/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Soft drinks can damage cells

syilla
12-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Saturday December 15, 2007

‘Soft drinks can damage cells’

PENANG: The Government has been urged to phase out the use of sodium benzoate as a preservative in soft drinks because research has shown that it can cause cell damage.

Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) president S.M. Mohd Idris said recent research done by Professor Peter Piper from Sheffield University in England suggested that this common preservative could “switch off” vital parts of DNA, causing serious cell damage in humans.

“Once the cell is damaged, it might eventually lead to degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease,” Mohd Idris told a press conference here yesterday.

In Malaysia, the use of benzoic acid or sodium benzoate is allowed under the Food Regulation.

Concerned consumer: Mohd Idris showing the sodium benzoate preservative used in some commercial drinks.

The amount of benzoic acid allowed ranges from 2,000ppm (parts per million) in flavoured drink concentrate to 800ppm in soft drinks for direct consumption.

Mohd Idris also urged the Government to curb the marketing of soft drinks and other high-calorie beverages, saying that such drinks are capable of causing a variety of disease like cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and tooth decay.

When contacted, Health Ministry parliamentary secretary Datuk Lee Kah Choon said the ministry was concerned over the matter.

“We will look into the research from various aspects like how it was conducted, what research methods were adapted and how many items were tested,” he said.

He said the ministry would also consult various international organisations including the World Health Organisation on the matter.
source

Concerned consumer: Mohd Idris showing the sodium benzoate preservative used in some commercial drinks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DAWUD_adnan
12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
That's why I only drink natural drinks, Mango, guava etc. (ow, and all of them are made in Mecca or jeddah)

Muhminah123
12-17-2007, 06:46 AM
syilla,

I noticed when I was in Malaysia that the soft drinks are extremely sweet.

There seems to be more sugar in the soft drinks than the same drink in other countries. That, plus the benzoic acid is probably a very bad combination for the health.

syilla
12-17-2007, 06:54 AM
:salamext:

i never drink soft drinks outside malaysia...so i didn't really know.

But i guess, malaysian do love sweet drinks, not just the soft drinks but also the 'teh tarik'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.