/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Forgiveness

- Qatada -
09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
asalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Seeking Forgiveness

All perfect praise is due to Allaah; I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad is His Slave and Messenger, may Allaah exalt his mention, as well as that of his family and all his companions.

Allaah Almighty frequently mentions and addresses the topic of seeking forgiveness in the Qur’aan; He says:

وَاسْتَغْفِرُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ

which means: “…And ask forgiveness of Allaah. Indeed, Allaah is the forgiving and Merciful.” [Al-Baqarah: 199]

And also:

وَأَنْ اسْتَغْفِرُوا رَبَّكُمْ ثُمَّ تُوبُوا إِلَيْهِ

which means: “And seek forgiveness of your Lord and repent to Him…” [Hood: 3]

And also:

وَمَنْ يَعْمَلْ سُوءًا أَوْ يَظْلِمْ نَفْسَهُ ثُمَّ يَسْتَغْفِرِ اللَّهَ يَجِدِ اللَّهَ غَفُورًا رَحِيمًا

which means: “And whoever does a wrong or wrongs himself but then seeks forgiveness of Allaah will find Allaah Forgiving and Merciful.” [An-Nisaa’: 110]

Those most knowledgeable of Allaah are the most fervent in seeking His forgiveness:

Al-Agharr Al-Muzani, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: “The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “Sometimes I sense a veil over my heart; I therefore supplicate to Allaah for forgiveness a hundred times a day.” [Muslim]

Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saying: “I swear by Allaah that I seek Allaah's pardon and turn to Him in repentance more than seventy times a day.”" [Al-Bukhaari]

Ibn ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: "We used to count the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam saying one-hundred times in a single sitting: “O my Lord! Forgive me and accept my repentance. Indeed, You are the One who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.”" [Abu Daawood]

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: “Seeking forgiveness is usually the result of the slave doing something disliked, or performing a deed in an incomplete manner; it is (therefore) a means to ascend from a low rank to a higher one. Quite often it is mentioned in connection with repentance, and in such a case, seeking forgiveness is the action of the tongue while repentance is the physical aspect by which one refrains from the sin with his limbs and heart. Otherwise, forgiveness results from the mere seeking of forgiveness. Anas bin Maalik, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: ‘I heard the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam saying: “Allaah says, ‘O son of Aadam! As long as you call unto Me and seek (forgiveness) from Me, I will forgive you for all of the sins that you may commit, and I do not care (how many they amount to). O son of Aadam! If you come to Me with what is almost as much as the earth (in volume) in sins, but you meet Me without having associated any partner with Me in worship, I will give you the same amount of forgiveness.”' [At-Tirmithi]” [End of quote]

Seeking forgiveness is the advice of the Prophets and Messengers:

Allaah informs us that Prophet Nooh, may Allaah exalt his mention, said to his people:

استغفروا ربكم إنه كان غفاراً

which means: “…'Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver.” [Nooh: 10]

Also, Prophet Saalih, may Allaah exalt his mention, said to his people:

لولا تستغفرون الله لعلكم ترحمون

which means: “…'Why do you not seek forgiveness of Allaah that you may receive mercy?'” [An-Naml: 46]

Prophet Shu’ayb, may Allaah exalt his mention, said to his people:

واستغفروا ربكم ثم توبوا إليه إن ربي رحيم ودود

which means: “'And ask forgiveness of your Lord and then repent to Him. Indeed, my Lord is Merciful and Affectionate.'” [Hood: 90]

The disliked way of seeking forgiveness:

There are certain ways of seeking forgiveness that are disliked or even prohibited. Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “You must not supplicate (by saying, for example): `O Allaah! Forgive me if You wish! O Allaah bestow mercy upon me if You wish!` Rather, beg Allaah with certitude and assurance, for no one has the power to compel Allaah. A supplication should be made with full confidence, and one should persistently express his desire (before Allaah) in his supplication, for no bounty is too great for Allaah to bestow (upon His slaves).” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

Imaam Ibn ‘Abdul-Barr, may Allaah have mercy upon him, stated in his commentary of this narration: “It is not permissible for someone to say (for example): `O Allaah! Grant me such and such if You wish` from worldly matters or those of the Hereafter. This is because Allaah does as He pleases. The clear wording of the narration entails that it is forbidden to use such a form. On the other hand, Imaam An-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy upon him, understood such an action to be disliked only, which is a more appropriate way of understanding the narration than those who ruled it to be forbidden.” [End of quote]

