/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Make Me A Muslim . . . .

chacha_jalebi
12-16-2007, 09:25 PM
salaam ma alaykum

did anyone watch that show on ch4?

its goooood, i like :D

i dont like the white woman who is datin that muslim guy and the imam called muhammad :p they annoy me

its gona come on next week again ...

any views peoples

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Wa'alaykum salam

The net decided to go bonk round that time so i watched some of it...its kinda funny...good idea methinks...but there were parts in it where i thought...'Hmmm, that part of islam needs explaining a little better'...but other than that...Its going to be interesting, that I can tell *grin*

Nyomi
12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Waalaikumassalaamu!

Yep i watched this, was quite good and so funny too.

Just to let you know sis, it's on tv again tomorrow night and the night after and not next week as you have stated :)

'Abd al-Baari
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
:sl:

That 'guy' was annoying me, but i only watched about 10 minutes of it- i hope you understand who i mean :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
12-16-2007, 09:33 PM
yaa i was sayin that, they need to explain a bit more

lol you know that sheikh sulayman he gangsta lol, he comes on islam channel bless him. he wicked, he the bestest out of all of them

chacha_jalebi
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

That 'guy' was annoying me, but i only watched about 10 minutes of it- i hope you understand who i mean :)
no i dont can you be more specific bro :p

'Abd al-Baari

lol you know that sheikh sulayman he gangsta lol, he comes on islam channel bless him. he wicked, he the bestest out of all of them
yeh he was cool, btw do you know where this was set bro?

no i dont can you be more specific bro
You serious:? lol, did you watch it all?

chacha_jalebi
12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
^ i think yorkshire, that some where near the top of england :D

'Abd al-Baari
12-16-2007, 09:36 PM

I thought it was, not far from here :) Jazaka'Allah Khayr

chacha_jalebi
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
lol are you talkin about the muhammad imam guy? the one i talked about lol . ..

bless them all they doin good but i think they should try to explain more

Re.TiReD
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

I thought it was, not far from here :) Jazaka'Allah Khayr
AssalamuAlaykum

yeah its quite near *grin*

and tell Brother Chacha that you're talking about the Yag, he'll totally get you then. *grin*

chacha_jalebi
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
are you talkin about the lady boy:p

i actually thought he was kool man, i hope all of them are guided to the truth:D

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
i too just watched the show on channel 4+1 hour...
i thought it was a good episode and im looking forward to seeing the next ones,
i think yorkshire, that some where near the top of england
Lol... to me Yorkshire especially bradford is WAYYYYYYY down south lol... i consider myself as livng near the top of england.. close to the Scotish border :P

Mysterious Uk
12-16-2007, 11:16 PM
I was hoping someone would post something about the show...so thanx for this. The show really really annoyed me because there were so many points in the show where things could have been explained properly, for example why girls wear the headscarf. I'm still going to watch it though cos i think it is funny. Especially the gay guy, how hilarious.

Re.TiReD
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

One point I forgot to mention is the Imaam Muhammad going to search for a wife for the Gay bloke...Now as a Muslim (Alhamdulillah) I'd be freaked out to see an Imaam doing that on the streets...I wonder what the Non-Muslims must have thought?

aamirsaab
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I think the tasks are a bit silly. They should concentrate on the explanations of the rulings as opposed to just saying: 'oh you look like a female' in addition to 'you are inviting yourself to be raped with these clothing' (words to that effect). No wonder that english girl went psycho on him.

There is one imaam on the show who can explain it well - not suleiman or muhammad or the revert/convert sis (don't know much about her as the show hardly gives her much air time) but that other other guy (I forgot his name) - he's just like me: the man. That can. From pakistan.

Also, they should have had another sister or at the very least have the revert sis explaining with the non-muslim females. It seemed a little random with which imam is being sent where and it got to an extent they had to use 2 imaams on one guy (they had to go back to him and send another Imam). Bah, they should have set it in leicester At-taqwa mosque. Would have been much better.

