/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hadith and Sunna

MartyrX
12-19-2007, 08:55 PM
I've been studying and studying almost non-stop for some time now. I've come across a few things which I'm a little confused over. I've read that music and dogs are haram in Islam. But according to what I read from another site these are only in the Hadith and Sunna, and are not mentioned as being haram in the Quran.

I guess my question is are these books followed by the majority of Muslims? Are they books from Allah or are they from the minds of men?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Asalaamu alaikum (peace be upon you) brother. :)

Here's an interesting link which will be of great benefit to you insha Allah:

Ahadeeth Myths

http://www.load-islam.com/artical_de...ection=Hadeeth

Hope you benefit from it insha Allah. :)

MartyrX
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the link.

rph105
01-12-2008, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
Thank you for the link.
I'm tryna learn Islam, Inshallah, and I would like to know the answer to this question to, the link provided confuses me as im new to Islam, could someone answer it plain and simple, is the Hadith from minds of men or from Allah?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Omari
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Salamualaikum brothers,

The question posed is; is the hadeeth and sunn'ah books from Allah or people's minds.

This is a very interesting question, before I answer it im going to have to explain to you the definitions of the terms; Hadeeth and Sunn'ah.
The sunn'ah is what the prophet (PBUH)did in his every day life, that we muslims try our best to follow. Because prophet mohammad (PBUH) was the best man who ever took a step on earth, we try our best to follow each of the things he did in his blessed lifetime.

Hadeeth, is a collection of recorded data that people have recorded the prophet (PBUH) saying. There are two types of Hadeeth,
Authentic hadeeth,
Common hadeeth, (this is what i call it)

Authentic hadeeths are teachings and rules in islam that the prophet had said, and everyone gave witness that this was true. These hadeeths are called authentic hadeeth. Example; sahi al bukhari,

Common hadeeth are hadeeths that muslims claim the prophet had said and there is either little or no witness to prove it. However muslims follow these hadeeths as long as it does not conflict with the teachings of the Quran, Authentic hadeeth. or the shariah.

Inshalah my post was beneficial to you.
Remember Allah knows best

Peace be upon you brothers
Omari

rph105
01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omari
Salamualaikum brothers,

The question posed is; is the hadeeth and sunn'ah books from Allah or people's minds.

This is a very interesting question, before I answer it im going to have to explain to you the definitions of the terms; Hadeeth and Sunn'ah.
The sunn'ah is what the prophet (PBUH)did in his every day life, that we muslims try our best to follow. Because prophet mohammad (PBUH) was the best man who ever took a step on earth, we try our best to follow each of the things he did in his blessed lifetime.

Hadeeth, is a collection of recorded data that people have recorded the prophet (PBUH) saying. There are two types of Hadeeth,
Authentic hadeeth,
Common hadeeth, (this is what i call it)

Authentic hadeeths are teachings and rules in islam that the prophet had said, and everyone gave witness that this was true. These hadeeths are called authentic hadeeth. Example; sahi al bukhari,

Common hadeeth are hadeeths that muslims claim the prophet had said and there is either little or no witness to prove it. However muslims follow these hadeeths as long as it does not conflict with the teachings of the Quran, Authentic hadeeth. or the shariah.

Inshalah my post was beneficial to you.
Remember Allah knows best

Peace be upon you brothers
Omari
Thank you that makes much more sense, Peace!

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Authentic hadeeth,
Common hadeeth,
That's not correct. There are authentic hadeeths (saheeh and hasan), weak hadeeths (dha'eef), and fabricated hadeeths (mawdoo'). Maybe these posts will help you to understand the classification of ahaadeeth:

http://www.islamicboard.com/759414-post152.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/760091-post153.html

khairullah
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
and are not mentioned as being haram in the Quran.
As you know that Holy Quran is the direct true words of Allah (swt) and Hadiths a collection of the sayings of prophet Muhammad (PBUH) of course authentic...

I guess my question is are these books followed by the majority of Muslims? Are they books from Allah or are they from the minds of men?
After the holy Quran Hadiths are the most sacred books for Muslims. Because Allah (swt) commandds Muslims several times in the Holy Quran to obey him and his messenger Muhammad (PBUH). And his messenger (PBUH) commanded us to avoid those things.

And obey God and the Apostle; that ye may obtain mercy. The holy Quran [003:132]

Those are limits set by God: those who obey God and His Apostle will be admitted to Gardens with rivers flowing beneath, to abide therein (for ever) and that will be the supreme achievement.The holy Quran [004:013]

Samkurd
01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I am muslim and i have two dogs... But apparantly my arabic teacher said its not haram, its just a cultural thing because back in the day no one liked dogs. She said Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) had two pet cats.

Now about the music... i heard it is haram but i still listen... it does have such a powerful effect on the mind but not if you can control yourself. Apparantly when the Dajjal will reveal itself on earth, it will play beautiful music to lure people into its deadly trap.

mishmish
03-29-2008, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I've been studying and studying almost non-stop for some time now. I've come across a few things which I'm a little confused over. I've read that music and dogs are haram in Islam. But according to what I read from another site these are only in the Hadith and Sunna, and are not mentioned as being haram in the Quran.

