/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad second most popular name

Uthman
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Muhammad is the second most popular name for baby boys in Britain, new research has found.

According to The Times, the name is now second only to Jack and is likely to rise to number one by next year.

The newspaper says the name - if all 14 different spellings are included - was shared by 5,991 new-born boys during last year.

The name's increased popularity is thought to be partly because more young Muslims are having families.

The official register of names puts Mohammed at number 23, but an analysis of the top 3,000 names puts Muhammad in second place once the different spellings are taken into account.

Third on the list was Thomas, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Professor of Ethnic Relations at Warwick University, Muhammad Anwar, said the increased choice of the Muslim name was down to a link with Islam.

He said: "Muslim parents like to have something that shows a link with their religion or with the Prophet [Muhammad]."

The name Muhammad first entered the top 30 list in 2000 and saw a rise of 12% in popularity last year, according to The Times.

It means "one who is praiseworthy".

There are several different versions of the spelling in the UK which can depend on a family's origins and a variance in pronunciation.

Mufti Abdul Barkatullah, formerly an imam at the Finchley mosque in London, said: "In Arab countries, the name Muhammad is said when you don't know the name of someone.

"When you get to the UK, it is essentially about translating the sound of the Arabic into English.

"A non-Arab Muslim would have the name ending in -ed while an Arab Muslim would adopt the -ad ending."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
If we notice that in UK there are 500 000 muslims younger than 15 years old, this news doesnt suprise. It also doesnt suprise me that future of England will be islamic.

crayon
12-20-2007, 01:44 PM
""In Arab countries, the name Muhammad is said when you don't know the name of someone."

LOL so true.:p

YusufNoor
12-20-2007, 01:53 PM
:sl:

why would someone name their kid Jack??????:?

i mean, other than the Union Jack, it's a nickname NOT a real name...:omg:

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
12-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Ermm...no I'm pretty sure Jack is a real name bro! :)

EDIT: Nope, I stand corrected! By Wikipedia no less. It did indeed originate as a nickname.

Brother YusufNoor, I think you may have missed the point of the article ever so slightly! :hmm:

Muezzin
12-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Jack was originally a nickname for John, but what that has to do with the name Muhammad is beyond my limited powers of deduction.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
so just what does jack mean?!

this all popular famous name which is normally mentioned in association with the derogetarive term for human faeces?!

you dont know jackfaeces !

YusufNoor
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Ermm...no I'm pretty sure Jack is a real name bro! :)

EDIT: Nope, I stand corrected! By Wikipedia no less. It did indeed originate as a nickname.

Brother YusufNoor, I think you may have missed the point of the article ever so slightly! :hmm:

Jack is a nickname for someone named John, which Brit's use Ian for anyway. and SOO HARD to greet at an airport! [hi Jack! boom you're arrested] ;D

i didn't miss your point. other than always wondering why the name Muhammad is spelled in so many ways, i was wondering what #1 was!

of course when i saw this:

If we notice that in UK there are 500 000 muslims younger than 15 years old, this news doesnt suprise. It also doesnt suprise me that future of England will be islamic.
i thought: with all of the asabiyyah, i'm not so sure Aaron85 need worry. :hmm:

i also wonder why the hadeeth that says that the names that Allah, Subhannahu Wa Ta' Aala loves most are Abdullah and Abdur Rahman, why are THEY the most popular names...:mmokay:

crayon
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Jack is a nickname for John?
okeyyyyyy.:?
That's weird.

Gator
12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
A quick question. What percentage of muslim kids are named Muhammed? 1 out of 10? 7 out of 10? Anyone know or care to take a guess?

If its high it would explain why its up there.

Fishman
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I doubt that Britain will be Islamic anytime soon. Some day Muslims will stop immigrating to Britain, replaced by another group of immigrants. Britain will be multicultural in the future, most likely. I hope there will be a day when people will think of skin colour in the same way as hair or eye colour. Nobody would beat a man in the streets because he has brown hair, so why do they when people have brown skin?

Amadeus85
12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I doubt that Britain will be Islamic anytime soon. Some day Muslims will stop immigrating to Britain, replaced by another group of immigrants. Britain will be multicultural in the future, most likely. I hope there will be a day when people will think of skin colour in the same way as hair or eye colour. Nobody would beat a man in the streets because he has brown hair, so why do they when people have brown skin?
Maybe you dont know but nowadays majority of racism victims in England are whites.

Muezzin
12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
We've gone from 'Ponderings of Jack', to 'Being Brown, British & Bullied', and finally to 'Why it's Not Wonderful Being White'.

Maybe we should get back to the topic of the thread before everyone starts cyber-brawlin'?

Talha777
12-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Insha Allah I will give the first name Muhammad to every son of mine that I have. Its a family tradition actually.

Trumble
12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I doubt that Britain will be Islamic anytime soon. Some day Muslims will stop immigrating to Britain, replaced by another group of immigrants.
Already happened, pretty much. I suspect at the moment there are far more 'immigrants' (inverted commas as all EU citizens have the right to live and reside in the UK) from Poland and Eastern Europe than from all the predominantly muslim countries (and India) put together. Give it a few years and their babies will be arriving in bulk too, but England will no more more become 'Catholic' than it will 'Islamic'.