Still, at least the show is being aired. I just hope it doesn't end in tears, like most of C4's recent Islamic/muslim related shows (well, anything after 'dispatches: what muslims want' - which I must admit was actually quite good. The rest, however, were a load of tosh)

Re.TiReD
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I think the tasks are a bit silly. They should concentrate on the explanations of the rulings as opposed to just saying: 'oh you look like a female' in addition to 'you are inviting yourself to be raped with these clothing' (words to that effect). No wonder that english girl went psycho on him.

There is one imaam on the show who can explain it well - not suleiman or muhammad or the revert/convert sis (don't know much about her as the show hardly gives her much air time) but that other other guy (I forgot his name) - he's just like me: the man. That can. From pakistan.

Also, they should have had another sister or at the very least have the revert sis explaining with the non-muslim females. It seemed a little random with which imam is being sent where and it got to an extent they had to use 2 imaams on one guy (they had to go back to him and send another Imam). Bah, they should have set it in leicester At-taqwa mosque. Would have been much better.

Still, at least the show is being aired. I just hope it doesn't end in tears, like most of C4's recent Islamic/muslim related shows (well, anything after 'dispatches: what muslims want' - which I must admit was actually quite good. The rest, however, were a load of tosh)
AssalamuAlaykum

I think you mean Ajmal Masroor right? I think thats his name anyway...the one that went into the pub...

aamirsaab
12-17-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
AssalamuAlaykum

I think you mean Ajmal Masroor right? I think thats his name anyway...the one that went into the pub...
Yeah, Ajmal him. To be fair, he did leave the pub and only went in to get that bloke OUT of it. He then explained the Sharia law bit, which I was really pleased with. Best of all, that explanation is all that was needed.

Re.TiReD
12-17-2007, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Yeah, Ajmal him. To be fair, he did leave the pub and only went in to get that bloke OUT of it. He then explained the Sharia law bit, which I was really pleased with. Best of all, that explanation is all that was needed.
He seems to be the voice of reason in the whole thing...yeah i understand, i was rather shocked when he walked into it...But I liked the way he got the bloke out of there...he speaks in such a way that the other cannot refuse. Masha'Allah

Uthman
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM

The show is set in Harrogate (to the person who asked :))

And I agree Imam Ajmal Masroor was also my favourite.

It annoyed me how the Muhammad guy was unable to defend his point of view due to his limited range of vocab (no offence to him of course it wasn't his fault!). He should have asked them to explain to him exactly what they perceived Shariah law to be and then work from there. Quite often, people assume that they know what Shariah is all about when that is just not the case at all.

And also Sheikh Sulaiman (who I have always liked) failed to explain that it was homosexual practices and acts that are forbidden and not the actual sexual orientation itself. It was ridiculous to suggest that the guy 'chose' to be gay. I don't believe that for one moment.

I do appreciate though that it isn't easy to get the right words out when you're being attacked from all corners. I would probably just panic and have a nervous breakdown haha.

I think I should go on it :D Haha!

So yeah, Ajmal Masroor - my fave. The best communicator and the most understanding of all the mentors. He knows when to laugh and when to be serious.

:w:

chacha_jalebi
12-18-2007, 12:14 AM
no no sheikh sulayman is the best :D

he werent in todays episode lol

i really do hope some of them accept islam,

also they need to do a bit more explainin

and that white girl who is with the bloke he is muslim, she is so annoyin, she is upset with islam, because of her boyfriends family not acceptin her or something, lol go and sort it out with your boyfriend, its got nothin to do with islam psssh

'Abd al-Baari
12-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Sheikh Sulayman was the best too i think :)

This was probably filmed a while ago, but at the moment he's gone for Hajj, :)

Hijaabi22
12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
^ i think yorkshire, that some where near the top of england :D
bRaAaAaAaDdDdFfoRrRrDdDdDdD InItTtTtTttTTttTtTt

Re.TiReD
12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

That young gay gentleman surprised me today! *grin*

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
AssalamuAlaykum

That young gay gentleman surprised me today! *grin*
Assalam-o-Allikum
Yea me too! the ending of the program was really touching... and i was so happy to hear that one of the girls was seriously considering converting

chacha_jalebi
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
^ ya bless his pink socks

but i was hopin someone would convert they didnt . . .