:sl:

There are people who call themselves "Submitters". They claim to be Muslims, but don't call themselves Muslims, but only follow quran and not the hadith and sunnah. They are a misguided sect whose leader claimed to be a prophet.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._International

YusufNoor
03-29-2008, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
I am muslim and i have two dogs... But apparantly my arabic teacher said its not haram,

she's your Arabic teacher NOT an Alim! we must NOT call halaal what is haram and visa versa. i don't have a daleel for you though, just offering a word of caution..

its just a cultural thing because back in the day no one liked dogs.

MAYBE there were only wild dogs!?

She said Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) had two pet cats.

which AREN'T dogs, now are they?

Now about the music... i heard it is haram but i still listen... it does have such a powerful effect on the mind but not if you can control yourself.

they way my Imam puts it is that you can't have BOTH music and the Qur'an in your heart. so it's not TOTALLY about the control. i say so because i didn't revert until i was 47 or 48 and there's a TON of music in "my system!" many, many a time i wish it wasn't there

Apparantly when the Dajjal will reveal itself on earth, it will play beautiful music to lure people into its deadly trap.

nice posts by Qatada and Omari...

:w:

FatimaAsSideqah
03-29-2008, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
I am muslim and i have two dogs... But apparantly my arabic teacher said its not haram, its just a cultural thing because back in the day no one liked dogs. She said Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) had two pet cats.

Now about the music... i heard it is haram but i still listen... it does have such a powerful effect on the mind but not if you can control yourself. Apparantly when the Dajjal will reveal itself on earth, it will play beautiful music to lure people into its deadly trap.
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Sayyidna Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, "Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or an animate picture. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith no. 2986)

Sayyidna Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallaahu Ánhuma) reports from Sayyidna Maimoona (Radhiyallaahu Ánha) that once Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) became sad; and said that Jibra'eel (Álayhis Salaam) promised to meet him at night but did not turn up. "By Allah what has kept him back," said the Prophet (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Then he realised a puppy was under his bed. He ordered that the puppy be removed and the area be sprinkled with water. In the afternoon when Jibra'eel (Álayhi Salaam) came, Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) enquired as to the delay. Jibra'eel (Álayhi Salaam) said that we, the group of Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or pictures. (Sahih Muslim Hadith no.3928)

The saliva of a dog is Najis (impure). If it touches the clothes or body, that portion also becomes impure and must be washed. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

In the light of these Ahaadith and other narrations it is not permissible to keep dogs as pets. The household is deprived of the Mercy of Allah Ta'ala.

However, Jurists have stated that it is permissible to keep a dog for security purposes, farming and hunting.

sur
03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rph105
I'm tryna learn Islam, Inshallah, and I would like to know the answer to this question to, the link provided confuses me as im new to Islam, could someone answer it plain and simple, is the Hadith from minds of men or from Allah?
Qur'aan = Message from Allah brought down by Angels, written down during life-time of Prophet Muhammad(saw) & double-checked by him many times.

Sunnah = Actions of Prophet Muhammad, we learn sunnah from Hadees.

Hadees = Actions & sayings of Prophet as recorded by scholars like Imam Bukhari/imam Muslim/Abu Dawood etc, after hearing from chain of narrators & confirming their credibility. Hadees were NOT written during Prophet's lifetime but after his death.

e.g., Imam Muslim collected about 40,000 Ahadees initially & after doing credibility check from multiple sources, declared about 7000 as Authentic.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Hadees = Actions & sayings of Prophet as recorded by scholars like Imam Bukhari/imam Muslim/Abu Dawood etc, after hearing from chain of narrators & confirming their credibility. Hadees were NOT written during Prophet's lifetime but after his death.
Hadiths were collected during the lifetime of the Prophet, Sallalahu aleyh iwa sallam. I was hearing alecture by yasir qahdi, and he confirms this. This is what he said, with slight modification:

Contraty to poplular belief, the sunnah of the Prophet, sallalahu aleyi wa sallam, was written down, or at least the process was started during his sallalahu aleyi wa sallam life time.
Amr al-‘Aas, used to write down the hadeeth of the Prophet sallalahu aleyi wa sallam. Once whilst doing this, a doubt came to him as to whether he should write down everything he said, even his jokes? He went to the Prophet sallalahu aleyi wa sallam, and asked him whether he should write everything down even when he jokes? The Prophet sallalahu aleyi wa sallam pointed to his tongue and said “Uktub” write. For I swear by Allah, nothing comes from this tongue except the truth.
So Amr al-‘Aas, radiallahu used to writre down a hadeeth of the Prophet, sallalahu aleyi wa sallam during his (sallalahu aleyi wa sallam) lifetime.

Source Shiekh Yaasir Qahdis Lecture, Usool al-hadeeth, part 3.

rabarbara2008
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Good post Ramlah.

I hope the brother who asked this question, has some more clearity now.. ?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.