Imaam Ibn Battaal, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said in his commentary of this narration: “The narration instructs us to exert great effort in supplicating earnestly and be hopeful of the (positive) response. It also teaches us not to despair of the mercy of Allaah, because one is supplicating He who is the Most Generous.” [End of quote]

The forbidden way of seeking forgiveness:

This is when one seeks forgiveness for the disbelievers and polytheists. Allaah emphatically forbids this when he says:

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنْ يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُوْلِي قُرْبَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ

which means: “It is not for the Prophet and those who have believed to ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even if they were relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are companions of Hellfire.” [At-Tawbah: 113] Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: “Seeking forgiveness for the disbelievers is forbidden in the Qur’aan, the Sunnah and by the consensus of the Muslim scholars” [End of quote]

The fruits of seeking forgiveness:

There are many fruits of seeking forgiveness, knowledge of which would assist one in never abandoning it. The following are some of them:

· ‘Abdullaah bin Busr, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “Glad tidings are for he who finds in his record of deeds much seeking of forgiveness.” [Ibn Maajah]

· Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “A man’s rank will be made to ascend in Paradise; he will therefore inquire: `How did I gain this?` It would be said to him: `This is due to your son seeking forgiveness for you.'” [Ibn Maajah]

· The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “Let he who would like to rejoice when receiving his record of deeds supplicate much for forgiveness.”

· It eradicates sins.

· It maintains the soundness and purity of the heart. Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “A black dot will be placed in the heart of any slave who commits a sin; but if he stops, seeks forgiveness and repents, then his heart will be cleansed.” [Ibn Maajah]

· ‘Abdullaah bin `Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: “O women folk! You should give charity and be diligent in seeking Allaah's forgiveness because I have seen (on the Night of the Ascension to the highest heavens) that the dwellers of the Hell are mostly women.” [Ibn Maajah]

· Ibn Mas`ood, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: “The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said: “He who says: `Astaghfirullaah-illadhi laa ilaaha illaa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyoomu, wa atoobu ilayhi' (i.e., 'I seek the forgiveness of Allaah, there is no true deity except Allaah, the Ever-Living, the Self-Subsisting, and I turn to Him in repentance'), his sins will be forgiven, even if he had fled from the battlefield (while fighting for the Cause of Allaah).”" [Abu Daawood, At-Tirmithi & Al-Haakim]

How our Salaf sought forgiveness:

· ‘Abdullaah bin `Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, would pray the optional night prayers, then he would ask: “Is it Sahar (i.e., the time that immediately precedes dawn) yet?” If he was answered in the affirmative, he would increase in supplicating and seeking forgiveness until dawn arrived.

· Haatib, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: “I heard a man who was sitting in a corner of the mosque saying at the time of Sahar: `O my Lord! You have commanded me and I have obeyed You, and this is the time of Sahar, so forgive me.` When I looked to see who he was, I found that it was Ibn Mas’ood, may Allaah be pleased with him.” [End of quote]

· Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: “We were commanded that whenever we finished praying the optional night prayers, we should seek forgiveness, at the end of the time of Sahar, seventy times.” [End of quote]

· Maalik bin Deenaar, may Allaah have mercy upon him, would say: "The pious would advise and remind each other with three things: to imprison their tongues, to seek forgiveness, and to not excessively mix with people.” [End of quote]

· Qataadah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: “The Qur’aan will lead you to both your disease and your cure. As for your disease, it is your sins, and as for your cure, it is seeking forgiveness. Therefore, if you are worried about your sins, then seek forgiveness for them abundantly.” [End of quote]

This is how the Companions and the righteous generation that followed them in faith would abundantly repent and seek the forgiveness of Allaah.

http://www.islamicaudiovideo.com/eng...ubjref=167&v=7

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mu'maneen
09-23-2005, 01:41 AM
:sl:

Excellent read, Mashah'Allah. Jaza Allah Kher Fe Dunya Wal Akhira Dear Brother of Islam.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

Misz_Muslimah
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
bumpp..
Mashallah..great article..
Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.