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
^ ya bless his pink socks

but i was hopin someone would convert they didnt . . .
Assalam-o-Allikum...
i was hoping they would have shown us if that girl decided to convert or not, i felt she really embraced islam.. cant remember her name.. the one that worked in the beauty parlour was it?

gladTidings
12-18-2007, 09:38 PM

You guys are fast! People in Harrogate seem to be quite intolerant atleast the ones they approached, I hope its not representing the majority there. I agree with you guys though, some things definately needed better explaining. I missed yesterdays show, what happened to the model girl?

Sis Ayesha I think you may be talking about Hayley. I see potential in her and Luke. It would be interesting to see follow ups, to see if the 3 weeks actually had an impact on their lives.

chacha_jalebi
12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
^ beautifull signature sis

"smile its sunnah"

:D

yeah lol i hope they do a catch up on their lifes

lol i dont know any of their names so bare with me, i didnt like the girl that was the muslim guy, she was just arrogrant and ignorant pssshh

and the pub boy, in the endin he turned out ok :D

we want more programs like that ....

Sahabiyaat
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
i knew someone would start this thread before me

but its no suprise since im not on here 24/7 like SOME members(chacha jee) lol.not that thats a bad thing

i watched all three.

and i agree, explaining islamic matters could have been a bit better.
i found myself formulating versions of exaplnations i thought would have been better and and then accidently shounting them out.
my family were not pleased.they wanted me to shut up and let them watch it in peace :D

i think i liked luke alot

gay people are jusr so nice lol,:hmm: not what they do in their spare time..just their personality, very gentle and understanding of everybody.and i felt so sad when he was sobbing his heart out at his fathers grave.

karla was just a moan alot and i loved the way dawn finally slagged her off and told her to "get over it" lol.

phil.....lord that man needs to be whipped.he was just SO stubborn.i would have given him one tight slap if he had spoken to me the way he did to dawn....dawn has lot of patience.

and omg the african imam guy.they chose him on purpose, but he was funny.he put phil in his place
and also it was hilarious how Allah punished phil cuz he was too stuck up to eat the iftari food.he found the pub not serving food, had to stay hungry for longer and then heat a cold spud in the end.LOLLZ

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-19-2007, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Just watched some of it now...all I can say is that it's a Stupid show. Yes, Stupid with a capital s.

Never trust a 'reality' TV program.

Man, it insults my intelligence to even sit and watch crap like this! :anger:
Assalam o Allikum, how did it offend you? just curious.. i thought the show was really intresting... maybe not completely informative.. but it still gave an insight to how non-muslims viewed islam befor and after their experiences and most of the people came out of the show with a positive outlook on islam...
Especially where i live, i believe it showed how 'ignorant' some people are of islam and this was only a 'taster'

Sahabiyaat
12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
i agree with both
its gud and its bad

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-19-2007, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
It's silly. Dead silly. It's not a documentary worth watching...it's seriously just a bunch of people putting on a show for the camera. The main purpose of it is entertainment, not education.

It reminds me of other stuff like Big Brother, which I detest.

The imams may have noble intentions, but this is definitely not the right platform for Islam to be explained to the masses.

Channel 4 is looking for something 'new' and 'shocking' that will get just get ratings.

Nothing worth watchin...
Assalam o Allikum
i do agree with you, but also on the other hand.. i also believe that when your trying to explain islam to non-muslims ( like the ones dipicted in the show ) it is necesary to take 'baby steps' .
But i do agree with you on the issues you mentioned... but then isnt everything on TV based on gettign ratings and entertainment?
i dont believe the show insulted islam. and i really dont think it was anything like 'big brother' - which has no respect for anything... anyhows... good points good and bad..

