/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How did you leave it?

------
12-15-2007, 03:01 PM
:salamext:

I just wanted to ask brothers and sisters, born Muslim and reverts, that if you used to listen to music before you reverted or before you became practising, what made you leave it, and what steps did you take to leave it? And was it hard?

Jazaak Allaah Khayr in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
transition?
12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I never listened to music until 3 yrs ago.
I never enjoyed music. But suddenly I got pulled into the "punk rock" craze. Only because, I enjoyed "defying the norm" at school. I enjoy the idea of being different, but I always feel guilty right after I enjoy a song especially about the "drugs, sex, & rocknroll* theme of most song I listen to.

Luckily, I never got an ipod/mp3 player until now.
And even then I don't have any songs on it. I decided I'm going to put lectures and documentaries on it ^_^
Every time I want to listen to something nice. I play the athaan over and over, I'm going to start to play the Quran too, learn some new ayats & surahs instead of song lyrics

And when I feel a bit tired. I carry around motivational speakers CDs I have about a whole collection of Tony Robbins, John C Maxwell, and my parents bought this amazing CD collection about the Hereafter and the Prophets. There is always the option of watching a documentary (the new ones have amazing footage of nature). There is also reading a book.

You just have to find your niche, what works for you. But you have to really want to stop listening. In a way, you have to change the feeling about music in your heart.
Then,

transition?
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah, it's good idea to delete al the songs you have on your iTunes or any other downloads.
Put old CDs in the basement and replace them with something else.

------
12-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Jazaak Allaah Khayr. Any other views Inshaa Allaah?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
That's been one of the most difficult things for me so far, I'm still really struggling with it.

I did it gradually, started off by buying no more CD's. But then my friends started to copy them for me, and I started to download music from online, so that wasn't very helpful. I went through a period where all my studying was done listening to music. So that's like 3 or 4 hours a day non stop music. Astaghfirullah. I kept making duaa for allah to make me hate music, to stop listening to it.

Then I broke all my CD's. I didn't give them away, or just keep them in a drawer, for fear of temptation. I broke them. Then my hand started to hurt and shards were flying everywhere, so I ended up gluing them all together, lol.

But I still had the music on my computer. That one was hard. I wouldn't listen to it, just kept it there. Once in a while I would forget the tune of a song and listen to it once or twice. Then stop.

Eventually I deleted the entire folder.

I completely stopped listening to music for a while, but I've regressed, lately.
I still occasionally google a song and listen to it. Sigh.
Problem is, when it's so easy to come by, it's so difficult to get away from.

I still sing the lyrics of the songs I remember, so that sort of helps (they're not the kind with bad descriptions and lyrics, btw). Though lately I'm not sure whether it helps more than it harms, or not.

But yeah.
I'm not sure if that helps anyway, I was just sort of rambling.
Sigh.

Salam.

Kittygyal
12-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Assalamualikum.

Yes it was hard and it took me a while to leave music, yet at times i do want to listen to it :(. It all started when i got down to deen and when my Aalimah gave me a big lecture on how i will get there in Janah rather listening to horrid music...
Alhamdulilah, now that i have come to the right path all i want in my life is Me,My lord, and the Sunnah. Without Qura'an there's nothing!!. Learning the Qura'an and the meaning subhan'Allaah you will feel how much were blessed to be Muslims. Alhamdulilah.Music won't go down with us rather put us in danger!

The steps on not listening to music are tough but if you seriously want to go to janah then anything can be done! Thats why we need to think 'why are we on this earth?!'.. Delete every music you have read the Qura'an and understand it's meaning rather listening to nasty music..always think how much you will get in Janah.
I stopped slowly by slowly and started listening to Qari-Basit Qura'an recitation after that day his voice Masha'Allaah really got to me. I had a big lecture by my Aalimah and seriously i was in tears thinking.. why did i revert in the first place if im going to act upon sins!.. Then gradually i stopped Alhamdulilah.
Music brings hiprocosy to the heart.May Allaah forgive us all Amim thumma amin ya rabbil alameen.

I can go on forever, but im sowiee im kinda out town..

