooses whom he wills, the results of whatever you say is in the hands of God and he uses you in the way he sees best when spreading his word.

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith friendships

Eric

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-19-2007, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Blessings and peace be with you Åÿê§hå

Your mother sounds very wise, presumably she brought you up in the hope that you might also be a Christian, but understands that as an adult you must now find your own way in life.

Your mother might live her life to the end as a Christian, and you might well live your life to the end as a Muslim. The greater challenge in life will be how do you keep that love for each other despite all your differences? Your brothers seem cool also. In ten, twenty, thirty years time you will still want to have a good relationship with your mum and your family.

Sadly I have witnessed family members driven apart by differences and they haven’t spoken to each other in years and that seems tragic.

I sense that you may have a struggle on your hand bringing your husband and your family together, but as the Prophet pbuh. said there is no compulsion in religion. I believe there are many stories about the Prophet showing continued kindness to non Muslims.

You might find that once people know you have a faith that they will not bring up the topic of religion, simply because everyone knows that religious people are out to convert.

In Christianity it has been said spread the Gospels only use words if you have to. This means more about living what you teach rather than talking about it or preaching.
Simply live Islam in the best way you can, be kind, helpful, charitable, support others in their need. You have to earn the right to be heard.
You might tell people how Islam has helped you, how you came to Islam, your own personal story may carry more weight than quoting passages.

Be aware that you may want to talk Islam, and the other person is a fundamental atheist or Christian. Many people know about religion and have been damaged by religion.

God chooses whom he wills, the results of whatever you say is in the hands of God and he uses you in the way he sees best when spreading his word.

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith friendships

Eric
Assalam o Allikum
JazakAllahu
your comments and advice really touched me and thank you so much for giving time to respond to my question

adeeb
12-23-2007, 03:23 AM
respond it with ure heart and feelings, if u think u can answer, answer it with good manner... if u dont think u can answer just ignore it...in the bottom of ure heart u know that they said and thought wrong thing abot islam...

pray for them, May Allah guide them all

Souljette
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
If the non-muslim has questions and luk like they want to learn and not just use it against you in some way or other then you tell them what you know and if you don't know tell them you will let them know after searching about it a little more...with accusations ...throw them off by saying something good abotu islam or by saying that what makes you say what you say? ....salamualikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.