Hijaabi22
12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
sho was gud but sum parts of it reali jus wound d hel outta me!! dat fat cow wit dat Ash, sum of the stuf she sed, its like no1ns FORCING u to do it!!

d gay guy was gud

d fat dude dat kept goin2 d pub wound me up bits

but yh sho was gud-------------------->:thumbs_up

snakelegs
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
because of this thread, i watched it last night. i have to agree with alpha dude.
the most interesting thing to me was the gay guy - he seemed the most open minded.
i thought it was funny how the people volunteered to live like this for 3 weeks and yet they found it sooo hard to do. i mean, how hard can it be to make these changes for 3 weeks? they seemed like minor things to me.

The Ruler
12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I think certain bits were to be excluded from the show. For example tid bits from their life before this programme. Tying to watch it with my dad, my mum, and my 13 years-old sis who seems to know way more than I knew at the age, was pretty tough. I had to keep on changing channels and going red every ime "dodgy" bits popped in. They pixelated the bits but the kids know what its hiding. It doesn't help much.

The programme was way too confusing. One moment I see a member condemning Islam, and the next, they're saying what a wonderful religion it is. And I just sat there and thought: "What the chocolate?".

But I must say, the best person out of the lot was Luke. I loved it when he went to the party and yet he took time out to pray. I found his reading of the surah Fatihah quite cute.

The mentors except Ajmal were all crap at presenting Islam properly. When talking about homosexuality, I found Suleyman saying that it just isn't accepted in Islam. He didn't bother explaining properly why it wasn't allowed.

Reasoning with Phil, the athiest, the other Imaam started to quote the Bible. For God's sake, he's not preaching christianity here. And Phil isn't likely to take it as a reason because he's an athiest. Sheesh.

Gah. Not an excellent programme, though it's an ice breaker as it quite didn't present Islam as badly as the media usually does.

Kittygyal
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
sho was gud but sum parts of it reali jus wound d hel outta me!! dat fat cow wit dat Ash, sum of the stuf she sed, its like no1ns FORCING u to do it!!

d gay guy was gud

d fat dude dat kept goin2 d pub wound me up bits

but yh sho was gud-------------------->:thumbs_up

Assalamualikum.

Lol..

I don't even know what you dudes are chatting about...+o(

please help ur ikle sister by showing a link or sumet init..

Love ya && WELCOME BACK.. WERE GOING TO BLAZE LIKE BEFORE :D

Ma'assalama

The Ruler
12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
^http://www.channel4.com/culture/micr...es/makeme.html

Uthman
12-20-2007, 12:14 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
and also it was hilarious how Allah punished phil cuz he was too stuck up to eat the iftari food.he found the pub not serving food, had to stay hungry for longer and then heat a cold spud in the end.LOLLZ
Ah, but I dont' think he even got the spud in the end as Ajmal offered it to the others on the table before Phil arrived because it was 'spare'!

:w:

Talib_Rayhan
12-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I think the show shouldnt have been called 'Make Me A Muslim' because from what i can gather, It was an insight into the day to day life of a Muslim in the hope that non-muslims could get past the whole 'Muslims are strange/bad people' stereotype that does exist in alot of western minds and societies. I dont think the aim of the show was to convert anyone... and I saw the finale and I dont think anybody did convert. I was suprised that the Christian woman who was engaged to the Muslim Brother didnt embrace Islam, as she seemed to be the one who had the most reason and she seemed to almost be practicing.

I really didnt like the part of the show where the gay man called the Imam to his house and then began a barrage of silly questions and before he could be answered began calling the Imam 'narrow minded' (if memory serves me well).

I also didnt like one of the women who said... "They are giving us these tasks to break us down" as though the Muslims taking part in the show had some underhanded brainwashing tactics at the ready, which they obviously didnt.

Overall, Ive seen a similar show which im sure you all know about, "30 Days" which did a show about Muslims in America, I much prefered this show because the participants were given more explanations into what they were actually doing...

Also one thing confused me about 'Make Me A Muslim', The gay man... I dont know fully the rules, But I do know Muslims arent allowed to be gay, Im sure thats Haram right? So if that man had become Muslim, would he have been a gay Muslim? or a former gay man who is now Muslim? Cos Im thinkin he doesnt have much choice as to his sexual preference, so the whole finding him a wife thing would have been folly in my eyes...