Britain will be multicultural in the future, most likely. I hope there will be a day when people will think of skin colour in the same way as hair or eye colour. Nobody would beat a man in the streets because he has brown hair, so why do they when people have brown skin?
On an optimistic note although there is still racist violence there is far less of it than there used to be. Kids who grow up in a multicultural environment become multicultural.. it just takes a generation or two.

Cognescenti
12-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Too bad it's not Puerto Rico or East Los Angeles. Then we would have the hilarious situation of half the boys named Jesus (pronounce HaySOOS in Spanish) and the other half Muhammed.

I take care of a patient who is in foster care and his foster mom is in the process of adopting him so he still has his birth surname which is the name of the religion which originated on the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century. He had some goofy, made-up first name but she calls him by the given name she has chosen for him which describes a follower of Jesus. :D You will have to figure out what it says on his insurance card so I don't violate confidentiality. :thankyou:

format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Insha Allah I will give the first name Muhammad to every son of mine that I have. Its a family tradition actually.
George Foreman tried that with "George". Not sure how it worked out.

It would be funny when there is a baseball chucked throught the kitchen window and mom says..."OK, who did it?"

All the boys point at each other and say in unison..."Muhammed did"

Amadeus85
12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Too bad it's not Puerto Rico or East Los Angeles. Then we would have the hilarious situation of half the boys named Jesus (pronounce HaySOOS in Spanish) and the other half Muhammed.
In Puerto Rico half of boys are named Muhammed? ^o)

crayon
12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm guessing he meant that half of the boys are called jesus, so if a lot of muslims lived there and called their boys muhammad, the entire country would be comprised of jesus's and muhammad's. :p

Lina
12-23-2007, 02:28 AM
They don't know jack.

Uthman
12-23-2007, 02:27 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Lina
They don't know jack.
Actually took me a while to get that one.

Fishman
12-23-2007, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Maybe you dont know but nowadays majority of racism victims in England are whites.
I am white, British and Muslim. Guess which one I am picked on most for? I wish people will stop spouting this 'anti-white racism happens all the time' nonsense. Anti-white racism does happen, but firstly, it is no where near as common as hating immigrants or Muslims, and secondly when it does happen it almost never used as an insult and is never reported.

north_malaysian
12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti

It would be funny when there is a baseball chucked throught the kitchen window and mom says..."OK, who did it?"

All the boys point at each other and say in unison..."Muhammed did"
Actually, the Muhammads usually have middle names. For example

Muhammad Adli Bin Abdullah
Muhammad Shakir Bin Abdullah
Muhammad Isa Bin Abdullah

...thus when the parents, teachers or friends wanna call their names, they would call the middle names... so there would be no problems as being mentioned above.

3/4 of my Muslim male friends have Muhammad in their names. But I never call any of them Muhammad... as they prefer to use their middle names.

ummzayd
12-24-2007, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Actually, the Muhammads usually have middle names. For example

Muhammad Adli Bin Abdullah
Muhammad Shakir Bin Abdullah
Muhammad Isa Bin Abdullah

...thus when the parents, teachers or friends wanna call their names, they would call the middle names... so there would be no problems as being mentioned above.

3/4 of my Muslim male friends have Muhammad in their names. But I never call any of them Muhammad... as they prefer to use their middle names.

that's kind of strange to me. surely you give your child a name with the intention that that is what they will be called by? If you give them a name and then always call them something else (which you MUST if you are going to call them all the same name lol) that just defeats the purpose of them having the name you originally gave them.....isn't your name what people call you?.....ohmigosh I must go and lie down now my head hurts.

when I saw this article last week I knew the daily mail element would start jumping up and down and jabbering about england being doomed etc. etc. However I would just like to point out that no other community in the UK has such a strong tradition of being given one particular first name. I don't know what the percentage of Muslim babies called Muhammad is, but I guess it's very high. If all the Irish people called their children 'Patrick' then Patrick would probably be near the top the list, or if all Jewish people called their boys 'Isaac' the same would apply. also, notice that there is no equivalent Muslim girl's name near the top of the girls' names list. I would be interested to find out what spot the first Muslim girl's name occupies on that list.

north_malaysian
12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd

that's kind of strange to me. surely you give your child a name with the intention that that is what they will be called by? If you give them a name and then always call them something else (which you MUST if you are going to call them all the same name lol) that just defeats the purpose of them having the name you originally gave them.....isn't your name what people call you?.....ohmigosh I must go and lie down now my head hurts.
Malays have a very strange culture, they give their kids a very long name, but most of the time they called their kids in other names..

for example, Muhammad Khairul Nizam Hady Bin Muhammad Salleh... but the parents and friends would ended up calling him "Boboi"... weird huh?:?

ummzayd
12-24-2007, 11:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Malays have a very strange culture, they give their kids a very long name, but most of the time they called their kids in other names..

for example, Muhammad Khairul Nizam Hady Bin Muhammad Salleh... but the parents and friends would ended up calling him "Boboi"... weird huh?:?
LOL! yes my youngest is called abdurrahman and my husband calls him aboudy/booboo/abididoodee etc.(he's an arab).

north_malaysian
12-24-2007, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd
LOL! yes my youngest is called abdurrahman and my husband calls him aboudy/booboo/abididoodee etc.(he's an arab).
LOLs.... especially "abididoodee"..

crayon
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I love the name Abdulrahman, that's going to be the name of my son someday, inshallah, lol. Along with Yusuf and Mariam.;P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.