/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Algerian `Eid Braves Terror

Amadeus85
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Algerian `Eid Braves Terror

By Abdel Rahman Abu Romi, IOL Correspondent

An Algerian girl plays with a sheep ahead of `Eid Al-Adha. (Reuters)
ALGIERS — "You can bomb our cities, kill our loved ones but you can never steal our lives."

This is the message Algerians are sending to militants who stroke yet again days before `Eid Al-Adha, one of the two main religious festivals in the Islamic calendar.

Many people in the North African country are pouring onto the streets to buy new clothes and Udhiyah (sacrificial sheep) for `Eid.

"We have been saddened by the recent bombings in our country and are sorry for the families whose loved ones have perished in the grisly terror attacks," said Saed, a bank accountant.

"But life must go on and Algerians must celebrate `Eid Al-Adha like their fellow Muslims worldwide."

At least 37 were killed and 177 injured last week in two suicide bombings in the capital Algiers.

One of the blasts tore through the offices of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees while the second killed and maimed students packed in a bus outside the Supreme Court building.

The deadly bombings, claimed by Al-Qaeda's North African branch, have been vehemently condemned by the International Union for Muslim Scholars headed by Sheikh Yusuf el-Qaradawi.

It stressed that such heinous crimes can never be claimed as acts of Jihad.

"The Al-Qaeda terrorists have killed the joy in our hearts," said angry Kamal, a peddler.

"This `Eid is senseless."

Defiant Message

Yet, most of the streets remained as busy as a bee ahead of `Eid Al-Adha, starting on Wednesday, December 19.

New clothes sell briskly in the capital's stores and shops despite soaring prices.

"Our hearts break for the victims but we cannot deprive our children of the `Eid joy," said Zahiya, a teacher, who has just bought new clothes for her kids.

"May their souls rest in peace."

Sheep markets were also teeming with buyers, causing traffic jams in many parts of the capital.

"I have made such a sale this year," said Eissa, a cattle tradesman.

"Many people have bought rams this year, which is far better than the previous one."

He said the market hitting all time low immediately after the bombings only to picked up steam shortly afterwards.

"By weekend, the sales returned to normal and we worked late into the night to meet the growing demand."

A financially-able Muslim sacrifices a single sheep or goat or shares six others in sacrificing a camel or cow as an act of worship during `Eid.

According to the majority of scholars Udhiyah or sacrifice is a confirmed Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

It reminds Muslims of the great act of sacrifice Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) and his son Isma`eel were willing to make for the sake of God.

The busy streets seem like a defiant message to Al-Qaeda that Algerians would not be cowed and would not allow terrorists to rob them of `Eid.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jayda
12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
i did not know muslims did sacrifices... could somebody tell me more about that?

Belief_is_Power
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I hate reading about muslims killing muslims. That will all change very so. inshallah.

Talha777
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
i did not know muslims did sacrifices... could somebody tell me more about that?
Sacrificing animals (qurbani) is part of Islam, and it is done especially on Eid ul Adha. It is to commemorate Prophet Abraham (alaihi salaam) who was willing to sacrifice his own son for sake of Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
12-18-2007, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
It is not a sacrifice in the sense of Christian Sacrifice. It is more of a commemorative act of remembrance and of our need to give from what we have been given. It is the act of slaughtering for meat. As Muslims we are not to look at the slaughtering of live stock as the simple killing of animals for food. It is a genuine gift from Allaah(swt) that we have the meat to eat and it is our obligation to share it. Never forgetting it came from Allaah(swt)

The Sacrifice
Rulings and Conditions*

By IOL Fatwa Editorial Staff

26/1/2004

What is meant by sacrifice and what are its rulings?

Sacrifice is the act of slaughtering. Some of the rulings concern the persons who are slaughtering and others concerned when the slaughter should take place.

Who should sacrifice and what are the conditions?

First, one must have the intention (niyyah) of sacrificing before doing so. The sacrifice has to meet certain conditions, the first of which is the intention. The person who sacrifices must set his or her intention before slaughtering. The sacrifice is not accepted without it because slaughtering is done for different reasons: It could be done for the meat or to get closer to Allah. If the slaughtering is done to seek closeness to Allah, then the intention has to precede the act. It is not required that the person who is actually doing the slaughter mention on whose behalf he is slaughtering because the intention will suffice.

Second, the person who does the slaughtering should be a Muslim. It is preferable that a Muslim do the slaughtering because the sacrifice is an act of worship for the purpose of pleasing Allah Almighty. Therefore it is better if a Muslim does the slaughtering himself or herself. If a Muslim delegates a non-Muslim to slaughter on his behalf, it is acceptable but hated (makruh). This is the opinion of the schools of Ibn Hanbal and Ash-Shafi`i, Abu Thawr, and Ibn Al-Mundhir.

On the other hand, Imam Ahmad and Imam Malik forbid the non-Muslim to slaughter the sacrificial animal; Imam `Ali, Ibn Abbas and Ghabir said it is hated (makruh) for a non-Muslim to slaughter. But Ibn Qudamah argued that if it is permissible for a non-Muslim to slaughter for Muslims for the meat, why should he not be permitted to slaughter for the sacrifice? If a non-believer is permitted to participate in the building of mosques for Muslims, why should he not also be permitted to slaughter the sacrifice for them?

Third, it is preferable for the person who sacrifices to slaughter the sacrificial animal himself or herself. It is preferable for the person sacrificing-be it a man or a woman-to slaughter the animal with his or her own hands. The Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) slaughtered two rams with his own hands.

Fourth, one should say “Bismillah” (In the name of Allah) before slaughtering. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to say when slaughtering, “Bismillah, Allahu Akbar” (In the name of Allah, Allah is the Greatest). Ibn `Umar and Qutadah said they don’t know anyone who disagrees with the foregoing. If one has forgotten to utter these words, the sacrifice will be acceptable; and if one adds to it the following supplication it would be even better according to many scholars: “O Allah, This is from You and unto You, so please accept it from me or from the person on whose behalf I am slaughtering.”
Source: http://www.islamonline.net/english/i...rticle05.shtml

Jayda
12-19-2007, 02:57 PM
gracias

Amadeus85
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
ALGERIA: ATTACKS, INDIGNATION AT AL JAZEERA POLL
(ANSAmed) - ALGIERS, DECEMBER 17 - A poll by satellite TV Al Jazeera on the attacks in Algiers on December 11 has aroused bitter controversy in the Algerian media. "Are you in favour of Al Qaedàs attacks in Algeria?". This is the "scandalous question", daily Liberte writes, proposed by Qatar's channel Al Jazeera, "which makes of the terrorist apology one of the main editorial lines". The daily adds that more serious are the results: a total 54% of the TV audience has answered to be in favour of the double suicide bomb attack in Algiers against the seat of the UN and the Constitutional Court, "a further demonstration of the responsibility of this TV in the propaganda of terrorism and its role of mouthpiece of the Salafite Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC) and Al Qaeda". After the protests, Al Jazeera had to withdraw the poll. On the Internet sites usually used by the extremists, the terrorist organisation has accused the TV of "having censored the results of the poll". (ANSAmed).

http://www.ansamed.info/en/news/ME01.YAM12350.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.