Anyways, What do you guys think? (BTW Sorry for my long-windedness, once I start to type my fingers get carried away lol)

thirdwatch512
12-29-2007, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talib_Rayhan

Also one thing confused me about 'Make Me A Muslim', The gay man... I dont know fully the rules, But I do know Muslims arent allowed to be gay, Im sure thats Haram right? So if that man had become Muslim, would he have been a gay Muslim? or a former gay man who is now Muslim? Cos Im thinkin he doesnt have much choice as to his sexual preference, so the whole finding him a wife thing would have been folly in my eyes...
I myself am gay, and I certainly did not choose it. I almost converted to Judaism once, and Judaism has similar views on homosexuality.. In the torah, the punishment for gay sex is death. In the qu'ran, if they are married to other women, it is death, if not, then lashes. So the rulings are both pretty harsh. And, that was the only reason that stopped me from becomming a Jew. Had judaism been gay friends, I would have very quickly converted. (That is not to say that jews in general are a lot more gay friendly. I have many jewish friends who are extremely gay friendly, and in israel it is a crime to discriminate someone off of orientation, and reform and conservative judaism recognize gay rabbi's. But, the torah is still clear on the punishment, whether one wishes to change the interpretation or not.. Leviticus 20!)

I bet that if islam was gay friendly, he would become a muslim!

It is really hard for one to tell you that you can not be with who you love.. that you have to be either celibate(for christianity and judaism) or marry someone who you do not love(in islam, it seems.) I wonder if one could be gay and muslim, even if they still commit zina? I suppose it would be better then comitting shirk or unbelief, hey? Ah, I am not a muslim so will not make such assumptions.

anyways, I watched the three episodes today on youtube because someone suggested me to. It was a pretty good series! But it does show how hard it is for a westerner to change their ways to be muslims. It personally made me be more sympathetic to converts, who have had to make such drastic changes but not only for 3 weeks, but for the rest of their lives!

Sahabiyaat
01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
:D i am awfully sorry to shock u but islam isnt christianity!!

There is no way were going to becum gay friendly, alcohol tolerant etc...just to get more followers! (thats the role of the churches)

i agree its hard to accept Islam (as it is) for reverts,but thats the only way it can be accepted. Its expects you to come clean of what it forbids, not incorporate the sins.What would be the point of Islam then???.it would become something else altogether.

x-samia-x
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian
I think certain bits were to be excluded from the show. For example tid bits from their life before this programme. Tying to watch it with my dad, my mum, and my 13 years-old sis who seems to know way more than I knew at the age, was pretty tough. I had to keep on changing channels and going red every ime "dodgy" bits popped in. They pixelated the bits but the kids know what its hiding. It doesn't help much.

The programme was way too confusing. One moment I see a member condemning Islam, and the next, they're saying what a wonderful religion it is. And I just sat there and thought: "What the chocolate?".

But I must say, the best person out of the lot was Luke. I loved it when he went to the party and yet he took time out to pray. I found his reading of the surah Fatihah quite cute.

The mentors except Ajmal were all crap at presenting Islam properly. When talking about homosexuality, I found Suleyman saying that it just isn't accepted in Islam. He didn't bother explaining properly why it wasn't allowed.

Reasoning with Phil, the athiest, the other Imaam started to quote the Bible. For God's sake, he's not preaching christianity here. And Phil isn't likely to take it as a reason because he's an athiest. Sheesh.

Gah. Not an excellent programme, though it's an ice breaker as it quite didn't present Islam as badly as the media usually does.

yeh i definitely agree with u sis, but i think it showed these muslims as not being open-minded and knowing enough and the right things about their religion. i was getting fustrated sitting ther.. it cud have been done so much better. nevermind...

------
01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
:salamext:

Whoops missed it... So when is the next one coming on?

chacha_jalebi
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
^ they have finished now sis

and seeing as the program is over nothing more to discuss :threadclo

:shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.