Ma'assalama

Intisar
12-15-2007, 11:00 PM
:w: Still haven't completely ''left'' music perse, because it is virtually everywhere, but as a Muslim I feel that it is my duty to not listen to music. Like others have said, if you have the urge to listen to music because you own an mp3 device or an IPOD, then utilize it in a way that will assist you in becoming closer to Allah and being an overall good Muslim. Add some lectures, surahs, and maybe some nasheeds as well. Also, make sure that when you're on the computer that you have bookmarks left for you to watch some good lectures.

InshaAllah you're able to quit music all together, allahuma ameen.

Alim Apprentice
12-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Man.. this is a tough one. I try to avoid music with lewd lyrics. I thought techno music would be appropriate because they hardly "sing" in them anyway. However, from time to time I can't resist listening to a good tune =(

But anyways, I believe listening to nasheeds and recitations of the Quran would help with the transition. As the sister said in the last post, make good use of the mp3 or Ipod to help increase your Iman. Technology always helps!

------
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM

*BUMP

Mikayeel
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Wa 3alekum alsalaam wa rahmat allah wa barakatahu!, one day i felt i dont like the music i lissen to its a waste of time... because all the tunes i lissen to are the same and they pretty much meaningless and since its haram i might aswell just stop it since it does not benefit me..
and since since am getting on well with anasheed(very nice meanings) but its a shame they make so much anasheed with music since people like lissening to anasheed because they contain no music.. isnshallah we all can keep up the strength to keep away from music:) wa alekum alsalaam

------
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM

bUmPpPpPpP!

Umar001
06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Bismillah, Wa Salam Alaykum The best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, so if my words are in contradiction to it, then disregard them! And if you dont Im free of your actions!

Erm, I know a brother who used to wake up and put music on, so as he changed and get ready all he would hear is music.

He'd listen to it on his way to school, and way back, and spend time in class writing songs. Then this brother became Muslim.

He still struggled, I mean, depending on what you are like music effects you in different ways, some people 'listen' to music, others just 'hear' music, one is attached closely to the figures he listens to and the other is not that much, he may like them but not that attached to the point that they are like parental figures to him. So it depends on who you are.

Anyhow, this brother was actually making songs and so forth in school, and towards the time of becoming Muslim he was really into it.

But, as he approached Islam, he found himself, instead of listening to a tape of music in the morning, he would put on a speaker, to the point that he memorised parts of the talk on the tape before becoming Muslim! Trust I tested him lol.

After becoming Muslim he still had problems, first he heard people say it was halal and others haram and so forth, so here are the steps:

1. Find out the ruling clearly, the cure for doubt is knowledge. The brother found out the evidences, so as to leave no doubt. So later on when shaytan wisphered to him, he could not say 'Oh maybe it is halal let me listen cos some say its halal'. No! Rather he found out the clear ruling leaving no doubt!

2. Took steps towards changing, tried to delete the music he had, and the music he was making. He didn't go to the websites his music friends were on because he knew he would be tempted to make songs.

3. He kept busy.

4. He understood that the body sometimes is lazy and can't listen to Qur'an, especially if you dont know arabic, for hours and hours, I dont think theres a shame in that, for even those better than use take breaks! So he would take breaks so not to wear himself out, and listen to Poetry, real islamic poetry, not 'Allahu Alllahu Alllahu...' or 'He Was Muhammad, Sallahu Alayhi Wa Salaaaaaaaaaaaaaam..Muhammad Mercy of All Mankind, Teacher of All Mankind, OHHHHHHHH Habibi Muhammad' none of that, but pure poetry, listen to Bayquniyyah, listen to Nuniyyah, listen to `Ishrat ul-Ikhwaan'. Some may think that is extreme, but you know what, when you listen to 4 shaved singers looking like pop stars sining songs with beatboxing and so forth, that's just going to aid you to move back to your old self, well tahts what the brother found. So when your singing to 'Make dua, when you feel somethings wrong, Make dua, OHHHHHHHH OHHHHH OHHH OHHH, Make dua, Its hard, to see, brothers and sisters suffering...' and that stuff, you'll only fall back and you'll find yourself soon singing 'Tonight...Ill be your naughty Girl...tell all your boys' trust, I remember in my Christian Union a preacher asking how people praise God with such words lol, its true.

Anyhow I think thats about it. Should keep the keen reader busy.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.